CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > The Water Cooler > Carolina Eats

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
GoldenSpur7
gotrice?
catdaddy66
AndersonCock
rt3891
Ace Dilcock
Gamecocks0197
BiscoCocky
SwampFox
Flameout12
How Much Attrition D (1223)
**USC Women (9-1) vs (683)
QB coach (644)
Good Players Who Mad (517)
Bianca Cuevas-Moore (406)
Face Value Question (234)
***SPOILERS*** The L (211)
2019 WBB - Haley Jon (183)
Maple Leafs Fans Hel (139)
2019 - Quavaris Crouch
2018 - Channing Tindall
*** 2017 Carolina Panther
Question regarding new OC
QB coach
2018 - KJ Henry
How Much Attrition Do We
**USC Women (9-1) vs. Sav
Face Value Question
Bianca Cuevas-Moore out f

Old 06-15-2017, 01:01 PM   #121
burr
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 200
burr is developing his combburr is developing his combburr is developing his combburr is developing his combburr is developing his combburr is developing his combburr is developing his combburr is developing his combburr is developing his comb
Default Re: Which Restaurant Do You Miss?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spur's Addiction View Post
Is Stuffy's still around? I remember that place. Right. Ext to the Bird.
no, think its long gone, I was talking about going back to Vellas.
burr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 01:22 PM   #122
RoosterBooster
1st Team All-SEC

CockyCash: 100500
RoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Louis Gamecock View Post
I went to Bowen's Island Restaurant last time I was in Charleston close to 2 years ago. You say this one is fancy compared to an earlier version? This is the only one I know of (I grew up on James Island many years ago), and while I love the food, there is NO air conditioning! The only good time to go, in my opinion, is Nov-Feb! Too freaking hot otherwise! And the fans only stir hot air in summer.
It burned about 10 years ago. Rebuilt it, I think it was gone for about 2 years or so.
Old 06-15-2017, 01:59 PM   #123
rrsandersjr
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 10200
rrsandersjr is USC mascot materialrrsandersjr is USC mascot materialrrsandersjr is USC mascot materialrrsandersjr is USC mascot materialrrsandersjr is USC mascot materialrrsandersjr is USC mascot materialrrsandersjr is USC mascot materialrrsandersjr is USC mascot materialrrsandersjr is USC mascot materialrrsandersjr is USC mascot materialrrsandersjr is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by burr View Post
Too bad, one of my favorites from way back then. Before tailgating became so big, my Dad took me there before games (Suggs era) and it was amazing to me with all the paraphernalia and signed photos on the walls. And later, (mid - late 70s) when I was up there, we would eat a steak baked potato salad and tea for maybe 3.95, very good for a growing college boy, turned many on to that special.

Also, my first sub was wolfed down at Stuffys, across from honeycombs, many a night after dropping off a date, I would (drunkenly maybe) eat the stuffy star before the trip home across the river.

and since my daughter lives in KC now, I've been wanting to go by there.
There was a direct correlation to the increase in my waistline when Stuffy's would deliver beer and Oreo ice cream with their subs.
rrsandersjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 03:05 PM   #124
gamecockjay
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 5200
gamecockjay is USC mascot materialgamecockjay is USC mascot materialgamecockjay is USC mascot materialgamecockjay is USC mascot materialgamecockjay is USC mascot materialgamecockjay is USC mascot materialgamecockjay is USC mascot materialgamecockjay is USC mascot materialgamecockjay is USC mascot materialgamecockjay is USC mascot materialgamecockjay is USC mascot material

The old country cousins in Scranton.
Old 06-16-2017, 05:33 AM   #125
Nassau Gamecock
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 6200
Nassau Gamecock is USC mascot materialNassau Gamecock is USC mascot materialNassau Gamecock is USC mascot materialNassau Gamecock is USC mascot materialNassau Gamecock is USC mascot materialNassau Gamecock is USC mascot materialNassau Gamecock is USC mascot materialNassau Gamecock is USC mascot materialNassau Gamecock is USC mascot materialNassau Gamecock is USC mascot materialNassau Gamecock is USC mascot material

There was a private supper club on Two Notch near Beltline that had great steaks and sausage biscuits and house made strawberry jam.
Old 06-18-2017, 09:50 PM   #126
Copperhead
Fight, Win, Kick Ass

