CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
ucan'tlickourcocks
Badazcock
Gamecockswag
Gamecocks1137
ReadR00ster
b381l
Regalcock
cocksmith1or11
kingofnerf
NAGamecockFan
Simple "yes&quo (711)
The Comeback & T (659)
ESPN Game Day Commen (654)
Bashing Players, coa (465)
NCAAF: SOUTH CAROLIN (451)
**USC vs. Auburn GAM (451)
TeMarcus Blanton (387)
Phil Steele just pre (345)
Garcia: Change the R (196)
Wallpaper & Back (195)
Rank the QBs under Spurri
Ranking Top HC jobs in SE
Garcia: Change the Rules
ESPN Game Day Comments Re
Simple "yes" or
Bama @ Tennessee
Name a Gamecock
Discussion: 2015 Recruiti
Phil Steele just predicte
Who start on the d line t

Old 09-03-2014, 12:03 AM   #1
Evilchicken3
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 500
Evilchicken3 has earned his spursEvilchicken3 has earned his spursEvilchicken3 has earned his spursEvilchicken3 has earned his spursEvilchicken3 has earned his spursEvilchicken3 has earned his spurs
Default Why won't Spurrier implement the spread offense here?

Kevin Sumlin, Gus Malzahn, Bobby Petrino, Chip Kelly use it, and the list goes on. Varieties such as the air raid, and pro-spread have proven to be very lethal to opposing defenses, so why won't Spurrier, the inventor of the FNG try and implement it? If Texas A&m can use it for evil purposes, why can't we? I'd love to see a flat out killer spread be used here.
Evilchicken3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 12:10 AM   #2
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material
Default Re: Why won't Spurrier implement the spread offense here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilchicken3 View Post
Kevin Sumlin, Gus Malzahn, Bobby Petrino, Chip Kelly use it, and the list goes on. Varieties such as the air raid, and pro-spread have proven to be very lethal to opposing defenses, so why won't Spurrier, the inventor of the FNG try and implement it? If Texas A&m can use it for evil purposes, why can't we? I'd love to see a flat out killer spread be used here.
Saban, Miles, Richt and Fisher don't.
b381l is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 12:20 AM   #3
Evilchicken3
Banned

Male

Evilchicken3 has earned his spursEvilchicken3 has earned his spursEvilchicken3 has earned his spursEvilchicken3 has earned his spursEvilchicken3 has earned his spursEvilchicken3 has earned his spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by b381l View Post
Saban, Miles, Richt and Fisher don't.
Spurrier is an OFFENSIVE guy. His thinking goes right along with the devastating aspect of the Spread. Isn't he the perfect guy to tinker with the Spread, or has he become too archaic in his thinking to innovate anymore?
Evilchicken3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 12:25 AM   #4
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Quote:
Spurrier is an OFFENSIVE guy. His thinking goes right along with the devastating aspect of the Spread. Isn't he the perfect guy to tinker with the Spread, or has he become too archaic in his thinking to innovate anymore?
SOS has already made adjustments to his offense to adapt to the zone read......his offense is fine......Malzahn's offense is more run oriented, it's not a spread.
Old 09-03-2014, 12:26 AM   #5
kick_ball
high midi-chlorian count

Male

CockyCash: 521
kick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot material

All those guy you mention run very different offenses .. Sumlin runs a verison of the air raid, malzahn is actually a version of the zone read that's predicated on a very run first mentality (essentially the triple option out of the shotgun), Petrino actually had a balanced attack with a couple of pro sets the other night actually .. The spread is such a loose term and over used to describe such a variety of different offenses ... The overall idea is to get athletes into space
Old 09-03-2014, 12:32 AM   #6
Ahmad
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 726
Ahmad rules the CockPitAhmad rules the CockPitAhmad rules the CockPitAhmad rules the CockPitAhmad rules the CockPitAhmad rules the CockPitAhmad rules the CockPitAhmad rules the CockPitAhmad rules the CockPitAhmad rules the CockPitAhmad rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by b381l View Post
SOS has already made adjustments to his offense to adapt to the zone read......his offense is fine......Malzahn's offense is more run oriented, it's not a spread.
It's basically a hybrid Option offense.
Old 09-03-2014, 12:51 AM   #7
Talon1
4-Star

Male

Talon1 is making other chickens nervousTalon1 is making other chickens nervousTalon1 is making other chickens nervousTalon1 is making other chickens nervousTalon1 is making other chickens nervousTalon1 is making other chickens nervousTalon1 is making other chickens nervous

Quote:
Clemson uses it also... I don't recall them being too successful against us recently. Just say'in...
Talon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 01:54 AM   #8
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahmad View Post
It's basically a hybrid Option offense.
yes, but run first......
Old 09-03-2014, 01:58 AM   #9
sunbeam
4-Star

Male

sunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talons

I have a personal definition of the spread. Basically the qb does not take snap directly from center, but it is a long snap. Additonally the qb is a designed runner.

Now even if I call it a spread, you can do it pass oriented like Clemson, or run like Malzahn, RichRod, or Nevada.

