CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
gamecock88
Dietz
zcoop
GregoryHouse
Yearofthegamecock
Jdallen20
4gamecockfb
roosterdude21
Badazcock
CockyLifer
**USC vs. Auburn GAM (27962)
ESPN Game Day Commen (2224)
Simple "yes&quo (1571)
We actually didnt lo (1343)
Phil Steele just pre (1251)
what I think ab ward (1119)
Eat Crow (1015)
Extremely Proud (1001)
Garcia: Change the R (796)
I want people to exp (724)
**USC vs. Auburn GAME Thr
Stop bashing Dylan
BAW
Extremely Proud
Defense question
I want people to explain
We actually didnt lose
Who start on the d line t
Eat Crow
what I think ab ward

Old 09-02-2014, 11:00 AM   #61
N00k
SigMaster

Male

CockyCash: 1952776
N00k is USC mascot materialN00k is USC mascot materialN00k is USC mascot materialN00k is USC mascot materialN00k is USC mascot materialN00k is USC mascot materialN00k is USC mascot materialN00k is USC mascot materialN00k is USC mascot materialN00k is USC mascot materialN00k is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to N00k Send a message via Yahoo to N00k
Default Re: The Demise of the 3-4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy01 View Post
Scrapping the 3-4 at this point may be worse than continuing to play with it. They spent two camps trying to install it with a bunch of guys who never played the 4-3 system the staff used before. If they were going to scrap something it would probably be better served to scrap the 10 yard cushion they give receivers on every play.
AMEN!

N00k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 11:04 AM   #62
ZenUSC
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 500
ZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by N00k View Post
AMEN!
Maybe I'll eat crow over this but I don't think Whammy will be allowed to use the 3-4 against ECU.
ZenUSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 11:09 AM   #63
N00k
SigMaster

Male

CockyCash: 1952776
N00k is USC mascot materialN00k is USC mascot materialN00k is USC mascot materialN00k is USC mascot materialN00k is USC mascot materialN00k is USC mascot materialN00k is USC mascot materialN00k is USC mascot materialN00k is USC mascot materialN00k is USC mascot materialN00k is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to N00k Send a message via Yahoo to N00k

What I was really agreeing with was more of the fact of not playing a 10-12 yard cushion on the receivers. I guess that's inexperience not wanting to get beat over the top. Nobody said that with the 3-4 you had to play a soft zone like we did all night. I could have gone out there and thrown 8 yard passes down the field all night. We've got to trust who we have on the field in the secondary and let them play. TAM never even went down field, simply because we gave them underneath ALL NIGHT.

N00k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 11:10 AM   #64
JDStud6
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 475
JDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudly

I saw somewhere on this board where the average yard per play with a 4-2 was about half vs the 3-4.

When UGA switched to the 3-4 I remember their D looked pretty bad.

JD
JDStud6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 11:24 AM   #65
Ahmad
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 726
Ahmad rules the CockPitAhmad rules the CockPitAhmad rules the CockPitAhmad rules the CockPitAhmad rules the CockPitAhmad rules the CockPitAhmad rules the CockPitAhmad rules the CockPitAhmad rules the CockPitAhmad rules the CockPitAhmad rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by N00k View Post
What I was really agreeing with was more of the fact of not playing a 10-12 yard cushion on the receivers. I guess that's inexperience not wanting to get beat over the top. Nobody said that with the 3-4 you had to play a soft zone like we did all night. I could have gone out there and thrown 8 yard passes down the field all night. We've got to trust who we have on the field in the secondary and let them play. TAM never even went down field, simply because we gave them underneath ALL NIGHT.
I think we started playing with a cushion, after RSJ got open deep twice on the first 2 drives for A&M.
Old 09-02-2014, 11:30 AM   #66
duff18
Blue Chip

Male

duff18 is developing his combduff18 is developing his combduff18 is developing his combduff18 is developing his combduff18 is developing his combduff18 is developing his combduff18 is developing his combduff18 is developing his combduff18 is developing his combduff18 is developing his comb

I agree with a lot of the posters about personnel for the 3-4. It relies on a NT that can eat up space and occupy 2 OL. It also relies on a couple or at least one stud OLB. I think of one of the better 3-4 defenses of all time and it was the NY Giants in the mid to late 80's. Three beefy D-lineman with a great NT and then the best OLB ever to play the game in LT. Not saying the 3-4 cannot work, but do we have that kind of personnel? I don't think we do at this time. I was at the LSU/Wisconsin game and the 4-3 just looks better. It fits my eye and before the ball is snapped, just looks like it will work. That and LSU DB's are very aggressive and jam those receivers. Tanner McEvoy could not do squat.... I digress....

I also get a little perplexed by Spurrier. Love the guy and he is an offensive genius, but this notion that he stays away from the defense scheming and coaching bothers me. He knows what A&M runs on offense and he knows what we run on offense. Does he not look at his own defensive scheme, the large cushion by the DB's, the lack of pass rush, and not think to himself, "man I can pick this apart and I bet Sumlin can too..." ???? To be critical of the 3-4 after we get torched is a little late. He should have known - as an offensive coach - that our D could and will get shredded.....well, it did.
duff18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 11:40 AM   #67
ZenUSC
Two Deep

Male

ZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by duff18 View Post
I agree with a lot of the posters about personnel for the 3-4. It relies on a NT that can eat up space and occupy 2 OL

I also get a little perplexed by Spurrier. Love the guy and he is an offensive genius, but this notion that he stays away from the defense scheming and coaching bothers me. He knows what A&M runs on offense and he knows what we run on offense. Does he not look at his own defensive scheme, the large cushion by the DB's, the lack of pass rush, and not think to himself, "man I can pick this apart and I bet Sumlin can too..." ???? To be critical of the 3-4 after we get torched is a little late. He should have known - as an offensive coach - that our D could and will get shredded.....well, it did.
Occupy 2 OL? We haven't had that since Roy Hart.

