CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Proving Ground

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
FurmanCock
davidmc467
JerseyBird
uscnoklahoma
Coulwoodwarlord
FLCock89
Travelin
ConwayGamecock
Gamecocks1137
Nassau Gamecock
USC/UNC Football Tic (780)
The Pucker Butt Pepp (564)
Vikings sign giant G (491)
Who gets the "t (418)
South Carolina at Ge (331)
Vandy QB leaves team (313)
Wideman come on man! (313)
You must choose (177)
Dean Smith Left Mone (157)
Orange and Purple pe (97)
NCAA Pickem
**GAME #1 USC vs. Georgia
Dexter Wideman
2015 NCAA Women's Tournam
THE NCAA TOURNAMENT DISCU
**GAME #2 USC vs. Georgia
Who gets the "touchd
QB Competition Open Until
Donnie Tyndall Out at Ten
From I am came from

View Poll Results: Recruiting vs Coaching?
Recruiting 6 9.23%
Coaching 59 90.77%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 09-02-2014, 05:13 AM   #9721
CockyLifer
Gamecocks R US MGMT

Male

CockyCash: 89095
CockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot material
Default Re: Recruiting Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofyboy View Post
Watch the game again. See who missed tackles. It was mostly linebackers. We seemed stronger to me in 4-3, and definitely got what little pressure we got except on about 3 LB blitzes (pressures). The DB's missed some tackles, but definitely didn't attack. The linebackers we have are capable of playing better and making some better hits and tackles. Maybe the 3-4 is messing up the rhythm they finally developed at the end of last season. Of course, we miss Clowney and Quarles, but I think the LB's have to make the biggest step forward this week.
I believe this is because that is what our defense was mainly recruited and evaluated for or a variation of the 4-3 or 4-2-5.
Old 09-02-2014, 05:15 AM   #9722
CockyLifer
Gamecocks R US MGMT

Male

CockyCash: 89095
CockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot material

Also yes the chemistry and rhythm we gained last year is gone because we played a different scheme last year.
Old 09-02-2014, 05:59 AM   #9723
bobbycock
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
bobbycock is developing his combbobbycock is developing his combbobbycock is developing his combbobbycock is developing his combbobbycock is developing his combbobbycock is developing his combbobbycock is developing his combbobbycock is developing his comb
Default Re: 2015 - Amonte Caban

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnetSwarm1990 View Post
Pretty impressive tape. He's a violent tackler and I like it.
Agree and we DEFINITELY need guys who know how to tackle.
Old 09-02-2014, 11:15 AM   #9724
PageUSC
Recruiting60%-Coaching40%

Male

CockyCash: 987375
PageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot material
Default Re: 2015 Commitment - Michael Bowman

We have parted ways. Bowman won't be coming here. Right move IMO
Old 09-02-2014, 12:54 PM   #9725
cockybreeyan
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 500
cockybreeyan is USC mascot materialcockybreeyan is USC mascot materialcockybreeyan is USC mascot materialcockybreeyan is USC mascot materialcockybreeyan is USC mascot materialcockybreeyan is USC mascot materialcockybreeyan is USC mascot materialcockybreeyan is USC mascot materialcockybreeyan is USC mascot materialcockybreeyan is USC mascot materialcockybreeyan is USC mascot material

So wait, his decision is supposed to come tomorrow? Or next Monday
Old 09-02-2014, 12:55 PM   #9726
cockybreeyan
Banned

Male

cockybreeyan is USC mascot materialcockybreeyan is USC mascot materialcockybreeyan is USC mascot materialcockybreeyan is USC mascot materialcockybreeyan is USC mascot materialcockybreeyan is USC mascot materialcockybreeyan is USC mascot materialcockybreeyan is USC mascot materialcockybreeyan is USC mascot materialcockybreeyan is USC mascot materialcockybreeyan is USC mascot material
Default Re: 2015 - Michael Bowman

Good. Don't want that kind of garbage here
Old 09-02-2014, 01:01 PM   #9727
kick_ball
high midi-chlorian count