The Air Raid is often called a spread, and it does spread the field in a similar fashion. But the big difference to me is the qb really isn't a runner.

Though Sumlin and it looks like Holgorsen definitely seem to be adding qb runs to their spread versions. Sumlin rolled his qb out a lot, and he also ran a lot.

Maybe Halliday at Washington State is immobile, but Leach doesn't appear to be doing that. So maybe the Air Raid and Spread are converging.

I will say the line is kind of nebulous. The Chad seems to love to throw as much as Malzahn does to run.
sunbeam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 02:56 AM   #10
COCKYWOOD
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 800
COCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot material

Zone read with DT doesn't work. Sorry, need a QB who can run.
COCKYWOOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 03:41 AM   #11
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by COCKYWOOD View Post
hence the reason for increased use of the I including play action this year.....so will the I go the way of the back shoulder throw that was used so much in summer practice that we failed to see against A&M, or will we spring it on an unsuspecting ECU....only time will tell.....
Old 09-03-2014, 04:38 AM   #12
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 200
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

I think what Sunbeam is wanting to have to Thompson line up in shotgun most of the time and the get the ball out quicker on short slants and outs, and skinny posts like A&M does. I think that is what he is getting at.
ReadR00ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 04:44 AM   #13
CockyLifer
Gamecocks R US MGMT

Male

CockyCash: 89095
CockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPit

Quote:
^Sadly you are correct.
THE University of SOUTH CAROLINA!

CockyLifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 04:45 AM   #14
CockyLifer
Gamecocks R US MGMT

Male

CockyCash: 89095
CockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadR00ster View Post
I think what Sunbeam is wanting to have to Thompson line up in shotgun most of the time and the get the ball out quicker on short slants and outs, and skinny posts like A&M does. I think that is what he is getting at.
With 2 backs and we would be unbeatable.
THE University of SOUTH CAROLINA!

CockyLifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 09:24 AM   #15
Cocky Doodle
Gamecock 4 Life

Male

CockyCash: 125833
Cocky Doodle is developing his combCocky Doodle is developing his combCocky Doodle is developing his combCocky Doodle is developing his combCocky Doodle is developing his combCocky Doodle is developing his combCocky Doodle is developing his combCocky Doodle is developing his comb

Quote:
Amen. Get Mitch in there for some zone read stuff. Otherwise - get in the freaking I formation if you want to run.
Old 09-03-2014, 09:37 AM   #16
sunbeam
4-Star

Male

sunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadR00ster View Post
Nah, I was talking generically. About offenses in general.

Look... Dylan is likeable but if you are going to play the style you describe, which is pretty much the air raid, and what we will see Saturday.

Above all you have to be accurate. It just plain doesn't work if you aren't.

In a Leach system you can take a six foot tall guy no one wanted, a guy without a rocket arm, and he can put up statistics Andrew Luck could only have dreamed of.

But you have to be accurate in that system.

Other systems you don't have to be so accurate. Tebow had excellent passing numbers, but the nature of that offense meant he got easier throws to make.

I was hoping Thompson would be more accurate this year. Calm down, quit throwing the ball high. He's made some accurate passes, so I was hoping.

But while he doesn't have a lot of starts, this is his 5th year. I'm not sure he can improve. And if he doesn't, then you need to put in someone else who might be able to make those throws. And while it wouldn't bug me to see Orth get a shot, that would probably be Mitch.

Or you could change up and play like you had Shaw still with Nosovitch. Heck totally embrace the spread and play like Malzahn or RichRod are calling plays. I think this would be the strongest option.

But barring a bad injury or two, or a total offensive collapse I don't think we see that.
sunbeam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 09:39 AM   #17
conwaycock2
Two Deep

Male

conwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot material

With very few exceptions our offense has been mediocre without a mobile QB over the past 10 yrs. The latter part of 2006 with Blake is about the only time I can recall the offense operating at a high level with a straight drop back guy.

New day, new time. We absolutely must have a mobile QB imo. History with Spurrier at USC says it's true.
conwaycock2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 09:42 AM   #18
PageUSC
Recruiting60%-Coaching40%

Male

CockyCash: 987375
PageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot material

We do. We're in a spread formation about 90% of the time. 3-4 WRs, TE, RB.

I'm assuming you're asking why we don't run an up tempo style offense
Old 09-03-2014, 09:43 AM   #19
kabercr2
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 200
kabercr2 is sharpening his clawskabercr2 is sharpening his clawskabercr2 is sharpening his clawskabercr2 is sharpening his clawskabercr2 is sharpening his claws

Steve Spurrier's offese is fine especially when we get in the I and run and then play action off the run. Trying to have Dylan Thompson throw the ball 40 times a game will not work because he's just not that type of QB. This team wins when they play keep away.
kabercr2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 09:46 AM   #20
Ahmad
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 726
Ahmad rules the CockPitAhmad rules the CockPitAhmad rules the CockPitAhmad rules the CockPitAhmad rules the CockPitAhmad rules the CockPitAhmad rules the CockPitAhmad rules the CockPitAhmad rules the CockPitAhmad rules the CockPitAhmad rules the CockPit

I would like to see more 2 TE formations.