CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > The Water Cooler > Carolina Eats

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Captain9Dragons
rt3891
Three and Out
SanAntonioCock
wildwes
Ace Dilcock
Flameout12
FurmanCock
ShutTheSuccop
ELCID14
Dickerson medically (1204)
SEC Media Days
Dickerson medically clear
2019 - Cameron Smith
Discussion: 2019 Recruiti
Traeger Grill - Prime Day
2019 - Jammie Robinson
Question About Record Pla
Gamecock Jordan brand?
National Hot Dog Day
Jovaughn Gwyn is strong

Old 06-12-2018, 09:41 AM   #41
hank scorpio
Yellow Bellied Sapsucker

Male

CockyCash: 3300400
hank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot material
Default Re: Scott's Bar-B-Que/Lewis Bar-B-Que

I went to the one in Charleston this past Saturday evening after a long day in the sun. Was a little disappointed that they were out of pork and chicken, but the ribs were fantastic. He has two types of sauce, Rodney's sauce and other sauce. I personally like the other Sauce better than Rodney sauce but they were both good. Can't get a good read on the place without trying the pork, so I'll have to go back another time.
Old 06-12-2018, 09:45 AM   #42
GamecockTyler14
Walk On

Male

CockyCash: 500
GamecockTyler14 has earned his spursGamecockTyler14 has earned his spursGamecockTyler14 has earned his spursGamecockTyler14 has earned his spursGamecockTyler14 has earned his spursGamecockTyler14 has earned his spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by InletCock1989 View Post
Honestly, people down here donít even get BBQ from Rosey Scottís; hell we prefer Big Dís down here. Rodney isnít really greeted and liked down here, which is why he went to Charleston.
*I. FIFY. There are a lot of people in the Hemingway/Johnsonville area that get BBQ from Scott's. I like the BBQ from Big D's, but it's not even close to Scott's IMO.
Old 06-12-2018, 09:44 PM   #43
hank scorpio
Yellow Bellied Sapsucker

Male

hank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot material

I was also shocked to find out that Rodney does all his barbecue on dozens of Weber Q1200 portable liquid propane grills. The flavor he gets comes from these high quality, very expensive, yet conveniently portable grills is incredible.

You too can own a Rodney Scott replica Weber Q1200 for a very low price over at cocky swap. How exciting!!
Old 06-13-2018, 08:58 AM   #44
dreammachine
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 10500
dreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by hank scorpio View Post
I was also shocked to find out that Rodney does all his barbecue on dozens of Weber Q1200 portable liquid propane grills. The flavor he gets comes from these high quality, very expensive, yet conveniently portable grills is incredible.

You too can own a Rodney Scott replica Weber Q1200 for a very low price over at cocky swap. How exciting!!

Somehow the large - wood - burning - covered - Steel - cooking pits - that Rodney uses look a little bit different than your Weber????

dreammachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 10:45 AM   #45
longhaul
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 2000
longhaul is USC mascot materiallonghaul is USC mascot materiallonghaul is USC mascot materiallonghaul is USC mascot materiallonghaul is USC mascot materiallonghaul is USC mascot materiallonghaul is USC mascot materiallonghaul is USC mascot materiallonghaul is USC mascot materiallonghaul is USC mascot materiallonghaul is USC mascot material

Inlet seems more like you have an ax to grind with Rodney. The cue is very good and I don't see how anyone could say it is not good. The best is obviously a personal preference. I am from Charleston and personally am not a fan of the mustard based stuff that we get in a lot of places. My people think I am crazy, but it is just not my thing. I like to be able to taste the meat a little more and feel like at times the mustard base overpowers it. I actually really like plain cue if it is done right and I am able to taste the different smoke flavors.
longhaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 10:56 AM   #46
cack
ONE NINE 3

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Homecoming King 2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Signature Fark Off Winner: Award given for winning a CockyTalk Fark Off - Given for: Winning the Farkoff Hey Beer Man!: Award given to the poster we most want to have a beer with - Given for: being voted the person CockyTalk most wants to have a beer with 
CockyCash: 20200
cack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot material

The fact that Rodney just won a James Beard Award pretty much ends this debate ...

