CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
ConwayGamecock
Gamecocks1137
thumpin big
smoovecock
Regalcock
JerseyBird
b381l
markymark550
johnnyb
RGHoskins
**USC vs. UNC-Ashevi (1988)
Constant Updates on (1844)
Brad Lawing (1783)
Alshon - Bose (1064)
Ced Cooper (#18) sta (993)
Garcia vs Clemson To (929)
How cool would it be (866)
Carolina/Clemson gam (617)
Palmetto Bowl (478)
Chattanooga upends N (307)
**USC vs. UNC-Asheville G
Rivalry Thoughts and Pred
Constant Updates on Watso
Carolina/Clemson game dre
Palmetto Bowl
Chattanooga upends No. 4
Coaching Carousel 2014/15
Garcia vs Clemson Tom
Andrew Clifford Scooter A
NEW Pics from South Alaba

Old 09-02-2014, 06:36 PM   #41
bcolinc
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
bcolinc is crowing loudlybcolinc is crowing loudlybcolinc is crowing loudlybcolinc is crowing loudlybcolinc is crowing loudlybcolinc is crowing loudlybcolinc is crowing loudlybcolinc is crowing loudlybcolinc is crowing loudlybcolinc is crowing loudlybcolinc is crowing loudly
Default Re: Not a talent issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadR00ster View Post
Boo freaking hoo. Man up. No one said our players had NO talent. They said our talent isn't good enough right now. Which is obvious to everyone who watched that game Thursday. So, so what if people are saying it? If the truth upsets you, don't read here.

We're not going to pretend like everything is as it should be right now so that you won't go into a tizzy. If the players have their feelings hurt THAN GOOD, because it will help toughen them up. If they are going whine about it like you than we are REAL trouble and need to get new players because they don't have the fortitude to face their failures head on.

Greater then less then

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-02-2014, 06:37 PM   #42
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1220
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by gromweat View Post
I agree with this! and I think the season will prove this out.

if we eliminate just half of the arm tackles from Thursday night we would have a much different result. We may have still lost but it would have been much more competitive.
No. Talent and skill are synonyms. He's talking about things like potential and athletic ability. It takes a whole nother level of talent/skill in college than it does in high school. A&M must be giving a great crash course that we don't offer apparently.
ReadR00ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 06:38 PM   #43
CHSgc
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 500
CHSgc is sharpening his clawsCHSgc is sharpening his clawsCHSgc is sharpening his clawsCHSgc is sharpening his claws

It was a mix of talent and coaching.

We have whiffed on DE recruiting for years. We cannot generate a pass rush and thus have lost our defensive identity. We also didn't manage the roster well w/r/t LBs (last year) and CBs (this year). Combine that w/ what struck me as a team that hadn't practiced at all and you get what we saw on Thursday.
CHSgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 06:46 PM   #44
gromweat
Walk On

Male

gromweat has hatched from the shell

Quote:
Boo freaking hoo. Man up. No one said our players had NO talent. They said our talent isn't good enough right now. Which is obvious to everyone who watched that game Thursday. So, so what if people are saying it? If the truth upsets you, don't read here.

We're not going to pretend like everything is as it should be right now so that you won't go into a tizzy. If the players have their feelings hurt THAN GOOD, because it will help toughen them up. If they are going whine about it like you than we are REAL trouble and need to get new players because they don't have the fortitude to face their failures head on.
This, and I am the one who needs to man up? Interesting. So judging from your post you would love for everyone to publicly bash all your life's failures, which would seem to be many.
gromweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 06:49 PM   #45
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

Quote:
This, and I am the one who needs to man up? Interesting. So judging from your post you would love for everyone to publicly bash all your life's failures, which would seem to be many.
Hey, it's part of being a college player. When I fail at my job I get bashed by my boss. I am not going to call the guy an A-hole and tell him to F off when I know he is right. I feel embarrassed and I try to do better and work harder. The college players have a lot of bosses. Don't like it? Do something else.
Old 09-02-2014, 06:52 PM   #46
CockTail
Two Deep

Male

CockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot material

Our terrible defensive performance last week was a combination of 3 things:

1.) Young guys in the secondary and linebackers who are struggling with the scheme. You could see they were unsure who they were suppose to cover. To much thinking, not enough acting, poor tackling didn't help, but tackling a guy for a 10 yard gain every play would not have helped. They were wide open virtually every play.

2.) Running up against a very good offense right out of the gate. You don't have time to think against good teams like A&M. This was a nightmare matchup for this defense.

