CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > Fowl Shots

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Blitzkrieg
kick_ball
robgusc76
Spur's Addiction
MountainCock
Captain9Dragons
Master Bedroom
NAGamec0ckFan
The Yancey
Ahmad
Dear Muschamp: Not (1388)
CFN Team ranking 1-1 (899)
I hope Jamarcus King (576)
Goergia Dome Collaps (376)
#600 (347)
NCAAF: CLEMSON TATER (202)
New Whip (202)
4 Clemson Tickets wi (33)
Funny story from my (0)
Clemson
I hope Jamarcus King has
CFN Team ranking 1-130
Jerry Meyers out as USC p
Mike Davis promoted to Se
2018 - Channing Tindall
Coaching carousel: 2017-1
No cable or Dish
NCAAB: SOUTH CAROLINA @ W
BE THERE

Old 09-13-2017, 01:59 PM   #1
Eug Cock
Old Dixie Youth

Male

CockyCash: 500
Eug Cock is crowing loudlyEug Cock is crowing loudlyEug Cock is crowing loudlyEug Cock is crowing loudlyEug Cock is crowing loudlyEug Cock is crowing loudlyEug Cock is crowing loudlyEug Cock is crowing loudlyEug Cock is crowing loudlyEug Cock is crowing loudlyEug Cock is crowing loudly
Default 2017/18 season speculation thread

I don't have the brain power to follow anything about teams other than the Cocks.
Can some of y'all with more basketball knowledge take a stab at what you think our record might be for the year and what games are looking problematic for us?
thanks!
Go Cocks!!!!

"Our history is not all that super before we got here..."
-HBC
Eug Cock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 02:18 PM   #2
thumpin big
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 5500
thumpin big rules the CockPitthumpin big rules the CockPitthumpin big rules the CockPitthumpin big rules the CockPitthumpin big rules the CockPitthumpin big rules the CockPitthumpin big rules the CockPitthumpin big rules the CockPitthumpin big rules the CockPitthumpin big rules the CockPitthumpin big rules the CockPit
Default Re: 2017/18 season speculation thread

I don't know how to predict which games we will win or lose. I can say this, I think Frank likes his team and expects it to be competitive. If the team can stay healthy, and nobody gets suspended, I expect they will do better than most of the "guessers" think they will. USC will be picked in the bottom third of the SEC by just about all of the "experts" who guess at such things, but I think we could do better than that. And I expect we will, provided we keep all of the players available.
thumpin big is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 02:49 PM   #3
markymark550
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 7000
markymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot material

To me, the OOC schedule seems to be pretty weak, but that's not surprising with us losing 3 of our top players. Will we win all those games? Probably not, as I can see there being a couple of games where we just don't gel because of all the new players. I do think we should be in a position to be able to win all of them though.

In conference, I think the usual teams like Kentucky and Florida will remain tough opponents. I also think Alabama will have a really good year, possibly the best team from the old west division. Missouri should also be a factor with that highly rated recruiting class, but they'll probably be inconsistent.

I expect us to improve over the course of the season and think we'll be playing some good basketball in Feb and March. I think we'll be on the bubble and could find ourselves in a situation where what we do in the SEC Tournament determines if we play in the NCAA Tournament or NIT.
markymark550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 04:34 PM   #4
Ace Dilcock
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 11967
Ace Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot material

My take....we have more talent than we have ever had, even with Sindarius and the guys leaving. We add two talented transfers and a nice five man Freshman class to go with the guys that came in last year.

The transfers will help make up for the graduation losses at Guard, plus the absence of Felder for the first semester (at least). David Beatty will be a talent, just needs experience. If we have Felder, the transfers, Beatty, Gravatt, we are fine at Guard. Minaya can give us minutes at Guard also, which might be needed if Felder does not make it back.

But we will be more of an inside team this year. Silva will be the star, and he should be auditioning for the NBA this year. He will have a lot of help - two 7-footers, Maik Kotsar at 6'10", and a skilled 6'9" PF in Haase. Doumbia is athletic and can play inside, but shoots well enough to play #3, and Minaya can play #2 or #3.

