CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Proving Ground

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
TaySC
Order 66
Garnet&BlackOp
GeoCocky66
carolina_corpsman
gamecock88
kingoftheroost
Cockadoo
CockNJersey
ConwayGamecock
Thank You (650)
Who's the 1* bandit? (617)
NCAAF: CHATTANOOGA A (220)
BCM and her final ye (219)
Furman Basketball (183)
Tailgating for Chatt (130)
NCAAF: NOTRE DAME @ (91)
NCAAF: GEORGIA STATE (85)
NCAAF: IOWA STATE @ (78)
BLACK FRIDAY SHOPPIN (69)
**USC (5-4) vs. Chattanoo
2019 - Chris Steele
**USC (2-1) vs. Providenc
2019 - Jakai Moore
Week 12: Around College F
2019 - Jaydon Hill - Flor
Discussion: 2020 Recruiti
Red Dead Redemption II
Furman Basketball
Don't Underestimate Chatt

Old 05-16-2018, 02:31 PM   #441
carolina_corpsman
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 10500
carolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot material
Default Re: 2019 Commitment - Ryan Hilinski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post

As I'm sure you've heard in the military 1 Million times, "attention to detail...."
It really does pay off in the long run. Although when you fail a room inspection because there is dust on your AC vent and a piece of lint behind the head it's a PITA.

I am sure that now that CWM has identified a weakness in their delegation he has corrected it and it won't happen again.

Again, I am glad that Hilinski appears to realize it was an honest mistake and not the coaches trying to be underhanded with him.
carolina_corpsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 02:57 PM   #442
Lonnie
Band

Male

CockyCash: 2001
Lonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_corpsman View Post
It really does pay off in the long run. Although when you fail a room inspection because there is dust on your AC vent and a piece of lint behind the head it's a PITA.
Off Topic: First off when I was in school, we didn't have AC. August + Charleston + Wool Uniforms = hot.

Second, for our first room inspection, my roomie and I cleaned all night. The inspecting officer comes in the room, and about 7 seconds later takes his white glove and reaches up under the shelf on both of our desks and comes back with dust. Never missed that one again.

Lonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 03:16 PM   #443
CapitolCock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1000002258
CapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot material

Quote:
The coaches are over contact with recruits. Our coaches are putting in 60+ hour weeks right now in the office and on the recruiting trail. They simply don't have time to keep up contact with all of our recruits committed and otherwise. So the recruiting staff has access to the coaches social media (twitter) and phones to txt recruits. The coaches delegate the actual contact with the recruits. Goes something like this. The coach tells the staff what to say and when to send it out to the recruit. The staff is responsable for relaying the message. In this case, it didn't happen. When the Head Coach has to clean up the mess, it's never good. The "fix" is a fail safe message for making sure messages go out. But a staff member leaving is a rare event that I'm not sure we had contingencies for. On the plus side, it speaks well of our program that folks are trying to poach people from us (word is this was a significant promotion for said staffer).
Don't get me wrong, I understand the rationality behind why a staff would do this for most recruits. I just don't think that's a great practice for somebody at the QB position or other highly sought after recruits, and we might want to revisit it.

Think about it for a minute. How did Muschamp communicate to this staffer that he should send a text to Hilinski? Does this staffer follow Muschamp around and get orders verbally? Or does Muschamp actually type it out and send it to the staffer? If that's the case, there's nothing stopping a coach from sending it directly to the recruit instead of the staffer. We're just adding an additional step to the process for no real good reason.
CapitolCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 04:47 PM   #444
tcmac08
Three-toed sloth

Male

CockyCash: 200
tcmac08 is USC mascot materialtcmac08 is USC mascot materialtcmac08 is USC mascot materialtcmac08 is USC mascot materialtcmac08 is USC mascot materialtcmac08 is USC mascot materialtcmac08 is USC mascot materialtcmac08 is USC mascot materialtcmac08 is USC mascot materialtcmac08 is USC mascot materialtcmac08 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Off Topic: First off when I was in school, we didn't have AC. August + Charleston + Wool Uniforms = hot.

Second, for our first room inspection, my roomie and I cleaned all night. The inspecting officer comes in the room, and about 7 seconds later takes his white glove and reaches up under the shelf on both of our desks and comes back with dust. Never missed that one again.

Worse one I had was dust on top of the room door. Not the trim around the door, but actually on top of the door. It was closed while we were cleaning, so it did not get touched. First thing that was checked with the glove.
tcmac08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 05:00 PM   #445
bhusc2002
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 9400
bhusc2002 is USC mascot materialbhusc2002 is USC mascot materialbhusc2002 is USC mascot materialbhusc2002 is USC mascot materialbhusc2002 is USC mascot materialbhusc2002 is USC mascot materialbhusc2002 is USC mascot materialbhusc2002 is USC mascot materialbhusc2002 is USC mascot materialbhusc2002 is USC mascot materialbhusc2002 is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to bhusc2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitolCock View Post
Don't get me wrong, I understand the rationality behind why a staff would do this for most recruits. I just don't think that's a great practice for somebody at the QB position or other highly sought after recruits, and we might want to revisit it.

