CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
johnnyb
Order 66
QCB
markp_vip
l^l^lBGCock
ChickenButt
taylorssc
Gamecocks321
ScottK
No Comments on the H (1258)
Call of Duty: Advanc (404)
Freshman ND WR " (329)
NFL: CHARGERS @ BRON (278)
Vote For Cocky (166)
Things They Should H (160)
Good Riddance to bad (157)
Keeping tailgate foo (147)
An A to Z of Noah We (77)
Vote For Cocky
Which loss hurt worse, Mi
So Disappointed With The
Texas athletic director:
BAW
Keeping tailgate food saf
Roll call for Auburn
Discussion: 2015 Recruiti
Who start on the d line t
The Gator Bowl wants us!

Old 09-01-2014, 08:49 PM   #41
18IsTheMan
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 500
18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs
Default Re: The Demise of the 3-4

One thing not to forget is that, production aside, Clowney occupied 2 o-linemen most of the time. We no longer have that luxury and I think it's going to hurt a lot more than was anticipated.
18IsTheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 08:54 PM   #42
Dizzy01
Game MVP

Male

Dizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadR00ster View Post
My understanding is they we were not planning on playing one style but being multiple and going more with what worked better... which was nothing we did. I have hard time believing that trying to play tight man coverage would have made a difference. They would have burned by Seals-Jones and Noil either way. We just have no one that can cover those dudes.
When is the last time the team played tight man coverage? Johnson brought the bend then break pass defense and Ward is just continuing the tradition.
Dizzy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 09:40 PM   #43
Roosterboy
Household Name

Male

Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by zcoop View Post
The 3-4 is not a bad defense, it just takes time for it to be imbedded into a system personnel wise. Alabama, UGA, Oklahoma and other top teams have been using is effectively for years.

We didn't get beat by the 3-4 on that side of the ball, our players just didn't execute their assignments. I hope we don't totally scrap it because of the perception that it is bad.

It just seemed like a crazy change.
Not only do we not have the personnel to run it, our current Dline under Deke Adams have a philosophy that is counter-intutitive to running a 3-4. As a Dlineman, your job in the a 3-4 is not to disrupt, but to act like an offensive lineman, eat up blockers and keep the line off your linebackers.

Our Dlineman for hte past few years have been taught to go get the ball, and that is something Adams has really pushed, using a bull rush exclusively.

If you go back and watch the game (I know...I haven't wanted to either) you will see our linemen shooting up field likey they are playing in a 4-2...but that allowed the the Olinemen to get the the second level and take out our LBs.

I agree though, it really wouldn't have mattered what D we ran when we give a 10-yard cushion to every pass.
1975, 1977, 1981, 1982, 1985, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012
Two-time National Champs

Roosterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 09:42 PM   #44
Roosterboy
Household Name

Male

Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy01 View Post
When is the last time the team played tight man coverage? Johnson brought the bend then break pass defense and Ward is just continuing the tradition.
I would love to see our corners get in the guys face and go one-on-one next week. If the guys get beat, they get beat...but anything would be better than seeing us give guys easy quick throws (the thing TAMU thrives on and we played right into it...and it is the same thing ECU thrives on).

I'm serious, this Saturday is a gut check for Ward and the defensive staff.
Do they make the necesarry changes, or do they stubbornly stick to what they did last week, thinking it will finally start working.
1975, 1977, 1981, 1982, 1985, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012
Two-time National Champs

Roosterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 09:42 PM   #45
GSC2013
4-Star

Male

GSC2013 is crowing loudlyGSC2013 is crowing loudlyGSC2013 is crowing loudlyGSC2013 is crowing loudlyGSC2013 is crowing loudlyGSC2013 is crowing loudlyGSC2013 is crowing loudlyGSC2013 is crowing loudlyGSC2013 is crowing loudlyGSC2013 is crowing loudlyGSC2013 is crowing loudly

How the heck did UGA steal DC Jeremy Pruitt from Florida State? The guy won National Championships at Bama and FSU the last couple years as a DC.....and UGA got him now? And they looked CRAZY good the 2nd half vs Clemson!!

We need a guy like that.
GSC2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 09:50 PM   #46
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 510
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy01 View Post
We had a safety and true freshman right out of HS staring at CB. Who are they going to be able to cover in man coverage? I like the fact that we lay off the WRs. It's worked great in many games. But you can't allow yourself to be blocked and you have to close on time take the right angle and finish tackles.

