CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
ColaCock
doubledribble
Coulwoodwarlord
ktguen
ucan'tlickourcocks
I Bleed Garnet
PosiVibeWarrior
TAFC 5 1981
Skai Moore out for U (1135)
Troubles in Tigertow (868)
TN game weather (865)
Who is your favorite (743)
Cockaboose Video (522)
Marvel releases movi (338)
Michigan AD Dave Bra (316)
FSU vs. Louisville (242)
Aliens Are Real (223)
Virgin Spaceship Exp (172)
We're going to the NCAA T
Uniforms for Tenn
2014 Ultimate Tailgate --
Interesting quotes from D
SEC Coaches Dress Up for
Have you ever been so wro
Who is your favorite play
Tennessee Offense Breakdo
Lattimore to play after S
Daily Dose of Food Porn!


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2014, 08:08 PM   #61
18IsTheMan
Banned
 
18IsTheMan's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Maryland
Posts: 528
CockyCash: 500
18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs
Default Re: Not a talent issue

In my years over at GoGamecocks, most forum members there were absolutely adamant that there was absolutely nothing to star ratings for recruits, recruiting rankings, etc. Many a vigorous debates ensued whenever anyone suggested that recruiting rankings mattered.

Seems to be the opposite mind set here.
18IsTheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 08:43 PM   #62
CHSgc
Recruit
 
CHSgc's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 208
CockyCash: 500
CHSgc is sharpening his clawsCHSgc is sharpening his clawsCHSgc is sharpening his clawsCHSgc is sharpening his claws
Default Re: Not a talent issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18IsTheMan View Post
In my years over at GoGamecocks, most forum members there were absolutely adamant that there was absolutely nothing to star ratings for recruits, recruiting rankings, etc. Many a vigorous debates ensued whenever anyone suggested that recruiting rankings mattered.

Seems to be the opposite mind set here.
No way. I've been crucified on the recruiting board (banned for a wk at one point) by many of the same people in here all of a sudden whistling a different tune re: stars.

The reality a/b stars and recruiting rankings is a little more nuanced and in this particular instance a lot of people are overlooking roster mgmt (we have 4* talent at DB, for instance, it's mostly youth, though), but make no mistake, recruiting--and in a broad, general sense, rankings--matter. There are exceptions, but we aren't going to beat a well-coached team w/ the type of talent advantage that A&M enjoyed over us.
CHSgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 09:25 PM   #63
conwaycock2
Two Deep
 
conwaycock2's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: longs
Posts: 1,208
CockyCash: 500
conwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot material
Default Re: Not a talent issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipull4usc View Post
I highly disagree. We lack talent at defensive end, and our line play is rendered totally ineffective because of it. 44 is currently ineffective with his limited athleticism, and 5 is entirely ineffective given his light weight; however, we don't have anyone to substitute in their place. That's a lack of talent.

A&M has tremendous talent at WR, which none of our defenders could match up with. It will be doubtful that many, if any, teams are able to match A&M's talent at WR, but its undeniable that we were outclassed in that regard.

Overall, A&M just looked like a bigger, stronger, faster, and significantly more talented team than Carolina.


Yep
conwaycock2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 09:38 PM   #64
gromweat
Walk On
 
gromweat's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Spartanburg SC
Posts: 61
CockyCash: 500
gromweat has hatched from the shell
Default Re: Not a talent issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by conwaycock2 View Post
Yep
I guess we shall see how the season unfolds. But if it truly was the 70's cowboys out there we were playing they should crush every team in the SEC. I also think we looked a lot faster on our offense than they did on defense. Nick Jones out ran their DBs!
gromweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 09:41 PM   #65
GarnetSwarm1990
Game MVP
 
GarnetSwarm1990's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,633
CockyCash: 738
GarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudly
Default Re: Not a talent issue

Anybody else think that it's messed up for the schedule makers to schedule conference games for game #1? I can understand playing good OOC team week 1 like LSU and Georgia did but, for only 4 teams to get a conference game week 1 and some others not starting their conference games until 3 or 4 is a severe disadvantage.

