CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
WeStillOwnUSC
COCKYTALKIN
thekob
El Cid Ranger
MountainCock
kingoftheroost
taylorssc
GarnetSwarm1990
USCNowAndForever
I Bleed Garnet
Key for 2015 defense (1119)
Skai Moore out for U (951)
Women's Team Ranked (640)
Lebron makes Clevela (540)
Troubles in Tigertow (527)
SEC Coaches Dress Up (379)
Cockaboose Video (326)
TN game weather (315)
Who is your favorite (247)
Marvel releases movi (160)
Key for 2015 defense
Who is your favorite play
Uniforms for Tenn
TN game weather
Stanley Doughty Needs spi
Perry Dozier Jr. (2015 Pr
Name a Gamecock
We're going to the NCAA T
BLACK OUT!!!!!!!
FSU vs. Louisville

Old 09-01-2014, 09:34 AM   #41
ZenUSC
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 500
ZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPit
Default Re: What changes can and will SOS and the defensive staff make

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post
As crazy as it sounds I would stick with the 3 man fronts. I would play 3 dtackles and stand English up at linebacker.

Something like a 3-3-5:

DL: Lamin, Griffin, Dixon
LB: Moore, Walton, English
DB: Williams, Elder, Lammons, Harris, Diggs

It'll probably never happen but that's what I would like to see.
More of the 3 man front? God help us!

Last edited by ZenUSC; 09-01-2014 at 09:49 AM.
ZenUSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 09:36 AM   #42
COCKYTALKIN
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 24390296
COCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by henmania View Post
Where is Golightly in your scheme? Best tackler on the team.
... and Gurley, he is the only guy to defend a pass all night. He defended 2.
Old 09-01-2014, 10:16 AM   #43
rabid cock
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 300
rabid cock has earned his spursrabid cock has earned his spursrabid cock has earned his spursrabid cock has earned his spursrabid cock has earned his spursrabid cock has earned his spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuhn View Post
After watching the game film, Ward will be banned from football for life. Several starters on defense will be executed to set an example. Hey, it worked for the Aztecs.
Let's not lose our heads.
rabid cock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 10:50 AM   #44
Goofyboy
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Goofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAGamecockFan View Post
Hate to say it but I agree with this. No excuse for why USC hasn't recruited better with our recent success. In the short term, stress tackling fundamentals. WRAP UP!
All this "recruit better" stuff sounds as informed as "grow an inch taller." Easy to say; hard to do. Uninformed views of a complex issue are a dime a dozen. But that's another topic.
Goofyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 11:08 AM   #45
conwaycock2
Two Deep

Male

conwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofyboy View Post
All this "recruit better" stuff sounds as informed as "grow an inch taller." Easy to say; hard to do. Uninformed views of a complex issue are a dime a dozen. But that's another topic.
Nope, not easy, not simple. But that's where it starts. You think this team has difference makers at DE? Think there's a reason why we're having to start/play 2 true freshman substantial minutes at CB who are clearly not physically ready to play? Goes back to misses, bad evaluations, & plain bad luck on getting some players in school. So yeah, this goes back to recruiting or lack there of.

The other option is we have fantastic players who are either sitting on the bench or not being coached. If that were the case I'd like for somebody to identify those guys because I just haven't seen them & apparently neither have our coaches.
conwaycock2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 11:31 AM   #46
Beebop
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 550
Beebop is crowing loudlyBeebop is crowing loudlyBeebop is crowing loudlyBeebop is crowing loudlyBeebop is crowing loudlyBeebop is crowing loudlyBeebop is crowing loudlyBeebop is crowing loudlyBeebop is crowing loudlyBeebop is crowing loudlyBeebop is crowing loudly

My .02!! Having played Free Safety at the JC level(which doesn't mean a whole lot) but, here's my opinion:

