CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > Fowl Shots

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Captain9Dragons
SanAntonioCock
Spur's Addiction
Three and Out
rt3891
dreammachine
wildwes
Ace Dilcock
TastyLicks
COCKDIESEL
Dickerson medically (1726)
Gamecock Receivers (415)
We Can Beat Them (269)
College football pod (112)
Danny Sheridan: No way U
Can Carolina and Tennesse
Gamecock Receivers
College football podcast?
SEC Media Days
2018 Prediction Thread -
Jovaughn Gwyn is strong
Discussion: 2019 Recruiti
Gamecock Jordan brand?
We Can Beat Them


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2018, 08:16 PM   #41
Nuyoika
4-Star
 
Nuyoika's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: NY
Posts: 303
CockyCash: 500
Nuyoika is developing his combNuyoika is developing his combNuyoika is developing his combNuyoika is developing his combNuyoika is developing his combNuyoika is developing his combNuyoika is developing his combNuyoika is developing his comb
Default Re: Number 2 Seed in Albany Regional

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmonRa777 View Post
I see your point.. The real mystery is why was Baylor not a 1 seed? That's what created the issue with where to send the 2s.. Also the rationale they used to send Oregon to Spokane is the exact opposite of how they justified not sending South Carolina to Lexington 2 years ago... Dawn never forgets.. She hears the double talk and convoluted bs... She knows the committee is full of it..
It wasn't a mystery at all. The committee made it very clear from the first reveal Baylor had no shot of getting a #1 seed unless Notre Dame and Louisville tanked horribly in some way the rest of the season. Even then it was still going to be hard because when you compared their schedule to the other #1s it was laughably incongruent.

Knowing that SOS is important, and factoring in the example they made of Maryland, everyone knew Baylor was getting a 2 or 3 seed. Now many thought that if Notre Dame didn't win the ACC tourney Baylor had a shot @ a 1 seed but they screwed themselves because Baylor only had 4 top 50 RPI wins vs Notre Dame's 13 top 50 RPIs... That is ridiculous. The committee literally said in the 2016 that if your OOC is in the triple digits you will not be rewarded.

Baylor has been good enough for long enough to play teams better than this: Here are the teams that they played in the OOC slate with their current RPI (3/13) next to them, Lamar (97), Coppin St (322), Central Arkansas (122), UCLA (10), Missouri St (101), Georgia Tech (67), Kentucky (87), Stanford (13), North Dakota (207), McNeese (278), and Nicholls (189). The seeding of Baylor is really what caused most of the hoopla because they are a very strong team but their resume just didn't match those ahead of them.
Nuyoika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 09:48 PM   #42
aftertwobowls
Game MVP
 
aftertwobowls's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Moonshine Hill, NC
Posts: 1,647
CockyCash: 270000000
aftertwobowls is USC mascot materialaftertwobowls is USC mascot materialaftertwobowls is USC mascot materialaftertwobowls is USC mascot materialaftertwobowls is USC mascot materialaftertwobowls is USC mascot materialaftertwobowls is USC mascot materialaftertwobowls is USC mascot materialaftertwobowls is USC mascot materialaftertwobowls is USC mascot materialaftertwobowls is USC mascot material
Default Re: Number 2 Seed in Albany Regional

Anybody know what time the second round game on Sunday is?
aftertwobowls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 10:25 PM   #43
AmonRa777
1st Team All-SEC
 
AmonRa777's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: greenwood sc
Posts: 3,600
CockyCash: 5500
AmonRa777 is USC mascot materialAmonRa777 is USC mascot materialAmonRa777 is USC mascot materialAmonRa777 is USC mascot materialAmonRa777 is USC mascot materialAmonRa777 is USC mascot materialAmonRa777 is USC mascot materialAmonRa777 is USC mascot materialAmonRa777 is USC mascot materialAmonRa777 is USC mascot materialAmonRa777 is USC mascot material
Default Re: Number 2 Seed in Albany Regional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuyoika View Post
It wasn't a mystery at all. The committee made it very clear from the first reveal Baylor had no shot of getting a #1 seed unless Notre Dame and Louisville tanked horribly in some way the rest of the season. Even then it was still going to be hard because when you compared their schedule to the other #1s it was laughably incongruent.

Knowing that SOS is important, and factoring in the example they made of Maryland, everyone knew Baylor was getting a 2 or 3 seed. Now many thought that if Notre Dame didn't win the ACC tourney Baylor had a shot @ a 1 seed but they screwed themselves because Baylor only had 4 top 50 RPI wins vs Notre Dame's 13 top 50 RPIs... That is ridiculous. The committee literally said in the 2016 that if your OOC is in the triple digits you will not be rewarded.

Baylor has been good enough for long enough to play teams better than this: Here are the teams that they played in the OOC slate with their current RPI (3/13) next to them, Lamar (97), Coppin St (322), Central Arkansas (122), UCLA (10), Missouri St (101), Georgia Tech (67), Kentucky (87), Stanford (13), North Dakota (207), McNeese (278), and Nicholls (189). The seeding of Baylor is really what caused most of the hoopla because they are a very strong team but their resume just didn't match those ahead of them.
If they put so much stock in SOS, why wasn't South Carolina the 2nd 2 seed... Baylor won the Big12 regular season and tournament championships... They decided where they wanted to put the the top eight... Then made up this amorphous rationale...