Early in the TAMU game Spurrier told Whammy to can the 3-4 and rotate players in the 4 man front.
ZenUSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 12:35 PM   #68
kingofnerf
4-Star

Male

kingofnerf has earned his spurskingofnerf has earned his spurskingofnerf has earned his spurskingofnerf has earned his spurskingofnerf has earned his spurskingofnerf has earned his spurs

Others here know more than me, but it seems that we abandoned fundamentals in this game so much to the point where you really can't evaluate the 3-4 defense or any other scheme properly.

Take a look at Alabama. I thought the Mountaineers were going to give them the same waxing the Aggies gave us, but the Tide found the answer and held WVU in check. Sumlin-style offenses are here to stay this season.

There's an argument for staying with the 3-4 and making it work, even if it means risking a loss to ECU. The same goes for embracing Sumlin's offensive strategy enough to have it as a contingency in our other games if needed.

If you look past the emotional side of the loss, the grain of salt is that the defense that showed up for the Aggies game couldn't have executed a game of checkers properly because of a lack of fundamentals.

Maybe HBC needs to correct the fundamentals issues and give the 3-4 another shot in the ECU game. You know we'll see the Aggies once more in the championship game when we get the problems fixed and live up to predictions.
kingofnerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 12:40 PM   #69
Dizzy01
Game MVP

Male

Dizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahmad View Post
I think we started playing with a cushion, after RSJ got open deep twice on the first 2 drives for A&M.
They've been running the soft zone since Johnson was here. It had nothing to do with anything A&M did.
Dizzy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 12:42 PM   #70
LegalCock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1500
LegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenUSC View Post
Maybe I'll eat crow over this but I don't think Whammy will be allowed to use the 3-4 against ECU.
Yeah, you will.
LegalCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 12:53 PM   #71
Cruzer
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 855
Cruzer has developed his gaff and talonsCruzer has developed his gaff and talonsCruzer has developed his gaff and talonsCruzer has developed his gaff and talonsCruzer has developed his gaff and talonsCruzer has developed his gaff and talonsCruzer has developed his gaff and talonsCruzer has developed his gaff and talonsCruzer has developed his gaff and talonsCruzer has developed his gaff and talonsCruzer has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnellvilleSpur View Post
Hey, I just bought deer whistles for my truck and car! I'd try anything after hitting two deer inside of a two-week period. Now you're telling me they have the functionality of a 3/4?! Damn.
Old 09-02-2014, 12:55 PM   #72
ReCOCKulous
Master Debater

Male

ReCOCKulous is USC mascot materialReCOCKulous is USC mascot materialReCOCKulous is USC mascot materialReCOCKulous is USC mascot materialReCOCKulous is USC mascot materialReCOCKulous is USC mascot materialReCOCKulous is USC mascot materialReCOCKulous is USC mascot materialReCOCKulous is USC mascot materialReCOCKulous is USC mascot materialReCOCKulous is USC mascot material

In the 3-4 72% of the game. In that set, A&M averaged 7.7 yards per play.
In the 4-2-5 28% of the game. In that set, A&M averaged 4.4 yards per play.

Math is a wonderful thing. So get off your ath and do some math. Math, math, math, math, math. - Jack Black in School of Rock.

Are you ready for the revolution?
ReCOCKulous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 12:56 PM   #73
Cruzer
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 855
Cruzer has developed his gaff and talonsCruzer has developed his gaff and talonsCruzer has developed his gaff and talonsCruzer has developed his gaff and talonsCruzer has developed his gaff and talonsCruzer has developed his gaff and talonsCruzer has developed his gaff and talonsCruzer has developed his gaff and talonsCruzer has developed his gaff and talonsCruzer has developed his gaff and talonsCruzer has developed his gaff and talons

The 3-4 can't be that bad?
Old 09-02-2014, 08:04 PM   #74
zcoop
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 404
zcoop has hatched from the shell

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofnerf View Post
Others here know more than me, but it seems that we abandoned fundamentals in this game so much to the point where you really can't evaluate the 3-4 defense or any other scheme properly.

Take a look at Alabama. I thought the Mountaineers were going to give them the same waxing the Aggies gave us, but the Tide found the answer and held WVU in check. Sumlin-style offenses are here to stay this season.

There's an argument for staying with the 3-4 and making it work, even if it means risking a loss to ECU. The same goes for embracing Sumlin's offensive strategy enough to have it as a contingency in our other games if needed.

If you look past the emotional side of the loss, the grain of salt is that the defense that showed up for the Aggies game couldn't have executed a game of checkers properly because of a lack of fundamentals.

Maybe HBC needs to correct the fundamentals issues and give the 3-4 another shot in the ECU game. You know we'll see the Aggies once more in the championship game when we get the problems fixed and live up to predictions.
Of course Bama didn't stop establishing the run either. WV played Bama well but got worn down as the game progressed.

Our defense was gassed by halftime.
zcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 12:07 AM   #75
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzer View Post
The 3-4 can't be that bad?
it's not just the scheme (which we don't have the proper players to play), it's making the players have to think instead of react, and they were way to slow to the ball. We need to simplify just like we did when Ellis Johnson was here and we were having problems with our DB's.
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote