CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
bcolinc
JerseyBird
ConwayGamecock
Latti
usc1
kingofnerf
FanofCarolina1
Seladen
Gamecocks1137
The Yancey
**USC vs. Clemson GA (4978)
looks like we have 2 (1894)
Decommitment from Te (858)
Beat Miami (767)
BEST GAMECOCK FOOTBA (578)
Cleveland Browns Hea (573)
Duck Bowl Depth Char (573)
Frank Martin's Game (566)
Garcia and Clemsux T (566)
Need a dog kennel (202)
2015 - Mark Fields
2015 - Jeremiah Dinson -
Tanner McEvoy to start fo
**USC vs. Clemson GAME Th
Bowl packages
So, why is next year goin
Cleveland Browns Headshot
Four USC Basketball Games
Beat Miami
Previewing Clemson

Old 09-01-2014, 11:41 AM   #41
MrED
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 500
MrED has earned his spursMrED has earned his spursMrED has earned his spursMrED has earned his spursMrED has earned his spursMrED has earned his spurs
Default Re: (50 minute Replay) USC vs aTm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofyboy View Post
I counted 39 missed tackles in 13 drives. A few were 2 on the same run (usually after catch). Five would have stopped drives. I actually saw one hard hit. I was impressed even more this time by Pharoh and Byrd. Nick played well with only the two misses. Wilds showed some game. Carson can contribute, but not so much on kick returns. Shaq got manhandled and interfered with a few times, but he will do better at fighting through it, I think. Jerrell Adams and Busta looked good, but I think Jerrell is a better target up high. We ran the sweeps better than the inside stuff, probably because they schemed to stop our inside game. I think we were a little better in the 4-3. We probably need to tackle live in practice even though some might get banged-up. Knee braces and those anti-concussion helmet covers, please.
That's kind of huge if true. 5 missed tackles that would've stopped drives. Considering they scored almost every possession that's basically spotting TAMU 35 pts. In some regards that makes me feel better, I guess.

My thoughts are that lack of physical practice in the preseason may have caused this. I don't think its a big issue during the season because they are getting live action every week. But gotta have them prepared for the season opener.
MrED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 11:54 AM   #42
ZenUSC
Starter

Male

ZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelin View Post
Watched the replay this morning. It's edited down to 50 minutes with live play only.

The offense wasn't that bad. Had some of the dropped passes in the first half been caught, it would have been close at halftime. Other than that, the defense is definitely the reason we lost this game.

What changes would you make this week with the personnel we have available?

Darius needs to make his presence known. I don't think I evr saw him.
Chaz Elder played a bad game.
A Harris isn't big enough to play physical. Heck, WRs are huge now.
Assignment football is ok vs an option offense but vs TAMU it meant guys were afraid to leave their area and go after the guy with the ball.
The DL needs to hold their hands up when they get near the QB as he is releasing. Kenny Hill threw 60 times without a tip.
ZenUSC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 12:25 PM   #43
fridayserv
4-Star

Male

fridayserv is making other chickens nervousfridayserv is making other chickens nervousfridayserv is making other chickens nervousfridayserv is making other chickens nervousfridayserv is making other chickens nervousfridayserv is making other chickens nervousfridayserv is making other chickens nervousfridayserv is making other chickens nervous

I see a lot of great analysis but it all come down to the numbers game. For example the 3/4 A&M countered with the quick out because our DB's were 10 yards back. Picked up 8 to 10 almost everytime. 3 DL against 5 OL and 1 RB. We did not win one time. 4 DL against 5OL, 1TE an 1 RB, no match along with the fact we were playing soft zone. NO DB's in the SEC can hold A&M for 5 to 7 seconds. It is very simple, if the offense has 5 OL send 6 On the DL if you are going to play a soft zone. When the RB starts out to the flat bring up the corner to the line before they get a 10 yard cushion with two blockers. We simply got outcoached and it is very clear in the video. Lastly, why does the defense take so long to get the plays in. A&M looked well coached, we looked lost.
fridayserv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 12:29 PM   #44
G&B
purple nurple

Male

CockyCash: 520
G&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot material

Going back and looking I didn't see a lot of actual 3-4 based defense. I saw a bunch of bastardized formation sets that looked more like a 4-4-3 prevent defense in about 80% of the formations. what a cluster...
Old 09-01-2014, 12:39 PM   #45
ZenUSC
Starter

Male

ZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by fridayserv View Post
I see a lot of great analysis but it all come down to the numbers game. For example the 3/4 A&M countered with the quick out because our DB's were 10 yards back. Picked up 8 to 10 almost everytime. 3 DL against 5 OL and 1 RB. We did not win one time. 4 DL against 5OL, 1TE an 1 RB, no match along with the fact we were playing soft zone. NO DB's in the SEC can hold A&M for 5 to 7 seconds. It is very simple, if the offense has 5 OL send 6 On the DL if you are going to play a soft zone. When the RB starts out to the flat bring up the corner to the line before they get a 10 yard cushion with two blockers. We simply got outcoached and it is very clear in the video. Lastly, why does the defense take so long to get the plays in. A&M looked well coached, we looked lost.
Agreed. It didn't look like we were prepared for anything Tamu did. I think we waited till Sat to start preparing for Tamu. Reporters kept asking USC players if they had started preparing yet for Tamo and usually they said no. It seemed like we waited too late and showed up with little preparation on D. There seemed to be no urgentcy among the coaches about Tamu. It seemed like an odd summer camp this year.
ZenUSC is online now   Reply With Quote