But this debate is trite and useless.. Teams are good enough to win the next six or not.. If not, you are not worthy of being champions
AmonRa777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 10:27 PM   #44
Cockhornleghorn
2nd Team All-American
 
Cockhornleghorn's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Columbia
Posts: 9,721
CockyCash: 1234631805329
Cockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot material
Default Re: Number 2 Seed in Albany Regional

Quote:
Originally Posted by seamus View Post
Leghorn: Yes I think that ESPN has a lot of influence on the NCAA, For years they have told them when they could play their contests. the NCAA gets a lot of money from ESPN and they have used this to be able to arrange match ups to their benefit.

As for their being thousands of our fans in New York, I sincerely hope that you are correct. And they they show up to root the Gamecocks to victory.
I'm not saying we'll have thousands of fans in Albany because tickets aren't plentiful, but tickets have a way of materializing closer to the games. I learned that in the NCAA MBB Tournament last year. BTW, we had at least 10,000 fans at MSG for the Regional Final last year. It was practically like a home game.
__________________
Cockhornleghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 10:30 PM   #45
Cockhornleghorn
2nd Team All-American
 
Cockhornleghorn's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Columbia
Posts: 9,721
CockyCash: 1234631805329
Cockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot material
Default Re: Number 2 Seed in Albany Regional

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofnerf View Post
I also watched this and I thought they did a good job explaining why which teams went where.

UConn had no problem spanking us in front of a hostile sell-out crowd at the CLA this year and in years past. They weren't our only loss this year and we're a 2-seed based on our record, which is not a personality contest.

It's true we are the reigning NC this year, but our record says we are a 2-seed instead of a 1.

Dawn's complaining doesn't bother me, though, because it's the same as getting in a ref's ear during a game. She's just trying to get us in a better position to win is all and I am okay with that.

But I also think she can be perceived as looking for a greater chance of someone else beating UConn instead of us having to try to, which I think is a bad look for us.
Actually, I don't think Dawn's complaints have anything to do with UCONN, she's looking out for us fans. There is a reason that Dawn has been able to get big attendance in Columbia and it's because she interacts with fans and makes them feel important. Yes, reasonable ticket prices help, too, but WBB ticket prices have always been reasonable.
__________________
Cockhornleghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 10:52 PM   #46
Nuyoika
4-Star
 
Nuyoika's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: NY
Posts: 303
CockyCash: 500
Nuyoika is developing his combNuyoika is developing his combNuyoika is developing his combNuyoika is developing his combNuyoika is developing his combNuyoika is developing his combNuyoika is developing his combNuyoika is developing his comb
Default Re: Number 2 Seed in Albany Regional

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmonRa777 View Post
If they put so much stock in SOS, why wasn't South Carolina the 2nd 2 seed... Baylor won the Big12 regular season and tournament championships... They decided where they wanted to put the the top eight... Then made up this amorphous rationale...

But this debate is trite and useless.. Teams are good enough to win the next six or not.. If not, you are not worthy of being champions
As they explained in the extended coverage (which maybe you can find on ESPN3) they clearly stated that your pairing does not necessarily indicate the order of your seed. That is not how they make the decision. It's not that simple and literally impossible because the ACC and SEC have too many teams in the overall pool to make it that simple.

People keep mixing AP Poll rankings and Coaches Poll rankings and trying to extrapolate that your pairing indicates your overall seeding which it does not. Everything you are asking was explained in detail but you're right it is win or go home so worrying about where you are is truly irrelevant because you have to beat who is in front of you irregardless of the location.
Nuyoika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 11:10 PM   #47
GAMEKEM
Blue Chip
 
GAMEKEM's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Myrtle Beach
Posts: 566
CockyCash: 500
GAMEKEM is crowing loudlyGAMEKEM is crowing loudlyGAMEKEM is crowing loudlyGAMEKEM is crowing loudlyGAMEKEM is crowing loudlyGAMEKEM is crowing loudlyGAMEKEM is crowing loudlyGAMEKEM is crowing loudlyGAMEKEM is crowing loudlyGAMEKEM is crowing loudlyGAMEKEM is crowing loudly
Default Re: Number 2 Seed in Albany Regional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockhornleghorn View Post
Actually, I don't think Dawn's complaints have anything to do with UCONN, she's looking out for us fans. There is a reason that Dawn has been able to get big attendance in Columbia and it's because she interacts with fans and makes them feel important. Yes, reasonable ticket prices help, too, but WBB ticket prices have always been reasonable.
Agreed, her beef is with the location not with the potential opponents. It must be frustrating to build a program with record crowds to then tell that same fan base they must travel to Seattle, Denver, South Dakota, Standford and now Albany, for multiple years in a row.
GAMEKEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 01:18 AM   #48
aftertwobowls
Game MVP
 
aftertwobowls's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Moonshine Hill, NC
Posts: 1,647
CockyCash: 270000000
aftertwobowls is USC mascot materialaftertwobowls is USC mascot materialaftertwobowls is USC mascot materialaftertwobowls is USC mascot materialaftertwobowls is USC mascot materialaftertwobowls is USC mascot materialaftertwobowls is USC mascot materialaftertwobowls is USC mascot materialaftertwobowls is USC mascot materialaftertwobowls is USC mascot materialaftertwobowls is USC mascot material
Default Re: Number 2 Seed in Albany Regional

Anybody know what time our second round game is on Sunday? Or have they not announced the game time yet?

Last edited by aftertwobowls; 03-14-2018 at 01:38 AM..
aftertwobowls is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:21 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Provided by SLB Development