CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Proving Ground

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
tcmac08
TaySC
Blitzkrieg
kick_ball
GeoCocky66
rt3891
Captain9Dragons
SwampFox
damron
Y Formation
**GAME #1 USC (20-17 (5840)
Daniels Island - Cha (463)
Avicii Dead at 28 (321)
Hootie in Charleston (281)
Dawn gets a longevit (260)
2019 - Savion Jackson
*** Softball 2018 season
2019 - Mark-Antony Richar
**GAME #1 USC (20-17) vs.
Dakereon Joyners' speed..
Frank and Ray Need to Be
***Ace Of Spades - Men's
Dawn gets a longevity bon
2019 - Christian Brown
2019 - DJ Burns

Old 01-11-2018, 04:09 AM   #3281
Three and Out
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 10500
Three and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot material
Default Re: Discussion: 2018 Recruiting Impressions

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoCocky66 View Post
Upgrade for Jamison, if he fails to qualify this year.
I saw where if either Character or Jamison couldn’t enroll early, then the coaches were done with them. So we can close the book on both.
Three and Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 11:19 AM   #3282
NAGamec0ckFan
Proverbs 14:12

Male

CockyCash: 17185
NAGamec0ckFan is USC mascot materialNAGamec0ckFan is USC mascot materialNAGamec0ckFan is USC mascot materialNAGamec0ckFan is USC mascot materialNAGamec0ckFan is USC mascot materialNAGamec0ckFan is USC mascot materialNAGamec0ckFan is USC mascot materialNAGamec0ckFan is USC mascot materialNAGamec0ckFan is USC mascot materialNAGamec0ckFan is USC mascot materialNAGamec0ckFan is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaySC View Post
Yeah, I just saw where Warren Thompson (4 star WR) is coming in for a visit. Scoop all 3 and it could be the best recruiting day since Clowney committed to us.

https://247sports.com/Player/Warren-Thompson-89545

Appears he was strongly considered to be headed to Oregon last June, but as of December it seems like most predicted them to flip to FSU.
Do we need another WR?
NAGamec0ckFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 12:50 PM   #3283
CoverTwo
If C2 doesn't trust you..

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAGamec0ckFan View Post
Do we need another WR?
They are preparing to take the best available player they can get with the last spot.

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan
CoverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 03:47 PM   #3284
Kazak
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 5500
Kazak is USC mascot materialKazak is USC mascot materialKazak is USC mascot materialKazak is USC mascot materialKazak is USC mascot materialKazak is USC mascot materialKazak is USC mascot materialKazak is USC mascot materialKazak is USC mascot materialKazak is USC mascot materialKazak is USC mascot material

Taking the best available player we can land with that last spot is the smart move. There is a longstanding NFL philosophy that you donít draft for need, you take the highest rated player on your board, regardless of position. Few teams stick to it, because need is a powerful motivator, but a few teams adhere to it religiously and thatís how, for example, an already strong offensive line becomes elite.

Now, an NFL team can try to fill deficiencies through free agency, and we donít have that option, so recruiting for need is a must on the college level...but in a last scholarship scenario, if your options are taking a player to simply add depth in a thin area or taking a potentially elite high 4-Star WR who could conceivably boost that group from strong to spectacular...I think you go with the latter.
Kazak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 04:19 PM   #3285
BigRedCock
kob's DADDY

Male

CockyCash: 5672
BigRedCock is USC mascot materialBigRedCock is USC mascot materialBigRedCock is USC mascot materialBigRedCock is USC mascot materialBigRedCock is USC mascot materialBigRedCock is USC mascot materialBigRedCock is USC mascot materialBigRedCock is USC mascot materialBigRedCock is USC mascot materialBigRedCock is USC mascot materialBigRedCock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazak View Post
Taking the best available player we can land with that last spot is the smart move. There is a longstanding NFL philosophy that you donít draft for need, you take the highest rated player on your board, regardless of position. Few teams stick to it, because need is a powerful motivator, but a few teams adhere to it religiously and thatís how, for example, an already strong offensive line becomes elite.