What happened to Smith? Are they trying to redshirt him? Because he a physical CB that we could use out there. There is no reason why he shouldn't at least be competing for the job right away.
ReadR00ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 09:53 PM   #47
Dizzy01
Game MVP

Male

Dizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot material

Quote:
We had a safety and true freshman right out of HS staring at CB. Who are they going to be able to cover in man coverage? I like the fact that we lay off the WRs. It's worked great in many games. But you can't allow yourself to be blocked and you have to close on time take the right angle and finish tackles.
In some ways man coverage is much easier than playing zone. In man you at least know who you should cover rather than trying to get to a spot and remembering who is supposed to go where based on the route.
Dizzy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 10:22 PM   #48
ccured
What a Rush!!!

Male

CockyCash: 3896416
ccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot material

Quote:

What happened to Smith? Are they trying to redshirt him? Because he a physical CB that we could use out there. There is no reason why he shouldn't at least be competing for the job right away.
I know Al Harris Jr tried once to play tight man. He got tossed aside like a rag doll. He is smaller than Elliott fry. Fry is 6 ft 165. Harris is 5"11 162 according to the roster. BAW is the only player over 230 not on the line I believe and he is 231 on the roster. They are so small.
ccured is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 10:38 PM   #49
TAFC 5 1981
Blue Chip

Male

TAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSC2013 View Post
How the heck did UGA steal DC Jeremy Pruitt from Florida State? The guy won National Championships at Bama and FSU the last couple years as a DC.....and UGA got him now? And they looked CRAZY good the 2nd half vs Clemson!!

We need a guy like that.
Mark Richt has gained control of his defense. Pruitt may be the one piece UGA needed to make a serious run.
Old 09-01-2014, 10:42 PM   #50
zcoop
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 404
zcoop has hatched from the shell

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAFC 5 1981 View Post
Mark Richt has gained control of his defense. Pruitt may be the one piece UGA needed to make a serious run.
As long as they have Bobo in the booth, the offense will not be as good as they should be and that should work in our favor.
zcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 02:37 AM   #51
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalli25 View Post
Nothing to do with the 3-4 being good or bad, but the fact that Ward has always had a poor scheme for passing attacks. Ward has been overhyped during his time at USC.
Neither he nor any of our coaches has a background in the 3-4.....it sounded easy enough, just put in a LB and take out a DT.....plus we don't have DE or OLB that fit the scheme.
I think we go back to "dance with the one that brung ya" and go from there.
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 02:38 AM   #52
Travelin
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 522
Travelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSC2013 View Post

We need a guy like that.
DING, DING, DING!!! WE HAVE A WINNER!!!
Travelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 03:17 AM   #53
ZenUSC
Two Deep

Male

ZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccured View Post
I know Al Harris Jr tried once to play tight man. He got tossed aside like a rag doll. He is smaller than Elliott fry. Fry is 6 ft 165. Harris is 5"11 162 according to the roster. BAW is the only player over 230 not on the line I believe and he is 231 on the roster. They are so small.
I know the play you're referencing. The Tamu guy was 6-4 and didn't even notice Harris was trying to jam him.
ZenUSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 03:20 AM   #54
Ahmad
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 726
Ahmad rules the CockPitAhmad rules the CockPitAhmad rules the CockPitAhmad rules the CockPitAhmad rules the CockPitAhmad rules the CockPitAhmad rules the CockPitAhmad rules the CockPitAhmad rules the CockPitAhmad rules the CockPitAhmad rules the CockPit

I'm not totally sold on Jeremy Pruitt as a DC yet. That FSU team had twice as much talent on defense as everyone in the ACC.
Old 09-02-2014, 05:31 AM   #55
U-S-C till i D-I-E
Recruit

Male

U-S-C till i D-I-E has feathers coming inU-S-C till i D-I-E has feathers coming in

It's been proven time and time again, you have to have the right players to run a 3-4 or it doesn't work. Some people are bashing the players and recruiting, and don't get me wrong, the players played a big role in getting killed the other night. But even in the NFL, where every player is talented, personnel adjustments have to be made to run a 3-4. They don't just show up for training camp and say, hey let's run a 3-4 with these guys. For the coaching staff to look at our defense, and know we are not built for a 3-4 and decide to run it anyway is a terrible coaching decision. I am far from being a defensive guru and I could tell you we aren't built to run a 3-4. I guess if they stick with it over time we will get better. But until you have the right players it will be an uphill battle. Yes, the players tackled like creampuffs and that should be corrected, but the scheme is the #1 problem.