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/liv...210780499.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoovecock View Post
I agree with Cack.
cack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 12:38 PM   #47
86 GradCock
Spring Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 2290
86 GradCock is USC mascot material86 GradCock is USC mascot material86 GradCock is USC mascot material86 GradCock is USC mascot material86 GradCock is USC mascot material86 GradCock is USC mascot material86 GradCock is USC mascot material86 GradCock is USC mascot material86 GradCock is USC mascot material86 GradCock is USC mascot material86 GradCock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by InletCock1989 View Post
Honestly, people down here donít even get BBQ from Rosey Scottís; hell we prefer Big Dís down here. Rodney isnít really greeted and liked down here, which is why he went to Charleston.
Went to Rodney Scott's in Charleston about 2 months ago and it was excellent. My wife got mad at me because I ordered two meals for lunch, but I had to try both the pork and the ribs plus it gave the table extra sides. There was very little left and everyone agreed the ribs were awesome.

I popped my BBQ cherry at Big D's BBQ in Surfside. Other than a few pig pickin's early in life, Big D's was the only Q I ate and it became the standard. The location in Hemingway is the same family, so I am assuming it is similar. Big D's son, Russell, stills serves BBQ at a restaurant in Conway and it is as good as his dad used to cook. If I had to choose between Rodney's and Big D's, the latter would be it every time. The pork has a little more flavor (vinegar and pepper).
86 GradCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 02:09 PM   #48
ba55nec4r
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 500
ba55nec4r is USC mascot materialba55nec4r is USC mascot materialba55nec4r is USC mascot materialba55nec4r is USC mascot materialba55nec4r is USC mascot materialba55nec4r is USC mascot materialba55nec4r is USC mascot materialba55nec4r is USC mascot materialba55nec4r is USC mascot materialba55nec4r is USC mascot materialba55nec4r is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by cack View Post
The fact that Rodney just won a James Beard Award pretty much ends this debate ...

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/liv...210780499.html

There never was a real debate, Rodney cooks the best Q in SC hands down. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion but if you tried it in a blind test against all the others mentioned a majority would pick Rodney's regardless of what they say on a message board.
ba55nec4r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 02:25 PM   #49
Nureye
White helmets rule

Male

CockyCash: 5465
Nureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot material

I feel like Scott's BBQ is one of those things that only people with nuanced BBQ experience understand. It's best served room temp to cool. Best served with white bread and their sauce. Some people don't go for that.

I get why a lot of people would think it was just OK. People that like their ribs slathered in KC sauce for example probably think Scott's is just meh.

I don't. I think Scott's is great.

Also, even people in Columbia will tell you that mustard base sauce on pork is average. But it's unique to here. So, we own it. IMO mustard sauce is best on chicken, and great a dipping sauce. Prefer red vinegar sauce on pork.
Old 06-13-2018, 02:44 PM   #50
burr
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 200
burr is developing his combburr is developing his combburr is developing his combburr is developing his combburr is developing his combburr is developing his combburr is developing his combburr is developing his combburr is developing his combburr is developing his comb

Far as I know, real and original SC BBQ is CHOPPED, not pulled. am i right ?
burr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 03:24 PM   #51
uscgrad68
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 648
uscgrad68 is crowing loudlyuscgrad68 is crowing loudlyuscgrad68 is crowing loudlyuscgrad68 is crowing loudlyuscgrad68 is crowing loudlyuscgrad68 is crowing loudlyuscgrad68 is crowing loudlyuscgrad68 is crowing loudlyuscgrad68 is crowing loudlyuscgrad68 is crowing loudlyuscgrad68 is crowing loudly

I ate at Scott's and Lewis' in Charleston last week (Tuesday/Wednesday). The Briskitt at Lewis' was the best food I believe I have ever tasted. Scott's BBQ pork was also very good. If I go back to either in the near future, it will be Lewis'. Both are recommended.

Congratulations to Scott's on the chef award.
uscgrad68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 08:36 PM   #52
hank scorpio
Yellow Bellied Sapsucker

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by burr View Post
It is my opinion that you are not right. I would describe your post as wrong, incorrect, false, etc.
Old 06-13-2018, 09:38 PM   #53
gamecockphan
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 102200
gamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot material

Scott’s ribs are off the charts good. They are minimalist which make the technique and flavor shine through.

