CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Badazcock
SC Sandlapper
B-G
Cockflame1701
Coulwoodwarlord
CockyBoy09
ultimatetailgater
Gamecocks1137
markymark550
Outland
Why is everyone anti (2404)
Busta out indefinite (1448)
How did we not make (1365)
Miss St. defense (1131)
Lorenzo Nunez (1122)
SOS says his next st (1111)
Our Road Upset Wins (988)
Let us clarify some (740)
No easy road for our (481)
Roll call for Auburn (468)
World of Warcraft, CSGO,
Our Road Upset Wins
Michael Sams done in Dall
Miss St. defense
To ANYONE complaining abo
CBSSports SEC prediction
SOS says his next stop is
2015 Chris Silva PF (6-9,
2016 - Issac Nauta
SI scoring projections

Old 09-03-2014, 04:21 PM   #61
JohnnyB21
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 1050
JohnnyB21 is USC mascot materialJohnnyB21 is USC mascot materialJohnnyB21 is USC mascot materialJohnnyB21 is USC mascot materialJohnnyB21 is USC mascot materialJohnnyB21 is USC mascot materialJohnnyB21 is USC mascot materialJohnnyB21 is USC mascot materialJohnnyB21 is USC mascot materialJohnnyB21 is USC mascot materialJohnnyB21 is USC mascot material
Default Re: Hey, Cocks, tell me about your defense

Yeeaaaaahhhh.... We still had 366 yards and 4 TD's through the air. That performance could have beat most teams if we had a defense that wasn't made of all new players. And we had that against A&M. ECU COULD beat us, but I think our offense will have a great day.

34-17 29-7 34-13 27-17 31-17

Coming for #6 next season!!!

154-71 in past 5 seasons against Clemson.
JohnnyB21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 04:29 PM   #62
GamecockUltimate
BIGGER. STRONGER.LONGER

Male

CockyCash: 219000
GamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggie96 View Post
Come on OP.. Enlighten us on who this unheard of monster is.

Do you also have a Speedy Noil, Malcolm Kennedy, and Kenny Hill? Maybe have a Myles Garrett somewhere hidden on your D too? How about a CB like Armani Watts that will bust a receiver's ass when he comes across the middle?

Look guy, good luck and I hope you don't get embarrassed, but you do realize this is still an SEC team you are facing that had 11 wins each of the last 3 years.
Sadly your thug qb is out for this next game vs nobody state....coincidence

for willy
GamecockUltimate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 04:30 PM   #63
RaleighPirate
Walk On

Male

CockyCash: 500
RaleighPirate is learning to peckRaleighPirate is learning to peck

Quote:
Yeeaaaaahhhh.... We still had 366 yards and 4 TD's through the air. That performance could have beat most teams if we had a defense that wasn't made of all new players. And we had that against A&M. ECU COULD beat us, but I think our offense will have a great day
Dude yall could throw for 600 against us or 200. Any ECU fan who can tell you that answer is full of crap. We've got kids in the backfield who took their first snaps last week. Totally unproven secondary on our part. The good part for us is they look to be far more energetic than the last group......bad news is our last group leaked like a sieve and they were their backups.
RaleighPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 04:40 PM   #64
75CarolinaFan
Gatorade Poster of d Year

Male

CockyCash: 100200
75CarolinaFan is USC mascot material75CarolinaFan is USC mascot material75CarolinaFan is USC mascot material75CarolinaFan is USC mascot material75CarolinaFan is USC mascot material75CarolinaFan is USC mascot material75CarolinaFan is USC mascot material75CarolinaFan is USC mascot material75CarolinaFan is USC mascot material75CarolinaFan is USC mascot material75CarolinaFan is USC mascot material

Right now our defense is offensive.

75CarolinaFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 04:44 PM   #65
uscjd2004
The Voice of Reason

Male

CockyCash: 2200
uscjd2004 has developed his gaff and talonsuscjd2004 has developed his gaff and talonsuscjd2004 has developed his gaff and talonsuscjd2004 has developed his gaff and talonsuscjd2004 has developed his gaff and talonsuscjd2004 has developed his gaff and talonsuscjd2004 has developed his gaff and talonsuscjd2004 has developed his gaff and talonsuscjd2004 has developed his gaff and talonsuscjd2004 has developed his gaff and talonsuscjd2004 has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle76 View Post
A well-reasoned and articulated response. Thanks.
Naturally.