1) We have talent, especially at the DB position. What we don't have is experienced talent. I can tell you the transition from high school ball to college ball (at any level) is not easy to make. Your hardest hit in high shool is every hit in college. Your fastest guy in high school is every guy in college, so forth and so on.
2) Sumlin out-coached us: we all knew he was going to test our DB's because they are young. I know I for one expected him to test us vertically. Test our speed and our endurance. But he did NOT do that, instead he tested us physically. There top (4) leading receivers average 6'2" 203 lbs. versus our DB's who average 5'11" 185 lbs. Our DB's could not fight through the blocks of the bigger WR's from A&M.
3) When we couldn't out physical them we had to back off and try to outmanuever them. Welcome to the SEC DB's, where everybody is as fast as you are!! What is the cause of this wake up call?
4) Practice!! I understand why, but Spurrier doesn't like for our guys to be very physical nor go "All out" really in practice so that everyone is healthy. (why do you think we have so many hamstrings issues???) They don't practice fast so they come in without the experience of the "True speed" of the game and it blows them away as "Freshmen". And while it's true that not everyone is a freshman, it doesn't help much when your support staff is, especially on the field in a game time situation.

So what do we do?
1) practice faster! Game speed in every drill, every exercise, every scout team play, etc...(let the scout teamers know that this is their chance to shine. Go out and play 100% in practice and you may just earn the opportunity to dress out and get in on a play or two). This will give the inexperience players a real understanding of what is coming at game time.
2) practice harder/more physical! Don't blow the dadgum whistle as soon as one of our LB's two hand touches them. Make them follow through with the tackle. Make them lay the wood on somebody. Make them run through the blocker! That's why you have 85 scholarship players on a team, to have the numbers needed to play the game!
3) Repetition: go through the game plan over and over and over again. And, as soon as you think you know it, go through it (2) more times. You can never be too prepared for a football game! How many times last week did we see our defense with thier arms up in the air questioning what/where they were supposed to be? This is a lack of prepardness and that falls solely on the shoulders of Whammy!
4) When the lights come on, have fun playing the game! Make all the previous weeks hard work worth it! Short term memory is the one thing that can not be taught nor coached up. It's something that each individual player has to instill in himself. Once a play is over, it's just that, OVER! After each play you have to either forget the heroics, shrug off the congratulations, atone for your mistake or gather your composure! Because there is another play that is about to take place and you have to focus and concentrate on that one, not the one that just happened.

Champions win! Champions lose! Champions get better after every single play!
Old 09-01-2014, 11:58 AM   #47
jayceecock
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 573
jayceecock rules the CockPitjayceecock rules the CockPitjayceecock rules the CockPitjayceecock rules the CockPitjayceecock rules the CockPitjayceecock rules the CockPitjayceecock rules the CockPitjayceecock rules the CockPitjayceecock rules the CockPitjayceecock rules the CockPitjayceecock rules the CockPit

Anybody watch the Navy-Ohio St game or Wisconsin-LSU?

Both games drew my interest because Navy and Wisconsin employ a 3-4 defense and they were playing ranked opponents.

Navy held Ohio State to two field goals in the first half, and were only down by three early in the fourth quarter. How is this possible with a bunch of no stars/two stars going against a team that is loaded with 4 and 5 stars?

Wisconsin had to replace the whole starting 7 on defense (DL and LBs), as well as the SS. Their DL averaged 6'2, 245. Badgers held the LSU rushing attack to 16 yards in the first half. LSU's lone TD in the first half came on a scramble when a receiver got loose and the freshman SS failed to help over the top when he got sucked in. Wisconsin eventually lost 28-24 when 2/3 of their starting DL were injured and an ineffective Badger offense forced the defense on the field too long.

My point is it's not the scheme. It's not who has more 4/5 stars. It's not about who's bigger, faster and stronger.

It's coaching and execution. It's tackling and playing hard on every play. It's about 11 guys on the field playing as a team and wanting to win.

Yes, Navy and Wisconsin lost. But it wasn't on the defense.

That crap I saw on Thurs night was embarassing. We can blame the scheme, but we lost because we didn't play fundamental football. Didn't wrap up and tackle. Didn't play with great effort. We didn't attack, and played on our heels all night. We didn't play physical.

Coaching staff can fix these things. They better find out this week who wants to play football or ECU will make a long night for the defense.
jayceecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 12:06 PM   #48
ZenUSC
Two Deep

Male

ZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayceecock View Post
Anybody watch the Navy-Ohio St game or Wisconsin-LSU?

Both games drew my interest because Navy and Wisconsin employ a 3-4 defense and they were playing ranked opponents.

Navy held Ohio State to two field goals in the first half, and were only down by three early in the fourth quarter. How is this possible with a bunch of no stars/two stars going against a team that is loaded with 4 and 5 stars?

