CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
El Cid Ranger
WeStillOwnUSC
GarnetSwarm1990
taylorssc
USCNowAndForever
gamecockgal
SC Sandlapper
Gamecocks1137
B-G
ConwayGamecock
Interesting quotes f (2040)
Have you ever been s (1237)
Tennessee Offense Br (803)
Key for 2015 defense (741)
Women's Team Ranked (501)
This season and recr (434)
Skai Moore out for U (416)
COCKYTALK GOLF OUTIN (407)
Lebron makes Clevela (333)
SEC Coaches Dress Up (224)
Uniforms for Tenn
***2014 Carolina Panthers
Have you ever been so wro
BLACK OUT!!!!!!!
We're going to the NCAA T
Season Tickets
Key for 2015 defense
Women's Team Ranked #2 In
Wallpaper & Backgroun
2016 - Jovan Kinlaw

Old 09-02-2014, 01:13 PM   #1
Cruzer
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 855
Cruzer has developed his gaff and talonsCruzer has developed his gaff and talonsCruzer has developed his gaff and talonsCruzer has developed his gaff and talonsCruzer has developed his gaff and talonsCruzer has developed his gaff and talonsCruzer has developed his gaff and talonsCruzer has developed his gaff and talonsCruzer has developed his gaff and talonsCruzer has developed his gaff and talonsCruzer has developed his gaff and talons
Default 3-4 "D" Keep it or Not

A couple of questions here. The 3-4 defense can't be that bad, so it was us right? Do we keep it & continue to workout the bugs or scrap it & go to another "D"?
What was ours last year & why did we change this year? (Sorry, just don't remember).

If we keep it & our Players fail at it again then we fall behind several weeks trying to get another Defensive scheme put in place by mid season. The fans will be calling for Coaching heads & it could be a 5 win year. Hell, could be a 5 win year no matter what D we install.
Old 09-02-2014, 01:21 PM   #2
purebredcock
Show Me.

Male

CockyCash: 200
purebredcock has developed his gaff and talonspurebredcock has developed his gaff and talonspurebredcock has developed his gaff and talonspurebredcock has developed his gaff and talonspurebredcock has developed his gaff and talonspurebredcock has developed his gaff and talonspurebredcock has developed his gaff and talonspurebredcock has developed his gaff and talonspurebredcock has developed his gaff and talonspurebredcock has developed his gaff and talonspurebredcock has developed his gaff and talons
Send a message via AIM to purebredcock
Default Re: 3-4 "D" Keep it or Not

I don't care as long as we scrap the prevent defense. You can run our "cover 5" out of any formation. Some ppl call it bend but don't break, but if they just nickel and dime you and end up with a score anyway then it "bend and then break"
Defend the first 10 yards from the line of scrimmage, no matter the formation.
#1 debbie downer
purebredcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 01:29 PM   #3
southerntramp
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 500
southerntramp is crowing loudlysoutherntramp is crowing loudlysoutherntramp is crowing loudlysoutherntramp is crowing loudlysoutherntramp is crowing loudlysoutherntramp is crowing loudlysoutherntramp is crowing loudlysoutherntramp is crowing loudlysoutherntramp is crowing loudlysoutherntramp is crowing loudlysoutherntramp is crowing loudly

We don't have the MONSTERS upfront and particularly with the LB's inside...I think it was an asinine idea,,,still scratching my head why it was thought of and then supported by USC
southerntramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 01:46 PM   #4
sunbeam
4-Star

Male

sunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talons

Geez, another problem is going to rear it's head in the Georgia game. My suspicion is we are going to be very susceptible to the run this year.

It is kind of an impression of mine, but usually when you see that many missed tackles it is something that takes a lot of the season to work out, if it does get fixed that season.

And before you blame coaching, well you can easily find things to blame, but it is very hard I think to project the kind of tackler a guy will be in college. Sometimes it is like a teabag.

But we are going to face some running teams, and I'm not so sure the 3-4 isn't the best formation we could throw up. Best of a bad deal. I guess it depends on whether you think the lb's or dl has more upside. I'd say the lb's, so I say 3-4. But they have no business not playing the bigger guys on dl if they do. English and Harris aren't going to do much of anything playing de on running downs in a 3-4.

And guys they don't seem to play much like Dukes and Green need to get shots to see exactly what they can do in a game. I am kind of fed up with this base absolutely everything on practice. Most of the time it works, but some guys are just game players and not practice stars. Put them in, see what they can do, and if they don't produce you haven't lost anything. It is getting awful late in their careers to see what they can do, and they have the size to play in a 3 man, at least at de.
sunbeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 01:54 PM   #5
purebredcock
Show Me.

