CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Proving Ground

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
ucan'tlickourcocks
b381l
ReadR00ster
cocksmith1or11
Gamecockswag
Badazcock
NinjaSven
johnnyb
Regalcock
ESPN Game Day Commen (1461)
**USC vs. Auburn GAM (1321)
Simple "yes&quo (1310)
Phil Steele just pre (975)
The Comeback & T (764)
TeMarcus Blanton (591)
Garcia: Change the R (579)
Bashing Players, coa (465)
Wallpaper & Back (239)
Instrumental Music ( (167)
Where in Seattle
**USC vs. Auburn GAME Thr
Miss St vs. Kentucky
Anybody just have that &q
UFC 179: Jose Aldo vs Cha
Instrumental Music (Pre g
Name a Gamecock
Madrid vs Barca
Bama @ Tennessee
Remember, SEC is weird


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2014, 03:17 PM   #41
cockybreeyan
2nd Team All-SEC
 
cockybreeyan's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: 5 Points
Posts: 2,519
CockyCash: 500
cockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPit
Default Re: Recruiting Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by gin house View Post
1. Freshman/sophomore..... Should it matter?
2. I don't think we had a scheme.... You can't be behind receivers by 5 yards on every play. The whole middle of the field was wide open for the RB's. I'm shocked it wasn't worse. It was pick your poison. We couldn't defend either.
3. That same team didn't score 42 on Bama. There are 3 first rounders in the pros that were on that team. Johny Football and Mike Evans were great college players.
4. TAMU also played many freshmen.
5. The last 3 years we beat plenty of teams that had and stockpiled talent the recruiting ranking wouldn't have us on the same page with. I'm all about recruiting known talent. What bothers me is the "projects" and under the radar guys that never seem to come out from under the radar. Our success depend on the talent in the state of SC. We got Clowney, Gilmore, Holloman, Swearinger, Alshon, Bruce Ellington, Devin Taylor, Kelcey Quarells and so on to come here from instate and we won. I understand this state doesn't have the numbers of the other states around us but our roster is full of out of state guys that can't beat out freshmen at corner...... I'm not a genius but there's no superstar talent on this team. Absolutely none. I have a problem with that. Like Spurrier said we had very little on the preseason SEC teams. None on the first team. That's uncalled for. I hope we get better but if you think this team will match the last three years you'll be disappointed. The defensive coaching isn't there. They sure can recruit but Play......Na.
That's what bothers me. We always hear how our coaches are great evaluators and get so many "under the radar guys." I hate to be negative but it's starting to look like the "under the radar guys" are average guys
cockybreeyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 04:41 PM   #42
thekob
Household Name
 
thekob's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Lexington
Posts: 7,478
CockyCash: 100700
thekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot material
Default Re: Recruiting Question

After three seasons where we won 11 games, because of one loss, we haven't been recruiting well enough? After three seasons where we won 11 games, because of one loss, our coaches are no good?

I sincerely hope people use a larger sample size in their everyday life to make decisions than they're showing here.
__________________
GOD
USA
SEC
thekob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 11:29 PM   #43
gin house
Blue Chip
 
gin house's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: oconee county
Posts: 646
CockyCash: 500
gin house is developing his combgin house is developing his combgin house is developing his combgin house is developing his combgin house is developing his combgin house is developing his combgin house is developing his combgin house is developing his comb
Default Re: Recruiting Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekob View Post
After three seasons where we won 11 games, because of one loss, we haven't been recruiting well enough? After three seasons where we won 11 games, because of one loss, our coaches are no good?

