CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Proving Ground > Basketball Recruits

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
2k15
Order 66
CockyLifer
SC Gamecock
FurmanCock
Cockypantherfan
Senior Rooster
Blackland
GregoryHouse
Garnet&BlackOp
THIS IS WHAT WE DO. (1126)
We're going have our (1072)
Johnathan Gipson (546)
Old Dominion upsets (353)
CockyGaming’s way to (299)
Radio Station in Gre (294)
AAC (195)
Lamb on the grill (161)
THIS IS WHAT WE DO.
Old Dominion upsets Virgi
We're going have our hand
2020 Commitment - Mecose
CockyGaming’s way to earl
2019 Commitment - Ryan Hi
Week 4: Around College Fo
**USC (1-1) vs. Vanderbil
Sure, it's a long shot
Bama vs _____

Old 02-27-2018, 06:59 AM   #21
AmonRa777
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 5500
AmonRa777 is USC mascot materialAmonRa777 is USC mascot materialAmonRa777 is USC mascot materialAmonRa777 is USC mascot materialAmonRa777 is USC mascot materialAmonRa777 is USC mascot materialAmonRa777 is USC mascot materialAmonRa777 is USC mascot materialAmonRa777 is USC mascot materialAmonRa777 is USC mascot materialAmonRa777 is USC mascot material
Default Re: Women's bb - Ezi Magbegor

The west coast gurus think Magbegor is a UCLA lock... But she will visit UCONN
AmonRa777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 08:37 PM   #22
Nuyoika
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 500
Nuyoika is developing his combNuyoika is developing his combNuyoika is developing his combNuyoika is developing his combNuyoika is developing his combNuyoika is developing his combNuyoika is developing his combNuyoika is developing his comb

Well the WNBL let the cat out of the bag a little early: https://theworldnews.net/au-news/wnb...aide-lightning appears she will be playing @ UConn.
Nuyoika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 09:45 PM   #23
bbbbookert
4-Star

Male

bbbbookert has hatched from the shell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuyoika View Post
Well the WNBL let the cat out of the bag a little early: https://theworldnews.net/au-news/wnb...aide-lightning appears she will be playing @ UConn.
oo lord
bbbbookert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 10:17 PM   #24
Cockhornleghorn
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1234631605329
Cockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot material

Quote:
Oh well; congrats. Are you going to the Regional in Albany?
Old 03-14-2018, 01:01 AM   #25
DorchesterGamecock
Game MVP

Male

DorchesterGamecock is USC mascot materialDorchesterGamecock is USC mascot materialDorchesterGamecock is USC mascot materialDorchesterGamecock is USC mascot materialDorchesterGamecock is USC mascot materialDorchesterGamecock is USC mascot materialDorchesterGamecock is USC mascot materialDorchesterGamecock is USC mascot materialDorchesterGamecock is USC mascot materialDorchesterGamecock is USC mascot materialDorchesterGamecock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Lol. Wow. The rich get RICHER.
DorchesterGamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 01:06 AM   #26
Truly Cocky
Anonymous

Male

CockyCash: 50500500
Truly Cocky is USC mascot materialTruly Cocky is USC mascot materialTruly Cocky is USC mascot materialTruly Cocky is USC mascot materialTruly Cocky is USC mascot materialTruly Cocky is USC mascot materialTruly Cocky is USC mascot materialTruly Cocky is USC mascot materialTruly Cocky is USC mascot materialTruly Cocky is USC mascot materialTruly Cocky is USC mascot material

I mean this is honestly absurd. No disrespect intended as UCONN has a historic and incredible program.

Y'all lose Nurse and Williams and maybe Stevens declares for the draft but then add Magbegor the #1 international prospect, Williams the #1 2018 prospect and Nelson-Ododa the #5 prospect

How is college basketball honestly supposed to keep up with that? UCONN has gotten the #1 overall prospect 3 of the past 4 years.