Wisconsin had to replace the whole starting 7 on defense (DL and LBs), as well as the SS. Their DL averaged 6'2, 245. Badgers held the LSU rushing attack to 16 yards in the first half. LSU's lone TD in the first half came on a scramble when a receiver got loose and the freshman SS failed to help over the top when he got sucked in. Wisconsin eventually lost 28-24 when 2/3 of their starting DL were injured and an ineffective Badger offense forced the defense on the field too long.

My point is it's not the scheme. It's not who has more 4/5 stars. It's not about who's bigger, faster and stronger.

It's coaching and execution. It's tackling and playing hard on every play. It's about 11 guys on the field playing as a team and wanting to win.

Yes, Navy and Wisconsin lost. But it wasn't on the defense.

That crap I saw on Thurs night was embarassing. We can blame the scheme, but we lost because we didn't play fundamental football. Didn't wrap up and tackle. Didn't play with great effort. We didn't attack, and played on our heels all night. We didn't play physical.

Coaching staff can fix these things. They better find out this week who wants to play football or ECU will make a long night for the defense.
On the good side of the D's lousy performance it looked like there are a lot of negatives that are fixable as far as LB and DB play.
Dunno about the DL though. Except for Gerald Dixon there seemed to be no real players there.
Old 09-01-2014, 12:22 PM   #49
carolina_corpsman
Blue Chip

Male

carolina_corpsman is crowing loudlycarolina_corpsman is crowing loudlycarolina_corpsman is crowing loudlycarolina_corpsman is crowing loudlycarolina_corpsman is crowing loudlycarolina_corpsman is crowing loudlycarolina_corpsman is crowing loudlycarolina_corpsman is crowing loudlycarolina_corpsman is crowing loudlycarolina_corpsman is crowing loudlycarolina_corpsman is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beebop View Post
My .02!! Having played Free Safety at the JC level(which doesn't mean a whole lot) but, here's my opinion:

1) We have talent, especially at the DB position. What we don't have is experienced talent. I can tell you the transition from high school ball to college ball (at any level) is not easy to make. Your hardest hit in high shool is every hit in college. Your fastest guy in high school is every guy in college, so forth and so on.
2) Sumlin out-coached us: we all knew he was going to test our DB's because they are young. I know I for one expected him to test us vertically. Test our speed and our endurance. But he did NOT do that, instead he tested us physically. There top (4) leading receivers average 6'2" 203 lbs. versus our DB's who average 5'11" 185 lbs. Our DB's could not fight through the blocks of the bigger WR's from A&M.
3) When we couldn't out physical them we had to back off and try to outmanuever them. Welcome to the SEC DB's, where everybody is as fast as you are!! What is the cause of this wake up call?
4) Practice!! I understand why, but Spurrier doesn't like for our guys to be very physical nor go "All out" really in practice so that everyone is healthy. (why do you think we have so many hamstrings issues???) They don't practice fast so they come in without the experience of the "True speed" of the game and it blows them away as "Freshmen". And while it's true that not everyone is a freshman, it doesn't help much when your support staff is, especially on the field in a game time situation.

So what do we do?
1) practice faster! Game speed in every drill, every exercise, every scout team play, etc...(let the scout teamers know that this is their chance to shine. Go out and play 100% in practice and you may just earn the opportunity to dress out and get in on a play or two). This will give the inexperience players a real understanding of what is coming at game time.
2) practice harder/more physical! Don't blow the dadgum whistle as soon as one of our LB's two hand touches them. Make them follow through with the tackle. Make them lay the wood on somebody. Make them run through the blocker! That's why you have 85 scholarship players on a team, to have the numbers needed to play the game!
3) Repetition: go through the game plan over and over and over again. And, as soon as you think you know it, go through it (2) more times. You can never be too prepared for a football game! How many times last week did we see our defense with thier arms up in the air questioning what/where they were supposed to be? This is a lack of prepardness and that falls solely on the shoulders of Whammy!
4) When the lights come on, have fun playing the game! Make all the previous weeks hard work worth it! Short term memory is the one thing that can not be taught nor coached up. It's something that each individual player has to instill in himself. Once a play is over, it's just that, OVER! After each play you have to either forget the heroics, shrug off the congratulations, atone for your mistake or gather your composure! Because there is another play that is about to take place and you have to focus and concentrate on that one, not the one that just happened.

