CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Other Sports > The Locker Room

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
ReadR00ster
Master Bedroom
RGHoskins
taylorssc
El Cid Ranger
markymark550
Captain9Dragons
BlackMagic84
doubledribble
Fight, win, kick a-- (1324)
The Gator Bowl wants (962)
Why I'm hopeful abou (941)
CFN prediction for a (917)
USC will upset Aubur (786)
A simple defensive l (766)
What happened to thi (696)
In-state QB talent (552)
This is War (399)
SEC Debate: Best can (340)
Texas athletic director:
Why I'm hopeful about Aub
Fight, win, kick a-- addi
Why I think we beat Aubur
In-state QB talent
A simple defensive line &
Discussion: 2015 Recruiti
Thoughts on the basketbal
USC Picked 12th By SEC Me
Cann tipping plays?


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2014, 09:04 AM   #21
COCKYTALKIN
Household Name
 
COCKYTALKIN's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Columbia
Posts: 6,685
CockyCash: 24390296
COCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot material
Default Re: MLS almost ready for play-off

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-G View Post
Well that's different because I have a rooting interest.

I am a gamecock fan/alum. But If I wasn't and went to a different school without football, I probably wouldn't watch.
And I watch mostly the big games because they are relative to us.
That's a large part of why I follow MLS. In the end my growing appreciation for soccer is due to the World Cup. The best way to feed talent into our USMNT program long term is through a native league. It has to start somewhere. Following EPL feeds the competition.
__________________
COCKYTALKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 11:30 AM   #22
B-G
Bowl MVP
 
B-G's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Wall Street
Posts: 2,415
CockyCash: 500
B-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPit
Default Re: MLS almost ready for play-off

Quote:
Originally Posted by COCKYTALKIN View Post
Following EPL feeds the competition.
I don't necessarily agree with that.

Also, the EPL is probably the best league in the world but the English team is not that good, one can argue we have been better.
B-G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 11:37 AM   #23
markp_vip
2nd Team All-SEC
 
markp_vip's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: St Tammany Parish, La
Posts: 2,764
CockyCash: 6001866
markp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot material
Default Re: MLS almost ready for play-off

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-G View Post
I don't necessarily agree with that.

Also, the EPL is probably the best league in the world but the English team is not that good, one can argue we have been better.
Good point, and in fact of the top 4 leagues in the World. England, Spain, Italy, and Germany only 1 of their national teams even made it out of the group stage. That being said, obviously imroving the MLS will help improve our national team, but it's just one part of the puzzle.
__________________
Recently the difference between Clemson and Carolina has become clear. While Irrational People Talk About Yesterday, The Rational Ones Orchestrate Success Today. So as they desperately cling to their history, we continue to make history day by day.
markp_vip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 11:52 AM   #24
COCKYTALKIN
Household Name
 
COCKYTALKIN's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Columbia
Posts: 6,685
CockyCash: 24390296
COCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot material
Default Re: MLS almost ready for play-off

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-G View Post
I don't necessarily agree with that.

Also, the EPL is probably the best league in the world but the English team is not that good, one can argue we have been better.
Success in the World Cup is directly related to the population of the country and that countries development of soccer.

#1 U.S. has a large population. (Check)

#2 U.S. does not have a well developed soccer league. (Needs Work)

If we develop the second, success will come. Developing the MLS is the best way to grow the popularity of the sport.
__________________
COCKYTALKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 11:53 AM   #25
COCKYTALKIN
Household Name
 
COCKYTALKIN's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Columbia
Posts: 6,685
CockyCash: 24390296
COCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot material
Default Re: MLS almost ready for play-off

Quote:
Originally Posted by markp_vip View Post
Good point, and in fact of the top 4 leagues in the World. England, Spain, Italy, and Germany only 1 of their national teams even made it out of the group stage. That being said, obviously imroving the MLS will help improve our national team, but it's just one part of the puzzle.
See response above. But soccer is like any sport, you can not judge the success based on one season. You must take a look at the history of success.
__________________
COCKYTALKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 11:59 AM   #26
B-G
Bowl MVP
 
B-G's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Wall Street
Posts: 2,415
CockyCash: 500
B-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPit
Default Re: MLS almost ready for play-off

Quote:
Originally Posted by COCKYTALKIN View Post
Success in the World Cup is directly related to the population of the country and that countries development of soccer.

