CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
ucan'tlickourcocks
b381l
ReadR00ster
cocksmith1or11
Gamecocks1137
Badazcock
Gamecockswag
Regalcock
The Yancey
conwaycock2
ESPN Game Day Commen (1329)
Simple "yes&quo (1190)
**USC vs. Auburn GAM (1001)
Phil Steele just pre (874)
The Comeback & T (747)
TeMarcus Blanton (551)
NCAAF: SOUTH CAROLIN (545)
Garcia: Change the R (510)
Bashing Players, coa (465)
Wallpaper & Back (235)
Garcia: Change the Rules
Simple "yes" or
**USC vs. Auburn GAME Thr
Best place to watch the g
Miss St vs. Kentucky
Remember, SEC is weird
Phil Steele just predicte
Where in Seattle
Discussion: 2015 Recruiti
2015 Commitment - Sherrod

Old 09-03-2014, 05:38 PM   #1
lauderdalecock
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 480
lauderdalecock is developing his comblauderdalecock is developing his comblauderdalecock is developing his comblauderdalecock is developing his comblauderdalecock is developing his comblauderdalecock is developing his comblauderdalecock is developing his comblauderdalecock is developing his comblauderdalecock is developing his comb
Default Say a prayer for a loyal Gamecock, Dick Bernish

Tomorrow morning a Carolina Grad and one of the most loyal Gamecocks I know is undergoing brain surgery to remove two tumors in his brain.

I spoke to him this morning and he gave me a quick breakdown on how the medical part of his weekend should go and quickly changed the subject to Carolina football and everything we all have discussed over and over this week. He did mention that he didn't think ESPNU would be available in the ICU which is where he hopes to be Saturday night.

Back in 1984 the now defunct Sport Magazine wrote what he thought would be an article on our season. Instead it was written about going to a Carolina game with Dick. The first paragraph is timeless about what we do.

Attached and enjoy. Dick we need you back!
lauderdalecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 06:07 PM   #2
lauderdalecock
Recruit

Male

lauderdalecock is developing his comblauderdalecock is developing his comblauderdalecock is developing his comblauderdalecock is developing his comblauderdalecock is developing his comblauderdalecock is developing his comblauderdalecock is developing his comblauderdalecock is developing his comblauderdalecock is developing his comb
Default Re: Say a prayer for a loyal Gamecock, Dick Bernish

Sorry here is the article.

Nothing could be finer.
by Glen Waggoner

Fingers so coated in fried chicken grease that they can barely grip the third cold Bud of a humid South Carolina morning, teeth overcast and brain partly cloudy from the night before, I lean against Limo One and ponder the pageant unfolding around me.

"Come on down to Carolina and we'll show you what college football is all about," Dick Bernish had said. "I guarantee we'll have a good time."

What better moment to visit Gamecock country? The 'Cocks are 8-0 right now, their best season ever, by far. Bowl scouts are crawling all over Columbia, coach Joe Morrison has every-one believing his squad's No. 5 ranking in the polls is about four notches too low and the sellout crowds at USC's Williams-Brice Stadium seem fated to bring down the deck with their full-throated cheering ("If it ain't swayin, the 'Cocks ain't playin' ").

Carolina, here I am.

If ever you need a guide to good times or college football—make that Carolina football—Dick Bernish is the guy to call.

The University of South Carolina has no stronger supporter than this 41-year-old businessman from north of the border in Charlotte, a man who joined USC's alumni booster organization two years before he graduated. His annual $2,500 contribution to the Gamecock Club gives Bernish elite status among Carolina football supporters: a listing in the football program as a "Silver Spur" (the top contributor category); the right to spend $1,000 on game tickets each year to give to friends; and prime spots in the Silver Spur parking lot for Limos One and Two, the two fully equipped Cadillac limousines he owns for the express purpose of bringing those friends to games.