Now, every other team in the east has a half game lead right out of the gate. I don't like playing conference games week 1.
GarnetSwarm1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 09:50 PM   #66
NinjaSven
Starter
 
NinjaSven's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 1,380
CockyCash: 515
NinjaSven is crowing loudlyNinjaSven is crowing loudlyNinjaSven is crowing loudlyNinjaSven is crowing loudlyNinjaSven is crowing loudlyNinjaSven is crowing loudlyNinjaSven is crowing loudlyNinjaSven is crowing loudlyNinjaSven is crowing loudlyNinjaSven is crowing loudlyNinjaSven is crowing loudly
Default Re: Not a talent issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by gromweat View Post
I guess we shall see how the season unfolds. But if it truly was the 70's cowboys out there we were playing they should crush every team in the SEC. I also think we looked a lot faster on our offense than they did on defense. Nick Jones out ran their DBs!
They could end up looking like the 70's Cowboys. Our defense, though, looked like the 2013 Cowboys' D.
__________________
"After victory, tighten your helmet cord"
-Japanese Proverb
NinjaSven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 09:52 PM   #67
NinjaSven
Starter
 
NinjaSven's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 1,380
CockyCash: 515
NinjaSven is crowing loudlyNinjaSven is crowing loudlyNinjaSven is crowing loudlyNinjaSven is crowing loudlyNinjaSven is crowing loudlyNinjaSven is crowing loudlyNinjaSven is crowing loudlyNinjaSven is crowing loudlyNinjaSven is crowing loudlyNinjaSven is crowing loudlyNinjaSven is crowing loudly
Default Re: Not a talent issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnetSwarm1990 View Post
Anybody else think that it's messed up for the schedule makers to schedule conference games for game #1? I can understand playing good OOC team week 1 like LSU and Georgia did but, for only 4 teams to get a conference game week 1 and some others not starting their conference games until 3 or 4 is a severe disadvantage.

Now, every other team in the east has a half game lead right out of the gate. I don't like playing conference games week 1.
Would you be complaining if we beat A&M? I don't really like playing a conference game right off the bat either, but we have to look at both sides of the coin. One team gets a leg up, and we...well, you know how it goes.
__________________
"After victory, tighten your helmet cord"
-Japanese Proverb
NinjaSven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 09:58 PM   #68
Ph/JDCock
4-Star
 
Ph/JDCock's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 251
CockyCash: 700
Ph/JDCock is crowing loudlyPh/JDCock is crowing loudlyPh/JDCock is crowing loudlyPh/JDCock is crowing loudlyPh/JDCock is crowing loudlyPh/JDCock is crowing loudlyPh/JDCock is crowing loudlyPh/JDCock is crowing loudlyPh/JDCock is crowing loudlyPh/JDCock is crowing loudlyPh/JDCock is crowing loudly
Default Re: Not a talent issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18IsTheMan View Post
In my years over at GoGamecocks, most forum members there were absolutely adamant that there was absolutely nothing to star ratings for recruits, recruiting rankings, etc. Many a vigorous debates ensued whenever anyone suggested that recruiting rankings mattered.

Seems to be the opposite mind set here.
The mistake that people make about star ratings when they're trying to make the case that they don't matter is that they believe that the outliers are generalizable to a larger truth (that because Ko Simpson was a 2*, you can build a team with a bunch of lower ranked players). Although there are players who fly under the radar and plenty of high-rated players who are busts, the star-rating system generally has a fairly good correlation with success at the next level. Clowney, Quarles and Sutton (and Devin Taylor, Melvin Ingram, Travian Robertson and Cliff Matthews before them) were better players than the players we currently have at this point in their careers, and they were generally higher rated than the players we have now.

In addition to our being able to see what Ward is made of this year, we'll also see how Deke Adams measures up as a talent developer over the next couple of years. He's got a great reputation as a recruiter, but what we need now more than anything is fundamentals.
Ph/JDCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 10:00 PM   #69
gromweat
Walk On
 
gromweat's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Spartanburg SC
Posts: 61
CockyCash: 500
gromweat has hatched from the shell
Default Re: Not a talent issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaSven View Post
They could end up looking like the 70's Cowboys. Our defense, though, looked like the 2013 Cowboys' D.
Agreed :) but I think we have more potential than that. We had a lot of miscues. The drive where they scored a field goal to make it 10-0 had quite a few. Look at the 6:07 minute of this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLTLEDQNKNQ Darius made a great move to get to the qb but did not finish.
gromweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 10:03 PM   #70
NinjaSven
Starter
 