Male

CockyCash: 521
kick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot material

hope the kid gets his life on track but probably important that he learns there are consequences for his actions
Old 09-02-2014, 02:57 PM   #9728
Jim Lahey
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1000700
Jim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot material

Calling Preston Williams. Preston Williams, USC line 1.
Old 09-02-2014, 03:02 PM   #9729
ReadR00ster
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1220
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Lahey View Post
Calling Preston Williams. Preston Williams, USC line 1.
Ha! I wish.
Old 09-02-2014, 04:22 PM   #9730
Storm Of Spurs
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 10800
Storm Of Spurs is USC mascot materialStorm Of Spurs is USC mascot materialStorm Of Spurs is USC mascot materialStorm Of Spurs is USC mascot materialStorm Of Spurs is USC mascot materialStorm Of Spurs is USC mascot materialStorm Of Spurs is USC mascot materialStorm Of Spurs is USC mascot materialStorm Of Spurs is USC mascot materialStorm Of Spurs is USC mascot materialStorm Of Spurs is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockybreeyan View Post
So wait, his decision is supposed to come tomorrow? Or next Monday
It's not really that difficult if you have any reading comprehension skills at all.

He wants to decide tomorrow (September 3rd) if possible.

But if for some reason he can't (like say his mother is not able to talk to the coaches she wants to talk to before a decision is made) then he plans to make an decision/announcement sometime between the 4th of September (Thursday) and the 8th of September (Monday).

Easy peasy.
Old 09-02-2014, 05:59 PM   #9731
cockybreeyan
Banned

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormOfTalons View Post
It's not really that difficult if you have any reading comprehension skills at all.

He wants to decide tomorrow (September 3rd) if possible.

But if for some reason he can't (like say his mother is not able to talk to the coaches she wants to talk to before a decision is made) then he plans to make an decision/announcement sometime between the 4th of September (Thursday) and the 8th of September (Monday).

Easy peasy.
except that could've been from a week ago, so no.
Old 09-02-2014, 06:34 PM   #9732
CHSgc
Recruit

Male

CHSgc is sharpening his clawsCHSgc is sharpening his clawsCHSgc is sharpening his clawsCHSgc is sharpening his clawsCHSgc is sharpening his claws

Quote:
Originally Posted by b381l View Post
and the other clown you responded to, he's not worthy of a response.
The only clown here is you. You carried water for this staff despite the very obvious recruiting miscues and now continue to defend them despite getting waxed in the first games due to the very mistakes that were painstakingly made known to you by posters here.

You can't blame the loss solely on recruiting, but to deny that anything I've said - which has been primarily that recruiting academic concerns at positions of need (DE, CB) has harmed us - is relevant to what happened last Thursday is utterly silly.

My posts and predictions speak for themselves. I take no delight in it, but the problems w/ our roster were blindingly obvious to everyone except the most deluded homer.
Old 09-02-2014, 06:52 PM   #9733
GamecockTim1992
Walk On

Male

GamecockTim1992 has hatched from the shell

I do not know the insights into recruiting. That is for sure. However, I can do basic math.

With 85 scholarships, and 25 max per year, I would put up a board/spreadsheet with the idea of taking so many DLs, LBs, DBs, OLs, WRs, TEs, RBs, Ks, QBs, etc. per year. I would have a spreadsheet for each year and for the entire team. Inside of that, I would want to put things like size, speed, & other skills so that I could vary those attributes per class (i.e. smaller speedy guys on DL for faster packages, and bigger guys for run packages, etc, like we have had for the last several years). Now I realize that not every kid offered it going to accept, but by the end of the day, I would want to stay close to those numbers per year unless there is no one to fill, let's say a QB, one year. The next year we might have 2 QBs that we might target. Fill the year void of a QB with another position and strike one from there (or somewhere else) the following year.

Had we been doing this, I cannot imagine how we would be in such a position to not have big, thick guys to take up space on the DL to run a 4-3.

One other question...how many years has it been since Beamer left? Are we now seeing issues from his departure? IDK, just putting that out there. Our classes have been good to very good, but the quality of classes does not indicate any voids we may have in positional depth.

