CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Proving Ground > Basketball Recruits

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
carolina_corpsman
Spur's Addiction
taylorssc
SheckWes
TaySC
etowngangsta
Three and Out
rt3891
wildwes
TastyLicks
Facilities (1774)
Getting Paid. (1400)
Muschamp: the anti- (1084)
2020 Charlie Spegal (881)
Didn't catch the lat (502)
Hey Y'all...Penny Ma (279)
Football staff raise (226)
2020 - Deidrick Stan (207)
2020 Warm / Warmer / (205)
Dinosaur footprints (163)
Facilities
2019 - John Dixon
NLI's recieved
Muschamp: the anti-Spurr
Killing The Shift?
The 2018 college football
Kelly Bryant transferring
2019 Commitment - Ryan Hi
2019 - Reddy Steward
2019 Recruiting Early Sig

Old 03-13-2018, 10:27 PM   #1
thumpin big
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 5500
thumpin big is USC mascot materialthumpin big is USC mascot materialthumpin big is USC mascot materialthumpin big is USC mascot materialthumpin big is USC mascot materialthumpin big is USC mascot materialthumpin big is USC mascot materialthumpin big is USC mascot materialthumpin big is USC mascot materialthumpin big is USC mascot materialthumpin big is USC mascot material
Default Serrel Smith

Decommitted from Ole Miss today. His high school coach got a call from South Carolina today also. Gamecocks are inquiring. Smith is a combo guard, according to some.
thumpin big is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 11:19 PM   #2
Cockhornleghorn
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1234631605329
Cockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot material
Default Re: Serrel Smith

ESPN has him listed as a 4 star guard; we need more guards. I still hope Kory is able to come back.
Old 03-13-2018, 11:32 PM   #3
Feathers
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 500
Feathers is developing his combFeathers is developing his combFeathers is developing his combFeathers is developing his combFeathers is developing his combFeathers is developing his combFeathers is developing his combFeathers is developing his combFeathers is developing his combFeathers is developing his comb

247 has him as a 3 star and rated #145. Couisnard is 152 and Moss is 148. ESPN has him as a 4 star. The report on him is that he is a good 3pt shooter. Naturally gifted to score points.If he can shoot we need him. Maybe we need Andy Kennedy on staff.
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 11:36 PM   #4
Cockhornleghorn
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1234631605329
Cockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feathers View Post
247 has him as a 3 star and rated #145. Couisnard is 152 and Moss is 148. ESPN has him as a 4 star. The report on him is that he is a good 3pt shooter. Naturally gifted to score points.If he can shoot we need him. Maybe we need Andy Kennedy on staff.
I'm not an Andy Kennedy fan, he kind of gives me the creeps. I trust Frank to do what's best, however.
Old 03-14-2018, 12:12 AM   #5
thumpin big
1st Team All-SEC

Male

thumpin big is USC mascot materialthumpin big is USC mascot materialthumpin big is USC mascot materialthumpin big is USC mascot materialthumpin big is USC mascot materialthumpin big is USC mascot materialthumpin big is USC mascot materialthumpin big is USC mascot materialthumpin big is USC mascot materialthumpin big is USC mascot materialthumpin big is USC mascot material

I would guess Frank has spoken to AK about Smith: what AK likes about him, and his evaluation of his skills and character.
thumpin big is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 12:14 AM   #6
GAMEKEM
Blue Chip

Male

GAMEKEM rules the CockPitGAMEKEM rules the CockPitGAMEKEM rules the CockPitGAMEKEM rules the CockPitGAMEKEM rules the CockPitGAMEKEM rules the CockPitGAMEKEM rules the CockPitGAMEKEM rules the CockPitGAMEKEM rules the CockPitGAMEKEM rules the CockPitGAMEKEM rules the CockPit

I would make him a priority, from the few vids I saw he can definitely shoot. We could use a guard that can create their own shot and deliver.
GAMEKEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 12:24 AM   #7
Feathers
Blue Chip

Male

Feathers is developing his combFeathers is developing his combFeathers is developing his combFeathers is developing his combFeathers is developing his combFeathers is developing his combFeathers is developing his combFeathers is developing his combFeathers is developing his combFeathers is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAMEKEM View Post
I would make him a priority, from the few vids I saw he can definitely shoot. We could use a guard that can create their own shot and deliver.
I saw some videos on him. I was very impressed.He scored 42 on Oak Hill.
Old 03-14-2018, 07:12 AM   #8
rabid cock
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 24763
rabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockhornleghorn View Post
I'm not an Andy Kennedy fan, he kind of gives me the creeps. I trust Frank to do what's best, however.
I would think AK has to grow on you, If not a coach, he has a career as a commentator. He is a natural and a very funny guy.

Speaking of one of these guards, we need ONE in a big way. A point guard, to boot, and we'd be a tourney team, for sure. We were one step removed this year...so close.
rabid cock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 07:27 AM   #9
AmonRa777
1st Team All-SEC

Male

AmonRa777 is USC mascot materialAmonRa777 is USC mascot materialAmonRa777 is USC mascot materialAmonRa777 is USC mascot materialAmonRa777 is USC mascot materialAmonRa777 is USC mascot materialAmonRa777 is USC mascot materialAmonRa777 is USC mascot materialAmonRa777 is USC mascot materialAmonRa777 is USC mascot materialAmonRa777 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feathers View Post
Frank seems to prefer long lanky guys that play great defense and shoot 50% from lay up range... Hopefully we can get this kid.. Watching hoops is so exciting when your team can make shots...
AmonRa777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 01:03 PM   #10
VBCock
Blue Chip

Male

VBCock has developed his gaff and talonsVBCock has developed his gaff and talonsVBCock has developed his gaff and talonsVBCock has developed his gaff and talonsVBCock has developed his gaff and talonsVBCock has developed his gaff and talonsVBCock has developed his gaff and talonsVBCock has developed his gaff and talonsVBCock has developed his gaff and talonsVBCock has developed his gaff and talonsVBCock has developed his gaff and talons

interesting prospect. Very skinny and I'm not sure on that 6'3 height.

His game definitely seems inspired by Steph Curry. Put 39 and 42 on Oak Hill so he can get a shot off. Definitely a three point shooter with some ball handling, but not sure he was his team's primary ball handler. I think that kid might be a prospect as well.
VBCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 01:06 PM   #11
VBCock
Blue Chip

Male

VBCock has developed his gaff and talonsVBCock has developed his gaff and talonsVBCock has developed his gaff and talonsVBCock has developed his gaff and talonsVBCock has developed his gaff and talonsVBCock has developed his gaff and talonsVBCock has developed his gaff and talonsVBCock has developed his gaff and talonsVBCock has developed his gaff and talonsVBCock has developed his gaff and talonsVBCock has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabid cock View Post
I would think AK has to grow on you, If not a coach, he has a career as a commentator. He is a natural and a very funny guy.

Speaking of one of these guards, we need ONE in a big way. A point guard, to boot, and we'd be a tourney team, for sure. We were one step removed this year...so close.
Kennedy and Martin definitely have good chemistry. If Kennedy were interested in sitting a season or two out as an assistant would be a good fit, but I'm relatively sure that is not what he's going to do. Don't see him here.

I will say Kennedy did seem to consistently find a kid on most of his teams who would fill it up and would just sort of let him do his thing. Not sure that's great coaching, but those dudes could shoot it.
VBCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 01:16 PM   #12
USCBASEBALL1
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 311755
USCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmonRa777 View Post
Frank seems to prefer long lanky guys that play great defense and shoot 50% from lay up range... Hopefully we can get this kid.. Watching hoops is so exciting when your team can make shots...
unfortunately its true.
USCBASEBALL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 01:34 PM   #13
AndersonCock
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 3000
AndersonCock is USC mascot materialAndersonCock is USC mascot materialAndersonCock is USC mascot materialAndersonCock is USC mascot materialAndersonCock is USC mascot materialAndersonCock is USC mascot materialAndersonCock is USC mascot materialAndersonCock is USC mascot materialAndersonCock is USC mascot materialAndersonCock is USC mascot materialAndersonCock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by VBCock View Post
interesting prospect. Very skinny and I'm not sure on that 6'3 height.

His game definitely seems inspired by Steph Curry. Put 39 and 42 on Oak Hill so he can get a shot off. Definitely a three point shooter with some ball handling, but not sure he was his team's primary ball handler. I think that kid might be a prospect as well.
Throw the kitchen sink at this kid having a guard who can create his own shot was really needed this past season.
AndersonCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 01:50 PM   #14
Feathers
Blue Chip

Male

He doesn't seem to be the typical player Frank recruits being that shooting is his strength.It will be interesting to see how hard we try to get him.
Old 03-14-2018, 02:22 PM   #15
AndersonCock
Two Deep

Male

AndersonCock is USC mascot materialAndersonCock is USC mascot materialAndersonCock is USC mascot materialAndersonCock is USC mascot materialAndersonCock is USC mascot materialAndersonCock is USC mascot materialAndersonCock is USC mascot materialAndersonCock is USC mascot materialAndersonCock is USC mascot materialAndersonCock is USC mascot materialAndersonCock is USC mascot material

Defensive effort can be learned quickly pure shooting talent takes hours of work Id like to see us take the kid and let him shoot.
Old 03-14-2018, 05:19 PM   #16
BringBackGarcia
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 1000
BringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot material

I think the bad news is that if Frank just made contact, it'll be at least 12-15 months before he's comfortable making a scholarship offer.
BringBackGarcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 06:30 PM   #17
ConwayGamecock
The Classic Double-Take

Male

CockyCash: 119154183
ConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndersonCock View Post
Defensive effort can be learned quickly pure shooting talent takes hours of work Id like to see us take the kid and let him shoot.
Not based on anything I've observed this past season.....
ConwayGamecock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 07:26 PM   #18
gotrice?
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 20020
gotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to gotrice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndersonCock View Post
Defensive effort is one of those things some players have or they don't, with coaching you can correct a shot or improve a shot. Think Carerra, couldn't hit a 10 ft jumper with any consistency as a freshman and as a senior around 40% from 3. Easier to teach shooting because it's mechanical corrections followed by repetition, may take a year or two but definitely teachable.
gotrice? is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 07:28 PM   #19
AndersonCock
Two Deep

Male

Gravett and Gueye were the worst defenders. Gravett has to be one of the worst on ball defenders Ive seen. But we also went through 3 minute stretches where we couldnt hit a basket. Id rather have a great shooter with good defense. Gravett has neither a good shot or good defense, he routinely got blown by. I hate to rag on the guy so much but hes just not good at least in Franks system.
Old 03-14-2018, 09:51 PM   #20
usc1
Class of 2013

Male

CockyCash: 1472263
usc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotrice? View Post
Defensive effort is one of those things some players have or they don't, with coaching you can correct a shot or improve a shot. Think Carerra, couldn't hit a 10 ft jumper with any consistency as a freshman and as a senior around 40% from 3. Easier to teach shooting because it's mechanical corrections followed by repetition, may take a year or two but definitely teachable.
I disagree with this take. Effort is something you can control, pure offensive talent is something you usually have to recruit.