Male

CockyCash: 204080
Copperhead is USC mascot materialCopperhead is USC mascot materialCopperhead is USC mascot materialCopperhead is USC mascot materialCopperhead is USC mascot materialCopperhead is USC mascot materialCopperhead is USC mascot materialCopperhead is USC mascot materialCopperhead is USC mascot materialCopperhead is USC mascot materialCopperhead is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoosterBooster View Post
It burned about 10 years ago. Rebuilt it, I think it was gone for about 2 years or so.
Yep. '06
Old 06-18-2017, 11:32 PM   #127
DBjr
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 500
DBjr has developed his gaff and talonsDBjr has developed his gaff and talonsDBjr has developed his gaff and talonsDBjr has developed his gaff and talonsDBjr has developed his gaff and talonsDBjr has developed his gaff and talonsDBjr has developed his gaff and talonsDBjr has developed his gaff and talonsDBjr has developed his gaff and talonsDBjr has developed his gaff and talonsDBjr has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yancey View Post
My mother would dine there at least weekly with one group of her hens or another. I always enjoyed it too.
ate there many times on dates with my now wife. great food .....also,In Laurens,back i the day,really miss the Ranch Drive In,the Milk Bar,and close by,up the road.....Old Millstream and Country Earls for seafood! Blazers on Lake Greenwood. ......I could go on and on.lol
Old 06-18-2017, 11:43 PM   #128
DBjr
4-Star

Male

DBjr has developed his gaff and talonsDBjr has developed his gaff and talonsDBjr has developed his gaff and talonsDBjr has developed his gaff and talonsDBjr has developed his gaff and talonsDBjr has developed his gaff and talonsDBjr has developed his gaff and talonsDBjr has developed his gaff and talonsDBjr has developed his gaff and talonsDBjr has developed his gaff and talonsDBjr has developed his gaff and talons

Forgot a few.... Bell's cafe in wattsville/ bantam chef on 221/ pizza inn in Laurens Plaza! Panorama down towards Lake Greenwood! Petes #9!
Old 06-19-2017, 01:23 PM   #129
markymark550
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 7000
markymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot material

Some of mine are more about the memories/traditions rather than the actual food.

Closed down:
1. McDowell's in Spartanburg. It was located on Asheville Highway, not too far from Hearon Circle. They had a really good hamburger steak and fried onion rings. My maternal grandparents lived in Spartanburg and I would usually spend a week or two with them during the summer. We would go eat there when I would visit and I think it was a good excuse for my granddaddy to eat there because we liked it more than my grandmama
2. Quincy's both in Rock Hill where I grew up and in Spartanburg. This is definitely more about the memories than the food. Another place granddaddy liked to go when I would visit. In Rock Hill, this was also where my dad and I would go when it was just the two of us.
3. Thursday's Too in Rock Hill. This was a staple place for the family to go out to eat. Pretty good food, even if a little overpriced. My sister and I learned how to divide before it was taught to us in school using their fried mushroom appetizer.
Dad: "OK, if there are 4 of us and 18 mushrooms, how many does everyone get?"
Me: "4, but there will be 2 left over. Who gets the extra 2?"
Dad: "Your mother and I, of course."
4. Kit Chen's Kitchen in Rock Hill. Chinese place where you could order from the menu or do the buffet. We would go there regularly after church for Sunday lunch. I still think they had the best egg drop soup. Also loved the spare ribs.

Still open:
1. Ebenezer Grill in Rock Hill. Great lunch place, just never in town for lunch.
2. Shrimp Boat in Rock Hill - "Ain't no chicken like Shrimp Boat chicken". As the motto implies, good fried chicken.
3. Side Street Pizza in Tryon, NC. Love their pizza, just don't find myself up that way too often.
markymark550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 02:18 PM   #130
The Yancey
Grumpy Old Fart

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 
CockyCash: 4751350
The Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBjr View Post
Forgot a few.... Bell's cafe in wattsville/ bantam chef on 221/ pizza inn in Laurens Plaza! Panorama down towards Lake Greenwood! Petes #9!
The Hub back when Speck, Helen, and Dennis were alive.

I miss Old Cocky Talk

The Yancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 03:25 PM   #131
hank scorpio
Yellow Bellied Sapsucker

Male

CockyCash: 2800400
hank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot material

Dopeys @ Newberry College
Old 06-27-2017, 01:09 PM   #132
Gamecock Scott
Blue Chip

Male

2007 NCAA Bracket Challenge: 2007 NCAA Bracket Challenge - Given for: 3rd Place 
Gamecock Scott rules the CockPitGamecock Scott rules the CockPitGamecock Scott rules the CockPitGamecock Scott rules the CockPitGamecock Scott rules the CockPitGamecock Scott rules the CockPitGamecock Scott rules the CockPitGamecock Scott rules the CockPitGamecock Scott rules the CockPitGamecock Scott rules the CockPitGamecock Scott rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by hank scorpio View Post
Oh, I must not have ever been there. The Pizza Inn wasn't that good, but it had a buffet, so we ended up there after baseball a few times.
There was the Pizza House on Sunset Blvd next to the old Quincy's Steak House. Yes!!! They had great pizza.