NinjaSven's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 1,380
CockyCash: 515
NinjaSven is crowing loudlyNinjaSven is crowing loudlyNinjaSven is crowing loudlyNinjaSven is crowing loudlyNinjaSven is crowing loudlyNinjaSven is crowing loudlyNinjaSven is crowing loudlyNinjaSven is crowing loudlyNinjaSven is crowing loudlyNinjaSven is crowing loudlyNinjaSven is crowing loudly
Default Re: Not a talent issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by gromweat View Post
Agreed :) but I think we have more potential than that. We had a lot of miscues. The drive where they scored a field goal to make it 10-0 had quite a few. Look at the 6:07 minute of this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLTLEDQNKNQ Darius made a great move to get to the qb but did not finish.
I agree with you that we have more potential than that. We really should have stopped them on more 3rd downs. We had a lot of miscues. Making them punt more would have changed the complexion (and momentum) of the game.
__________________
"After victory, tighten your helmet cord"
-Japanese Proverb
NinjaSven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 10:19 PM   #71
cockymac
I was the white shadow.
 
cockymac's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 3,488
CockyCash: 300500
cockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot material
Default Re: Not a talent issue

I can make this easy. Name every player on our defense that is going to make an NFL team.

Sorry, I can't hear you over the silence. Maybe Elder, Williams and Surratt make a practice squad. Skai Moore is our best defender, and he is a 210 pound linebacker. Maybe if he gained 30 pounds and kept his quickness, he would be. The jury is still out on BAW and Harris (but Harris won't if he doesn't gain 30 lbs too). The point is, there is no NFL player there right now. We missed out on a lot of dline talent after we got Clowney. I'm not sure what happened.

On offense, you can for sure say that Davis and Cann will make it. Robinson and Shell will get a shot.

If you think its coaching, then you truly don't understand how good Gilmore, Ingram, Taylor, Clowney, Holloman, and some of those other guys were. We were fantastic with them. What happened? Did we forget how to coach?

There is a guy that is now up in New England that was fired at his first stop because he supposedly couldn't coach. New England hires him and all of a sudden he is one of the best ever. Funny what having talent will do.
cockymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 10:43 PM   #72
fridayserv
4-Star
 
fridayserv's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: aiken
Posts: 251
CockyCash: 500
fridayserv is making other chickens nervousfridayserv is making other chickens nervousfridayserv is making other chickens nervousfridayserv is making other chickens nervousfridayserv is making other chickens nervousfridayserv is making other chickens nervousfridayserv is making other chickens nervousfridayserv is making other chickens nervous
Default Re: Not a talent issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockymac View Post
I can make this easy. Name every player on our defense that is going to make an NFL team.

Sorry, I can't hear you over the silence. Maybe Elder, Williams and Surratt make a practice squad. Skai Moore is our best defender, and he is a 210 pound linebacker. Maybe if he gained 30 pounds and kept his quickness, he would be. The jury is still out on BAW and Harris (but Harris won't if he doesn't gain 30 lbs too). The point is, there is no NFL player there right now. We missed out on a lot of dline talent after we got Clowney. I'm not sure what happened.

On offense, you can for sure say that Davis and Cann will make it. Robinson and Shell will get a shot.

If you think its coaching, then you truly don't understand how good Gilmore, Ingram, Taylor, Clowney, Holloman, and some of those other guys were. We were fantastic with them. What happened? Did we forget how to coach?

There is a guy that is now up in New England that was fired at his first stop because he supposedly couldn't coach. New England hires him and all of a sudden he is one of the best ever. Funny what having talent will do.
I agree it is not the talent, at this level in the SEC it is the numbers game. A&M had a good OL, they kept 5 ol against our 3 down, they kept 7 against our 4 down. 5OL, 1 TE and 1 RB. Now Georgia put 6 DL on Clemson, LSU put 6 DL on Wisconsin, Alabama, Auburn, Old Miss, all use 6 DL to force the QB out of the pocket. Our Coaches better wake up. Its the numbers game.
fridayserv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 10:47 PM   #73
gromweat
Walk On
 
gromweat's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Spartanburg SC
Posts: 61
CockyCash: 500
gromweat has hatched from the shell
Default Re: Not a talent issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockymac View Post
I can make this easy. Name every player on our defense that is going to make an NFL team.

