CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
Garnetnblack99
kingoftheroost
CockyLifer
b381l
Regalcock
Cockhornleghorn
ZenUSC
peterlemon
roosterdude21
2014 Junkanoo Jam ** (2550)
Morris to SMU (2092)
BIG PROBLEM! JUST RE (1324)
Carolina on a Walmar (764)
Game simulation (588)
Penniless: Creed's S (359)
Strategy First Steam (275)
Clemson fans (261)
Origin Sale Too (174)
Chad Morris new HC a (152)
Morris to SMU
Coaching Carousel 2014/15
2017 - Savales Cann
Have we been favored in e
2015 Commitment - Arden K
Kerbal Space Program Game
Clemson fans
Carolina on a Walmart com
BIG PROBLEM! JUST REALIZE
**USC vs. UNC-Asheville G

Old 09-03-2014, 07:40 AM   #21
The'Boose2001
The Watchman

Male

CockyCash: 400
The'Boose2001 has hatched from the shell
Send a message via Yahoo to The'Boose2001 Send a message via Skype™ to The'Boose2001
Default Re: Over reacting?

We're still rather optimistic about the season left in front of us. We're 1 game in. It's not the end by far. 11 more to go with a .500 or less record, then you can begin waving the caution flag. Our defense is young (but very talented), they're taking their lumps right now. It's soon to be over, just hang in there.
The'Boose2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 07:47 AM   #22
Wkrice91
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 500
Wkrice91 is crowing loudlyWkrice91 is crowing loudlyWkrice91 is crowing loudlyWkrice91 is crowing loudlyWkrice91 is crowing loudlyWkrice91 is crowing loudlyWkrice91 is crowing loudlyWkrice91 is crowing loudlyWkrice91 is crowing loudlyWkrice91 is crowing loudlyWkrice91 is crowing loudly

Well, I can't speak for everyone here, but all year leading up to this game I paid a lot of attention to the press. I was so hyped about the possibility that this could be THE year. Naturally, when the first game turns out like this, one feels disappointed.

However, this is evident of the culture change around here. We have a certain level of expectation when it comes to this program, unlike a number of years ago.

I would say that we reacted the same as a fan of any other team that has these same expectations. I simply hope that our players react.
Wkrice91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 08:20 AM   #23
ScottK
Blue Chip

Male

ScottK is developing his combScottK is developing his combScottK is developing his combScottK is developing his combScottK is developing his combScottK is developing his combScottK is developing his combScottK is developing his combScottK is developing his combScottK is developing his comb
Default Over reacting?

I would agree if the defense was just getting beat out there. That happens sometimes.

The fact that the defense actually just looked lost and was CONSISTENTLY getting beat on the exact same type of plays repeatedly is what makes me worried.

I don't think A&M is going to do that to everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ScottK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 08:54 AM   #24
UScott
Walk On

Male

UScott has hatched from the shell

What concerns me is the coaches should have learned from last year. You practice soft you are going to play soft. Nobody on the D knows how to tackle because they don't practice it. Spurrier said it himself a few weeks ago that they were not hitting in practice, and I cringed. Yeah we don't want to get players hurt by our own teammates, but it's just part of the game if you want to be GREAT. If we don't learn to tackle and take good angles to the ball and corner backs learn to man up on someone the dogs are going to score a 100 points.
UScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 11:43 AM   #25
usc90grad
Cum Laude Cock

Male

CockyCash: 840000
usc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to usc90grad

A&M is better then people think they are...which is ironic when you look at the great recruiting classes they've been having.

But our defense was putrid and made good players for A&M look like Heisman candidates.
Old 09-03-2014, 12:01 PM   #26
wincocks84
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 450
wincocks84 is making other chickens nervouswincocks84 is making other chickens nervouswincocks84 is making other chickens nervouswincocks84 is making other chickens nervouswincocks84 is making other chickens nervouswincocks84 is making other chickens nervouswincocks84 is making other chickens nervous

In don't think most fans are overreacting, I think the majority of us are worried. And rightfully so. That Defense was completely lost. When ECU comes to town they will have upset on the mind. The crowd will be lame as well, so I hope the coaches can get these guys focused and ready. Dylan and Davis/wilds will probably have to win this game.
wincocks84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 12:12 PM   #27
MrED
Recruit