#1 U.S. has a large population. (Check)

#2 U.S. does not have a well developed soccer league. (Needs Work)

If we develop the second, success will come. Developing the MLS is the best way to grow the popularity of the sport.

But what about the International leagues starting to become popular here?

Sure MLS will help, but if the EPL's popularity begins to sky rocket here (as seen with the new NBC sports TV contract) it would mean more and more want to go England to play there.

20 years ago you couldn't say that. Popularity of European Soccer has GREATLY improved in the last 20 years in the US.
B-G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 12:32 PM   #27
markp_vip
2nd Team All-SEC
 
markp_vip's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: St Tammany Parish, La
Posts: 2,764
CockyCash: 6001866
markp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot material
Default Re: MLS almost ready for play-off

Quote:
Originally Posted by COCKYTALKIN View Post
Success in the World Cup is directly related to the population of the country and that countries development of soccer.

#1 U.S. has a large population. (Check)

#2 U.S. does not have a well developed soccer league. (Needs Work)

If we develop the second, success will come. Developing the MLS is the best way to grow the popularity of the sport.
Growing the MLS will help the national team, but growing the popularity of the sport as a whole also helps. There are negatives to growing the MLS as well in regards to the US National team. The growth helps all of the CONCACAF teams thus making qualification harder, but that competition will help the teams that qualify do better on the world stage.
__________________
Recently the difference between Clemson and Carolina has become clear. While Irrational People Talk About Yesterday, The Rational Ones Orchestrate Success Today. So as they desperately cling to their history, we continue to make history day by day.
markp_vip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 12:40 PM   #28
uscjeremynca
2nd Team All-SEC
 
uscjeremynca's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 3,242
CockyCash: 575
uscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot material
Default Re: MLS almost ready for play-off

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-G View Post
I don't necessarily agree with that.

Also, the EPL is probably the best league in the world but the English team is not that good, one can argue we have been better.
I love the EPL. My ancestry goes back to England. Not only do I have nothing against England but I actually love the country.

With that said, England is the most overrated soccer country in the world. There isn't even a close second. Their team has won one title nearly 50 years ago on home soil. They've gone far into the World Cup a couple of times but they are garbage.

Their World Cup is the only title they've won in their ENTIRE SOCCER HISTORY. They've never won the Euros. They've only gone beyond the quarters in the World Cup one other time in their history. Their team isn't very good.

I know it's the most popular sport and it has the most popular league but the expectations of England are completely and totally unrealistic. They're not good. They never have been that great in their entire history. One World Cup title on home soil in a majestic run to the title has led to unrealistic expectations that they are a great football/soccer nation. They aren't.
__________________
Husband, father, saved by grace
uscjeremynca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 01:00 PM   #29
markp_vip
2nd Team All-SEC
 
markp_vip's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: St Tammany Parish, La
Posts: 2,764
CockyCash: 6001866
markp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot material
Default Re: MLS almost ready for play-off

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscjeremynca View Post
I love the EPL. My ancestry goes back to England. Not only do I have nothing against England but I actually love the country.

With that said, England is the most overrated soccer country in the world. There isn't even a close second. Their team has won one title nearly 50 years ago on home soil. They've gone far into the World Cup a couple of times but they are garbage.

Their World Cup is the only title they've won in their ENTIRE SOCCER HISTORY. They've never won the Euros. They've only gone beyond the quarters in the World Cup one other time in their history. Their team isn't very good.

I know it's the most popular sport and it has the most popular league but the expectations of England are completely and totally unrealistic. They're not good. They never have been that great in their entire history. One World Cup title on home soil in a majestic run to the title has led to unrealistic expectations that they are a great football/soccer nation. They aren't.
Not going to be getting better anytime soon either since the FA mindlessly kept Hodgson in charge.
__________________
Recently the difference between Clemson and Carolina has become clear. While Irrational People Talk About Yesterday, The Rational Ones Orchestrate Success Today. So as they desperately cling to their history, we continue to make history day by day.
markp_vip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 01:06 PM   #30
B-G
Bowl MVP
 
B-G's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Wall Street
Posts: 2,415
CockyCash: 500
B-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPit
Default Re: MLS almost ready for play-off

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscjeremynca View Post
I love the EPL. My ancestry goes back to England. Not only do I have nothing against England but I actually love the country.

