CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Proving Ground

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Blitzkrieg
Three and Out
pitchcock
Master Bedroom
sharpe0284
GuyInTheGreenHouse
The Yancey
GeoCocky66
EAtMoRTaYtErz
TRBTB
Diamond Deshields le (594)
SEC Football Coaches (585)
Mizzo to rent out do (536)
Archie's take on Jak (447)
Oh, Hello on Netflix (248)
Mizzo to rent out dorm ro
Football team at Fort Jac
Discussion: 2018 Recruiti
2018 - Jaycee Horn
Official Baseball Coachin
Diamond Deshields leaving
SEC Football Coaches Appr
Dozier Signs With the Lak
2018 - Israel Mukuamu
2018 - Dax Hollifield

Old 06-19-2017, 12:41 AM   #1121
6pack
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 500
6pack is USC mascot material6pack is USC mascot material6pack is USC mascot material6pack is USC mascot material6pack is USC mascot material6pack is USC mascot material6pack is USC mascot material6pack is USC mascot material6pack is USC mascot material6pack is USC mascot material6pack is USC mascot material
Default Re: 2018 - Dakereon Joyner

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotrice? View Post
He's basically flipped from being recruited to taking up a role as recruiter. Going after guys like XT, Wynn, Tindall, ect.
Love it.
6pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 12:55 AM   #1122
6pack
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

6pack is USC mascot material6pack is USC mascot material6pack is USC mascot material6pack is USC mascot material6pack is USC mascot material6pack is USC mascot material6pack is USC mascot material6pack is USC mascot material6pack is USC mascot material6pack is USC mascot material6pack is USC mascot material

Clemson fans are already salty about his commitment on social media. The hell do they care? They're set at QB for the foreseeable future.
Old 06-19-2017, 01:04 AM   #1123
sandstorm2001
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 50700
sandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6pack View Post
Clemson fans are already salty about his commitment on social media. The hell do they care? They're set at QB for the foreseeable future.
Probably just people that dot follow recruiting much. Clemson didn't want him as a QB and as a result they weren't even in the mix.
Old 06-19-2017, 07:40 AM   #1124
USCBaseball
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 27544
USCBaseball is USC mascot materialUSCBaseball is USC mascot materialUSCBaseball is USC mascot materialUSCBaseball is USC mascot materialUSCBaseball is USC mascot materialUSCBaseball is USC mascot materialUSCBaseball is USC mascot materialUSCBaseball is USC mascot materialUSCBaseball is USC mascot materialUSCBaseball is USC mascot materialUSCBaseball is USC mascot material

