CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
thumpin big
U-Dub Gamecock
smoovecock
markymark550
GregoryHouse
rosstheboss
STEPHONGILMOREFAN!
robgusc76
CockTail
2014 Charleston Clas (2893)
The Defense (1860)
**USC Women vs. San (1855)
Women's soccer Sweet (1512)
Spurrier on Pharoah: (1209)
3,000 / 1,000 / 1,00 (1052)
USC/clemson spread (717)
In case no one saw.. (700)
injury report? (646)
Your favorite Greate (433)
Spurrier on Pharoah: &quo
Question about after the
Tiger Burn
2014 Charleston Classic:
A little late to the conv
What Are Your Win/Loss Ex
Odell Becham Catch
For Discussing The Clemso
Beat Clemson
USC/clemson spread

Old 09-01-2014, 10:54 PM   #81
ecugrad
Walk On

Male

CockyCash: 500
ecugrad has hatched from the shell
Default Re: Carolina opens -15.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemon View Post
They are a team full of 2 star players with a sprinkling of 3 stars here and there, but you would think they were top 20 with highly rated players all over the field. ECU fans blow my mind with this obnoxious crap every time we play them. The delusional nature of their fanbase is almost admirable. We could absolutely lose the them if we completely shit the bed Saturday. Little man Kyle76 doesn't understand that we beat their ass when Dylan Thompson was actually the backup.

A lot has changed in 2 years dude. We didnt have our qb until that game and hes started every game since. Your secondary didnt exactly look SEC caliber giving that 10 yard cushion to all of their recievers. We have some big guys catching the ball6'2",6'6", 6'3" and we are deep. Boy you guys forget where you came from, 1999 wasnt that long ago.
ecugrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 10:59 PM   #82
peterlemon
Game MVP

Male

peterlemon rules the CockPitpeterlemon rules the CockPitpeterlemon rules the CockPitpeterlemon rules the CockPitpeterlemon rules the CockPitpeterlemon rules the CockPitpeterlemon rules the CockPitpeterlemon rules the CockPitpeterlemon rules the CockPitpeterlemon rules the CockPitpeterlemon rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecugrad View Post
A lot has changed in 2 years dude. We didnt have our qb until that game and hes started every game since. Your secondary didnt exactly look SEC caliber giving that 10 yard cushion to all of their recievers. We have some big guys catching the ball6'2",6'6", 6'3" and we are deep. Boy you guys forget where you came from, 1999 wasnt that long ago.
I didn't forget where we came from, we have a completely mediocre history. We aren't talking about teams of the past, we are talking about the talent on these teams. I have said earlier that ECU has a good program, it just isn't as good as ECU fans like to believe.
peterlemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 11:00 PM   #83
ecugrad
Walk On

Male

Quote:
That is a lot more rational than your buddy Kyle76 saying it is going to be one of ECU's top five teams ever. That is a completely irrational statement to make after playing against NCCU.
Well will see how everything ends up. The season is young and a great deal can happen. I think we have a very talented team that could surprise no matter the result on sat. Our excitement has nothing to do with nccu we all expected to win and win big.
Old 09-01-2014, 11:02 PM   #84
Kyle76
Pirate

Male

Kyle76 is making other chickens nervousKyle76 is making other chickens nervousKyle76 is making other chickens nervousKyle76 is making other chickens nervousKyle76 is making other chickens nervousKyle76 is making other chickens nervousKyle76 is making other chickens nervous

Quote:
That is a lot more rational than your buddy Kyle76 saying it is going to be one of ECU's top five teams ever. That is a completely irrational statement to make after playing against NCCU.
You kill me, Liz Lemon. I said this "could be" one of the top 5 ECU teams ever and am irrational. Someone else says we "could" win 10 games and go to the Cotton Bowl, and that's a much more rational statement?
Kyle76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 11:04 PM   #85
ecugrad
Walk On

Male

Quote:
I didn't forget where we came from, we have a completely mediocre history. We aren't talking about teams of the past, we are talking about the talent on these teams. I have said earlier that ECU has a good program, it just isn't as good as ECU fans like to believe.
Nobody has said we are Alabama but we have a proud program and history that we are proud of. It is about this years teams and players. We have been to a bowl 7 out of the last 8 years. Now that we have taken a step up we have certain expectations that we aspire to reach every year. As far as stars go hardy was a 0 star walkon and he will get drafted in the nfl. We make our living on finding diamonds in the ruff.
Old 09-01-2014, 11:13 PM   #86
Gamecock1983
I kill threads.