I sincerely hope people use a larger sample size in their everyday life to make decisions than they're showing here.
It's not the loss. It's the obvious that says the future looks like crap unless things change. With the last few years players gone on to the NFL you'd think there would have been some players who could match up and play in the SEC. We've got high school corners and other freshmen playing. That's a recipe for disaster. I'm not all doom and gloom, I'm also not a sunshine pumper. The reality is UGA will embarrass us if we're not really improved in 2 weeks. We finished #4 in the country last year but that was a different team. The defense I saw Thursday would have a hard time playing Byrnes or Gaffney.
gin house is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 11:52 PM   #44
Ahmad
Blue Chip
 
Ahmad's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Baltimore,MD
Posts: 691
CockyCash: 726
Ahmad rules the CockPitAhmad rules the CockPitAhmad rules the CockPitAhmad rules the CockPitAhmad rules the CockPitAhmad rules the CockPitAhmad rules the CockPitAhmad rules the CockPitAhmad rules the CockPitAhmad rules the CockPitAhmad rules the CockPit
Default Re: Recruiting Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by gin house View Post
The defense I saw Thursday would have a hard time playing Byrnes or Gaffney.
Gaffney is my hometown but let's be serious. The defense took it on the chin Thursday, but they have nowhere to go but up. Our offense has put up some putrid performances the past few years also. Some forget the 2012 game at The Swamp.
__________________
Always remember that you're absolutely unique, just like everyone else.
Ahmad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 12:17 AM   #45
Goofyboy
2nd Team All-SEC
 
Goofyboy's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Sumter
Posts: 3,007
CockyCash: 500
Goofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot material
Default Re: Recruiting Question

Watch the game again. See who missed tackles. It was mostly linebackers. We seemed stronger to me in 4-3, and definitely got what little pressure we got except on about 3 LB blitzes (pressures). The DB's missed some tackles, but definitely didn't attack. The linebackers we have are capable of playing better and making some better hits and tackles. Maybe the 3-4 is messing up the rhythm they finally developed at the end of last season. Of course, we miss Clowney and Quarles, but I think the LB's have to make the biggest step forward this week.
Goofyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 02:15 AM   #46
b381l
Heisman Winner
 
b381l's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Virginia
Posts: 22,977
CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material
Default Re: Recruiting Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by gin house View Post
It's not the loss. It's the obvious that says the future looks like crap unless things change. With the last few years players gone on to the NFL you'd think there would have been some players who could match up and play in the SEC. We've got high school corners and other freshmen playing. That's a recipe for disaster. I'm not all doom and gloom, I'm also not a sunshine pumper. The reality is UGA will embarrass us if we're not really improved in 2 weeks. We finished #4 in the country last year but that was a different team. The defense I saw Thursday would have a hard time playing Byrnes or Gaffney.
2015 class will be the best one since SOS has been here....and filling needs at DE, DB and OL. I know that nobody wants to hear, wait till next year's class gets here. But remember this, the road to the top is not a straight line.
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 02:43 AM   #47
Ahmad
Blue Chip
 
Ahmad's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Baltimore,MD
Posts: 691
CockyCash: 726
Ahmad rules the CockPitAhmad rules the CockPitAhmad rules the CockPitAhmad rules the CockPitAhmad rules the CockPitAhmad rules the CockPitAhmad rules the CockPitAhmad rules the CockPitAhmad rules the CockPitAhmad rules the CockPitAhmad rules the CockPit
Default Re: Recruiting Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by b381l View Post
2015 class will be the best one since SOS has been here....and filling needs at DE, DB and OL. I know that nobody wants to hear, wait till next year's class gets here. But remember this, the road to the top is not a straight line.
That's the truth.
__________________
Always remember that you're absolutely unique, just like everyone else.
Ahmad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 05:13 AM   #48
CockyLifer
Gamecocks R US MGMT
 
CockyLifer's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: SC Stateofmind!
Posts: 1,558
CockyCash: 89095
CockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPit
Default Re: Recruiting Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofyboy View Post
Watch the game again. See who missed tackles. It was mostly linebackers. We seemed stronger to me in 4-3, and definitely got what little pressure we got except on about 3 LB blitzes (pressures). The DB's missed some tackles, but definitely didn't attack. The linebackers we have are capable of playing better and making some better hits and tackles. Maybe the 3-4 is messing up the rhythm they finally developed at the end of last season. Of course, we miss Clowney and Quarles, but I think the LB's have to make the biggest step forward this week.
I believe this is because that is what our defense was mainly recruited and evaluated for or a variation of the 4-3 or 4-2-5.
__________________
USC is in South Carolina.
Carolina is in South Carolina.
THE University of South Carolina IS
THE University of SOUTH CAROLINA!

CockyLifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 05:15 AM   #49
CockyLifer
Gamecocks R US MGMT
 
CockyLifer's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: SC Stateofmind!
Posts: 1,558
CockyCash: 89095
CockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPit
Default Re: Recruiting Question

Also yes the chemistry and rhythm we gained last year is gone because we played a different scheme last year.
__________________
USC is in South Carolina.
Carolina is in South Carolina.
THE University of South Carolina IS
THE University of SOUTH CAROLINA!

CockyLifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 06:34 PM   #50
CHSgc
Recruit
 
CHSgc's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 208
CockyCash: 500
CHSgc is sharpening his clawsCHSgc is sharpening his clawsCHSgc is sharpening his clawsCHSgc is sharpening his claws
Default Re: Recruiting Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by b381l View Post
and the other clown you responded to, he's not worthy of a response.
The only clown here is you. You carried water for this staff despite the very obvious recruiting miscues and now continue to defend them despite getting waxed in the first games due to the very mistakes that were painstakingly made known to you by posters here.

You can't blame the loss solely on recruiting, but to deny that anything I've said - which has been primarily that recruiting academic concerns at positions of need (DE, CB) has harmed us - is relevant to what happened last Thursday is utterly silly.

My posts and predictions speak for themselves. I take no delight in it, but the problems w/ our roster were blindingly obvious to everyone except the most deluded homer.
CHSgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 06:52 PM   #51
GamecockTim1992
Walk On
 
GamecockTim1992's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Madison Mississippi
Posts: 70
CockyCash: 500
GamecockTim1992 has hatched from the shell
Default Re: Recruiting Question

I do not know the insights into recruiting. That is for sure. However, I can do basic math.

With 85 scholarships, and 25 max per year, I would put up a board/spreadsheet with the idea of taking so many DLs, LBs, DBs, OLs, WRs, TEs, RBs, Ks, QBs, etc. per year. I would have a spreadsheet for each year and for the entire team. Inside of that, I would want to put things like size, speed, & other skills so that I could vary those attributes per class (i.e. smaller speedy guys on DL for faster packages, and bigger guys for run packages, etc, like we have had for the last several years). Now I realize that not every kid offered it going to accept, but by the end of the day, I would want to stay close to those numbers per year unless there is no one to fill, let's say a QB, one year. The next year we might have 2 QBs that we might target. Fill the year void of a QB with another position and strike one from there (or somewhere else) the following year.

Had we been doing this, I cannot imagine how we would be in such a position to not have big, thick guys to take up space on the DL to run a 4-3.

One other question...how many years has it been since Beamer left? Are we now seeing issues from his departure? IDK, just putting that out there. Our classes have been good to very good, but the quality of classes does not indicate any voids we may have in positional depth.

Lastly, I am 100% for this team and I believe that we will bounce back quickly. However, I do think that A&M exposed some issues personnel-wise.
GamecockTim1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 07:33 PM   #52
gin house
Blue Chip
 
gin house's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: oconee county
Posts: 646
CockyCash: 500
gin house is developing his combgin house is developing his combgin house is developing his combgin house is developing his combgin house is developing his combgin house is developing his combgin house is developing his combgin house is developing his comb
Default Re: Recruiting Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofyboy View Post
Watch the game again. See who missed tackles. It was mostly linebackers. We seemed stronger to me in 4-3, and definitely got what little pressure we got except on about 3 LB blitzes (pressures). The DB's missed some tackles, but definitely didn't attack. The linebackers we have are capable of playing better and making some better hits and tackles. Maybe the 3-4 is messing up the rhythm they finally developed at the end of last season. Of course, we miss Clowney and Quarles, but I think the LB's have to make the biggest step forward this week.
That's even worse if that's the case. The linebackers were supposed to be our strength. I was in section 905 row 20. I watched the plays unfold am I'm sure it's even worse than TV. I would like to rewatch it.
gin house is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 07:38 PM   #53
gin house
Blue Chip
 