My last comment might be the most critical -- A&M did the Pirates no favors. The Gamecocks are embarrassed and VERY pissed off.
Old 09-03-2014, 04:45 PM   #66
makingitdrizzle
Walk On

Male

makingitdrizzle has hatched from the shell

Quote:
Originally Posted by d20636 View Post
Then why is he playing for ECU? And who is this mysterious mental wet dream of yours?
Hardy will have close to 400 catches by year end. He would likely start at USC or A&M. You will see more than you want to of him Saturday...
makingitdrizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 04:46 PM   #67
RaleighPirate
Walk On

Male

Quote:
Then why is he playing for ECU? And who is this mysterious mental wet dream of yours?
Chris Johnson and dwayne harris were awful at ECU too. Pound that chest for the offensive talent ATM has put out lately. Manziel will be a broken shell of a crybaby by week 10. I'm betting he ends up Ryan Leaf style. Mike Evans is a stud but seriously I don't see the offensive factory of ATM pushing out wr's or rb's into the nfl so keep it down over there.
Old 09-03-2014, 04:50 PM   #68
uscjd2004
The Voice of Reason

Male

CockyCash: 2200
uscjd2004 has developed his gaff and talonsuscjd2004 has developed his gaff and talonsuscjd2004 has developed his gaff and talonsuscjd2004 has developed his gaff and talonsuscjd2004 has developed his gaff and talonsuscjd2004 has developed his gaff and talonsuscjd2004 has developed his gaff and talonsuscjd2004 has developed his gaff and talonsuscjd2004 has developed his gaff and talonsuscjd2004 has developed his gaff and talonsuscjd2004 has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
Originally Posted by makingitdrizzle View Post
Hardy will have close to 400 catches by year end. He would likely start at USC or A&M. You will see more than you want to of him Saturday...
Agreed. Solid player. Barring a shocking improvement in the performance of the mostly green Gamecock secondary, Hardy probably gets 100 and a score or two.
Old 09-03-2014, 05:00 PM   #69
GarnetSwarm1990
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 738
GarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighPirate View Post
Dude yall could throw for 600 against us or 200. Any ECU fan who can tell you that answer is full of crap. We've got kids in the backfield who took their first snaps last week. Totally unproven secondary on our part. The good part for us is they look to be far more energetic than the last group......bad news is our last group leaked like a sieve and they were their backups.
As do we.
GarnetSwarm1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 05:03 PM   #70
RaleighPirate
Walk On

Male

Quote:
As do we.
Well atleast they got to see this system in action. Our kids saw our local community college who averaged 5 yards a throw.
Old 09-03-2014, 05:35 PM   #71
cockyguitar
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 100500
cockyguitar is crowing loudlycockyguitar is crowing loudlycockyguitar is crowing loudlycockyguitar is crowing loudlycockyguitar is crowing loudlycockyguitar is crowing loudlycockyguitar is crowing loudlycockyguitar is crowing loudlycockyguitar is crowing loudlycockyguitar is crowing loudlycockyguitar is crowing loudly

The fact is A&M is good, and we were shell shocked. They hit us hard from the start and didn't let up so therefore we couldn't recover. I think we'll be better prepared for this game as you can't overlook any team. A&M is gonna be a force this year. That being said ECU isn't A&M and not even close, so it won't be a repeat of that game.
cockyguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 05:35 PM   #72
ABATTBQ11
Recruit

Male

ABATTBQ11 is learning to peckABATTBQ11 is learning to peck

Quote:
When middle school lets out do you still have access to a computer?
You guys seem to think you're going to walk in and do the same thing that we did just because you run a spread system kind of like ours and beat up on some mid majors last year. The problem is, you don't run your offense with the talent we do. We have physical freaks as receivers. Our most effective receivers last Thursday, who had the highest per catch yardage (minimum 4 catches), were Pope, Seals Jones, Reynolds, and Noil. The first three are all 6'-4" or taller, with Seals Jones at 6'-6". Noil is a legitimate 4.4 40 athlete with a sub 3.9 shuttle and 44" vertical leap. We have 3-4 other guys who are 6'-4"+ who didn't see playing time, as well as a few other speedsters who are admittedly not as fast as Noil.

It's hard to match up a DB with guys like this because most DB's are between 5'-11" and 6'-1", and it's hard for most guys to cover someone 3-5" taller than they are who is going to have a larger wingspan as well. When you are trying to cover someone like Seals Jones, who is 6'-6" 235 and pretty quick, it's hard to also cover a Pope and Reynolds and Noil or a Clear (6'-6" and 277) at the same time. The offensive schemes we run have a lot to do with our success, but they're designed around the guys on the field.

No offense, but you guys simply don't have the receivers we do. They're not as tall and not as fast, and that's important. For instance, on our third TD, SC had pretty good coverage, but Edward Pope was simply too long for the DB to cover. He had what should have been good position, but Pope was able to extend just a little bit further and make a grab just out of his reach. If Pope was 6'-1" he would not have made the catch.

Your list may not be ****ty, but it's also not a group that can't be physically matched by most secondaries. You can try to exploit the younger corners, but I don't see you getting the near constant 5-10 yard plays that we were. SC's defense is much better than they appear to be, and much better than a lot of SC fans on here would believe. They are still very physical and very capable, if a little inexperienced. IMO, they will have a very good team in two years and I hope we still have some of these guys around the next time we come to Williams Brice. I just don't see you guys getting by USC.