"Let's see, I may have missed six or seven games—home and away—since 1966," he muses, but that's only part of it. Once, he was part owner of a student hangout in town where Gamecock athletes could do their beer-drinking and stay out of trouble. In earlier days, he would show recruits around campus, and employ his considerable personal magnetism in direct service of the Gamecocks. Dick doesn't recruit athletes anymore because, he confides, "They don't want me to," and he won't do anything that might hurt his Gamecocks. "I know there's no cheatin' going on he says, "because if there was, I'd be doin' it."

Today, game day, began the afternoon 1 before at Sundries, a neighborhood bar in Charlotte where the first of many cold ones helped while away the hours until it was time to pick up the other passengers booked aboard Limo One for the weekend.

"Normally, Lee B. would be right behind us in Limo Two;' Bernish explains, "but he'll be coming down tomorrow with the chicken!" At the halfway point of our journey we make an obligatory stop at the "Talking Tree;' a freeway service stop without services, where habit and circumstance, not to mention the day's beers, prompt a brief communion with nature. Then back in the car, more beers, as Limo One heads south.

"We'll just pop in at the Blythewood Golf and Country Club for a minute;' Dick says, as he eases off onto the exit ramp. Makes sense. Cocktails at the club. Except that Blythewood is a down-at-the-heels country crossroads that's never been blythe, and the Golf and Country Club is a Gulf station and country store, specializing in beer, cigarettes and staples, Franklin Hagood, Prop.

We stop for gas (the tank is three-quarters full), a beer (the coolers in the back seat and trunk are full) and 10 minutes of chewing the fat with Mr. Hagood. Dick always stops there, going and coming, on Carolina football weekends. "You don't let associations like that just drift away," he says.

Half an hour later at our motel, a spontaneous parking-lot party erupts, then shifts from cocktails to dinner and finally to Don's, a hole-in-the-wall beer joint, once a hot student hangout in Dick's college days, now gone to seed.

"C'mon, let's go to somewhere else;' someone says just after midnight, "we want to see everything!' "But ... Dick's voice is that of a patient older brother`this is everything."

Somehow it gets to be 8:15 A.M. on Saturday, and I'm being given the "$10 hysterical tour" of the Carolina campus. Dick and I are the only souls about on the Horseshoe, a group of beautiful, nineteenth-century buildings built around a long, rectangular courtyard that is encircled by a brick walkway. "The place just gets inside you. Once you're here, you never really leave, no matter where you go?'

Kickoff is at 1:30, but Game Time is at 11. That's when we rally around Limo One, crack the first Buds of the day, start to work on the chicken and get our game faces on. The parking lot fills up, tables start to groan with tailgate spreads worthy of Henry VIII, and splendidly coiffed women stroll around with jaunty garnet-and-black ribbons saying "Go 'Cocks!" pinned over their hearts.

Now's the time for serious football talk: I want to be in Jacksonville for the Gator Bowl ...You suppose Joe will keep runnin' everybody in?... That Lewis boy is coming on strong ...You damned well know Tennessee cheats, but the NCAA won't do anything ...I heard that a scout said that Hillary could go in the first round... Clemson, too, if you ask me...Hey, Dick, remember the time you and some old boys hired that moving van to go around to Dietzel's house ...Yes, I do. Paul didn't seem to be getting the message that we were weary of his brand of football... How 'bout one more?... What time you got?

Too bad. We have to go in and watch a football game.
Old 09-03-2014, 08:43 PM   #3
The Yancey
Grumpy Old Fart

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 
CockyCash: 4751350
The Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot material

Sounds like someone I would enjoy.

Order Of The Spur
The Yancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 09:24 PM   #4
Clowneygotcha
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 200
Clowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot material

Prayers sent, and I am bumping this thread, more need to see it.
Old 09-03-2014, 10:05 PM   #5
lauderdalecock
Recruit

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauderdalecock View Post
Tomorrow morning a Carolina Grad and one of the most loyal Gamecocks I know is undergoing brain surgery to remove two tumors in his brain.