gin house's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: oconee county
Posts: 646
CockyCash: 500
gin house is developing his combgin house is developing his combgin house is developing his combgin house is developing his combgin house is developing his combgin house is developing his combgin house is developing his combgin house is developing his comb
Default Re: Recruiting Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by b381l View Post
2015 class will be the best one since SOS has been here....and filling needs at DE, DB and OL. I know that nobody wants to hear, wait till next year's class gets here. But remember this, the road to the top is not a straight line.
That is true if it stays anywhere near what it is now after we go 7-5 or 8-4. Only problem with that is there's a pile of new talent but mostly high school kids. You think we're going to come in and win big with high school kids? We dropped the ball in recruiting and developing a few years back and it's walked up to us and smacked us in the face. I have no doubt we have great coaches and coaching is extremely important but talent is the difference. We are outmatched big time in the SEC. That is clear and present.
gin house is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 07:53 PM   #54
Ahmad
Blue Chip
 
Ahmad's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Baltimore,MD
Posts: 691
CockyCash: 726
Ahmad rules the CockPitAhmad rules the CockPitAhmad rules the CockPitAhmad rules the CockPitAhmad rules the CockPitAhmad rules the CockPitAhmad rules the CockPitAhmad rules the CockPitAhmad rules the CockPitAhmad rules the CockPitAhmad rules the CockPit
Default Re: Recruiting Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by gin house View Post
That's even worse if that's the case. The linebackers were supposed to be our strength. I was in section 905 row 20. I watched the plays unfold am I'm sure it's even worse than TV. I would like to rewatch it.


The entire game is on watchespn or youtube if you didn't get to DVR it.
__________________
Always remember that you're absolutely unique, just like everyone else.
Ahmad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 12:52 AM   #55
b381l
Heisman Winner
 
b381l's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Virginia
Posts: 22,977
CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material
Default Re: Recruiting Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by gin house View Post
1. Freshman/sophomore..... Should it matter?
2. I don't think we had a scheme.... You can't be behind receivers by 5 yards on every play. The whole middle of the field was wide open for the RB's. I'm shocked it wasn't worse. It was pick your poison. We couldn't defend either.
3. That same team didn't score 42 on Bama. There are 3 first rounders in the pros that were on that team. Johny Football and Mike Evans were great college players.
4. TAMU also played many freshmen.
5. The last 3 years we beat plenty of teams that had and stockpiled talent the recruiting ranking wouldn't have us on the same page with. I'm all about recruiting known talent. What bothers me is the "projects" and under the radar guys that never seem to come out from under the radar. Our success depend on the talent in the state of SC. We got Clowney, Gilmore, Holloman, Swearinger, Alshon, Bruce Ellington, Devin Taylor, Kelcey Quarells and so on to come here from instate and we won. I understand this state doesn't have the numbers of the other states around us but our roster is full of out of state guys that can't beat out freshmen at corner...... I'm not a genius but there's no superstar talent on this team. Absolutely none. I have a problem with that. Like Spurrier said we had very little on the preseason SEC teams. None on the first team. That's uncalled for. I hope we get better but if you think this team will match the last three years you'll be disappointed. The defensive coaching isn't there. They sure can recruit but Play......Na.
1. you said freshman, and yes there's a big difference with another year in the system being a soph.
2. the scheme, if you want to call it that, was to not get beat deep.
3. your right, their 2013 team wasn't as good as this year's team.
4. they have two 5* WR that are every bit as good as Evans.....they have a 5* DE....they just have better players. We didn't play a team last year that's as good as A&M.
5. State of SC talent hasn't been as good lately.
Recruiting has it's ups and downs.....this year isn't going to be great.....it happens. 2015 will be. Why does it bother you for not having a super star. Did you know each year there are only about 20-25 five star players in the whole country.
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 01:07 AM   #56
b381l
Heisman Winner
 
b381l's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Virginia
Posts: 22,977
CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material
Default Re: Recruiting Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHSgc View Post
The only clown here is you. You carried water for this staff despite the very obvious recruiting miscues and now continue to defend them despite getting waxed in the first games due to the very mistakes that were painstakingly made known to you by posters here.

You can't blame the loss solely on recruiting, but to deny that anything I've said - which has been primarily that recruiting academic concerns at positions of need (DE, CB) has harmed us - is relevant to what happened last Thursday is utterly silly.