Last edited by Truly Cocky; 03-14-2018 at 01:19 AM..
Truly Cocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 01:31 AM   #27
bbbbookert
4-Star

Male

bbbbookert has hatched from the shell

Tired of this mess what a joke 2019 champs texas ,baylor, or uconn
bbbbookert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 02:37 AM   #28
DorchesterGamecock
Game MVP

Male

DorchesterGamecock is USC mascot materialDorchesterGamecock is USC mascot materialDorchesterGamecock is USC mascot materialDorchesterGamecock is USC mascot materialDorchesterGamecock is USC mascot materialDorchesterGamecock is USC mascot materialDorchesterGamecock is USC mascot materialDorchesterGamecock is USC mascot materialDorchesterGamecock is USC mascot materialDorchesterGamecock is USC mascot materialDorchesterGamecock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truly Cocky View Post
I mean this is honestly absurd. No disrespect intended as UCONN has a historic and incredible program.

Y'all lose Nurse and Williams and maybe Stevens declares for the draft but then add Magbegor the #1 international prospect, Williams the #1 2018 prospect and Nelson-Ododa the #5 prospect

How is college basketball honestly supposed to keep up with that? UCONN has gotten the #1 overall prospect 3 of the past 4 years.
And I would be SHOCKED if Brunelle (#1 in 2019) lands anywhere but there.

Like seriously.. what are you supposed to do to compete? And to be honest, I don’t blame Connecticut. If every top recruit wanted to come to SC I would stack my roster too.. but it’s just unfortunate that the best of the best usually feel that UConn is the only place where they can achieve greatness.
DorchesterGamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 06:13 AM   #29
AmonRa777
1st Team All-SEC

Male

AmonRa777 is USC mascot materialAmonRa777 is USC mascot materialAmonRa777 is USC mascot materialAmonRa777 is USC mascot materialAmonRa777 is USC mascot materialAmonRa777 is USC mascot materialAmonRa777 is USC mascot materialAmonRa777 is USC mascot materialAmonRa777 is USC mascot materialAmonRa777 is USC mascot materialAmonRa777 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorchesterGamecock View Post
And I would be SHOCKED if Brunelle (#1 in 2019) lands anywhere but there.

Like seriously.. what are you supposed to do to compete? And to be honest, I don’t blame Connecticut. If every top recruit wanted to come to SC I would stack my roster too.. but it’s just unfortunate that the best of the best usually feel that UConn is the only place where they can achieve greatness.
The UCONN run will end... Much sooner than people think... When these dynastic runs fall, it happens suddenly without warning signs... Tenn was there until suddenly there weren't.. Notre Dame was beating UCONN regularly until suddenly they weren't... Vivian Stringer had dominant runs at LaTech.. Then suddenly it ended... A star shines brightest before it explodes...

What Coach Auriema and his staff have achieved is the most impressive thing since John Wooden... But sheath your despair and frustration.. It will end, and much sooner than you think.. I know this because I have seen this story before

Last edited by AmonRa777; 03-14-2018 at 11:25 AM..
Old 03-14-2018, 06:21 AM   #30
AmonRa777
1st Team All-SEC

Male

I don't care who they sign.. They have a 15 player limit like everyone else... There are far too many great players to worry about their stock...if you rank the classes 2 years after signing day, its never the same as before... Opposing teams have to focus on evaluation and development.. That's the only way to beat them.. They have earned a tremendous appeal.. Their graduates at ESPN are always hyping them.. Just because they can't be out recruited, doesn't mean they can't be beaten...