The Pizza Inn was in West Columbia across from Bojangles. They had a good lunch buffet.
Gamecock Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 01:11 PM   #133
Gamecock Scott
Blue Chip

Male

Gamecock Scott rules the CockPitGamecock Scott rules the CockPitGamecock Scott rules the CockPitGamecock Scott rules the CockPitGamecock Scott rules the CockPitGamecock Scott rules the CockPitGamecock Scott rules the CockPitGamecock Scott rules the CockPitGamecock Scott rules the CockPitGamecock Scott rules the CockPitGamecock Scott rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nassau Gamecock View Post
There was a private supper club on Two Notch near Beltline that had great steaks and sausage biscuits and house made strawberry jam.
That was the Celebrity Supper Club. It is now a bar called the Ole Place.
Old 06-27-2017, 01:14 PM   #134
Gamecock Scott
Blue Chip

Male

You people have brought back some fantastic food memories!

Can't ever beat these places:

Hite's in Lexington
Applegate's Landing
S&S Cafeteria
Cole's in Sumter

One more place that I have to mention is Henry's Restaurant on Millwood Avenue in Columbia. It closed in the early 70's. My Aunt and Uncle owned it. That was some damn good food!
Old 06-27-2017, 01:45 PM   #135
Garnet Spur
4-Star

Male

Garnet Spur rules the CockPitGarnet Spur rules the CockPitGarnet Spur rules the CockPitGarnet Spur rules the CockPitGarnet Spur rules the CockPitGarnet Spur rules the CockPitGarnet Spur rules the CockPitGarnet Spur rules the CockPitGarnet Spur rules the CockPitGarnet Spur rules the CockPitGarnet Spur rules the CockPit

Quote:
I Loved all of these another I Loved was Gooney Birds in Laurens Monday nights 25cent wings.

Last edited by Garnet Spur; 06-27-2017 at 03:18 PM..
Garnet Spur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 01:49 PM   #136
CarolinaCJAM
Carolina Band

Male

CockyCash: 400
CarolinaCJAM has developed his gaff and talonsCarolinaCJAM has developed his gaff and talonsCarolinaCJAM has developed his gaff and talonsCarolinaCJAM has developed his gaff and talonsCarolinaCJAM has developed his gaff and talonsCarolinaCJAM has developed his gaff and talonsCarolinaCJAM has developed his gaff and talonsCarolinaCJAM has developed his gaff and talonsCarolinaCJAM has developed his gaff and talonsCarolinaCJAM has developed his gaff and talonsCarolinaCJAM has developed his gaff and talons

Hu Hot in Harbison
Old 06-27-2017, 02:01 PM   #137
catdaddy66
Former Walk On in-law

Male

CockyCash: 244547729341
catdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by hank scorpio View Post
Dopeys @ Newberry College
I can't tell you how many Dopey burgers I consumed as a drunk student in Newberry. It was stumbling distance from Cromer dorm!
Old 06-27-2017, 02:01 PM   #138
Rooster'srule
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 4400
Rooster'srule is USC mascot materialRooster'srule is USC mascot materialRooster'srule is USC mascot materialRooster'srule is USC mascot materialRooster'srule is USC mascot materialRooster'srule is USC mascot materialRooster'srule is USC mascot materialRooster'srule is USC mascot materialRooster'srule is USC mascot materialRooster'srule is USC mascot materialRooster'srule is USC mascot material

Parthenon...great pizza...5points
Kountry Kitchen....meat and three...S.Main
Rooster'srule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 02:23 PM   #139
gamecockfan
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 4995300
gamecockfan is USC mascot materialgamecockfan is USC mascot materialgamecockfan is USC mascot materialgamecockfan is USC mascot materialgamecockfan is USC mascot materialgamecockfan is USC mascot materialgamecockfan is USC mascot materialgamecockfan is USC mascot materialgamecockfan is USC mascot materialgamecockfan is USC mascot materialgamecockfan is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to gamecockfan

Quote:
ate there many times on dates with my now wife. great food .....also,In Laurens,back i the day,really miss the Ranch Drive In,the Milk Bar,and close by,up the road.....Old Millstream and Country Earls for seafood! Blazers on Lake Greenwood. ......I could go on and on.lol
The original Ranch was great. Do you remember the Roseland Restaurant in Greenwood? That was run by my great grandparents.

Also Angelo's Steakhouse with the original garlic sour cream for the baked potatoes was run by family too.
Old 06-27-2017, 02:26 PM   #140
gamecockfan
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 4995300
gamecockfan is USC mascot materialgamecockfan is USC mascot materialgamecockfan is USC mascot materialgamecockfan is USC mascot materialgamecockfan is USC mascot materialgamecockfan is USC mascot materialgamecockfan is USC mascot materialgamecockfan is USC mascot materialgamecockfan is USC mascot materialgamecockfan is USC mascot materialgamecockfan is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to gamecockfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGHoskins View Post
I was going to mention the one in W Greenville. It's good but definitely not the same. The owner of the one on Stone told me one time that he needed more people my age to come in to keep it open. That obviously didn't happen.
There is still an original Capri's located in Greenwood that is fabulous!