Sorry if I sounded like an a-hole. I apologize
ABATTBQ11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 05:56 PM   #73
c0ckkn0cker
Walk On

Male

c0ckkn0cker has hatched from the shell

haha this board has gotten so salty lately with visitors asking innocuous questions backed by fairly objective observations. The word "classy" gets thrown around here all the time (not a fan of its usage btw) but it seems some are lacking that around here.
c0ckkn0cker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 07:27 PM   #74
ZenUSC
Two Deep

Male

ZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPit

Quote:
Pirate fan here. I was as shocked as many of you to see TAMU shred your defense last Thursday night. I think the outcome of our game will hinge on whether or not we put up 30+ points against you because our defense, though better than the one you saw last time we were down there, is also capable of giving up a lot of points (see Marshall game last season). So, how much of Thursday's debacle is due to a) personnel losses; b) bad scheme; c) poor coaching; d) poor effort; or e) just an unexplainable bad performance? I know there were some losses in addition to Clowney. Are the new guys that inexperienced? No offense, but the defense looked pretty lost out there, in addition to poor tackling. Were these issues to result of being totally surprised by a TAMU offense that seemed not to skip a beat without Johnny Football, or are they more fundamental than that?
We don't know what was the prob with our defense yet. We're kinda stunned. I was in downtown in Columbia today. People are walking around in a waddle with their arms out in front of them palms down and fish looking eyes.
ZenUSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 08:38 PM   #75
mick66
Starter

Male

mick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPit

Quote:
Pirate fan here. I was as shocked as many of you to see TAMU shred your defense last Thursday night. I think the outcome of our game will hinge on whether or not we put up 30+ points against you because our defense, though better than the one you saw last time we were down there, is also capable of giving up a lot of points (see Marshall game last season). So, how much of Thursday's debacle is due to a) personnel losses; b) bad scheme; c) poor coaching; d) poor effort; or e) just an unexplainable bad performance? I know there were some losses in addition to Clowney. Are the new guys that inexperienced? No offense, but the defense looked pretty lost out there, in addition to poor tackling. Were these issues to result of being totally surprised by a TAMU offense that seemed not to skip a beat without Johnny Football, or are they more fundamental than that?
The guy asked some reasonable questions, so don't understand why some feel compelled to lash out.
Our D was bad, based partly on a terrible gameplan which was made worse by poor execution. I doubt that will happen 2 weeks in a row, in large part because Ward is pretty good and Spurrier is ticked. In addition, our suspect D was made worse by Spurrier abandoning our run game in favor of chunking it all over the field. I think you'll see lots of Davis, Wilds, and Williams this week, resulting in limited possessions for ECU.
You'd probably be in a better situation if we'd beaten A&M, to be honest.
mick66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 08:43 PM   #76
GamecockInHell
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 3574
GamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot material

I think our biggest problem last week was that we got thoroughly outcoached, especially on defense. We were prepared for the same offense A&M ran last year and it was nothing like it. And with our young guys there was too much confusion to make adjustments.
GamecockInHell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 08:48 PM   #77
JaxcockFL
Cunning Linquist

Male

CockyCash: 104965
JaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot material

Are the pirate fans going to meet at the state house to have a midnight yell?

45 guys going "Arrrrrrgh" isn't going to be impressive.

BS aside, nice job on UNC and NCSU last year. That must have been cool to shut them up for a while.
Old 09-03-2014, 09:08 PM   #78
FanofCarolina1
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 436
FanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighPirate View Post
They won the black college national football championship in 96. If I were ATM I would avoid a powerhouse like NCCU like the plague. Us on the other hand....we have to play studs like them to get national cred.
This is obviously a good joke.

Good one!!
Old 09-03-2014, 09:24 PM   #79
USC girl
ᑕOᗰE ᗯITᕼ ᗰE ᑎOᗯ!!!!

Female

CockyCash: 85848102
USC girl is USC mascot materialUSC girl is USC mascot materialUSC girl is USC mascot materialUSC girl is USC mascot materialUSC girl is USC mascot materialUSC girl is USC mascot materialUSC girl is USC mascot materialUSC girl is USC mascot materialUSC girl is USC mascot materialUSC girl is USC mascot materialUSC girl is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxcockFL View Post
Are the pirate fans going to meet at the state house to have a midnight yell?

45 guys going "Arrrrrrgh" isn't going to be impressive.

BS aside, nice job on UNC and NCSU last year. That must have been cool to shut them up for a while.
USC girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 11:16 PM   #80
cocksmith1or11
Zone Reader

Male

CockyCash: 750
cocksmith1or11 is USC mascot materialcocksmith1or11 is USC mascot materialcocksmith1or11 is USC mascot materialcocksmith1or11 is USC mascot materialcocksmith1or11 is USC mascot materialcocksmith1or11 is USC mascot materialcocksmith1or11 is USC mascot materialcocksmith1or11 is USC mascot materialcocksmith1or11 is USC mascot materialcocksmith1or11 is USC mascot materialcocksmith1or11 is USC mascot material

Aggie96 is the new skeeter3

cocksmith1or11 is offline   Reply With Quote