3.) Very poor job of preparation on the part of our defensive coaches. They acted like they had never seen this offense before. No attempt to change scheme, no idea how to slow down that offense.
Old 09-02-2014, 06:52 PM   #47
gromweat
Walk On

Male

Quote:
No. Talent and skill are synonyms. He's talking about things like potential and athletic ability. It takes a whole nother level of talent/skill in college than it does in high school. A&M must be giving a great crash course that we don't offer apparently.
I disagree. You can't coach talent but you can coach skill. Although I would agree that talented players have a much higher skill ceiling. I saw a bunch of lost defensive players on the field. Granted our dl is not what it has been over the last three years. Clowney does not come along every year. That said that accounts for 4/11 players on defense. And I would guess that of the remaining 7 we may have more talent than years past. Only time will tell though. And if it is a rebuilding year, so be it. It happens to the best of teams. And if we can hang on to the current class we have a promising future.
Old 09-02-2014, 06:54 PM   #48
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

It's not that they don't have potential. We've been playing too much catch up with young guys on defense the last two years. We should have done a better job recruiting to keep this from happening. That's basically what it all comes down to.
Old 09-02-2014, 06:55 PM   #49
gromweat
Walk On

Male

Quote:
Hey, it's part of being a college player. When I fail at my job I get bashed by my boss. I am not going to call the guy an A-hole and tell him to F off when I know he is right. I feel embarrassed and I try to do better and work harder. The college players have a lot of bosses. Don't like it? Do something else.
I am not arguing that they did a great job. But after four days of bashing them, when will it stop? When I mess up at my job it is generally taken care of with one conversation. So whats it going to take to get behind the team. If by some miracle we beat GA, will you still be calling them talentless?
Old 09-02-2014, 06:58 PM   #50
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

Quote:
I am not arguing that they did a great job. But after four days of bashing them, when will it stop? We I mess up at my job it is generally taken care of with one conversation. So whats it going to take to get behind the team. If by some miracle we beat GA, will you still be calling them talentless?
It'll stop when they start playing better. The fans want their team to win. They don't want scrubs playing for them. So when they start to play like winners instead of scrubs, they'll get praised.
Old 09-02-2014, 07:01 PM   #51
gromweat
Walk On

Male

Quote:
It'll stop when they start playing better. The fans want their team to win. They don't want scrubs playing for them. So when they start to play like winners instead of scrubs, they'll get praised.
Ok so these "scrubs" virtually all of them participated last year to give the "fans" an 11-2 season. Nice to be grateful. You obviously were not around in the 70s, 80s or the 90s for that matter. You are hammering on kids. Hammer on the ones that caused the issue. The coaches. They are the ones paid for this game.
Old 09-02-2014, 07:03 PM   #52
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

Quote:
I disagree. You can't coach talent but you can coach skill. Although I would agree that talented players have a much higher skill ceiling. I saw a bunch of lost defensive players on the field. Granted our dl is not what it has been over the last three years. Clowney does not come along every year. That said that accounts for 4/11 players on defense. And I would guess that of the remaining 7 we may have more talent than years past. Only time will tell though. And if it is a rebuilding year, so be it. It happens to the best of teams. And if we can hang on to the current class we have a promising future.
Whatever, we are not using the same definition of the word talent. It can be a natural knack or it can be skill. Next year we are still going to be playing catch up at DE. Who knows if the secondary will progress. New questions will open up at QB OL, TE, and RB.
Old 09-02-2014, 07:05 PM   #53
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

Quote:
Ok so these "scrubs" virtually all of them participated last year to give the "fans" an 11-2 season. Nice to be grateful. You obviously were not around in the 70s, 80s or the 90s for that matter. You are hammering on kids. Hammer on the ones that caused the issue. The coaches. They are the ones paid for this game.
BS that they are kids. We don't recruit kids. We don't want kids here. We recruit young stalwart men. And if you don't like what people are saying here, the coaches are being 10 times as hard on them right now, don't you doubt it. Because their livelihoods are on the line. Think about that.
Old 09-02-2014, 07:08 PM   #54
gromweat
Walk On

Male

Quote:
Whatever, we are not using the same definition of the word talent. It can be a natural knack or it can be skill. Next year we are still going to be playing catch up at DE. Who knows if the secondary will progress. New questions will open up at QB OL, TE, and RB.
OMG, we have to be the only team if CFB that has to worry about this issue. Yea we may be playing catch up on DE next year and the year after that, but if you think the back 7 we have recruited that played the other night will not be good over the next couple of years you do not know football. We have some very talented guys on both sides of the ball and it will show this season.
Old 09-02-2014, 07:09 PM   #55
gromweat
Walk On

Male

Quote:
BS that they are kids. We don't recruit kids. We don't want kids here. We recruit young stalwart men. And if you don't like what people are saying here, the coaches are being 10 times as hard on them right now, don't you doubt it. Because their livelihoods are on the line. Think about that.
Ok let the coaches do their jobs. They should hammer on them and when you get hired on as an assistant coach do your worst, but until then try not to be a band wagon fan.
Old 09-02-2014, 07:26 PM   #56
NinjaSven
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 515
NinjaSven rules the CockPitNinjaSven rules the CockPitNinjaSven rules the CockPitNinjaSven rules the CockPitNinjaSven rules the CockPitNinjaSven rules the CockPitNinjaSven rules the CockPitNinjaSven rules the CockPitNinjaSven rules the CockPitNinjaSven rules the CockPitNinjaSven rules the CockPit

