CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
KaneisAble
doubledribble
PageUSC
GarnetSwarm1990
roosterdude21
Gamecocks1137
Jmansour333
pitchcock
thumpin big
b381l
Busta out indefinite (1994)
SOS says his next st (1673)
Our Road Upset Wins (1532)
CBSSports SEC predic (810)
Our Defense? (663)
No easy road for our (653)
University of Buffal (519)
Michael Sams done in (360)
Party like it's 1903 (301)
SEC Football Legend: (286)
Does South Carolina still
Our Defense?
official UFC thread. (new
Discussion: 2015 Recruiti
SC vs Auburn -- Playmaker
SOS says his next stop is
Rest of the season predic
CFN prediction for auburn
2016 - Issac Nauta
Roll call for Auburn

View Poll Results: How much longer will Spurrier stay
After this season 6 9.68%
2 seasons 9 14.52%
3 seasons 9 14.52%
3+ seasons 38 61.29%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-04-2014, 02:44 PM   #1
GamecockSuperFan
Run 75% of the time

Male

CockyCash: 400
GamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot material
Default Playing Devil's Advocate

I have an uncle who is close friends with Spurrier going back to his days with the Redskins. He seems to think Spurrier will only coach here 1-2 more years. I brought up Connor Mitch and the future of the program with Lorenzo Nunez, etc. and he just continued to argue with me and said theres no way coach has any intentions of being here longer than 2 more seasons. I thought it was crazy talk considering where the program is at right now. Then I started thinking. Let's just say for the sake of argument that our defense doesn't turn it around, and our offense has to scratch and claw to win us games. IF we were to let up losses to UGA, Auburn, (Mizzou or UT), Florida, and possibly Clemson, that would be 5-6 losses on the season. All of those games we could definitely lose if things continue to go south.

If the season starts to turn into a 7-5/6-6 year (Which I hope not) Do you think Spurrier will be the first to admit he's done a poor coaching job and decide that this is the year to turn it over? Or go one more season to see how it shakes out? We've recruited well but I don't see any Lattimores or Clowneys walking thru the door the next couple of seasons and honestly that's what turned this program around and brought 3 straight 11 win seasons. Getting athletes that could make the big play when you needed it and will the team to a victory. I want to see Spurrier win the SEC here as much as anyone but coaches know when they've got a team that can compete for a championship. Especially coaches that have 20+ years experience. I hope we didn't overachieve the last 3 years. If you had told me in 2005-2006 that we'd win 11 games 3 consecutive seasons and not win the SEC (let alone the division) i'd of called you crazy. But here we are.

My thoughts are if Spurrier decides to leave in the next couple of seasons, it will have not been considered a failure in any way. Winning the SEC is no easy task. A LOT of first have happened during his tenure here. Hopefully we can check some more firsts off the lists.
GamecockSuperFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 02:50 PM   #2
Gamecockman12
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 200
Gamecockman12 has feathers coming inGamecockman12 has feathers coming inGamecockman12 has feathers coming in
Default Re: Playing Devil's Advocate

Not to sound negative but I feel like if we we're gonna win the SEC championship our best chances were the past few years. I honestly don't see us winning one the next few years...
Old 09-04-2014, 02:53 PM   #3
GamecockSuperFan
Run 75% of the time

Male

CockyCash: 400
GamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecockman12 View Post
Not to sound negative but I feel like if we we're gonna win the SEC championship our best chances were the past few years. I honestly don't see us winning one the next few years...
Right. I think our best chance was when we had the best QB in school history, and the #1 overall player in highschool, college, and the NFL on defense. Just sayin... Remaining optimistic.
GamecockSuperFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 02:55 PM   #4
Evilchicken3
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 500
Evilchicken3 has earned his spursEvilchicken3 has earned his spursEvilchicken3 has earned his spursEvilchicken3 has earned his spursEvilchicken3 has earned his spursEvilchicken3 has earned his spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecockman12 View Post
Be careful! I said the same thing and was called a heretic, and threatened with a "perma ban." The case is CLOSED that top flight talent wins you championships, and it may be another 2-3 yrs before we compete again for the East. Our 2015 kids look good though!
Evilchicken3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 03:24 PM   #5
qcgamecock
Banned

Male

qcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot material

How awesome a fan you all are excluding the OP, we lose one game and you guys turn into Paul finebum..... I'm curious if the guy who told you this knows or knew when he was going to retire 2 years before he did, it is stupid to think that someone like SOS, who is super competitive to know I will retire next year or the year after, he will not know until the season is over and he does not have the edge or will to fight for another or his health does not allow it IMO but the only person who knows is SOS and anyone claiming to know is just assuming!
qcgamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 03:42 PM   #6
Emery
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1000
Emery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot material

I think it all depends on how good he feels about the talent on deck. This year is a wash. I'm not assuming we will do poorly, but there is a lot of young talent playing and a qb and probably rb who won't be around next year. If we end up doing well, that's great but if we do poorly I don't think that alone will be a reason he retires. If we do poorly without any progression and the incoming talent is not what everyone is hoping for, then the 2015 year maybe it if it goes mediocre as well.
Emery is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 03:45 PM   #7
Nureye
Smash and Grab

Male

CockyCash: 415
Nureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot material

He coached at Florida for 12 seasons. For some reason, I don't think he'll go longer than that here.
Old 09-04-2014, 03:49 PM   #8
fridayserv
Recruit

Male

fridayserv is making other chickens nervousfridayserv is making other chickens nervousfridayserv is making other chickens nervousfridayserv is making other chickens nervousfridayserv is making other chickens nervousfridayserv is making other chickens nervousfridayserv is making other chickens nervous