My posts and predictions speak for themselves. I take no delight in it, but the problems w/ our roster were blindingly obvious to everyone except the most deluded homer.


I don't need any posters on here to point out how terrible our defense was and the mistakes that were made. Also, if you have read any other of my posts, I squarely blamed the loss partly on the coaches for a variety of reasons, namely the 3-4.....way too many new/young players to learn a new defense in a short time especially without us having a DE or OLB to fit that scheme.....and to make matters worse, none of our coaches have a background in the 3-4. However, I don't blame the coaches for recruiting issues.....it's just that some things didn't work out as they had planned.....so I don't blame them for that. Are you saying they knew that Thomas, Sawyer, Wideman, Ritchie and Smalls weren't going to qualify when they signed LOI's in Feb 2014.....if you think that, you're nuts. We've won 33 games the last 3 years, 42 in 4 years, you cannot possibly expect that kind of performance each year, because if you do, your nuts.....oh sorry I already said that.
yes your posts and predictions do speak for themselves.....

Last edited by b381l; 09-03-2014 at 01:18 AM.
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 01:17 AM   #57
b381l
Heisman Winner
 
b381l's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Virginia
Posts: 22,977
CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material
Default Re: Recruiting Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by gin house View Post
That is true if it stays anywhere near what it is now after we go 7-5 or 8-4. Only problem with that is there's a pile of new talent but mostly high school kids. You think we're going to come in and win big with high school kids? We dropped the ball in recruiting and developing a few years back and it's walked up to us and smacked us in the face. I have no doubt we have great coaches and coaching is extremely important but talent is the difference. We are outmatched big time in the SEC. That is clear and present.
if you think we have great coaches, then why did you say they dropped the ball....we've had a top 15 class for each the last 4-5 years....you need to be specific how we dropped the ball. That's a general statement and is meaningless......there are always ups and downs in recruiting.....it isn't an exact science. Every few years, good teams have a down year or two.....and the quality of the recruits we have coming in next year is maybe the best class ever.
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 10:48 AM   #58
thekob
Household Name
 
thekob's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Lexington
Posts: 7,478
CockyCash: 100700
thekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot material
Default Re: Recruiting Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamecockTim1992 View Post
I do not know the insights into recruiting. That is for sure. However, I can do basic math.

With 85 scholarships, and 25 max per year, I would put up a board/spreadsheet with the idea of taking so many DLs, LBs, DBs, OLs, WRs, TEs, RBs, Ks, QBs, etc. per year. I would have a spreadsheet for each year and for the entire team. Inside of that, I would want to put things like size, speed, & other skills so that I could vary those attributes per class (i.e. smaller speedy guys on DL for faster packages, and bigger guys for run packages, etc, like we have had for the last several years). Now I realize that not every kid offered it going to accept, but by the end of the day, I would want to stay close to those numbers per year unless there is no one to fill, let's say a QB, one year. The next year we might have 2 QBs that we might target. Fill the year void of a QB with another position and strike one from there (or somewhere else) the following year.

Had we been doing this, I cannot imagine how we would be in such a position to not have big, thick guys to take up space on the DL to run a 4-3.

One other question...how many years has it been since Beamer left? Are we now seeing issues from his departure? IDK, just putting that out there. Our classes have been good to very good, but the quality of classes does not indicate any voids we may have in positional depth.

Lastly, I am 100% for this team and I believe that we will bounce back quickly. However, I do think that A&M exposed some issues personnel-wise.
We have enough bodies to run a 4-3. We just don't have enough good players to run the 4-3. You're getting bogged down in quantity, and also not realizing that they saw the writing on the wall. You can't MAKE players come here.

There were a number of factors over the past year that contributed to the defensive debacle. Lack of quality depth (i.e. playmakers) on the DL, a very good A&M offensive line, and a talented but very young secondary playing against superb WR's. We couldn't get pressure on the QB due to our DL issues combined with their OL, can't pressure their WR's at the line because they're so much bigger than our DB's. Recipe for disaster. That being said, not everyone's OL or WR or QB will be that good. Hopefully, combined with improvement in our defense due to our coaches doing their jobs, this season can still be a success.
__________________
GOD
USA
SEC
thekob is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:18 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Provided by SLB Development