Lastly, I am 100% for this team and I believe that we will bounce back quickly. However, I do think that A&M exposed some issues personnel-wise.
Old 09-02-2014, 07:30 PM   #9734
Roosterboy
Household Name

Male

Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material

Hate it for him...but we worked too hard to get our problems out of this program.
I hope he gets his life together, but I'm fully behind the coaches on this decision.
1975, 1977, 1981, 1982, 1985, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012
Two-time National Champs

Old 09-02-2014, 07:31 PM   #9735
Roosterboy
Household Name

Male

Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material

Hopefully we get this guy.
Maybe he watched Thursday's game and thought, "I can tackle...I can probably start day one."
1975, 1977, 1981, 1982, 1985, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012
Two-time National Champs

Old 09-02-2014, 07:33 PM   #9736
gin house
Blue Chip

Male

gin house is crowing loudlygin house is crowing loudlygin house is crowing loudlygin house is crowing loudlygin house is crowing loudlygin house is crowing loudlygin house is crowing loudlygin house is crowing loudlygin house is crowing loudlygin house is crowing loudlygin house is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofyboy View Post
Watch the game again. See who missed tackles. It was mostly linebackers. We seemed stronger to me in 4-3, and definitely got what little pressure we got except on about 3 LB blitzes (pressures). The DB's missed some tackles, but definitely didn't attack. The linebackers we have are capable of playing better and making some better hits and tackles. Maybe the 3-4 is messing up the rhythm they finally developed at the end of last season. Of course, we miss Clowney and Quarles, but I think the LB's have to make the biggest step forward this week.
That's even worse if that's the case. The linebackers were supposed to be our strength. I was in section 905 row 20. I watched the plays unfold am I'm sure it's even worse than TV. I would like to rewatch it.
Old 09-02-2014, 07:38 PM   #9737
gin house
Blue Chip

Male

gin house is crowing loudlygin house is crowing loudlygin house is crowing loudlygin house is crowing loudlygin house is crowing loudlygin house is crowing loudlygin house is crowing loudlygin house is crowing loudlygin house is crowing loudlygin house is crowing loudlygin house is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by b381l View Post
2015 class will be the best one since SOS has been here....and filling needs at DE, DB and OL. I know that nobody wants to hear, wait till next year's class gets here. But remember this, the road to the top is not a straight line.
That is true if it stays anywhere near what it is now after we go 7-5 or 8-4. Only problem with that is there's a pile of new talent but mostly high school kids. You think we're going to come in and win big with high school kids? We dropped the ball in recruiting and developing a few years back and it's walked up to us and smacked us in the face. I have no doubt we have great coaches and coaching is extremely important but talent is the difference. We are outmatched big time in the SEC. That is clear and present.
Old 09-02-2014, 07:39 PM   #9738
GregoryHouse
Custom User Title

Male

CockyCash: 30400
GregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot material
Default Re: 2015 Commitment - Michael Bowman

Quote:
Originally Posted by FearThethumbandDJ View Post
I wish we could have told them what to do vs a&m

Old 09-02-2014, 07:53 PM   #9739
Ahmad
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 1086
Ahmad rules the CockPitAhmad rules the CockPitAhmad rules the CockPitAhmad rules the CockPitAhmad rules the CockPitAhmad rules the CockPitAhmad rules the CockPitAhmad rules the CockPitAhmad rules the CockPitAhmad rules the CockPitAhmad rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by gin house View Post
That's even worse if that's the case. The linebackers were supposed to be our strength. I was in section 905 row 20. I watched the plays unfold am I'm sure it's even worse than TV. I would like to rewatch it.

The entire game is on watchespn or youtube if you didn't get to DVR it.
Old 09-02-2014, 08:02 PM   #9740
18IsTheMan
Banned

Male

18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs
Default Keeping 2015 together!

Just going over our list of 2015 recruits for the first time in a while. It is a nice looking class with some serious studs. Our coaches have done a great job getting commits from some top shelf talent. They will need to work their butts off to keep intact but I'm confident they'll pull it out.
Closed Thread