Regardless of the season, here is what I feel is going to happen. 1. Two assistant coaches are going to leave. 2. We are going to beat Georgia, because we have just as many talented players as Georgia. it was the coaches that gave A&M a 10 yard cushion. Florida State, Alabama, Georgia, nor UCLA could beat A&M with that defensive play calling. It will not happen again. 3. Our coaches are the best at making adjustments during the week, ECU will see. 4. This is still the team that went 11 and 2 last year. 5. Georgia is a statement game that will have all the fair weather gamecock fans back on board. My motto, I talk loud when we win, and louder when we lose. Gamecocks 42, ECU 21
fridayserv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 04:21 PM   #9
usc90grad
Cum Laude Cock

Male

CockyCash: 420000
usc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to usc90grad

After he breaks Bear's record.
Old 09-04-2014, 04:21 PM   #10
biltazar
Walk On

Male

biltazar has hatched from the shell

You really think that we have the talent of Georgia? We will need to sell our defensive soul to stop the run, and if last game taught us anything about our DBs inability to play man-to-man or tackle in space or the poor drops of our LBs in zone, we really don't want to have to do that either. And, no, we won't consistently run the ball against UGA so we will be back to relying upon big plays on offense because our offense doesn't pass for first downs much with Thompson at QB. I seriously hope that I have this one way wrong....
biltazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 04:24 PM   #11
biltazar
Walk On

Male

biltazar has hatched from the shell

I am pretty sure that SOS wishes that he was lining up against UGA with just some of the talent that departed for the NFL or some of the high schoolers that didn't make it in, but playing well on Saturday isn't going to rush coach to the exits. He does everything on his own time table, so I can't imagine handing over the reigns of our guys will be any different.
biltazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 04:29 PM   #12
rioninusc
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 555
rioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPit

At least 3, Spurrier told Mitch he would be here until he graduated.
rioninusc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 04:34 PM   #13
Yearofthegamecock
Game MVP

Male

Yearofthegamecock is USC mascot materialYearofthegamecock is USC mascot materialYearofthegamecock is USC mascot materialYearofthegamecock is USC mascot materialYearofthegamecock is USC mascot materialYearofthegamecock is USC mascot materialYearofthegamecock is USC mascot materialYearofthegamecock is USC mascot materialYearofthegamecock is USC mascot materialYearofthegamecock is USC mascot materialYearofthegamecock is USC mascot material

I think he wants to win the seccg before he goes. I don't think he retires until then.
Yearofthegamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 04:40 PM   #14
gadeneer1986
4-Star

Male

gadeneer1986 has hatched from the shell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yearofthegamecock View Post
I think he wants to win the seccg before he goes. I don't think he retires until then.
I doubt Spurrier lives that long
gadeneer1986 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 04:42 PM   #15
Yearofthegamecock
Game MVP

Male

Yearofthegamecock is USC mascot materialYearofthegamecock is USC mascot materialYearofthegamecock is USC mascot materialYearofthegamecock is USC mascot materialYearofthegamecock is USC mascot materialYearofthegamecock is USC mascot materialYearofthegamecock is USC mascot materialYearofthegamecock is USC mascot materialYearofthegamecock is USC mascot materialYearofthegamecock is USC mascot materialYearofthegamecock is USC mascot material

You're hoping he doesn't make it to November. Maybe he'll will clemp5on back to you taters
Yearofthegamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 04:47 PM   #16
Rh Gamecock
Two Deep

Male

Rh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudly

Everyone on here seems to know someone who know's Coach. Even if you friend is an acquaintance do you really think Spurrier just goes around to every person he talks to and tells them how long he will stay? I believe the only people who might know is his immediate family and thats if Spurrier has a set time frame. I believe its exactly what he has said here and every other Coaching job, he wants to leave on his own terms and if we have two or so bad years in a row he will leave on his own.
Old 09-04-2014, 04:48 PM   #17
Harry Tuttle
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 1200
Harry Tuttle is making other chickens nervousHarry Tuttle is making other chickens nervousHarry Tuttle is making other chickens nervousHarry Tuttle is making other chickens nervousHarry Tuttle is making other chickens nervousHarry Tuttle is making other chickens nervousHarry Tuttle is making other chickens nervous

Spurrier knows this is a rebuilding year. Next year we will be better than ever and the year after that we will win the SEC.
Old 09-04-2014, 04:49 PM   #18
Rh Gamecock
Two Deep

Male

Rh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudly

Also i don't see how anyone can predict two or three years ahead of time how good every team in SEC will be. No one predicted the three major teams would take such a big step back for a couple years.
Old 09-04-2014, 04:54 PM   #19
Harry Tuttle
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 1200
Harry Tuttle is making other chickens nervousHarry Tuttle is making other chickens nervousHarry Tuttle is making other chickens nervousHarry Tuttle is making other chickens nervousHarry Tuttle is making other chickens nervousHarry Tuttle is making other chickens nervousHarry Tuttle is making other chickens nervous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rh Gamecock View Post
Also i don't see how anyone can predict two or three years ahead of time how good every team in SEC will be. No one predicted the three major teams would take such a big step back for a couple years.
Yup, I mean Gurley wasn't supposed to be as good as KEith MArshall....
Old 09-04-2014, 05:29 PM   #20
18IsTheMan
Banned

Male

18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs

I don't know how long he's going to stay here, but I don't see him going anywhere else. I also don't see him being content not coaching football. His wife is even on the record recently saying she can't imagine what he'd do if not coaching football.
18IsTheMan is offline   Reply With Quote