Think about it for a minute. How did Muschamp communicate to this staffer that he should send a text to Hilinski? Does this staffer follow Muschamp around and get orders verbally? Or does Muschamp actually type it out and send it to the staffer? If that's the case, there's nothing stopping a coach from sending it directly to the recruit instead of the staffer. We're just adding an additional step to the process for no real good reason.
You're assuming there would be one message sent and that's the end of it. In that case, you are correct. But, what about when Ryan responds? Should Muschamp hold an entire conversation about the situation with Ryan? In that case, it would be much more than the one email that Muschamp would have sent to the staffer, and the staffer would presumably have the time to conduct the conversation.
bhusc2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 05:18 PM   #446
CapitolCock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1000002258
CapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhusc2002 View Post
You're assuming there would be one message sent and that's the end of it. In that case, you are correct. But, what about when Ryan responds? Should Muschamp hold an entire conversation about the situation with Ryan? In that case, it would be much more than the one email that Muschamp would have sent to the staffer, and the staffer would presumably have the time to conduct the conversation.
Yeah, I get that, but to at least provide the critical information at hand, you'd think somebody would want to make sure that got to Ryan. Any follow-up is likely irrelevant and probably just answering questions with standard responses that anybody could do.

Look, I did this stuff all the time in a previous job. Not for recruiting, but the boss man always made sure the initial contact was made (because it was made by him) in major circumstances, and then let me and the rest of the staff handle further contact. It's just so basic.
CapitolCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 05:33 PM   #447
carolina_corpsman
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 10500
carolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitolCock View Post
Yeah, I get that, but to at least provide the critical information at hand, you'd think somebody would want to make sure that got to Ryan. Any follow-up is likely irrelevant and probably just answering questions with standard responses that anybody could do.

Look, I did this stuff all the time in a previous job. Not for recruiting, but the boss man always made sure the initial contact was made (because it was made by him) in major circumstances, and then let me and the rest of the staff handle further contact. It's just so basic.
What ever the mistake was, I have no doubt they have identified the problem and changed the way they are doing things to ensure it doesn't happen again.
carolina_corpsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 12:10 AM   #448
Three and Out
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 20500
Three and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot material

Hilinski has known for a month we were taking 2 QB in the 2019 class. He also knows that heís our #1 guy. Muschamp had previously told him we need to take 2 because we donít that something might happen to RH.
Three and Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 01:06 AM   #449
rt3891
ISLAND COCK

Male

CockyCash: 3000
rt3891 is crowing loudlyrt3891 is crowing loudlyrt3891 is crowing loudlyrt3891 is crowing loudlyrt3891 is crowing loudlyrt3891 is crowing loudlyrt3891 is crowing loudlyrt3891 is crowing loudlyrt3891 is crowing loudlyrt3891 is crowing loudlyrt3891 is crowing loudly

Ryan is 100% committed, nothing burger here folks.
rt3891 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 08:55 AM   #450
CockNJersey
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 5533
CockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt3891 View Post
Ryan is 100% committed, nothing burger here folks.
Not entirely accurate assessment. It was a pretty bad blunder by our coaching staff not to communicate with Hilinski about the other QB offer. I mean, the kidís entire family is moving across the country for him to play football here and it didnt dawn on anyone to let him know? Big mistake. Thankfulky Ryan is a level-headed and mature kid. It was a bad mistake, but hopefully they have learned from it.

I wouldnít say thereís a crack in the relationship, but it doesnt feel quite as solid as after he first comitted, when it essentially sounded like he was going to shut down his recruiting. Now he says heís keeping these other offers in his back pocket just in case.
CockNJersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 09:26 AM   #451
wincocks84
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 5775
wincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot material

I don't like that he went to twitter about it. I'm not sure what happened, but I find it hard to believe that a kid would expect us to just completely stop recruiting because he commits. I don't care if we take 4 Qb's. Muschamp is responsible for our program and naturally you wouldn't put all your eggs in one basket.

Last edited by wincocks84; 05-17-2018 at 09:53 AM..
wincocks84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 09:52 AM   #452
CockNJersey
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 5533
CockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincocks84 View Post
I don't like that it he took to twitter about it. I'm not sure what happened, but I find it hard to believe that a kid would expect us to just completely stop recruiting because he commits. I don't care if we take 4 Qb's. Muschamp is responsible for our program and naturally you wouldn't put all your eggs in one basket.
In this whole kerfuffle, that’s the least concerning thing to me. Would i do it thatvway? No. But Im in my 40s and have never used Twitter. He’s a junior in high school. He gets a pass. Our coaches do not. The fact that it didn’t occur to anyone to just reach out to our highest profile recruit in years, and at the most high profile position on the team, just to give him a heads up is pretty bad. It doesn’t look like it will cost us in this case, but a pretty bad oversight nonetheless.