With that said, England is the most overrated soccer country in the world. There isn't even a close second. Their team has won one title nearly 50 years ago on home soil. They've gone far into the World Cup a couple of times but they are garbage.

Their World Cup is the only title they've won in their ENTIRE SOCCER HISTORY. They've never won the Euros. They've only gone beyond the quarters in the World Cup one other time in their history. Their team isn't very good.

I know it's the most popular sport and it has the most popular league but the expectations of England are completely and totally unrealistic. They're not good. They never have been that great in their entire history. One World Cup title on home soil in a majestic run to the title has led to unrealistic expectations that they are a great football/soccer nation. They aren't.

That is a really cool story.
B-G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 01:28 PM   #31
COCKYTALKIN
Household Name
 
COCKYTALKIN's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Columbia
Posts: 6,685
CockyCash: 24390296
COCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot material
Default Re: MLS almost ready for play-off

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-G View Post
But what about the International leagues starting to become popular here?

Sure MLS will help, but if the EPL's popularity begins to sky rocket here (as seen with the new NBC sports TV contract) it would mean more and more want to go England to play there.

20 years ago you couldn't say that. Popularity of European Soccer has GREATLY improved in the last 20 years in the US.
That's exactly my point. Why be a part of trying to grow a league from another continent? I could understand it in the early days of MLS when the games were not worthy of a view. But now, the games are unquestionably entertaining.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markp_vip View Post
Growing the MLS will help the national team, but growing the popularity of the sport as a whole also helps. There are negatives to growing the MLS as well in regards to the US National team. The growth helps all of the CONCACAF teams thus making qualification harder, but that competition will help the teams that qualify do better on the world stage.
Exactly. Growing the competition within CONCACAF will, and is, helping prepare our squads for WC.

I believe growing MLS is key to making significant gains in the popularity of the sport. The vast majority of fans want to cheer for a local team. Simply look at a fan map of any major sport in the US for evidence. Sure you will continue to have slow growth in the current category choosing to cheer for a team with which they have no natural connection to. The EPL has been around for a long time, nothing new there. If it were to ever reach MLB status, surely it would have happened by now. But I'm talking about significant gains.
__________________
COCKYTALKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 01:32 PM   #32
uscjeremynca
2nd Team All-SEC
 
uscjeremynca's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 3,242
CockyCash: 575
uscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot material
Default Re: MLS almost ready for play-off

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-G View Post
That is a really cool story.
I just get tired of the hype about England's soccer team. It's like Clemson except there is far more hype for England but actually less success than Clemson.

And unlike Clemson, they are not even entertaining to watch (at least with Clemson, they are going to put up points or melt down in an epic way. England does neither. They are just boring).
__________________
Husband, father, saved by grace
uscjeremynca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 04:41 PM   #33
Kaka
Bowl MVP
 
Kaka's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: the city
Posts: 2,480
CockyCash: 100500
Kaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot material
Default Re: MLS almost ready for play-off

Simply, get involved with local soccer.

I watched usc make the elite 8 a few years ago, I went to that game tha we lost to Michigan here in columbia, I told my brother that Michigan had two players that were too good for college soccer.

Both players are in mls right now, Meraz is with Columbus, Zaad is with Kansas, now I have something I look forward to when both teams play, they both start in mls and they are fun to watch.

Paying close attention to Silva at dc as well.
__________________
Teach a kid how to read and he will read, teach a kid how to shoot and he will shoot...

Kaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 05:27 PM   #34
uscjeremynca
2nd Team All-SEC
 
uscjeremynca's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 3,242
CockyCash: 575
uscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot material
Default Re: MLS almost ready for play-off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaka View Post
Simply, get involved with local soccer.

I watched usc make the elite 8 a few years ago, I went to that game tha we lost to Michigan here in columbia, I told my brother that Michigan had two players that were too good for college soccer.

Both players are in mls right now, Meraz is with Columbus, Zaad is with Kansas, now I have something I look forward to when both teams play, they both start in mls and they are fun to watch.

Paying close attention to Silva at dc as well.
Did you know that the USC men's soccer team played for the national title against Virginia in 1993? That was my freshman year. We lost 2-0.
__________________
Husband, father, saved by grace
uscjeremynca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 06:40 PM   #35
B-G
Bowl MVP
 
B-G's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Wall Street
Posts: 2,415
CockyCash: 500
B-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPit
Default Re: MLS almost ready for play-off

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscjeremynca View Post
I just get tired of the hype about England's soccer team. It's like Clemson except there is far more hype for England but actually less success than Clemson.