Male

CockyCash: 10204
Gamecock1983 rules the CockPitGamecock1983 rules the CockPitGamecock1983 rules the CockPitGamecock1983 rules the CockPitGamecock1983 rules the CockPitGamecock1983 rules the CockPitGamecock1983 rules the CockPitGamecock1983 rules the CockPitGamecock1983 rules the CockPitGamecock1983 rules the CockPitGamecock1983 rules the CockPit

Man, you guys are way down. I understand it was an ugly loss, but A&M is an EXCELLENT football team. Vegas seems to agree. I believe will beat ECU by around 20 points.
Old 09-01-2014, 11:34 PM   #87
ecugrad
Walk On

Male

Of course your going to day that to make your team appear better. They were good but had alot of question marks going in. Who would replace jonny football? Recievers , how would the defense play. No one predicted them to win but they did.
Old 09-01-2014, 11:41 PM   #88
johnnyb
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Male

CockyCash: 1715674460
johnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot material

if I was a betting man, I'd take ECU and the points, I think we win, but I dont know if we win by more than 2 tds with a suspect D against a quick pass offense plus spurriers habit of letting off the gas when we get up by 10 or so

To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 10:52 AM   #89
RaleighPirate
Walk On

Male

RaleighPirate is learning to peckRaleighPirate is learning to peck

Few things from an ECU fan. There is a big talent gap for this game. Any ECU fan saying we match up talent wise is on crack. Its just not to be expected. As far as the comment about this being a top 5 ECU team ever.........not sure I'm buying it but won't say its impossible. A lot of new kids. A lot of kids with huge expectations but beating up on a community college week 1 does not make you a stud team or proven.

1 thing I will say is we started that game out slow. We only had 1 scrimmage this year instead of 2 so we were going to start out a bit rocky period.

I however don't think there is ANY way to say what happens in this game.

Our O line is untested imho. I think you guys get plenty of penetration and that causes issues. VT has always given us headaches because they man up, bump us, and bring heat. From what I've seen Ward does not equal Bud Foster though. I think a big deciding factor will be how physical your db's can get and what the refs let slide. Regardless of what anyone says ECU is going to get a bit of home cookin.

If you guys give 10 yards of cushion all day like you did vs A&M we'll take it.

A few other thoughts.

We both have unexperienced secondaries which is going to lead to A LOT of points imho. Our downfall this year is we lose a 1000 yard rusher and in our opener I didn't see anyone take that lead role. Without that being figured out I worry. We also ran the ball up the middle when we did run. Not sure if that was to keep the playbook close to the chest or to test the O line.

Now for those comparing this to 2 years ago.......its not the same team.

Reasons:
Rio Johnson started that game. He was not a Ruffin recruit and was not recruited for that system. He was in no way a air raid qb. He absolutely crapped himself during that game.

Our defense was worse. I'm not pounding my chest saying our defense is SEC quality. I'm merely saying that Brian Mitchell couldn't tie his shoes. We've changed DC since then and built our players around the 3-4 system. With all that said our DB's looked more aggressive against a quality community college team but they we will see what they are made of this week.

Stating that Thompson threw for 8000 yards against us is meaningless. All of those db's are gone. Ray charles could have thrown for 300 yards with Helen Keller, Stevie Wonder, and Louis Braille as his best wide outs.

Again I see no way to predict this game. My logical side says we get blown out and HBC makes a statement out of the game running it up. My gut says the game is close and it comes down to turnovers.

Final statement:
Don't judge ECU fans by some of the nutjobs that run around posting on every board. Most of us realize we are a team that is rising up but are not to the talent level of other schools. With all that said we have been a more cohesive unit lately and a well oiled machine can do a lot of damage.
RaleighPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 10:57 AM   #90
treys1986
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
treys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot material

I think we cover this spread.

I actually believe A&M is just that dang good. Sure, we didn't help ourselves, but we are still a good football team.
treys1986 is offline   Reply With Quote