Male

MrED has earned his spursMrED has earned his spursMrED has earned his spursMrED has earned his spursMrED has earned his spursMrED has earned his spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincocks84 View Post
In don't think most fans are overreacting, I think the majority of us are worried. And rightfully so. That Defense was completely lost. When ECU comes to town they will have upset on the mind. The crowd will be lame as well, so I hope the coaches can get these guys focused and ready. Dylan and Davis/wilds will probably have to win this game.
I watched ECU game last weekend and we'll be fine. They are not TAMU.

But, while I think this defense is better than they showed we still have issues that I don't believe will go away. As bad as the defense looked we need to step it up offensively and pick up the slack. The defense has propped the offense up for years now and its time they returned the favor.
MrED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 12:40 PM   #28
jrussjr
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 665832
jrussjr is USC mascot materialjrussjr is USC mascot materialjrussjr is USC mascot materialjrussjr is USC mascot materialjrussjr is USC mascot materialjrussjr is USC mascot materialjrussjr is USC mascot materialjrussjr is USC mascot materialjrussjr is USC mascot materialjrussjr is USC mascot materialjrussjr is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrED View Post
I watched ECU game last weekend and we'll be fine. They are not TAMU.

But, while I think this defense is better than they showed we still have issues that I don't believe will go away. As bad as the defense looked we need to step it up offensively and pick up the slack. The defense has propped the offense up for years now and its time they returned the favor.
So the last couple years against that high powered offense of Pickens County Tech, our offense was propped up by our defense controlling the tempo of the game with a "ball control" offensive scheme??? I guess that is just one of several cases of our vaunted Defense using a ball control offensive game plan to prop up our seemingly inept offense over the past few seasons?
jrussjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 12:51 PM   #29
yazoo
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1813
yazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by usc90grad View Post
A&M is better then people think they are...which is ironic when you look at the great recruiting classes they've been having.

But our defense was putrid and made good players for A&M look like Heisman candidates.
I am inclined to believe Ricky Seals-Jones is very, very good. That dude will be a handful for any defensive backfield. He reminded me of Alshon.

Their other receivers and play makers also were good.

Their line was as good as advertised. (They were ranked 2d in SEC preseason).

We have a young secondary. Our DL lost three people to the NFL.

Growing pains. Matchup problems. Execution not great due to it being a first game.
Old 09-03-2014, 01:53 PM   #30
OldPat
Blue Chip

Male

OldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by zcoop View Post
Are some folks over reacting....

Depends on whether or not you consider premature ejaculation an overreaction.

But if I were a lady, I'd thank you for the compliment and send you on your merry way.

Since The Yancey has some expertise in this area, I wonder if we could prevail upon him to give our noobs & trolls a lesson or two in self control? I'm certain their sig others & our team would appreciate it. LOL. How about it Yance??
OldPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 03:07 PM   #31
LegalCock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1500
LegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot material

Could be, we'll know in a few weeks. Sumlin sure did put up some points on us in that bowl game versus houston and the talent gap was in our favor bigtime back then. The way to beat them is probably to ball control run it and get a stop or two in the redzone.
LegalCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 03:17 PM   #32
sc455
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 23088816
sc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot material

They were good and we aren't as adverstised..in our last few years of fb we have had a great record because of..
clowney
quarles
shaw
taylor
lattimore
ingram
Robertson
Jeffery
Gilmore
Holloman
swearinger
tj johnson
Hampton

those are just off the top of my head...we don't have those athletes on this team...the well has run dry.
sc455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 03:20 PM   #33
18IsTheMan
Banned

Male

18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs

Yeah, probably. Fan = fanatic. Fanatics overreact.

It's not the duty or responsibility of fans to be rationale and level-headed. That's the job of the coaching staff.
18IsTheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 03:27 PM   #34
Coondog
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 200
Coondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot material

Of course people are over reacting, that's what fans do.