Male

CockyCash: 200
purebredcock has developed his gaff and talonspurebredcock has developed his gaff and talonspurebredcock has developed his gaff and talonspurebredcock has developed his gaff and talonspurebredcock has developed his gaff and talonspurebredcock has developed his gaff and talonspurebredcock has developed his gaff and talonspurebredcock has developed his gaff and talonspurebredcock has developed his gaff and talonspurebredcock has developed his gaff and talonspurebredcock has developed his gaff and talons
Send a message via AIM to purebredcock

I've thought the same thing sunbeam, even tho am torched us with the pass, all other teams in this conference are content with just running it if you let em
#1 debbie downer
purebredcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 01:59 PM   #6
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1220
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by purebredcock View Post
I don't care as long as we scrap the prevent defense. You can run our "cover 5" out of any formation. Some ppl call it bend but don't break, but if they just nickel and dime you and end up with a score anyway then it "bend and then break"
No defense works if you don't have players that can play it. They didn't "nickel and dime" us to death because we played the wrong defensive strategy. Our defense is bad because they are a bunch of newbs out there with bad instincts and bad tackling and they haven't gelled as a unit. It does not matter one iota where our DBs line up because they can not cover receivers as talented and as athletic as A&M's with their QB making perfect passes.

Stop guessing at what defense is going to work. It's our coaches job to try to figure it out.
ReadR00ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 02:05 PM   #7
Cruzer
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 855
Cruzer has developed his gaff and talonsCruzer has developed his gaff and talonsCruzer has developed his gaff and talonsCruzer has developed his gaff and talonsCruzer has developed his gaff and talonsCruzer has developed his gaff and talonsCruzer has developed his gaff and talonsCruzer has developed his gaff and talonsCruzer has developed his gaff and talonsCruzer has developed his gaff and talonsCruzer has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
Originally Posted by purebredcock View Post
I can't count how many times I've watch NFL teams go to the Prevent Defense with the lead & lose the game. I hate it.
Old 09-02-2014, 02:06 PM   #8
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunbeam View Post
Geez, another problem is going to rear it's head in the Georgia game. My suspicion is we are going to be very susceptible to the run this year.

It is kind of an impression of mine, but usually when you see that many missed tackles it is something that takes a lot of the season to work out, if it does get fixed that season.

And before you blame coaching, well you can easily find things to blame, but it is very hard I think to project the kind of tackler a guy will be in college. Sometimes it is like a teabag.

But we are going to face some running teams, and I'm not so sure the 3-4 isn't the best formation we could throw up. Best of a bad deal. I guess it depends on whether you think the lb's or dl has more upside. I'd say the lb's, so I say 3-4. But they have no business not playing the bigger guys on dl if they do. English and Harris aren't going to do much of anything playing de on running downs in a 3-4.

And guys they don't seem to play much like Dukes and Green need to get shots to see exactly what they can do in a game. I am kind of fed up with this base absolutely everything on practice. Most of the time it works, but some guys are just game players and not practice stars. Put them in, see what they can do, and if they don't produce you haven't lost anything. It is getting awful late in their careers to see what they can do, and they have the size to play in a 3 man, at least at de.
I'm going to blame to coaches, because it's their responsibility. I don't want hear excuses about hard it is to project players to college. That doesn't fly in this business. You recruit them, you coach, you put them on the field and call the defense. That is a reflection of your coaching abilities out there.

Last year we didn't have enough linebackers and we had to recruit a bunch and play freshmen. It cost us in the UGA game because they weren't up to speed. This year is DEs and CBs and most of the DEs didn't even make it in. We can't keep having these holes on our team and try to fill them with Freshman. We need guys ready to go day one across the board. Not doing this is a major fail by our coaches. There is no denying it.
Old 09-02-2014, 02:09 PM   #9
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzer View Post
I can't count how many times I've watch NFL teams go to the Prevent Defense with the lead & lose the game. I hate it.
We weren't playing prevent defense. Stop listening to that garbage.
Old 09-02-2014, 02:10 PM   #10
The'Boose2001
The Watchman

Male

CockyCash: 400
The'Boose2001 has hatched from the shell
Send a message via Yahoo to The'Boose2001 Send a message via Skype™ to The'Boose2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunbeam View Post

Good point. If we don't stop the bleeding between now and Georgia, we are in for one long game.