Sounds about right. I have never understood why you would not want to practice at a game speed but apparently SOS knows better. I hope they let the starters know that they need to earn their spot every week , and let the scouts fight them for it.
carolina_corpsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 12:40 PM   #50
fridayserv
4-Star

Male

fridayserv is making other chickens nervousfridayserv is making other chickens nervousfridayserv is making other chickens nervousfridayserv is making other chickens nervousfridayserv is making other chickens nervousfridayserv is making other chickens nervousfridayserv is making other chickens nervousfridayserv is making other chickens nervous

Quote:

So what do we do?

Great Comment! It all start with the coaches who did not have the right gameplan because of the unknown factors and did not make adjustments during the game. A&M coaches had the right gameplan for our defense and Offense. We talked about the 3/4 A&M kept 5OL, 1 TE, 1 RB to protect the QB. A&M ran power sweeps against the 3/4 that each time gave 5 to 7 yards. A&M play the numbers game on every play. We can't expect to win playing our DB's 10 yards back and safety back further. A&M used the quick throw to perfection between the LB's and DB"S. We just got out coached. The reason we did not get any pressure on the QB is because of the numbers. 3 DL against 5OL, 1 RB we lost everytime. 4DL against 5 OL, 1 TE, 1 RB we lost every time. Give A&M credit they are like our players great in open space. Give our players a 10 yard cushion in space and I assure you there will be a lot of missed tackles.
fridayserv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 12:57 PM   #51
ZenUSC
Two Deep

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by fridayserv View Post
Great Comment! It all start with the coaches who did not have the right gameplan because of the unknown factors and did not make adjustments during the game. A&M coaches had the right gameplan for our defense and Offense. We talked about the 3/4 A&M kept 5OL, 1 TE, 1 RB to protect the QB. A&M ran power sweeps against the 3/4 that each time gave 5 to 7 yards. A&M play the numbers game on every play. We can't expect to win playing our DB's 10 yards back and safety back further. A&M used the quick throw to perfection between the LB's and DB"S. We just got out coached. The reason we did not get any pressure on the QB is because of the numbers. 3 DL against 5OL, 1 RB we lost everytime. 4DL against 5 OL, 1 TE, 1 RB we lost every time. Give A&M credit they are like our players great in open space. Give our players a 10 yard cushion in space and I assure you there will be a lot of missed tackles.
In the 1st half Tamu was able to double team some of our DL because they had 5 blockers vs 4 or 3 guys. I never saw where any OL or a FB was left out on a limb by themselves. If you needed help blocking one of our guys you could easily get it.
Old 09-01-2014, 03:20 PM   #52
gamecock ray
Recruit

Male

gamecock ray has earned his spursgamecock ray has earned his spursgamecock ray has earned his spursgamecock ray has earned his spursgamecock ray has earned his spursgamecock ray has earned his spursgamecock ray has earned his spurs

Go back to the 4-2-5 and TACKLE. TACKLING WAS AWFUL. It's okay if they catch the ball. It's the run after the catch that killed us.
gamecock ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 04:49 PM   #53
c0ckkn0cker
Walk On

Male

c0ckkn0cker has hatched from the shell

I think we need to pick a scheme and stick to it. I don't think you can efficiently run both a 3-4 or 4-2-2 in college. Not enough practice time to in college to do both. I think our personnel right now fit the 3-4 but you have to completely commit to it. You gotta know the ins and outs of your scheme like the back of your hand to execute against good teams.
c0ckkn0cker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 05:00 PM   #54
gamecock88
All Everything

Male

CockyCash: 200
gamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot material

Quote:

So what do we do?

Excellent post. Post more often.
gamecock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 05:09 PM   #55
eklypised
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
eklypised rules the CockPiteklypised rules the CockPiteklypised rules the CockPiteklypised rules the CockPiteklypised rules the CockPiteklypised rules the CockPiteklypised rules the CockPiteklypised rules the CockPiteklypised rules the CockPiteklypised rules the CockPiteklypised rules the CockPit

We have good size at DL across the board. Did Dukes or Deon Green play last week?
eklypised is offline   Reply With Quote