CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
thekob
Master Bedroom
Captain9Dragons
carolina_corpsman
Patagonia
Ace Dilcock
taylorssc
kick_ball
GoldenSpur7
TRBTB
Frank Martin respond (1548)
Mike Leach blasts SE (1314)
The Double Announcem (654)
Letter FROM Tanner (597)
Kentucky favored by (374)
Capt Gene Cernan Has (248)
Call of Cthulhu | Wi (170)
Kentucky favored by 13
Frank Martin responds to
2017 Commitment - Jamyest
The Double Announcement P
2017 - Javon Kinlaw
Letter FROM Tanner
2018 - Xavier Thomas
CBS, at least, not giving
WBB: 6 FREE tickets for M
2018 MBB Zion Williamson

Old 01-12-2017, 12:25 AM   #41
rioninusc
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1000000056
rioninusc is USC mascot materialrioninusc is USC mascot materialrioninusc is USC mascot materialrioninusc is USC mascot materialrioninusc is USC mascot materialrioninusc is USC mascot materialrioninusc is USC mascot materialrioninusc is USC mascot materialrioninusc is USC mascot materialrioninusc is USC mascot materialrioninusc is USC mascot material
Default Re: Letter to Tanner

Quote:
Originally Posted by HCIW View Post
Just wanted to post in what will inevitably be a HOF thread.

Also, I think we're think too small here. Boom deserves an aircraft carrier. Now THAT would turn some ****ing heads out on the recruiting trail.
I'll raise y'alls Helicopters, and Aircraft carriers, and go with a HeliCarrier. It's the best of both worlds.

rioninusc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 12:53 AM   #42
Mookie9
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 500
Mookie9 has earned his spursMookie9 has earned his spursMookie9 has earned his spursMookie9 has earned his spursMookie9 has earned his spursMookie9 has earned his spurs

Honestly, phrases like, "left in the dust" do make you sound like an emotional fan.

I think all letters are effective in a way, just like they are to politicians, but I think you would be better off being succint. I agree that differentiating ourselves is a good idea, but describing things as "tricked-out" will not get serious consideration from the reader. I would stay away from specifics and just allude to the potential our university has, without mentioning other schools. I would just get to the point before the reader assumes it's another letter from a fan who is getting poked fun at by a Clemson fan at work.

Last edited by Mookie9; 01-12-2017 at 01:07 AM..
Mookie9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 12:55 AM   #43
Mookie9
Recruit

Male

Mookie9 has earned his spursMookie9 has earned his spursMookie9 has earned his spursMookie9 has earned his spursMookie9 has earned his spursMookie9 has earned his spurs

And one more thing - why is everyone getting on Tanner all of a sudden? What more do you want? You think he doesn't care or doesn't know South Carolina fans care? Donate more money if you want change.
Mookie9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 12:56 AM   #44
CockyLifer
Gamecocks R US MGMT

Male

CockyCash: 8981001
CockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot material

If the op is serious I don't think he will be taken seriously at all. Buy a helicopter will bring in recruits?
Old 01-12-2017, 12:57 AM   #45
CockyLifer
Gamecocks R US MGMT

Male

CockyCash: 8981001
CockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mookie9 View Post
And one more thing - why is everyone getting on Tanner all of a sudden? What more do you want? You think he doesn't care or doesn't know South Carolina fans care? Donate more money if you want change.
The School is getting tons of money not sure of everyone throwing that out there. It is all in where the money is going.
Old 01-12-2017, 01:43 AM   #46
BiscoCocky
4-Star

Male

BiscoCocky rules the CockPitBiscoCocky rules the CockPitBiscoCocky rules the CockPitBiscoCocky rules the CockPitBiscoCocky rules the CockPitBiscoCocky rules the CockPitBiscoCocky rules the CockPitBiscoCocky rules the CockPitBiscoCocky rules the CockPitBiscoCocky rules the CockPitBiscoCocky rules the CockPit

There are a lot negative nancies out there, but I think you're spot on! Every single time a fan writes a letter telling the AD (and coach, don't sell yourself short Champ could use a letter too) how to do his job it works out surprisingly well! Many people don't know this but it was actually tigernet user lovestospooge that convinced Dabo and Terry Don Phillips to go all in and build that football ops center and hire Brent Venebles. In 09 Saban was pretty much running that Bama team thru secrant user Bamabelle6969 and her expert analysis. Oregon's rise to power had nothing to do w Chip Kelly and offensive schemes and more to do with pac10 chat user duckherrightinthep420247 convincing Mike Beolitti and Phil Knight that changing uniforms every game would bring excitement. Many people will doubt you, but don't get discouraged they are just haters. In fact sending a letter maybe a little passive I suggest you march down to the Athletic office demand a meeting and tell Ray to his face! People love that kind of stuff! And if you get discourage just remember a homless guy convinced the Browns to draft Johnny Football (http://www.si.com/extra-mustard/2016...less-man-draft), getting a couple mill for a cockcopter should be easy af. /s
BiscoCocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 07:11 AM   #47
pitchcock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 29776300
pitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schark View Post
Recruits won't see it?