We don't out recruit Tenn.. But we ousted them from the top of the SEC... Keep the faith... History never lies even though some historians do

Last edited by AmonRa777; 03-14-2018 at 08:03 AM..
Old 03-14-2018, 11:09 AM   #31
Nuyoika
4-Star

Male

Nuyoika is developing his combNuyoika is developing his combNuyoika is developing his combNuyoika is developing his combNuyoika is developing his combNuyoika is developing his combNuyoika is developing his combNuyoika is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockhornleghorn View Post
Oh well; congrats. Are you going to the Regional in Albany?
Yeah I'll be there. Not a horrible drive. Only about 3 hours for me one way.
Old 03-14-2018, 11:55 AM   #32
brat
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 200
brat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot material

UCONN will be at or near the top until Geno retires or somewhat near that time.
Old 03-14-2018, 12:23 PM   #33
AmonRa777
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by brat View Post
UCONN will be at or near the top until Geno retires or somewhat near that time.
they'll be near the top even after Geno retires.. What they have built wont evaporate with Geno..But they will fall from the top before Geno retires.. History has proven this over and over...Now Geno may surprise and say enough before his run ends..His enormous ego wont allow him to take too many butt cuttings...My guess is after they fail to win the title this season, his mind will ponder a great many things
Old 03-14-2018, 12:25 PM   #34
allnet43
Recruit

Male

allnet43 is sharpening his clawsallnet43 is sharpening his clawsallnet43 is sharpening his clawsallnet43 is sharpening his claws

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmonRa777 View Post
I don't care who they sign.. They have a 15 player limit like everyone else... There are far too many great players to worry about their stock...if you rank the classes 2 years after signing day, its never the same as before... Opposing teams have to focus on evaluation and development.. That's the only way to beat them.. They have earned a tremendous appeal..
Yep......

1. Learn from UCONN, take what they do better than what we do...
2. Understand how ND, who had the most sucess in recent years 2011-2013 against them did it.....
3 Ask a lot of questions to try and understand why they UCONN get a steady stream of top players even during the building years. In-depth hard qestions about both their program and ours, be real. Questions like, if you were the top shooting guard coming out would you rather play in their system or our post first system?
4. Look at it from the recruit perspective.
5. Ask more questions, keep asking why,why,why.....

Learn, implement change, beat them now and then supplant them at the top ......jmo
allnet43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 12:25 PM   #35
treyno2722
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 10400
treyno2722 is USC mascot materialtreyno2722 is USC mascot materialtreyno2722 is USC mascot materialtreyno2722 is USC mascot materialtreyno2722 is USC mascot materialtreyno2722 is USC mascot materialtreyno2722 is USC mascot materialtreyno2722 is USC mascot materialtreyno2722 is USC mascot materialtreyno2722 is USC mascot materialtreyno2722 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmonRa777 View Post
The UCONN run will end... Much sooner than people think... When these dynastic runs fall, it happens suddenly without warning signs... Tenn was there until suddenly there weren't.. Notre Dame was beating UCONN regularly until suddenly they weren't... Vivian Stringer had dominant runs at LaTech.. Then suddenly it ended... A star shines brightest before it explodes...

What Coach Auriema and his staff have achieved is the most impressive thing since John Wooden... But sheath your despair and frustration.. It will end, and much sooner than you think.. I know this because I have seen this story before
Vivian Stringer never coached at La Tech.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C._Vivian_Stringer

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louisi...aching_records
treyno2722 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 02:55 PM   #36
VBCock
4-Star

Male

VBCock is developing his combVBCock is developing his combVBCock is developing his combVBCock is developing his combVBCock is developing his combVBCock is developing his combVBCock is developing his combVBCock is developing his combVBCock is developing his combVBCock is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by allnet43 View Post
Yep......

2. Understand how ND, who had the most sucess in recent years 2011-2013 against them did it.....
3 Ask a lot of questions to try and understand why they UCONN get a steady stream of top players even during the building years. In-depth hard qestions about both their program and ours, be real. Questions like, if you were the top shooting guard coming out would you rather play in their system or our post first system?

Learn, implement change, beat them now and then supplant them at the top ......jmo

Before you do too much soul searching, here is your reminder that they have 11 National titles and have made 10 straight Final Fours. I'd say that's probably a pretty good explanation of how they get good players.