Now, an NFL team can try to fill deficiencies through free agency, and we donít have that option, so recruiting for need is a must on the college level...but in a last scholarship scenario, if your options are taking a player to simply add depth in a thin area or taking a potentially elite high 4-Star WR who could conceivably boost that group from strong to spectacular...I think you go with the latter.
What if that position is a starting kicker, vs added depth at established positions that isn't consistently costing us points, or games?
BigRedCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 04:24 PM   #3286
gotrice?
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 20200
gotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to gotrice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedCock View Post
What if that position is a starting kicker, vs added depth at established positions that isn't consistently costing us points, or games?
Parker White got better as the season went on, he started 1-7 and finished over 50% which means he did a solid job once he got settled in. Kicker isn't the massive need our fans want to make it out to be.
gotrice? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 04:27 PM   #3287
gamecockphan
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 102200
gamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotrice? View Post
Parker White got better as the season went on, he started 1-7 and finished over 50% which means he did a solid job once he got settled in. Kicker isn't the massive need our fans want to make it out to be.
He was good from 40 yds in. I think he only missed 1 kick under 40. the O needs to put him in better positions to succeed.
gamecockphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 04:34 PM   #3288
CoverTwo
If C2 doesn't trust you..

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

Parker is only a freshman. He is going to be very, very good.

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan
CoverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 04:34 PM   #3289
GeoCocky66
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 3242
GeoCocky66 is USC mascot materialGeoCocky66 is USC mascot materialGeoCocky66 is USC mascot materialGeoCocky66 is USC mascot materialGeoCocky66 is USC mascot materialGeoCocky66 is USC mascot materialGeoCocky66 is USC mascot materialGeoCocky66 is USC mascot materialGeoCocky66 is USC mascot materialGeoCocky66 is USC mascot materialGeoCocky66 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedCock View Post
There's no proof given recent USC experience that a scholarship kicker (e.g., Nick St. Germain) would be any better than a walk on (e.g., Elliott Fry), and it would lock us into that kicker for 4 years regardless of their performance. Besides that, Parker was money from 40 yards in (which is better than a number of college kickers) and has much better leg strength than probably 90% of college kickers. Improve the snap and hold (also a problem) and let him work on some mechanics and he has the making to be All-SEC.
GeoCocky66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 04:34 PM   #3290
gotrice?
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 20200
gotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to gotrice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamecockphan View Post
He was good from 40 yds in. I think he only missed 1 kick under 40. the O needs to put him in better positions to succeed.
Agreed. Also after he started 1/7 he went 72% for the rest of the season. 72% would be on par with 2 of Elliott Fry's seasons here.
gotrice? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 10:41 AM   #3291
sharpe0284
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 300
sharpe0284 is making other chickens nervoussharpe0284 is making other chickens nervoussharpe0284 is making other chickens nervoussharpe0284 is making other chickens nervoussharpe0284 is making other chickens nervoussharpe0284 is making other chickens nervoussharpe0284 is making other chickens nervous

Any information on the DJ Brown kid?
sharpe0284 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 11:55 AM   #3292
sc455
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 63940
sc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot material

people just remember the first 3 games..ouch..he got better, for sure.
sc455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 06:18 PM   #3293
Three and Out
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Three and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot material

Mincey, Brown or W Thompson are the likely remaining choices......DE, DB or WR
Old 01-14-2018, 11:40 PM   #3294
U-S-C till i D-I-E
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 3000
U-S-C till i D-I-E rules the CockPitU-S-C till i D-I-E rules the CockPitU-S-C till i D-I-E rules the CockPitU-S-C till i D-I-E rules the CockPitU-S-C till i D-I-E rules the CockPitU-S-C till i D-I-E rules the CockPitU-S-C till i D-I-E rules the CockPitU-S-C till i D-I-E rules the CockPitU-S-C till i D-I-E rules the CockPitU-S-C till i D-I-E rules the CockPitU-S-C till i D-I-E rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three and Out View Post
Mincey, Brown or W Thompson are the likely remaining choices......DE, DB or WR
I don't know a whole lot about Mincey or Brown, and wr is probably our deepest position of those three, but Thompson would be a big get. He seems legit.
Old 01-18-2018, 01:48 PM   #3295
GarnetSwarm1990
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 5738
GarnetSwarm1990 is USC mascot materialGarnetSwarm1990 is USC mascot materialGarnetSwarm1990 is USC mascot materialGarnetSwarm1990 is USC mascot materialGarnetSwarm1990 is USC mascot materialGarnetSwarm1990 is USC mascot materialGarnetSwarm1990 is USC mascot materialGarnetSwarm1990 is USC mascot materialGarnetSwarm1990 is USC mascot materialGarnetSwarm1990 is USC mascot materialGarnetSwarm1990 is USC mascot material

