CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
b381l
Regalcock
GregoryHouse
U-Dub Gamecock
gamecockgal
catdaddy66
mpilot0705
JerseyBird
crowcutta
For Discussing The C (4212)
Question about after (3137)
Drew Owens missing? (2785)
Shaq Roland (1898)
Dylan Thompson surpa (1851)
clemson game time: N (1408)
FishFry 47-yarder (885)
The Defense (636)
Mason Rudolph starti (559)
Tenn-Mizzou game (450)
THE Vent and Coaching Cha
The Defense
2014 Charleston Classic:
**USC vs. South Alabama G
Question about after the
2015 - Joe Blue
Gamecock Men Have Been Fa
Early signees?
Women's soccer Sweet 16 v
Dylan Thompson surpasses

Old 09-03-2014, 09:10 PM   #1
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material
Default This'll make you shake your head

SIAP

Kudos for GH for posting this.

Gives you a cool look at Spurrier's pass tree.

Great insight by Andre Woodson for you X's and O's junkies

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan
CoverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 09:13 PM   #2
Clowneygotcha
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 200
Clowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot material
Default Re: This'll make you shake your head

This just depresses me, is it Saturday yet?
Old 09-03-2014, 09:24 PM   #3
PSKcock
makin' da vids

Male

CockyCash: 1260
PSKcock is USC mascot materialPSKcock is USC mascot materialPSKcock is USC mascot materialPSKcock is USC mascot materialPSKcock is USC mascot materialPSKcock is USC mascot materialPSKcock is USC mascot materialPSKcock is USC mascot materialPSKcock is USC mascot materialPSKcock is USC mascot materialPSKcock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post
SIAP

Kudos for GH for posting this.

Gives you a cool look at Spurrier's pass tree.

Great insight by Andre Woodson for you X's and O's junkies

Thanks for posting this over here! This is a brand new series we're working on that I'm really excited about. Andre's knowledge of the game is nothing short of incredible.

He's going to be focusing on QB play throughout the season, but if anyone ever has ideas/suggestions, feel free to fire away!

The full series playlist is here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLUkqr9n6FXA2Mvscp9wC3dPa-mt1gJ1s
PSKcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 09:25 PM   #4
Clowneygotcha
Bowl MVP

Male

Clowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSKcock View Post
Thanks for posting this over here! This is a brand new series we're working on that I'm really excited about. Andre's knowledge of the game is nothing short of incredible.

He's going to be focusing on QB play throughout the season, but if anyone ever has ideas/suggestions, feel free to fire away!

The full series playlist is here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLUkqr9n6FXA2Mvscp9wC3dPa-mt1gJ1s
Thanks Justin but it is still too soon. After Saturday maybe I will be up for it.
Old 09-03-2014, 09:26 PM   #5
PSKcock
makin' da vids

Male

CockyCash: 1260
PSKcock is USC mascot materialPSKcock is USC mascot materialPSKcock is USC mascot materialPSKcock is USC mascot materialPSKcock is USC mascot materialPSKcock is USC mascot materialPSKcock is USC mascot materialPSKcock is USC mascot materialPSKcock is USC mascot materialPSKcock is USC mascot materialPSKcock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clowneygotcha View Post
Thanks Justin but it is still too soon. After Saturday maybe I will be up for it.

Believe me I TOTALLY understand that. Looking forward to Andre breaking down Dylan's play after a victory against UGA in two weeks.
PSKcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 09:37 PM   #6
Joe
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 500
Joe is sharpening his clawsJoe is sharpening his clawsJoe is sharpening his clawsJoe is sharpening his clawsJoe is sharpening his claws

That was really interesting to watch. Really neat to watch him go through the progressions. I hope we can block a little better on some of those pass plays to give Dylan some more confidence in the pocket. I have noticed he has a tendency to throw off his back foot or fall away from the throw at times. Never noticed he locked his leg like that. His arm is plenty strong enough though.
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 09:38 PM   #7
Diesel87
Go Carolina!