It's not a fair fight. it's not about something as subtle as the difference between how many touches the posts get.

They get the best players because they've been the dominant program in college basketball since they knocked Tennessee off that perch in the early 00s.
VBCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 03:03 PM   #37
AndersonCock
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 3000
AndersonCock is USC mascot materialAndersonCock is USC mascot materialAndersonCock is USC mascot materialAndersonCock is USC mascot materialAndersonCock is USC mascot materialAndersonCock is USC mascot materialAndersonCock is USC mascot materialAndersonCock is USC mascot materialAndersonCock is USC mascot materialAndersonCock is USC mascot materialAndersonCock is USC mascot material

Geno seems like a creep to me, we lead the country in attendance, have the next Olympic coach and have a hall of famer as coach. We’ll catch up to Connecticut in terms of recruiting in a few years if Staley sticks around I say she has a few more National titles before she leaves Carolina.
AndersonCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 03:37 PM   #38
SC Sandlapper
Mr. 10,000

Male

CockyCash: 9650
SC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by VBCock View Post
Before you do too much soul searching, here is your reminder that they have 11 National titles and have made 10 straight Final Fours. I'd say that's probably a pretty good explanation of how they get good players.

It's not a fair fight. it's not about something as subtle as the difference between how many touches the posts get.

They get the best players because they've been the dominant program in college basketball since they knocked Tennessee off that perch in the early 00s.
Say what you want about Geno but he has gotten most of the best WBB players in the country to come to UConn. I attended our game with them this year and just the physical differences with our players was stark. You could notice it in person more than on TV. They all had a very similar build, and I will try to be careful here, but they were leaner with narrower hips, were quicker, more fluid with their movement, and just built for speed and agility. Their shooting was not a ton better than ours but their movement was on a different plane altogether, and because of that, they were just more open more often.

On the other hand, we have had some big players who were tough underneath but not very fast, and that won't always cut it against elite teams.
SC Sandlapper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 05:20 PM   #39
Nuyoika
4-Star

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by allnet43 View Post
Yep......

1. Learning requires one to believe they don't already know everything. Most coaches have their own system and are not going to try and adapt to someone elses especially if they believe that very system is what got them the job they currently have.

2. The answer is guard play. It has always been guard play. UConn has only lost 15 games in 10 years. A coach could watch all their losses in a weekend and find that out. Again though, once a coach has decided they will lose to UConn beause UConn has more talent they aren't going to even consider how they could win.

3. Some kids just want to play, those are the kids that usually transfer. Some kids know they aren't WNBA or pro ball material and still want to go there and get a couple minutes a game and be a part of the journey helping their top ranked teammates win something every once in a while. Some kids go there w/ the expectation that they will be great and be a Pro one day. Their roster usually represents a mix of those just like every other Top 10 WCBB teams roster. UConn doesn't make you any promises but they do have history on their side.

4. From a recruits perspective they know if UConn gives you an offer they mean it. It's unlikely they have given out more than 2 or 3 others in your class. I'm sure there is an exclusivity feeling to it.

5. Geno is an open book. He has invited any coach in the country who wants to come talk or watch his team practice to do so. Jeff Walz has taken the invitation in the past. Most recently Vic Shaeffer took the invitation after UConn ripped then to shreds in the tourney. He spent an hour and a half w/ Geno talking about how to run an offense. The very next year he beats him in the tourney in historic fashion. Even the great Tara V. has taken the invitation and then later on used it to beat him. People don't want to hear about that though. They would rather him be the villian. These are confirmed and resported stories by other coaches. Why aren't some of these lower level coaches taking him up on his offer? I would wager it has a lot to with pride and what I referenced up in #1.
Old 03-14-2018, 06:48 PM   #40
Cockhornleghorn
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1234631605329
Cockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot material

Quote:
Yeah I'll be there. Not a horrible drive. Only about 3 hours for me one way.
I'm 90% sure I'm going.