We have so many new pieces that it might take time to get chemistry, but we will be solid by SEC time - especially if we get Felder back. Remember that we lost our frontline to last year and people had us #7 in the SEC. So we can overcome losing our Guards, especially with the transfers that should be plug and play.

I think Frank has the program built now - we will be good every year. I see us as a team that will make the Big Dance and will have gelled enough by the end of the year to make some noise.

Last edited by Ace Dilcock; 09-13-2017 at 09:36 PM..
Ace Dilcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 10:36 PM   #5
thumpin big
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 5500
thumpin big rules the CockPitthumpin big rules the CockPitthumpin big rules the CockPitthumpin big rules the CockPitthumpin big rules the CockPitthumpin big rules the CockPitthumpin big rules the CockPitthumpin big rules the CockPitthumpin big rules the CockPitthumpin big rules the CockPitthumpin big rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Dilcock View Post
My take....we have more talent than we have ever had, even with Sindarius and the guys leaving. We add two talented transfers and a nice five man Freshman class to go with the guys that came in last year.

The transfers will help make up for the graduation losses at Guard, plus the absence of Felder for the first semester (at least). David Beatty will be a talent, just needs experience. If we have Felder, the transfers, Beatty, Gravatt, we are fine at Guard. Minaya can give us minutes at Guard also, which might be needed if Felder does not make it back.

But we will be more of an inside team this year. Silva will be the star, and he should be auditioning for the NBA this year. He will have a lot of help - two 7-footers, Maik Kotsar at 6'10", and a skilled 6'9" PF in Haase. Doumbia is athletic and can play inside, but shoots well enough to play #3, and Minaya can play #2 or #3.

We have so many new pieces that it might take time to get chemistry, but we will be solid by SEC time - especially if we get Felder back. Remember that we lost our frontline to last year and people had us #7 in the SEC. So we can overcome losing our Guards, especially with the transfers that should be plug and play.

I think Frank has the program built now - we will be good every year. I see us as a team that will make the Big Dance and will have gelled enough by the end of the year to make some noise.
More talent than we have ever had? Interesting. You might be right. I know Frank likes what Wes Myers, Frank Booker, Kory Holden and David Beatty bring to the team. Frank thinks Gravett will contribute at guard. That is five guards who should be our backcourt. Adding in Felder, if he comes back, would only make the backcourt deeper.

We have five post guys (Silva, Kotsar, Gueye, Cudd and Haase). I expect Silva to have a great year. At SF, it looks like it will be Doumbia and Minaya, if they can please Frank. Or, we could see Beatty there some. We could even see one of the bigs there some.

This team is talented. When they get used to playing together, they could be good. I think a lot of people are going to underestimate us.
thumpin big is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 11:50 AM   #6
CoverTwo
If C2 doesn't trust you..

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

We need Holden and Myers to be good, plain and simple.

We should be a much better shooting team from the perimeter with the additions of Haase, Booker, and Doumbia. All 3 of those guys can stroke it.

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan
CoverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 12:51 PM   #7
Ace Dilcock
2nd Team All-American

Male

Ace Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpin big View Post
More talent than we have ever had? Interesting. You might be right. I know Frank likes what Wes Myers, Frank Booker, Kory Holden and David Beatty bring to the team. Frank thinks Gravett will contribute at guard. That is five guards who should be our backcourt. Adding in Felder, if he comes back, would only make the backcourt deeper.

We have five post guys (Silva, Kotsar, Gueye, Cudd and Haase). I expect Silva to have a great year. At SF, it looks like it will be Doumbia and Minaya, if they can please Frank. Or, we could see Beatty there some. We could even see one of the bigs there some.

This team is talented. When they get used to playing together, they could be good. I think a lot of people are going to underestimate us.
We lose 3 players - two starters and a reserve at Guard (not counting Felder as a loss because he will be back, and probably this year). We actually were hit harder the year before when we lost our veteran frontline, including an All-SEC guy.

Frank brought in three quality transfers to offset the losses - all have started and starred at Guard at other schools. That is basically filling the void left by the graduating players.