Sorry, I can't hear you over the silence. Maybe Elder, Williams and Surratt make a practice squad. Skai Moore is our best defender, and he is a 210 pound linebacker. Maybe if he gained 30 pounds and kept his quickness, he would be. The jury is still out on BAW and Harris (but Harris won't if he doesn't gain 30 lbs too). The point is, there is no NFL player there right now. We missed out on a lot of dline talent after we got Clowney. I'm not sure what happened.

On offense, you can for sure say that Davis and Cann will make it. Robinson and Shell will get a shot.

If you think its coaching, then you truly don't understand how good Gilmore, Ingram, Taylor, Clowney, Holloman, and some of those other guys were. We were fantastic with them. What happened? Did we forget how to coach?

There is a guy that is now up in New England that was fired at his first stop because he supposedly couldn't coach. New England hires him and all of a sudden he is one of the best ever. Funny what having talent will do.
Good at college ball does not = NFL. If it did Alabama would would be number one on this list:
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/...FL-talent.html
and they are not. Sometimes it is coaching. Spurrier at Duke. Spurrier kicking GA butt at Florida and Clemson butt here. Having impact players is important and while we had a few on offense last game (Adams, cooper, jones) we had none on Defense. But that does not mean there will not be before the season is over. I would wager we will have a quite a few on defense take a step up in the next couple of years. You are making to general a statement over one game. Do you not remember our 9-5 season and what Arky did to us and those NFL players? Do you not remember what Florida did to us in 2012. So you can keep on believing we have none. Does not matter to me. I will take HBC's opinion over yours as he stated today he believed we had the "Talent!!!!!" to get it done.
gromweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 10:53 PM   #74
GarnetSwarm1990
Game MVP
 
GarnetSwarm1990's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,633
CockyCash: 738
GarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudly
Default Re: Not a talent issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by fridayserv View Post
I agree it is not the talent, at this level in the SEC it is the numbers game. A&M had a good OL, they kept 5 ol against our 3 down, they kept 7 against our 4 down. 5OL, 1 TE and 1 RB. Now Georgia put 6 DL on Clemson, LSU put 6 DL on Wisconsin, Alabama, Auburn, Old Miss, all use 6 DL to force the QB out of the pocket. Our Coaches better wake up. Its the numbers game.
Ummm nobody uses 6 defensive linemen at one time........
GarnetSwarm1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 11:15 PM   #75
conwaycock2
Two Deep
 
conwaycock2's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: longs
Posts: 1,208
CockyCash: 500
conwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot material
Default Re: Not a talent issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by gromweat View Post
Good at college ball does not = NFL. If it did Alabama would would be number one on this list:
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/...FL-talent.html
and they are not. Sometimes it is coaching. Spurrier at Duke. Spurrier kicking GA butt at Florida and Clemson butt here. Having impact players is important and while we had a few on offense last game (Adams, cooper, jones) we had none on Defense. But that does not mean there will not be before the season is over. I would wager we will have a quite a few on defense take a step up in the next couple of years. You are making to general a statement over one game. Do you not remember our 9-5 season and what Arky did to us and those NFL players? Do you not remember what Florida did to us in 2012. So you can keep on believing we have none. Does not matter to me. I will take HBC's opinion over yours as he stated today he believed we had the "Talent!!!!!" to get it done.
You seem to be saying that essentially the same coaching staff that won 33 games & lost 6 over the past 3 years has mysteriously forgotten how to coach. We have a severe lack of talent at several positions. Don't take my word for it, watch our DL & see if you see any consistent explosion. There's not a QB in this league who couldn't make the throws Hill made the other night. We have OK talent at LB but certainly not overwhelming. In the secondary we have some young talent that is very inexperienced forcing us to play our best guy out of position because that's the best option available right now. Why? We've got a bunch of DB's on the roster.

So my questions are simple? At what point in time did our coaches forget how to coach? And with all this talent why is USC forced to play 2 true freshmen who are clearly not physically ready at cb? We also may be replacing a OG & Center with two guys who have played very sparingly. If you have to ask why then you paid absolutely no attention to the game Thursday. It was ugly in there.
conwaycock2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 11:27 PM   #76
dixiecock
Walk On
 
dixiecock's Avatar
 


Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 41
CockyCash: 500
dixiecock is learning to peck
Default Re: Not a talent issue

come on man, there was a big talent gap between thier player son offense and our players on defense. Talent, size, and speed killed us. Mismatches everywhere.

the 3-4 came form the 5-2, the 3-4 is actually meant to be a defense used to stop the run allowing linbackers to fly around and bring an additional defender to the play. Th key is you need 2 studs on either end to anchor the line and occupy 2 blockers. We don't have that.

