CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
ucan'tlickourcocks
b381l
Gamecocks1137
ReadR00ster
cocksmith1or11
Badazcock
Gamecockswag
Regalcock
conwaycock2
FanofCarolina1
ESPN Game Day Commen (986)
Simple "yes&quo (929)
The Comeback & T (705)
**USC vs. Auburn GAM (685)
Phil Steele just pre (613)
NCAAF: SOUTH CAROLIN (483)
Bashing Players, coa (465)
TeMarcus Blanton (452)
Garcia: Change the R (400)
Wallpaper & Back (212)
ESPN Game Day Comments Re
NCAAF: SOUTH CAROLINA @ A
**USC vs. Auburn GAME Thr
2016 - Avery McCall
TeMarcus Blanton
Simple "yes" or
Phil Steele just predicte
Name a Gamecock
2015 Commitment - Lorenzo
Discussion: 2015 Recruiti

View Poll Results: How much longer will Spurrier stay
After this season 6 9.68%
2 seasons 9 14.52%
3 seasons 9 14.52%
3+ seasons 38 61.29%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-04-2014, 02:44 PM   #1
GamecockSuperFan
Run 75% of the time

Male

CockyCash: 400
GamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot material
Default Playing Devil's Advocate

I have an uncle who is close friends with Spurrier going back to his days with the Redskins. He seems to think Spurrier will only coach here 1-2 more years. I brought up Connor Mitch and the future of the program with Lorenzo Nunez, etc. and he just continued to argue with me and said theres no way coach has any intentions of being here longer than 2 more seasons. I thought it was crazy talk considering where the program is at right now. Then I started thinking. Let's just say for the sake of argument that our defense doesn't turn it around, and our offense has to scratch and claw to win us games. IF we were to let up losses to UGA, Auburn, (Mizzou or UT), Florida, and possibly Clemson, that would be 5-6 losses on the season. All of those games we could definitely lose if things continue to go south.

If the season starts to turn into a 7-5/6-6 year (Which I hope not) Do you think Spurrier will be the first to admit he's done a poor coaching job and decide that this is the year to turn it over? Or go one more season to see how it shakes out? We've recruited well but I don't see any Lattimores or Clowneys walking thru the door the next couple of seasons and honestly that's what turned this program around and brought 3 straight 11 win seasons. Getting athletes that could make the big play when you needed it and will the team to a victory. I want to see Spurrier win the SEC here as much as anyone but coaches know when they've got a team that can compete for a championship. Especially coaches that have 20+ years experience. I hope we didn't overachieve the last 3 years. If you had told me in 2005-2006 that we'd win 11 games 3 consecutive seasons and not win the SEC (let alone the division) i'd of called you crazy. But here we are.

My thoughts are if Spurrier decides to leave in the next couple of seasons, it will have not been considered a failure in any way. Winning the SEC is no easy task. A LOT of first have happened during his tenure here. Hopefully we can check some more firsts off the lists.
GamecockSuperFan is offline   Reply With Quote