Then we have a full team coming in as Freshmen - a lead guard in 4* Beatty, a swingman with lots of upside (he did a Bentley and came in a year early), an athletic small forward, a PF with offensive skills on the perimeter, and a 7 footer.

To me, that is more than we had last year. No one as talented as Sin but more top to bottom. Especially with a star like Silva ready to bust open and a rapidly improving Sophomore Center. Size, depth, experience, talent.
Old 09-14-2017, 02:32 PM   #8
ConwayGamecock
The Classic Double-Take

Male

CockyCash: 119335183
ConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot material

IMO the offensive talent has improved, in terms of having more depth. It's unproven depth at this point. IMO the potential for improvement in rebounding SHOULD be there as well, with the increased post depth. Some of those bigs need to step forward though.

The biggest issue is if the newcomers will embrace CFM's defensive philosophies quickly, and be quick to pick the sets up. Whatever the team does offensively will take place off of the foundation of stout team defense, and when we've struggled to grasp an understanding we've looked sloppy and off balance.

Hopefully the new guys take to it because there are very few top teams out there that just out-score all their opponents: the top 10 teams typically have fierce defenses as well. The good thing is, that defense helped the team reach the Final Four last season, so the players should understand that CFM knows what the **** he is teaching out there, and resist it so much.....
ConwayGamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 09:54 AM   #9
VBCock
4-Star

Male

VBCock is developing his combVBCock is developing his combVBCock is developing his combVBCock is developing his combVBCock is developing his combVBCock is developing his combVBCock is developing his combVBCock is developing his combVBCock is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post

We should be a much better shooting team from the perimeter with the additions of Haase, Booker, and Doumbia. All 3 of those guys can stroke it.

If we are a better shooting team, which I don't think we will be, I don't these three are likely to be the reason.
VBCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 09:55 AM   #10
VBCock
4-Star

Male

VBCock is developing his combVBCock is developing his combVBCock is developing his combVBCock is developing his combVBCock is developing his combVBCock is developing his combVBCock is developing his combVBCock is developing his combVBCock is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConwayGamecock View Post
IMO the offensive talent has improved, in terms of having more depth. It's unproven depth at this point. IMO the potential for improvement in rebounding SHOULD be there as well, with the increased post depth. Some of those bigs need to step forward though.

The biggest issue is if the newcomers will embrace CFM's defensive philosophies quickly, and be quick to pick the sets up. Whatever the team does offensively will take place off of the foundation of stout team defense, and when we've struggled to grasp an understanding we've looked sloppy and off balance.

Hopefully the new guys take to it because there are very few top teams out there that just out-score all their opponents: the top 10 teams typically have fierce defenses as well. The good thing is, that defense helped the team reach the Final Four last season, so the players should understand that CFM knows what the **** he is teaching out there, and resist it so much.....
I don't see a big reason to believe the offense will be better or deeper.

I think you are right to be concerned about the defense given the reduced size on the perimeter and the need to incorporate so many newcomers, including graduate transfers.
Old 09-18-2017, 10:03 AM   #11
VBCock
4-Star

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Dilcock View Post
We lose 3 players - two starters and a reserve at Guard (not counting Felder as a loss because he will be back, and probably this year). We actually were hit harder the year before when we lost our veteran frontline, including an All-SEC guy.

Frank brought in three quality transfers to offset the losses - all have started and starred at Guard at other schools. That is basically filling the void left by the graduating players.

Then we have a full team coming in as Freshmen - a lead guard in 4* Beatty, a swingman with lots of upside (he did a Bentley and came in a year early), an athletic small forward, a PF with offensive skills on the perimeter, and a 7 footer.

To me, that is more than we had last year. No one as talented as Sin but more top to bottom. Especially with a star like Silva ready to bust open and a rapidly improving Sophomore Center. Size, depth, experience, talent.
We lose three starters and a projected starter. Dozier, Notice, Thornwell, Felder.

We needed Dozier to come back to anchor the backcourt and shoulder some of the scoring load. Now, we really do have to hope some unknowns can do it.