I feel like we should scrap the 3 and go back to the 4 - if nothing else, play both packages.
The'Boose2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 02:51 PM   #11
Ahmad
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 726
Ahmad rules the CockPitAhmad rules the CockPitAhmad rules the CockPitAhmad rules the CockPitAhmad rules the CockPitAhmad rules the CockPitAhmad rules the CockPitAhmad rules the CockPitAhmad rules the CockPitAhmad rules the CockPitAhmad rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by The'Boose2001 View Post
Good point. If we don't stop the bleeding between now and Georgia, we are in for one long game.

I feel like we should scrap the 3 and go back to the 4 - if nothing else, play both packages.
We played a little of both in that A&M game.
Old 09-02-2014, 03:02 PM   #12
Toneski
Walk On

Male

Toneski is learning to peckToneski is learning to peck

Seems like every time I tried to figure out what defense we were in I counted 3 guys with their hands on the ground and then at each end was a guy standing up at the LOS. We had 5 guys at the LOS.

What would you call that defense? Surely we weren't trying to stop the run every time I counted.....we were getting torched through the air. Were those two LB's at the LOS faking a blitz, or maybe one intended to blitz?
Old 09-02-2014, 03:20 PM   #13
USC843
Recruit

Male

USC843 has feathers coming inUSC843 has feathers coming in

The simple fact is that the coaches want our freshman linebackers out there more than the guys on the Dline. That is what the 3-4 is for. If that doesnt give you some indication of how bad our Dline personnel is, then you have a blindfold on.
USC843 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 03:22 PM   #14
USC843
Recruit

Male

USC843 has feathers coming inUSC843 has feathers coming in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toneski View Post
Seems like every time I tried to figure out what defense we were in I counted 3 guys with their hands on the ground and then at each end was a guy standing up at the LOS. We had 5 guys at the LOS.

What would you call that defense? Surely we weren't trying to stop the run every time I counted.....we were getting torched through the air. Were those two LB's at the LOS faking a blitz, or maybe one intended to blitz?
Thats what the 3-4 is. 3 down linemen, and two outside edge rushers that are linebackers. Sometimes an OLB will back off into coverage, or he will rush. Thats how a 3-4 works. It eliminates a D-lineman and replaces him with a linebacker.
USC843 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 03:43 PM   #15
NAGamecockFan
Philippians 4:13

Male

CockyCash: 755
NAGamecockFan has earned his spursNAGamecockFan has earned his spursNAGamecockFan has earned his spursNAGamecockFan has earned his spursNAGamecockFan has earned his spursNAGamecockFan has earned his spursNAGamecockFan has earned his spurs

Try and use that 3-4 against Georgia and Gurley and Chubb will have a field day. They very well may anyway, but still. I'm not impressed with Mason at all. Make him win the game.
NAGamecockFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 03:51 PM   #16
CockyLifer
Gamecocks R US MGMT

Male

CockyCash: 89095
CockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadR00ster View Post
We weren't playing prevent defense. Stop listening to that garbage.
What do you call it then playing soft zone keep them in front of you as well as the 10-20 yard cushion.
THE University of SOUTH CAROLINA!

CockyLifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 03:53 PM   #17
CockyLifer
Gamecocks R US MGMT

Male

CockyCash: 89095
CockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAGamecockFan View Post
Try and use that 3-4 against Georgia and Gurley and Chubb will have a field day. They very well may anyway, but still. I'm not impressed with Mason at all. Make him win the game.
It will be a long game.
THE University of SOUTH CAROLINA!

CockyLifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 03:59 PM   #18
cack
ONE NINE 3

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Homecoming King 2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Signature Fark Off Winner: Award given for winning a CockyTalk Fark Off - Given for: Winning the Farkoff Hey Beer Man!: Award given to the poster we most want to have a beer with - Given for: being voted the person CockyTalk most wants to have a beer with 
CockyCash: 344470
cack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot material

Doesn't matter if you keep it or not, but you have to put pressure on the outside if you only bring 3. Doesn't matter how many you have up or down. You have to have pressure SOMEWHERE.

Follow me at One Nine 3 BBQ

cack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 04:07 PM   #19
Biocockanics
WMD

Male

CockyCash: 10260
Biocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot material

we're not a 3-4 defense. We added some 3-4 elements to our base package. I dont know where people came to this conclusion that our defense changed entirely....its strange.

We played our base package with some wrinkles for much of the first half, idk what everyone else was watching.
Old 09-02-2014, 04:15 PM   #20
PageUSC
Recruiting60%-Coaching40%

Male

CockyCash: 987375
PageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot material

Yes keep it for spread teams. It's literally useless to have 2 DTs in the game against a team that is just spreading it out and making quick passes.

We won't run it against UGA.