We have the talent. I don't think our D is going to get better, though, if we can't get any pressure on the opponent's backfield.
Old 09-02-2014, 07:31 PM   #57
Ph/JDCock
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 700
Ph/JDCock is crowing loudlyPh/JDCock is crowing loudlyPh/JDCock is crowing loudlyPh/JDCock is crowing loudlyPh/JDCock is crowing loudlyPh/JDCock is crowing loudlyPh/JDCock is crowing loudlyPh/JDCock is crowing loudlyPh/JDCock is crowing loudlyPh/JDCock is crowing loudlyPh/JDCock is crowing loudly

I think that we as fans (and some in the media who had bought into the hype during the off-season) have been whistling past the graveyard for a while now, because our personnel losses indicated that we'd be taking a substantial step backward this year. The losses, paired with the fact that we have missed on some primary DL and DB recruiting targets, have set us up for this year (more on the coaching in a minute).

When your starting CBs are a converted free safety whose strength has never been coverage and a true freshman who weighs 162 pounds, there are going to be coverage problems, especially against a pass-happy offense that features big receivers. It was plain frightening that we came out of spring with a guy coming off an ACL and a walk-on as our starting CBs, with a converted RB backing them up. I guess for a lot of us (me included), the three 11-win seasons gave us a false sense of security that we're now in perpetual reload mode. We aren't, especially when there are gaps in recruiting (this isn't a criticism... it happens to almost every team from time to time).

Look back at the drop-off in performance late in games the past two years when the second-string DL came in; those are the same guys who are starting for us now. I mean no disrespect to our current DL starters, but we lost a generational player in Clowney and two other guys who may end up playing on Sundays in Quarles and Sutton. We have been experimenting with a switch to a three-man front at least in part because of an anticipated drop-off in talent and/or depth. Darius English may be fast, but he just doesn't look big enough to be an every-down DE in the SEC (I know there are exceptions in smaller DEs, but so far he hasn't looked like one).

Ward and his staff may be great coaches or they may not be, but the past couple of years really aren't a true indicator one way or another. We have had enough top-tier experienced talent at many positions to cover up or at least mitigate schematic or fundamental deficiencies since 2011. We don't have a talent edge this year, so we will see really quickly if our guys play fast and fundamentally sound in a well-organized scheme.

I haven't lost hope that we can show significant defensive improvement, but if we don't, we're a 6-6 team at best.
Ph/JDCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 07:45 PM   #58
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

None of our starting dline would be starting at the other major schools in our conference. They are all nice role players but they aren't going to be guys that you rely on for playmaking most of the game. Our better talent is in the defensive tackle reserve unit but you have to wonder how much of that is favoritism which has been talked about in circles being a frustration to players.

Think about this: Darius English, David Johnson, Gerald Dixon, Mason Harris, Cedric Cooper, and Devin Washington are our only available defensive ends. Not one of those guys were rated highly (4 or better).. And you expect a consistent pass rush out of that group?

English is still over matched whether he is carrying 250 on his frame or not. Johnson and Dixon are entering DTackle weight ranges. Harris and Cooper are undersized. Washington is undersized still and hasn't been able to develop bc of injury.

That's our situation.

Also this fantasy that we were going to be better without Clowney because offenses didn't have to scheme around him anymore was the biggest bunch of bullshit I've ever read.

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan
CoverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 08:04 PM   #59
gamecock88
All Everything

Male

CockyCash: 997672
gamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post
None of our starting dline would be starting at the other major schools in our conference. They are all nice role players but they aren't going to be guys that you rely on for playmaking most of the game. Our better talent is in the defensive tackle reserve unit but you have to wonder how much of that is favoritism which has been talked about in circles being a frustration to players.

Think about this: Darius English, David Johnson, Gerald Dixon, Mason Harris, Cedric Cooper, and Devin Washington are our only available defensive ends. Not one of those guys were rated highly (4 or better).. And you expect a consistent pass rush out of that group?

English is still over matched whether he is carrying 250 on his frame or not. Johnson and Dixon are entering DTackle weight ranges. Harris and Cooper are undersized. Washington is undersized still and hasn't been able to develop bc of injury.

That's our situation.

Also this fantasy that we were going to be better without Clowney because offenses didn't have to scheme around him anymore was the biggest bunch of bullshit I've ever read.
Agree. Been posting for years here that back ups doesn't equal depth. Those backups are starters now and while they may be doing their best or show great improvement aren't elite players and shouldn't be expected to deliver as elites do.
gamecock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 08:05 PM   #60
gromweat
Walk On

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post

That's our situation.

C2 agree 100% we will probably not generate much pass rush this year, but when they throw as quick as they did, I am not sure it mattered. As the HBC said today we had them in many good 3rd down situations, so at least at some point things worked :> The most frustrating thing is the missed arm tackles that could have gotten them off the field. I saw at least one play where we had three players miss a tackle. These were all the back 7 guys as well. Also in the Presser today the HBC says he believes we have the guys to fix our issues, so I will defer to him on the talent issue.