I won't write off the possibility. I was surprised a bit last year by how good we were, but it seems to me that this is a tougher task than last season.
Old 09-18-2017, 10:56 AM   #12
AndersonCock
Walk On

Male

AndersonCock has hatched from the shell

How do y'all think we will do in Non-Conference it seems like we play a lot of mid majors but the SEC will be tough if we can go .500 in the league and win a lot of the non conference games we might be a tourney team
AndersonCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 05:22 PM   #13
Ace Dilcock
2nd Team All-American

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by VBCock View Post
We lose three starters and a projected starter. Dozier, Notice, Thornwell, Felder.

We needed Dozier to come back to anchor the backcourt and shoulder some of the scoring load. Now, we really do have to hope some unknowns can do it.

I won't write off the possibility. I was surprised a bit last year by how good we were, but it seems to me that this is a tougher task than last season.
When you are assessing improvement year to year, it is not accurate to project a starter and say we lose four. Because if they did not start and contribute in a big way the previous year, then we are not losing much. Felder may have started, but he was a minor contributor until he had the good run in the tournament.

Plus, I can pretty much guarantee that he will be back second semester (it would be a travesty if he was not), so we don't lose him.

We have three transfer guards, two Seniors and a RS Junior. Two were big scorers for their previous teams. Felder and Gravatt will be improved, and Beatty was highly touted. We don't bring the two grad transfers in unless Frank thinks the future is now - otherwise, we find a HS Senior and go through the rebuilding process.

Then we return all of our bigs (except Keita, who missed a lot of the year and then played sparingly), plus some nice new talent.

This is the first team that Frank has that is deep across the board, and has the size/depth to be able to pound inside, which is his style of play. The best is yet to come.
Old 09-18-2017, 05:34 PM   #14
Ace Dilcock
2nd Team All-American

Male

Quote:
If we are a better shooting team, which I don't think we will be, I don't these three are likely to be the reason.
Booker hits right at 1/3 of his threes (33.1%) over his career, which is as good as hitting 49.7% from two point range. And most of his shots are from long range.

Haase is a very polished offensive performer - he can shoot from three, put the ball on the floor, has nice post moves.

Doumbia is supposed to have a good shooting stroke also, which is promising (and rare) for an athletic 6' 6" player.

But you are right - Myers (36.2%) and Holden (38.5%) are both better three point shooters than Booker. That is the equivalent of hitting 54.3% and 57.75% from two point range - pretty good shooting.
Old 09-18-2017, 07:07 PM   #15
kingofnerf
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 10500
kingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot material

Quote:
My perception is that Bruce Shingler was responsible for the better shooting from the guys last season.

If this is true, we will be better on offense than we might think this season.
Old 09-18-2017, 08:02 PM   #16
sc455
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 63940
sc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post

You forgot beatty.
sc455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 09:46 PM   #17
Cockhornleghorn
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1234644973229
Cockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndersonCock View Post
How do y'all think we will do in Non-Conference it seems like we play a lot of mid majors but the SEC will be tough if we can go .500 in the league and win a lot of the non conference games we might be a tourney team
.500 in the league won't be good enough with that non-conference schedule - we will need 10 or 11 SEC wins to make the NCAAT.
Old 09-18-2017, 10:53 PM   #18
gotrice?
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 200
gotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to gotrice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockhornleghorn View Post
.500 in the league won't be good enough with that non-conference schedule - we will need 10 or 11 SEC wins to make the NCAAT.
It actually could be. This will probably be the strongest the conference has been in years and we could see 6 or 7 teams in the tournament, maybe even 8.
gotrice? is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 04:49 PM   #19
CoverTwo

Male

CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc455 View Post
You forgot beatty.
Beatty has a reputation as being a slasher.

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan
Old 09-19-2017, 04:53 PM   #20
CoverTwo

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotrice? View Post
It actually could be. This will probably be the strongest the conference has been in years and we could see 6 or 7 teams in the tournament, maybe even 8.
Alabama, Arkansas, Auburn, Florida, Kentucky, and Missouri should be locks.

Mississippi State, South Carolina, Vanderbilt should be bubbles.

I don't know anything about Georgia, LSU, Ole Miss, Tennessee, or Texas A&M.