Ever hear of a low level fly by Goose?

It can be done pretty easily and if it's timed right can be very effective.

Aggie chopper

No, Goose or Mav can't violate FAA regulations and buzz a HS football field with a jet. Unless Champ catches a ride with one of the Blue Angels and does acrobatics, recruits can't tell the difference between a decorated Boom Jet and a United flight to Vegas overhead.

I could see a helo working in some cases, but there's likely a lot of HS's it wouldn't be possible. But maybe renting one to rapidly hit several schools in close proximity could pay off...
pitchcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 07:22 AM   #48
GregoryHouse
Pompous Ass Hillbilly

Male

CockyCash: 101731233
GregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot material

spend 2-300 bucks on a framed Travis bell photograph of the Clemson Paw above the statehouse.

A picture is worth a thousand words.

Muschamp believes that recruiting within a five-hour radius of USC, "we can recruit good enough players to win the East every year."
GregoryHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 08:34 AM   #49
CoastCocky
Blue Chip

Female

CoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamecockDad1531 View Post
I'm drafting a letter to send to Ray Tanner and I would like some input. Hopefully, I don't sound like a bitchy fan, but I prob do. Let me know where I'm right, wrong, off base or if you have something to contribute. Below is what I have so far. Thanks

Oh and if you bash me, I'll just ignore it without responding.

Dear Mr. Tanner

First, I would like to thank you for the hard work you have put into our athletic program. *Our GPA has increased and financially we've never been better. *With that said, I have some concerns that are shared by many fans. *

First, as you know, we will always measure ourselves against Clemson and the other members of the SEC East. *Many of us feel we are getting left in the dust, especially with Clemson beating us in football 3 straight years, baseball 3 straight years and basketball this year. *Florida once again played for the East title in football and Georgia has a new young coach to go with a renewed sense of urgency. *

The fans need something. *A free concert for students is nice but what are we doing as a department that inspires the fan base to look with excitement towards the future? *A new football ops building is something we have needed, but honestly, it's the equivalent of buying your best salesman a new desk. *It might help him but will it increase his sales or draw in new business? *Probably not. *Dorm renovations is a good idea, especially if they become state of the art. *

But what I mean is we need to see something that shows that the administration has a strong desire to win at the highest levels. *Something that will show recruits of all sports we are serious about taking the BRAND of South Carolina to the halls of the elite. *It's not my place to tell you what to do, but what about a tricked-out new Gamecock-designed helicopter for the athletic department? *A brand spanking new Gamecock-themed helicopter to show off to recruits and donors. *I know we have plenty of money. *Between Under Armour and ESPN and the SEC, we have never had more money. *This should have already been done, frankly.

Also, something needs to be done about this columbarium idea. *It's terrible and should never be allowed to happen. *No respectable SEC university would have that directly outside their stadium. *It will be a monument to futility if allowed to proceed. *Please do everything in your power to stop this ridiculous notion.

Finally, I desperately want you and the entire athletic department to succeed. *But I know I'm not the only one with the belief that we aren't doing enough, that those in power at the highest levels seem to be ok with us being behind in facilities, innovative ideas and groundbreaking culture changes. *Far too long we have reacted to what other schools have done instead of working tirelessly and spending relentlessly to set the standard. *Money should never be an issue. *It's time South Carolina decided once and for all: *do anything and everything to win championships within the rules or be content to merely participate. *Yoda said it best "Do or do not; there is no try."

Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone
Not bashing you, but you have to understand that Tanner will be getting quite a few letters from well-meaning fans with suggestions on what to improve, so your letter will most likely just be white noise. Not a criticism of your intent, but just how it is.

Also I have to ask...Gamecock themed helicopter...why? It kind of reminds of Napoleon Dynamite where Uncle Rico says they need something that makes it look like they have all the answers and Kip suggests gold bracelets.
CoastCocky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 08:47 AM   #50
treys1986
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 901500
treys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Order 66 View Post
I find Samuel L. Jackson quotes have the most impact.
"I am sick and tired of these mother fu$%#@! snakes on this mother fu#$%@@ plane."

That quote should really drive home the need for a tricked out helicopter.
treys1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 09:18 AM   #51
gocockswyn
Game MVP

Female

gocockswyn is USC mascot materialgocockswyn is USC mascot materialgocockswyn is USC mascot materialgocockswyn is USC mascot materialgocockswyn is USC mascot materialgocockswyn is USC mascot materialgocockswyn is USC mascot materialgocockswyn is USC mascot materialgocockswyn is USC mascot materialgocockswyn is USC mascot materialgocockswyn is USC mascot material

There is some concern with his decision to keep Coach Spurrier the extra year. It would have worked better if they had been looking for the best coach on a winning season instead of letting things fall apart. Now hopefully they make some good decisions in the future. As far as recruiting...my husband went to a funeral in Tampa the week before Natty. He said Clemson had billboards selling the University there. Well placed billboard.
gocockswyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 09:20 AM   #52
CockyDevil
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1539
CockyDevil is USC mascot materialCockyDevil is USC mascot materialCockyDevil is USC mascot materialCockyDevil is USC mascot materialCockyDevil is USC mascot materialCockyDevil is USC mascot materialCockyDevil is USC mascot materialCockyDevil is USC mascot materialCockyDevil is USC mascot materialCockyDevil is USC mascot materialCockyDevil is USC mascot material

I really do believe you mean well, but...