The truth is that we are not as bad of a team that we looked and A&M may or may not be as good as we made them look. We won't know the answers to that for a couple more weeks. We do however have some serious issues on defense that need to be addressed if we are going to stand a chance.
Coondog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 04:57 PM   #35
qcgamecock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

qcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnet_black215 View Post
Much better team in 2012.

And no, people aren't overreacting. The reactions to what we saw Thursday and may see Saturday are and will be warranted.
He is talking about the jawja team genius and it remains to be seen if 2012 was a much better team, the same one that was blown out by flawda 44-11 and went on to rip off 5 straight but you take your ball and go home while the rest of us keep our heads up and keep believing!
qcgamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 05:03 PM   #36
qcgamecock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

qcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc455 View Post
They were good and we aren't as adverstised..in our last few years of fb we have had a great record because of..
clowney
quarles
shaw
taylor
lattimore
ingram
Robertson
Jeffery
Gilmore
Holloman
swearinger
tj johnson
Hampton

those are just off the top of my head...we don't have those athletes on this team...the well has run dry.
What a fairweather fan you are, Thompson, Davis, Moore, Gurley, Harris Jr, Williams, Buster.....the well is far from dry and the season far from over so take the doom and gloom to the new team you are pulling for and peace out!
Old 09-03-2014, 05:06 PM   #37
qcgamecock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincocks84 View Post
As much as the football team has done in the last 3 years, no excuse for lame fans as no excuse for the defense! We are GAMECOCK nation and we will be loud this Saturday the Brice will ROCK!
Old 09-03-2014, 05:09 PM   #38
Yearofthegamecock
Game MVP

Male

Yearofthegamecock is USC mascot materialYearofthegamecock is USC mascot materialYearofthegamecock is USC mascot materialYearofthegamecock is USC mascot materialYearofthegamecock is USC mascot materialYearofthegamecock is USC mascot materialYearofthegamecock is USC mascot materialYearofthegamecock is USC mascot materialYearofthegamecock is USC mascot materialYearofthegamecock is USC mascot materialYearofthegamecock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by zcoop View Post
Are some folks over reacting after the butt whipping we took last week? Could it be that we ran into a team that just played lights out? I think so.

Sometimes a team runs into a situation like this one where the team youíre playing canít and doesnít do anything wrong. Theyíre just clicking on all cylinders and ainít a damn thing you can do about it. Iím sure those of you whoíve played sports have experienced this Phenom.

I have faith that the coaches can get these kids to have a short memory and get back on the horse. Shit happens sometimes.
Did you watch the game? I don't think aTm played lights out. We simply did not challenge them! They marched down field at will the entire night. So no, I don't believe most of us are over reacting. Just reacting to a defense that is looks nothing like we have grown used to. Now the fire everybody crowd, yeah, they're over reacting
Yearofthegamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 05:43 PM   #39
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1220
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

I don't see reason to be optimistic right now, but I still have hope for the season. And am praying for a miracle turn around. If I am right and we have a bad season, Gamecock Nation will survive. We've survived worse. If I am wrong it will be an epic turn around for the ages.

Either way the only reacting I care about is the team's reaction. Hopefully they able to pull themselves up by the bootstraps. Still need to be prepared as fans that they possibly might not be able to do that. Fingers crossed.
ReadR00ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 07:19 PM   #40
qcgamecock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadR00ster View Post
I don't see reason to be optimistic right now, but I still have hope for the season. And am praying for a miracle turn around. If I am right and we have a bad season, Gamecock Nation will survive. We've survived worse. If I am wrong it will be an epic turn around for the ages.

Either way the only reacting I care about is the team's reaction. Hopefully they able to pull themselves up by the bootstraps. Still need to be prepared as fans that they possibly might not be able to do that. Fingers crossed.
I can tell you we did not get here by preparing to lose, expecting to lose or playing like we did the other night. We prepare to win, expect to win and believe the players and coaches will do the same thing each and every week, we have a tough game against ECU to prepare for and a season turning game the week after that and so forth and so on.... We had players in position to make plays last week, we missed big tackles, dropped big catches, overthrew a few big passes, just missed swatting the ball or intercepting a pass but did not make the play... I think a week of full speed competitive practice with the coaches and experience players will be a major difference in the attitude of players next week, the not being tentative, physical playing in your face defense we are used to seeing.