Final 247 rankings for the 2018 class are coming out today. Let's see who moves.
GarnetSwarm1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 02:37 PM   #3296
Dpcocks
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 1500
Dpcocks is developing his combDpcocks is developing his combDpcocks is developing his combDpcocks is developing his combDpcocks is developing his combDpcocks is developing his combDpcocks is developing his combDpcocks is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnetSwarm1990 View Post
Final 247 rankings for the 2018 class are coming out today. Let's see who moves.

We have one player, vann. Bryce didnít move at all and Belk was moved to 5 star even though he didnít get an invite to the shrine bowl. Itís a joke, good thing stars donít matter once players step on campus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dpcocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 03:43 PM   #3297
Kazak
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 5500
Kazak is USC mascot materialKazak is USC mascot materialKazak is USC mascot materialKazak is USC mascot materialKazak is USC mascot materialKazak is USC mascot materialKazak is USC mascot materialKazak is USC mascot materialKazak is USC mascot materialKazak is USC mascot materialKazak is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dpcocks View Post
We have one player, vann. Bryce didnít move at all and Belk was moved to 5 star even though he didnít get an invite to the shrine bowl. Itís a joke, good thing stars donít matter once players step on campus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
WTF. Bryce Thompsonís rating not budging IS an absolute joke, I agree, unless 247 simply makes it a policy to not move players with uncertain academic status. (Otherwise, itís just unforgivably lazy scouting on their part.)

Vann actually dropped several spots.

Meanwhile, Clemson had two players rocket up the charts to 5-Star status. Iím sure politics had absolutely nothing to do with that.

Oh well. What the hell ever, 247. We have a strong class, and I have zero doubt that Boom is a far better evaluator than any part-time rating site employee.
Kazak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 03:45 PM   #3298
Three and Out
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnetSwarm1990 View Post
I don’t they have finished with the ranking changes. Today is likely the first of several.
Old 01-18-2018, 03:52 PM   #3299
Ace Dilcock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 13862
Ace Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazak View Post
WTF. Bryce Thompsonís rating not budging IS an absolute joke, I agree, unless 247 simply makes it a policy to not move players with uncertain academic status. (Otherwise, itís just unforgivably lazy scouting on their part.)

Vann actually dropped several spots.

Meanwhile, Clemson had two players rocket up the charts to 5-Star status. Iím sure politics had absolutely nothing to do with that.

Oh well. What the hell ever, 247. We have a strong class, and I have zero doubt that Boom is a far better evaluator than any part-time rating site employee.
Thompson should have moved up based on the playoff and Shrine Bowl results. But he did not get more offers due to academics and there is no buzz to generate subscriptions - if his grades are good, he is coming here. Otherwise, JUCO.

Belk is kinda funny - 247 has him a a 5*, 247 Composite has him as a 4* outside the Top 100, Rivals has him as a 3*.

The last time I saw a disparity like that was Brandon Shell - he was listed as a Top Ten 5*, a Top 100 4*, and a 3*. Based on success in college and the pros, he should have been at least a 4*.

Belk needs to convert some fat to muscle but he has a lot of potential. But this just confirms what a lot of people already knew - the star ratings are political and the players going to the top programs get their stars jacked up. So in a sense, Clemson has caught Alabama in that regard.
Ace Dilcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 11:44 PM   #3300
Three and Out
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three and Out View Post
I don’t they have finished with the ranking changes. Today is likely the first of several.
Wrong, today is the final day.