God man, come on. Get a grip.
Old 01-12-2017, 09:24 AM   #53
kick_ball
high midi-chlorian count

Male

CockyCash: 549
kick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot material

I'm just here for the for the jokes
kick_ball is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 09:35 AM   #54
flava03
4-Star

Male

flava03 is USC mascot materialflava03 is USC mascot materialflava03 is USC mascot materialflava03 is USC mascot materialflava03 is USC mascot materialflava03 is USC mascot materialflava03 is USC mascot materialflava03 is USC mascot materialflava03 is USC mascot materialflava03 is USC mascot materialflava03 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spur's Addiction View Post
And what the hell is the Columbianium?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Was wondering the same thing. Does anyone know what he's talking about and why it must be stopped?
Old 01-12-2017, 09:42 AM   #55
dffoxfanatic71
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 200
dffoxfanatic71 is developing his combdffoxfanatic71 is developing his combdffoxfanatic71 is developing his combdffoxfanatic71 is developing his combdffoxfanatic71 is developing his combdffoxfanatic71 is developing his combdffoxfanatic71 is developing his combdffoxfanatic71 is developing his combdffoxfanatic71 is developing his combdffoxfanatic71 is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by flava03 View Post
Was wondering the same thing. Does anyone know what he's talking about and why it must be stopped?
This is an actaul issue that does need to be addressed. guy owns some land that did not get purchased with the farmers market. Its essentially an above ground final resting place for those that have been cremated. and its right inside gamecock park. its that little fenced in area.
Old 01-12-2017, 09:43 AM   #56
flava03
4-Star

Male

flava03 is USC mascot materialflava03 is USC mascot materialflava03 is USC mascot materialflava03 is USC mascot materialflava03 is USC mascot materialflava03 is USC mascot materialflava03 is USC mascot materialflava03 is USC mascot materialflava03 is USC mascot materialflava03 is USC mascot materialflava03 is USC mascot material

Nevermind, I just saw the other thread talking about it. And I agree with the OP, please stop this.
Old 01-12-2017, 09:58 AM   #57
86 GradCock
Impact Fan

Male

CockyCash: 1800
86 GradCock is USC mascot material86 GradCock is USC mascot material86 GradCock is USC mascot material86 GradCock is USC mascot material86 GradCock is USC mascot material86 GradCock is USC mascot material86 GradCock is USC mascot material86 GradCock is USC mascot material86 GradCock is USC mascot material86 GradCock is USC mascot material86 GradCock is USC mascot material

Unfortunately, the only letter that would get Tanner's attention is one with several thousand signatures along with their Gamecock club level.

On a positive note, I am sure he is keenly aware of the disparity between our program and Clemson's along with the extreme irony of how this played out over the past 3 years. I am sure he has already dialed up the urgency for our football program to win a championship and his department is taking the necessary steps.
86 GradCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 09:59 AM   #58
imabeastonu
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 200
imabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot material

Did you just ask South Carolina's athletic director to buy a helicopter bc you feel it will make us competitive in football?
imabeastonu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 10:00 AM   #59
uscgmck
I'm Baaacck

Male

CockyCash: 100500
uscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot material

OK the chopper thing is confusing. If a kid is scared of flying on an airplane, the only way to get them on a chopper is dragging them kicking and screaming. I believe with all my heart that is not good. Actually the more I think about it the more ridiculous it sounds thus making the letter a punk joke. I say that with all respect.
Old 01-12-2017, 10:11 AM   #60
Spur's Addiction
Been caught moddin'

Male

CockyCash: 900
Spur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiscoCocky View Post
There are a lot negative nancies out there, but I think you're spot on! Every single time a fan writes a letter telling the AD (and coach, don't sell yourself short Champ could use a letter too) how to do his job it works out surprisingly well! Many people don't know this but it was actually tigernet user lovestospooge that convinced Dabo and Terry Don Phillips to go all in and build that football ops center and hire Brent Venebles. In 09 Saban was pretty much running that Bama team thru secrant user Bamabelle6969 and her expert analysis. Oregon's rise to power had nothing to do w Chip Kelly and offensive schemes and more to do with pac10 chat user duckherrightinthep420247 convincing Mike Beolitti and Phil Knight that changing uniforms every game would bring excitement. Many people will doubt you, but don't get discouraged they are just haters. In fact sending a letter maybe a little passive I suggest you march down to the Athletic office demand a meeting and tell Ray to his face! People love that kind of stuff! And if you get discourage just remember a homless guy convinced the Browns to draft Johnny Football (http://www.si.com/extra-mustard/2016...less-man-draft), getting a couple mill for a cockcopter should be easy af. /s