Male

Diesel87 has feathers coming inDiesel87 has feathers coming inDiesel87 has feathers coming in

Awesome video. Great to have a guy so knowledgeable breakdown the plays like that.
Diesel87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 09:56 PM   #8
NinjaSven
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 515
NinjaSven is crowing loudlyNinjaSven is crowing loudlyNinjaSven is crowing loudlyNinjaSven is crowing loudlyNinjaSven is crowing loudlyNinjaSven is crowing loudlyNinjaSven is crowing loudlyNinjaSven is crowing loudlyNinjaSven is crowing loudlyNinjaSven is crowing loudlyNinjaSven is crowing loudly

Some of you all have mentioned it, but we need to make sure DT has time to go through his motions. He keeps hurrying his throws and throwing off of his back feet.
Old 09-03-2014, 10:36 PM   #9
ultimatetailgater
Bowl MVP

Male

ultimatetailgater is USC mascot materialultimatetailgater is USC mascot materialultimatetailgater is USC mascot materialultimatetailgater is USC mascot materialultimatetailgater is USC mascot materialultimatetailgater is USC mascot materialultimatetailgater is USC mascot materialultimatetailgater is USC mascot materialultimatetailgater is USC mascot materialultimatetailgater is USC mascot materialultimatetailgater is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to ultimatetailgater

Just goes to show you that Spurrier still has it with the play calling, just need an o-line that can block an a QB who can settle his happy feet.

ultimatetailgater is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 09:08 AM   #10
garnetmike
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1001250
garnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot material

First to SDS - GREAT series and I agree Andre is perfect for this role.

Second - we have to hope and pray that our staff is breaking down these same kind of details to go over with Dylan because a fifth year QB should not be locking his leg, nor playing with "happy feet". Dylan has always tended to throw a bit high and those kind of passes turn into INTs.

Yes, the line has to block better, but in this day when 7 on 7 drills are calling a play that doesn't get out of a QBs hands in 3 seconds a "sack" WE SHOULD be able to get throws away.

That is one thing that we all saw with Kenny Hill this past Thursday. He got the ball away quickly and as a result was really rarely pressured by us.

Dylan has happy feet but so did ole Toll Edis when he played and he did alright. But Dylan does tend to throw leaning back a lot and he sometimes just chucks the ball up for grabs as well. Hopefully either he will clean up his play a bit or we can try Connor or someone else.
garnetmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 09:29 AM   #11
gamecock88
All Everything

Male

CockyCash: 997672
gamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnetmike View Post
First to SDS - GREAT series and I agree Andre is perfect for this role.

Second - we have to hope and pray that our staff is breaking down these same kind of details to go over with Dylan because a fifth year QB should not be locking his leg, nor playing with "happy feet". Dylan has always tended to throw a bit high and those kind of passes turn into INTs.

Yes, the line has to block better, but in this day when 7 on 7 drills are calling a play that doesn't get out of a QBs hands in 3 seconds a "sack" WE SHOULD be able to get throws away.

That is one thing that we all saw with Kenny Hill this past Thursday. He got the ball away quickly and as a result was really rarely pressured by us.

Dylan has happy feet but so did ole Toll Edis when he played and he did alright. But Dylan does tend to throw leaning back a lot and he sometimes just chucks the ball up for grabs as well. Hopefully either he will clean up his play a bit or we can try Connor or someone else.

I'm sure the coaches are going over this with him and he's probably reviewing film on his own, realizing his issues. The fundamentals problems have been there all along and likely not to go away in a week. Like trying to change Tebow's throwing motion, it's too ingrained at this point. We've all seen him struggle with intermediate passes since he's been here. This breakdown by SDS is awesome but painful.
gamecock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 09:38 AM   #12
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatetailgater View Post
Just goes to show you that Spurrier still has it with the play calling, just need an o-line that can block an a QB who can settle his happy feet.
I think it's funny how people say his pass routes take too much time to develop.

Obviously from this video they don't. Like I've been saying from the beginning the QBs are not making the right decisions. There were open receivers on all 4 of those plays. It shows you just how good Spurrier is at understanding coverages.

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan
CoverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 09:53 AM   #13
sunbeam
4-Star

Male

sunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
I think it's funny how people say his pass routes take too much time to develop.

Obviously from this video they don't. Like I've been saying from the beginning the QBs are not making the right decisions. There were open receivers on all 4 of those plays. It shows you just how good Spurrier is at understanding coverages.
CoverTwo if you don't mind I'd like for you to pick a game this weekend (or Thursday). Any game, really doesn't matter.

Pick a team playing that game. When the team passes, look at the play. Whether it is a completion, or incompletion, and see if there was an open guy on any of the pass plays.

I'll shut up if you tell me that ALL the receivers are covered on most of the incompletions.

But this offense has a problem with that. So how is it that A&M puts in a freshman, and ECU has a never ending stream of qb's, many with as few stars as Dylan, who put up excellent competion numbers.

If it is not the scheme, what is it exactly? And when is this scheme going to work? With the sheer number of qb's who have come through the system surely one should be able to run this thing properly.

And while A&M and ECU are both based on the Air Raid, there are other passing offenses that use pro sets that don't have the problems with the passing game we have, again without Andrew Luck.