I spoke to him this morning and he gave me a quick breakdown on how the medical part of his weekend should go and quickly changed the subject to Carolina football and everything we all have discussed over and over this week. He did mention that he didn't think ESPNU would be available in the ICU which is where he hopes to be Saturday night.

Back in 1984 the now defunct Sport Magazine wrote what he thought would be an article on our season. Instead it was written about going to a Carolina game with Dick. The first paragraph is timeless about what we do.

Attached and enjoy. Dick we need you back!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yancey View Post
Sounds like someone I would enjoy.
Oh you would. Back in the day the party was always at Limo 1 (or 2 or both), parked up against the State paper building. At Gainesville in 2010, he got us a parking pass at the Catholic Church across from the stadium. You had to be there on game day before 7 am, first come, first serve for a handful of spaces When our group pulled in Dick was welcomed as a rock star by the Gators and Gamecocks who waited in line with him as the sun came up. Got them all drinking beer, and getting pumped for football on the wait. Just that kinda guy.
Old 09-03-2014, 10:10 PM   #6
cockybusiness2
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 461300
cockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot material

Prayers sent... hope all goes well
cockybusiness2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 10:13 PM   #7
NinjaSven
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 515
NinjaSven is crowing loudlyNinjaSven is crowing loudlyNinjaSven is crowing loudlyNinjaSven is crowing loudlyNinjaSven is crowing loudlyNinjaSven is crowing loudlyNinjaSven is crowing loudlyNinjaSven is crowing loudlyNinjaSven is crowing loudlyNinjaSven is crowing loudlyNinjaSven is crowing loudly

I don't know the guy, but my thoughts and heart are with him, as well as the family. Gamecocks unite!!
Old 09-03-2014, 11:21 PM   #8
doccock
Super Doc

Male

CockyCash: 500
doccock rules the CockPitdoccock rules the CockPitdoccock rules the CockPitdoccock rules the CockPitdoccock rules the CockPitdoccock rules the CockPitdoccock rules the CockPitdoccock rules the CockPitdoccock rules the CockPitdoccock rules the CockPitdoccock rules the CockPit

Prayers to him and his family.

If they can get him internet access he can try to get WatchESPN on laptop or tablet.

doc
Old 09-04-2014, 12:16 PM   #9
lauderdalecock
Recruit

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by doccock View Post
Prayers to him and his family.

If they can get him internet access he can try to get WatchESPN on laptop or tablet.

doc
It is good to have a doctor that understands. We kid about this, but really I know he would watch if he could watch Saturday, although if we play like last week I would cut the signal. Not healthy for anyone, much less after brain surgery.
Thanks to all should know something soon.
Old 09-04-2014, 03:43 PM   #10
COCKYWOOD
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 800
COCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot material

Prayers sent. Sounds like a great guy.
COCKYWOOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 05:30 PM   #11
lauderdalecock
Recruit

Male

Well Dick made it through the surgery without complications and both tumors removed. No other word yet so far so good.
Thanks for the prayers.
Old 09-04-2014, 05:33 PM   #12
The Yancey
Grumpy Old Fart

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 
CockyCash: 4751350
The Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauderdalecock View Post
Well Dick made it through the surgery without complications and both tumors removed. No other word yet so far so good.
Thanks for the prayers.
Glad to hear it!

Order Of The Spur
The Yancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 05:39 PM   #13
CockyATO
Flipping Recruits

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
CockyATO has developed his gaff and talonsCockyATO has developed his gaff and talonsCockyATO has developed his gaff and talonsCockyATO has developed his gaff and talonsCockyATO has developed his gaff and talonsCockyATO has developed his gaff and talonsCockyATO has developed his gaff and talonsCockyATO has developed his gaff and talonsCockyATO has developed his gaff and talonsCockyATO has developed his gaff and talonsCockyATO has developed his gaff and talons

Get well, Dick!!

Another N00k production
CockyATO is offline   Reply With Quote