If you you committted to play somewhere 2,400 miles away, your family was actually moving with you and your brother was going to med school tbere, youd have “what the f***” moment too when you read online theyd offered someone else at your position. In part becaise we dont NEED 2 qbs next year.
CockNJersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 10:06 AM   #453
wincocks84
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 5775
wincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CockNJersey View Post

If you you committted to play somewhere 2,400 miles away, your family was actually moving with you and your brother was going to med school tbere, youd have ďwhat the f***Ē moment too when you read online theyd offered someone else at your position. In part becaise we dont NEED 2 qbs next year.

Yeah I guess you're right. I just wish kids these days had more common sense instead of immediately thinking worse case scenario. But I get the initial resentment.
wincocks84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 02:47 PM   #454
sosfan812
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 5500
sosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot material

Quote:
So word on the back channel is that we had a "lower level" member of our recruiting staff take a job at another school. That person was in charge of keeping in touch with certain recruits, including Hilinski. This includes txting or emailing them when we are about to offer other players. Apparently they were supposed to contact Ryan about the QB offer(s) but did not do it before they left. This is where the miscommunication happened. Muschamp called Hilinski and explained what happened and we're good again.

I also heard that Muschamp was PISSED that this fell through the cracks.
Shouldn't you give credit to scrooster from secrant if you're going to use his info mr. Lonnie utah? LOL

P.S who by the way has some of the best insider info I've seen with Gamecock posters
sosfan812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 02:53 PM   #455
Lonnie
Band

Male

CockyCash: 2001
Lonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by sosfan812 View Post
Shouldn't you give credit to scrooster from secrant if you're going to use his info mr. Lonnie utah? LOL

P.S who by the way has some of the best insider info I've seen with Gamecock posters
That's where it came from.

Since many over there don't care for this site (and vice versa) I try so be somewhat discrete in how data is cross pollinated between the two sites.

IMHO, both sites are good sources of info, even if the personalities of the sites and the posters are different.

Lonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 03:06 PM   #456
AndersonCock
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 3000
AndersonCock is USC mascot materialAndersonCock is USC mascot materialAndersonCock is USC mascot materialAndersonCock is USC mascot materialAndersonCock is USC mascot materialAndersonCock is USC mascot materialAndersonCock is USC mascot materialAndersonCock is USC mascot materialAndersonCock is USC mascot materialAndersonCock is USC mascot materialAndersonCock is USC mascot material

Shut this conversation down. Hillinski is committed to us until he isnít. We wonít get that kid from Michigan anyway.
AndersonCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 03:54 PM   #457
sosfan812
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 5500
sosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot material

Quote:
That's where it came from.

Since many over there don't care for this site (and vice versa) I try so be somewhat discrete in how data is cross pollinated between the two sites.

IMHO, both sites are good sources of info, even if the personalities of the sites and the posters are different.
I agree they both are good but normally scrooster gives you info a week before it comes out. Most posters there that hate cockytalk have been banned from here.
sosfan812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 07:57 PM   #458
Three and Out
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 20500
Three and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot material

I know some of you have been a little concerned about Hilinski thinking about going elsewhere. Take a look at what he said to a tater poster on twitter.

Big Bo
@ryan_hilinski
Not YET... and itís not all about championships. Heís developed young men that can go into the world and make an impact on those around them! Thatís way more valuable to me.
Kelly Ferrell
@Palmetto_Bowl
Replying to @GamecockAngelia @USCguy90 and 2 others
What Muschamp achieved as a head coach? No conference championships, no national championships, really a whole lot of nothing. A lot of hype & no results. If you wanna brag cause your name gets mentioned thatís your choice. I know coots love participation trophies smhhh
Three and Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 08:01 PM   #459
Jim Lahey
I am the liquor

Male

CockyCash: 760
Jim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three and Out View Post
I know some of you have been a little concerned about Hilinski thinking about going elsewhere. Take a look at what he said to a tater poster on twitter.

Big Bo
@ryan_hilinski
Not YET... and itís not all about championships. Heís developed young men that can go into the world and make an impact on those around them! Thatís way more valuable to me.
Kelly Ferrell
@Palmetto_Bowl
Replying to @GamecockAngelia @USCguy90 and 2 others
What Muschamp achieved as a head coach? No conference championships, no national championships, really a whole lot of nothing. A lot of hype & no results. If you wanna brag cause your name gets mentioned thatís your choice. I know coots love participation trophies smhhh

That tater is shaking his head head head
Old 05-22-2018, 11:04 PM   #460
cockymac
I was the white shadow.

Male

CockyCash: 6200
cockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot material

This high school dude seems to be more level headed than most posters on here.
cockymac is offline   Reply With Quote