So what is it exactly? What is the root of our offensive problems? The line?
sunbeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 10:14 AM   #14
Lalli25
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 380
Lalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot material

Quote:

It also shows you why we don't need a new OC. It was very interesting to see how they went through the progressions.
Old 09-04-2014, 10:29 AM   #15
TonyVercetti
Banned

Male

TonyVercetti is developing his combTonyVercetti is developing his combTonyVercetti is developing his combTonyVercetti is developing his combTonyVercetti is developing his combTonyVercetti is developing his combTonyVercetti is developing his combTonyVercetti is developing his combTonyVercetti is developing his combTonyVercetti is developing his comb

If the average fan could get that type of breakdown when Shaw was here they would understand why many were so frustrated with his play.

Only difference is instead of taking a chance throwing the ball hed take off for bout five yards.
TonyVercetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 10:47 AM   #16
JDStud6
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 475
JDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudly

It makes me realize how much pressure DT is under when he's out there. Connor made it look easy, but gosh that's a lot going on in just a few secs!

I know there's times I play NCAA on the PS3 and as soon as I hit X I'll see that Y was actually wide open. It's not easy lol

JD
JDStud6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 11:14 AM   #17
crowcutta
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1000
crowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot material

the deep ball to shaq there seemed to be an open receiver on the right side of the formation on that play as well. now shaq probably had a better chance of winning that 50/50 ball, but we ended up bypassing an easier throw and likely first down in both instances.
crowcutta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 11:27 AM   #18
Roosterboy
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material

As others have said, proves Spurrier still has it and knows how to destroy defenses.

Also, shows We are getting what we thought Dylan would be...inconsistent. At times he looked great, made the right read and the offense worked smoothly...at other times, made the wrong read, used poor mechanics and the offense sputtered.

As we said before the season, Dylan had to improve his consistency, and in the first game, he did not. He had some good, some bad.

The telling sign will be this week...does Dylan make improvements and limit is bad reads (they are going to happen) and increase his good reads.
1975, 1977, 1981, 1982, 1985, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012
Two-time National Champs

Roosterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 11:34 AM   #19
RoyalAir
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 400
RoyalAir is crowing loudlyRoyalAir is crowing loudlyRoyalAir is crowing loudlyRoyalAir is crowing loudlyRoyalAir is crowing loudlyRoyalAir is crowing loudlyRoyalAir is crowing loudlyRoyalAir is crowing loudlyRoyalAir is crowing loudlyRoyalAir is crowing loudlyRoyalAir is crowing loudly

Fantastic video, and I hope SDS keeps pumping these out.

What it shows, to me, was just how nervous Dylan was when the game started. Making a poor read on the third down when he went to Shaq, locking his leg and anticipating contact when it wasn't coming, etc. He settled down a bit, and was able to recognize things a little bit quicker. Still, while I know that Dylan locked his leg on the second-down play to Cooper on the first series, Cooper has to make that catch. These receivers need to help out their QB a little more when he shows nerves like that.
RoyalAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 12:42 PM   #20
appcenter52
Recruit

Male

appcenter52 has earned his spursappcenter52 has earned his spursappcenter52 has earned his spursappcenter52 has earned his spursappcenter52 has earned his spursappcenter52 has earned his spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunbeam View Post
CoverTwo if you don't mind I'd like for you to pick a game this weekend (or Thursday). Any game, really doesn't matter.

Pick a team playing that game. When the team passes, look at the play. Whether it is a completion, or incompletion, and see if there was an open guy on any of the pass plays.

I'll shut up if you tell me that ALL the receivers are covered on most of the incompletions.

But this offense has a problem with that. So how is it that A&M puts in a freshman, and ECU has a never ending stream of qb's, many with as few stars as Dylan, who put up excellent competion numbers.

If it is not the scheme, what is it exactly? And when is this scheme going to work? With the sheer number of qb's who have come through the system surely one should be able to run this thing properly.

And while A&M and ECU are both based on the Air Raid, there are other passing offenses that use pro sets that don't have the problems with the passing game we have, again without Andrew Luck.

So what is it exactly? What is the root of our offensive problems? The line?
I know its blasphemy to say this among the fans, but there is a man in charge on the offensive side of the ball, specifically qb's known as an "offensive genius." My question for all of you is to name ONE season where we all talked about the offense being the strength of the team. I mean how many times over the years have left left the stadium saying, "Man! The offense sure won us that one!" I'm not saying there are zero, but they are few and far between over the years to have a so called "offensive genius" as the head coach. Flame away...
appcenter52 is offline   Reply With Quote