When the 3-4 is used against the pass you better have db's that are able to play tight and you need to blitz. We did not blitx and played soft coverage, not a good idea. When we did blitz our lb's were 5 yards deep and could not get to the qb in time. put thesecondary in man, blitx and make the qb either move or make an early pass. we did none of this Thursday.
dixiecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 11:41 PM   #77
fridayserv
4-Star
 
fridayserv's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: aiken
Posts: 251
CockyCash: 500
fridayserv is making other chickens nervousfridayserv is making other chickens nervousfridayserv is making other chickens nervousfridayserv is making other chickens nervousfridayserv is making other chickens nervousfridayserv is making other chickens nervousfridayserv is making other chickens nervousfridayserv is making other chickens nervous
Default Re: Not a talent issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnetSwarm1990 View Post
Ummm nobody uses 6 defensive linemen at one time........
You are right, let me correct it 6 defensive players on the line rushing the QB.
fridayserv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 11:59 PM   #78
gromweat
Walk On
 
gromweat's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Spartanburg SC
Posts: 61
CockyCash: 500
gromweat has hatched from the shell
Default Re: Not a talent issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by conwaycock2 View Post
You seem to be saying that essentially the same coaching staff that won 33 games & lost 6 over the past 3 years has mysteriously forgotten how to coach. We have a severe lack of talent at several positions. Don't take my word for it, watch our DL & see if you see any consistent explosion. There's not a QB in this league who couldn't make the throws Hill made the other night. We have OK talent at LB but certainly not overwhelming. In the secondary we have some young talent that is very inexperienced forcing us to play our best guy out of position because that's the best option available right now. Why? We've got a bunch of DB's on the roster.

So my questions are simple? At what point in time did our coaches forget how to coach? And with all this talent why is USC forced to play 2 true freshmen who are clearly not physically ready at cb? We also may be replacing a OG & Center with two guys who have played very sparingly. If you have to ask why then you paid absolutely no attention to the game Thursday. It was ugly in there.
So using this rationale, the players lost their talent for one game against Florida and then got it all back the next week.
gromweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 12:02 AM   #79
gromweat
Walk On
 
gromweat's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Spartanburg SC
Posts: 61
CockyCash: 500
gromweat has hatched from the shell
Default Re: Not a talent issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiecock View Post
come on man, there was a big talent gap between thier player son offense and our players on defense. Talent, size, and speed killed us. Mismatches everywhere.

the 3-4 came form the 5-2, the 3-4 is actually meant to be a defense used to stop the run allowing linbackers to fly around and bring an additional defender to the play. Th key is you need 2 studs on either end to anchor the line and occupy 2 blockers. We don't have that.

When the 3-4 is used against the pass you better have db's that are able to play tight and you need to blitz. We did not blitx and played soft coverage, not a good idea. When we did blitz our lb's were 5 yards deep and could not get to the qb in time. put thesecondary in man, blitx and make the qb either move or make an early pass. we did none of this Thursday.
Disagree. I saw the back seven looked lost and arm tackled. Never once did I see them out run our players. I will give that their receiving core blocked very well and we did a lousy job of getting off of those blocks.
gromweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 12:32 AM   #80
conwaycock2
Two Deep
 
conwaycock2's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: longs
Posts: 1,208
CockyCash: 500
conwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot material
Default Re: Not a talent issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by gromweat View Post
So using this rationale, the players lost their talent for one game against Florida and then got it all back the next week.
Ward for the 1st time ever implemented the 3-4 & did so for a very good reason even though we really don't have the personnel to run it. Why do you suppose he went away from what has been very successful in the past? You think he did that for grins? He did so because he felt the only way he was going to be able to get consistent pressure was going to be by bringing a LB. It's no secret, Ward will tell you straight out that's why he felt forced to make that move. He has only been partially correct to this point. He's not getting pressure from the DL nor the LB's.

As soon as he gets some horses back in the stable I will absolutely guarantee you he will go back to a 4-3 just like he's always done.
conwaycock2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:24 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Provided by SLB Development