And unlike Clemson, they are not even entertaining to watch (at least with Clemson, they are going to put up points or melt down in an epic way. England does neither. They are just boring).

No one in this thread said they were a good team
B-G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 12:20 AM   #36
Kaka
Bowl MVP
 
Kaka's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: the city
Posts: 2,480
CockyCash: 100500
Kaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot material
Default Re: MLS almost ready for play-off

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscjeremynca View Post
Did you know that the USC men's soccer team played for the national title against Virginia in 1993? That was my freshman year. We lost 2-0.
Where did they play? Any of those players went pro? I would have gone to that game and I would have gone nuts.

My local team in El Salvador won 2 national championships when I lived there, that's the best feeling in the world, nothing, absolutely nothing beats a national championship.
__________________
Teach a kid how to read and he will read, teach a kid how to shoot and he will shoot...

Kaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 03:46 PM   #37
uscjeremynca
2nd Team All-SEC
 
uscjeremynca's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 3,242
CockyCash: 575
uscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot material
Default Re: MLS almost ready for play-off

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-G View Post
No one in this thread said they were a good team
True. I think a lot of people (maybe some in this thread but definitely internationally) look at the EPL and have extremely high expectations of England.

I follow soccer internationally so I'm just tired of the England hype when they have very little in their history to deserve it.

Heck, we sucked at soccer in 1994 and should have made the semi finals that year. I just don't see why an England team that won 30 years earlier on home soil (with fewer teams and less quality competition I might add) has such high expectations. I get that they have a popular league and good players but that's never translated on the field.

Okay, rant over.
__________________
Husband, father, saved by grace
uscjeremynca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 03:49 PM   #38
uscjeremynca
2nd Team All-SEC
 
uscjeremynca's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 3,242
CockyCash: 575
uscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot material
Default Re: MLS almost ready for play-off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaka View Post
Where did they play? Any of those players went pro? I would have gone to that game and I would have gone nuts.

My local team in El Salvador won 2 national championships when I lived there, that's the best feeling in the world, nothing, absolutely nothing beats a national championship.
The championship match was played somewhere in NC I believe. It was quite an unexpected run for the team. It was pretty cool to watch my team playing for a national title as a freshman. I remember watching it on TV.

Any great players come out of that team? No. USC has had some really good teams but not a lot of high quality professional players.

2 players joined USC right after that 1993 season - Clint Mathis and Josh Wolff. Along with Brad Guzan and Jim Sonefeld (drummer for Hootie and the Blowfish), those are the 4 best/most well known soccer players in USC history.
__________________
Husband, father, saved by grace
uscjeremynca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 04:13 PM   #39
B-G
Bowl MVP
 
B-G's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Wall Street
Posts: 2,415
CockyCash: 500
B-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPit
Default Re: MLS almost ready for play-off

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscjeremynca View Post
True. I think a lot of people (maybe some in this thread but definitely internationally) look at the EPL and have extremely high expectations of England.

I follow soccer internationally so I'm just tired of the England hype when they have very little in their history to deserve it.

Heck, we sucked at soccer in 1994 and should have made the semi finals that year. I just don't see why an England team that won 30 years earlier on home soil (with fewer teams and less quality competition I might add) has such high expectations. I get that they have a popular league and good players but that's never translated on the field.

Okay, rant over.
England has not had a good team in a while, but they are still a RELEVANT nation in the brand scheme of themes.
On an international level and a club level.

That is why they are always brought up.
B-G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 04:45 PM   #40
uscjeremynca
2nd Team All-SEC
 
uscjeremynca's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 3,242
CockyCash: 575
uscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot material
Default Re: MLS almost ready for play-off

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-G View Post
England has not had a good team in a while, but they are still a RELEVANT nation in the brand scheme of themes.
On an international level and a club level.

That is why they are always brought up.
I get that they are relevant. I like England. I don't mind if they do well.

But enough with the unrealistic expectations. The media in the UK doesn't help. However, history has shown that England doesn't win anything. Nothing about their performance deserves the hype, attention, or expectations.

They are the Kim Khardashian of soccer.
__________________
Husband, father, saved by grace
uscjeremynca is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:09 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Provided by SLB Development