http://sportstalksc.com/index.php/20...lls-usc-audio/
Quote:
Fort Dorchester QB Dakereon Joyner, the state’s top quarterback in the 2018 class and member of the Elite 11 national quarterback competition, used the backdrop of Father’s Day to publicly announce his intention to play his college career for Will Muschamp and USC. Joyner revealed his decision on Father’s Day to honor his late father and made the announcement at the school’s auditorium in front of a gathering of family, friends and media.
Joyner narrowed his choices to USC and NC State, with some thought about Virginia Tech, and notified the schools of his plans in May. He said he actually told Muschamp in February to “hold my spot, I think that’s where I want to go, hold my spot, and that’s what he did.” Joyner is a dual-threat quarterback. Last season he passed for 3642 yards and 44 touchdowns while rushing for 1089 yards and 12 touchdowns.
Muschamp and quarterbacks coach Kurt Roper made Joyner a priority practically from the moment they arrived in Columbia and Joyner was happy to reward their dedication to him.
“Since day one he (Muschamp) always said I was that guy,” Joyner said. “It feels good that you are that number one guy on the radar. I’m thankful for Coach Muschamp, I love him to death. He’s always supported me and I’m glad he’s going to be my future coach.”
The Gamecocks are set a quarterback with Jake Bentley going into his sophomore season, so Joyner may have to serve one or two seasons as his understudy. But, even with Bentley or another quarterback in place, he believes there will be a place for him in the offense early on.
“They definitely needed a dual-threat guy,” Joyner said. “Jake Bentley does an incredible job but at some places where they shut down the run game and the running back or shut down the pass game, a dual-threat quarterback plays a big part. He’s kind of the eraser. If a play breaks down, he can make it happen.”
Joyner also drew offers from Clemson, Tennessee, Georgia, Alabama, Florida, State, Oregon, Notre Dame and others. Some schools, like Clemson, wouldn’t commit to his desire to only be viewed as a quarterback. His athletic skills led some schools to see him more as a safety. But Joyner never wavered in his stance as a quarterback only prospect, not just for college but for playing on Sunday’s as well.
“I trust and believe in myself, I know what I can do,” Joyner said. “I work hard every single day and I would never let anyone tell me differently. You’ve got doubters. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions. I don’t listen to it. I pray everyday and I know God’s got me.”
Being such a high profile recruit, especially at the quarterback position, Joyner will elicit high expectations from the Gamecock fanbase. SEC and national championships, no doubt, are being discussed, and Joyner is happy to start the conversation.
“We’re going to have to work and those guys are working now,” he said. “Starting with the SEC East and then the whole SEC, and then win a national championship. I’m saying it now and I mean it.”
Joyner said he will now turn his recruiting interests towards other top prospects, including Clemson commitment DE Xavier Thomas and uncommitted DL Stephon Wynn.
“To win a national championship, I need other guys around me to help me win,” Joyner said. “Come play with a baller. Everybody wants to play with a good quarterback. Hopefully they jump on board.”
Joyner said he is finished with his recruiting and is “110 percent” committed to South Carolina. “I don’t want to go anywhere else.”
Joyner is the Gamecocks’ ninth commitment for the 2018 class and the fifth from South Carolina.
USCBaseball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 09:42 AM   #1125
GSC2013
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
GSC2013 is USC mascot materialGSC2013 is USC mascot materialGSC2013 is USC mascot materialGSC2013 is USC mascot materialGSC2013 is USC mascot materialGSC2013 is USC mascot materialGSC2013 is USC mascot materialGSC2013 is USC mascot materialGSC2013 is USC mascot materialGSC2013 is USC mascot materialGSC2013 is USC mascot material

Soo....what are the odds he can flip XT and others? Obviously if Clemson loses some games this year it'll help. But odds?

Ive always liked the idea of being part of a 'first ever' than being just part of another.
GSC2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 09:46 AM   #1126
taylorssc
Raisinballin'

Male

CockyCash: 1000337
taylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot material

How have mobile QBs with accuracy problems faired here recently?
taylorssc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 09:49 AM   #1127
kingoftheroost
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 100014000
kingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorssc View Post

Are you implying Joyner has accuracy problems?
Old 06-19-2017, 09:53 AM   #1128
GSC2013
Two Deep

Male

GSC2013 is USC mascot materialGSC2013 is USC mascot materialGSC2013 is USC mascot materialGSC2013 is USC mascot materialGSC2013 is USC mascot materialGSC2013 is USC mascot materialGSC2013 is USC mascot materialGSC2013 is USC mascot materialGSC2013 is USC mascot materialGSC2013 is USC mascot materialGSC2013 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Well...Connor Shaw and Bruce Ellington found their way to stardom and NFL rosters. Nunez and McIlwain transferred. Like recruiting for ALL positions...its hit or miss.

Remember the Byrnes kid Dorial Robinson (or something cant remmeber) who was the next Randy Moss supposedly and went to UGA? Not sure he even played in a game there. But I pick up 2017 Sporting News yesterday and on the cover is Clemsons former walk on Renfro.

Recruiting is kinda like colored belts in martial arts. It means both everything and nothing at the same time. See Texas A&M, the poster child lately of underachieving with a roster full of NFL bodies.
GSC2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 10:02 AM   #1129
taylorssc
Raisinballin'

Male

taylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot material

His strength is not is arm.

Bruce Ellington moved to WR. Joyner has said he only wants to play QB.