I'm not sure exactly why they switched from the 4-3, but its hard for me to believe that Surratt, the Dixon boys, and English can't make a decent front four. I'm not saying great, but decent or good, which is way better than what we had on Thursday.
Old 09-02-2014, 06:39 AM   #56
ccured
What a Rush!!!

Male

CockyCash: 3896416
ccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenUSC View Post
I know the play you're referencing. The Tamu guy was 6-4 and didn't even notice Harris was trying to jam him.
It was pretty funny actually
ccured is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 06:53 AM   #57
The'Boose2001
The Watchman

Male

CockyCash: 400
The'Boose2001 has hatched from the shell
Send a message via Yahoo to The'Boose2001 Send a message via Skype™ to The'Boose2001
Thumbs up Re: The Demise of the 3-4

I saw a bunch of dazed and confused faces on the field Thursday. They're all young. Put them in a defense that they know how to execute and can be taught without a total learning overhaul - or it's going to be a very long season.

Put the blame for this loss on the coaches for not having our guys ready and in the best position to make the plays (hardly ever).

Other than that, the offense looked alright.

The season is early...

The'Boose2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 08:48 AM   #58
NinjaSven
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 515
NinjaSven is crowing loudlyNinjaSven is crowing loudlyNinjaSven is crowing loudlyNinjaSven is crowing loudlyNinjaSven is crowing loudlyNinjaSven is crowing loudlyNinjaSven is crowing loudlyNinjaSven is crowing loudlyNinjaSven is crowing loudlyNinjaSven is crowing loudlyNinjaSven is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by U-S-C till i D-I-E View Post
It's been proven time and time again, you have to have the right players to run a 3-4 or it doesn't work. Some people are bashing the players and recruiting, and don't get me wrong, the players played a big role in getting killed the other night. But even in the NFL, where every player is talented, personnel adjustments have to be made to run a 3-4. They don't just show up for training camp and say, hey let's run a 3-4 with these guys. For the coaching staff to look at our defense, and know we are not built for a 3-4 and decide to run it anyway is a terrible coaching decision. I am far from being a defensive guru and I could tell you we aren't built to run a 3-4. I guess if they stick with it over time we will get better. But until you have the right players it will be an uphill battle. Yes, the players tackled like creampuffs and that should be corrected, but the scheme is the #1 problem.

I'm not sure exactly why they switched from the 4-3, but its hard for me to believe that Surratt, the Dixon boys, and English can't make a decent front four. I'm not saying great, but decent or good, which is way better than what we had on Thursday.
That is a good post. If the coaches want to run a 3-4 when we don't have a 3-4 team then shame on them! I am not a defensive mastermind, either, but I think we do have four decent players to stick on the D-line. Of course, I am also biased because I have never liked 3-4 defenses.
Old 09-02-2014, 09:01 AM   #59
pitchcock
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 29792600
pitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenUSC View Post
After listening to Spurrier post game I got the impression we won't see
the D use the 3-4 anymore. Reminds me of those deer whistles you used to see on motorcycles and cars a few years back. The whistles sold well but
the deer couldn't hear them so the whistles are all gone now. Great idea though...........in theory. I wonder if Charlie Strong may have invented the 3-4 and the deer whistle.
I'm confused, on 8/24 you started a thread http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=209251 claiming the 3-4 was a new evolution in football (even though it's been in use for 40+ years), now you're comparing it to deer whistles.

Have you been playing Madden too much?
pitchcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 10:52 AM   #60
ZenUSC
Two Deep

Male

ZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitchcock View Post
I'm confused, on 8/24 you started a thread http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=209251 claiming the 3-4 was a new evolution in football (even though it's been in use for 40+ years), now you're comparing it to deer whistles.

Have you been playing Madden too much?
I was basing my present comments about the demise of the 3-4 on Spurrier's body language, facial expression and voice when he asked the media post game about what they thought about the 3-4. I truly got the impression he wanted to scrap the 3-4 entirely.

Did Spurrier feel the 3-4 put the game momentum in TAMU's favor early and demoralized a young defense? Dunno.
I do know we didn't burn the house down last year on game one either.
I'm really surprised how well UGA and TAMU played game one. Clemson had new faces on D too.

It would be tough to keep a season long pace like UGA and TAMU showed in game one. Can you play that well all the time even as other teams get settled in and gain identity?
ZenUSC is offline   Reply With Quote