Hard to get excited about this one after watching Nunez and McIlwain.
Old 06-19-2017, 10:17 AM   #1130
PalmettoCockZ71
4-Star

Male

PalmettoCockZ71 is developing his combPalmettoCockZ71 is developing his combPalmettoCockZ71 is developing his combPalmettoCockZ71 is developing his combPalmettoCockZ71 is developing his combPalmettoCockZ71 is developing his combPalmettoCockZ71 is developing his combPalmettoCockZ71 is developing his combPalmettoCockZ71 is developing his comb

Quote:

I wouldn't think muschamp and roper would make Joyner such a priority if he didn't see something
PalmettoCockZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 10:22 AM   #1131
6pack
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmettoCockZ71 View Post
I wouldn't think muschamp and roper would make Joyner such a priority if he didn't see something
Not to mention Bentley. I'm positive he had a hand in Dakereon's recruitment. That man knows talent when he sees it.
Old 06-19-2017, 10:24 AM   #1132
6pack
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:

Nunez and McIlwain had a trial by fire run since we were thin at QB. Won't be the same situation for Joyner. He'll have time to adjust to the college game.
Old 06-19-2017, 10:27 AM   #1133
Master Bedroom
1st Team All-American

Male

Master Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot material

Quote:

This should be a much better situation than those 2
Master Bedroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 10:33 AM   #1134
taylorssc
Raisinballin'

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Bedroom View Post
This should be a much better situation than those 2
I hope so. It'd be fun to have another true dual-threat QB.
Old 06-19-2017, 10:37 AM   #1135
Master Bedroom
1st Team All-American

Male

Master Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot material

Quote:
I hope so. It'd be fun to have another true dual-threat QB.
I think DJ has more wiggle than those 2 also. I wouldn't be surprised if he had a package or 2 but he shouldn't be counted on early unless injuries. He could have a chance to be special
Master Bedroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 10:43 AM   #1136
Ace Dilcock
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 650
Ace Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Nunez threw for 2072 yards in his career in HS, 46.6 completion percentage, 13 TDs and 14 Ints.

In just his Junior year, Joyner threw for 3,643 yards with a a completion percentage of 64.26, 44 TDs and 6 Interceptions. And those passes were not short tosses - he averaged over 20 yards per completion and a ridiculous 13.44 yards per attempt.

So to answer your question, we have not "faired" well with inaccurate QBs. Thankfully, Joyner has just the opposite of accuracy problems - he is a passing machine, putting up those numbers against the top competition in the state.

It is tough to get players out of the Fort and Boom did it - congrats to him,and to Kereon for making the right decision. Spurs up!
Ace Dilcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 10:50 AM   #1137
Lonnie
Band

Male

CockyCash: 499
Lonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSC2013 View Post
Soo....what are the odds he can flip XT and others? Obviously if Clemson loses some games this year it'll help. But odds?

Ive always liked the idea of being part of a 'first ever' than being just part of another.
I think those guys are pretty well set and the odds they flip are small, BUT.....

I think it's great that he's trying and if it annoys the Clemson fans, even better....

Lonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 10:59 AM   #1138
CoverTwo
If C2 doesn't trust you..

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material
Default Re: 2018 Commitment - Dakereon Joyner

The best thing about this pickup is that he won't be forced to play right away. However, I'm envisioning Roper using him like he did Anthony Boone initially. He can be a real weapon in the redzone early in his career.

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan
CoverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 11:22 AM   #1139
RoosterBooster
1st Team All-SEC

CockyCash: 100500
RoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot material

Quote:

From the film I saw accuracy looks pretty good.

Bruce was never going to be a QB in college and new it. Game was totally different. The film I have seen on Joyner he is looking to throw even when scrambling.

Everyone knew Nunez would be a project. He never learned to read the coverage and adjust his throws to it.

McIlwain likely would have been much more successful had he not been put into the lineup as a true freshman.
Old 06-19-2017, 11:26 AM   #1140
Roosterboy
2nd Team All-American

Male

Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material
Default Re: 2018 Commitment - Dakereon Joyner

Here is the biggest thing.
The one thing that dogged Muschamp at Florida was his inability to get a QB.
In his first class he gets Bentley...in his third class, he gets Joyner.

If he can continue builing offensive weapons, and let Wolford get his Oliemen in, things can work in Columbia.

We know the defense will continue to improve. Imagine if Muschamp can get this Defense to what he had at Florida, and mix it with a competent offense with a QB.
1975, 1977, 1981, 1982, 1985, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012
Two-time National Champs

Roosterboy is offline   Reply With Quote