Lewis’ is excellent. The brisket is great and doesn’t need sauce but that green sauce of his is very tempting.
gamecockphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 11:22 AM   #54
dreammachine
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 10500
dreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot material

From what I have read in reviews about the Lewis Restaurant, I think that I would only go there for the brisket as it is not everyone that can cook that to perfection or as close as you can get it. Lewis has the Texas Experience to his style of brisket and I think that would give him the edge on anyone else trying to cook it around here.

My Bar-B-Que would be at Rodney Scott's, along with his great ribs and fixings. Plus Rodney is a cool dude and great to his customer base.
dreammachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 01:03 PM   #55
cack
ONE NINE 3

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Homecoming King 2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Signature Fark Off Winner: Award given for winning a CockyTalk Fark Off - Given for: Winning the Farkoff Hey Beer Man!: Award given to the poster we most want to have a beer with - Given for: being voted the person CockyTalk most wants to have a beer with 
CockyCash: 20200
cack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by burr View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by hank scorpio View Post
It is my opinion that you are not right. I would describe your post as wrong, incorrect, false, etc.
Hank would be correct. Chopped is more North Carolina than South Carolina. North Carolina is chopped with East Coast being more Vinegar based and West being more Ketchup based.

The problem is, South Carolina basically ditched its BBQ heritage so long ago that nobody really knows what it was/is anymore. Now that BBQ is "cool" we run out with all these slogans about "Birthplace of BBQ" but if you ask anybody what is SC BBQ the only thing we can answer is ... mustard base sauce

With Scott's being a 3rd generation, I would say they're probably the close to tradition as you'll find in SC ... therefore I would make the conclusion that SC BBQ is pulled whole hog with vinegar based sauce.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoovecock View Post
I agree with Cack.
cack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 10:20 PM   #56
CockRoche
ADIDAS

Male

CockyCash: 50600
CockRoche is USC mascot materialCockRoche is USC mascot materialCockRoche is USC mascot materialCockRoche is USC mascot materialCockRoche is USC mascot materialCockRoche is USC mascot materialCockRoche is USC mascot materialCockRoche is USC mascot materialCockRoche is USC mascot materialCockRoche is USC mascot materialCockRoche is USC mascot material

I'll keep on eating mustard AND vinegar in equal amounts when it's an option. It's a stupid argument anyway, one of the main ingredients in mustard IS vinegar.
Old 07-14-2018, 04:01 PM   #57
pitchcock
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 29700000
pitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot material

I went to Scott's late Thursday afternoon, my first time there.

My impressions? I could smell smoke when I got of of the car. Nice place. Pretty fair crowd, it was growing while I was there.

I went simple for my first try, got the pulled pork plate, cole slaw, tater salad, sweet tea, and a bag of pork skins for later.

To me, the pork wasn't anything special. In fact, it was disappointing. No taste of smoke whatsoever, in fact my impression was it was cooked over gas. Almost makes me think he's doing so much volume he may be starting on wood, then finishing on gas to speed the process. Quite honestly, I've had equal pork at Dukes, which is only special because it's a buffet.

I did see some ribs a few people had, the ribs looked fantastic. I'll give him a second chance and try ribs next time.

Tried the pork 3 ways, naked, with "Rodney Sauce", and "Other" sauce. The Other sauce was the best, the Rodney didn't have enough spice. The little bits of pepper in the bottle kept clogging up the tip of the squeeze bottle.

The pork skins were on the expensive side ( about $5 for a small bag), but were very good, nice spice mix on them. I'd definitely get them again.

Cole slaw and tater salad were basic, tasted good...but it's hard to screw up either.

Next try will be ribs with collards and maybe mac n cheese.
pitchcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 04:04 PM   #58
InletCock1989
5th Year Senior

Male

CockyCash: 5236
InletCock1989 is USC mascot materialInletCock1989 is USC mascot materialInletCock1989 is USC mascot materialInletCock1989 is USC mascot materialInletCock1989 is USC mascot materialInletCock1989 is USC mascot materialInletCock1989 is USC mascot materialInletCock1989 is USC mascot materialInletCock1989 is USC mascot materialInletCock1989 is USC mascot materialInletCock1989 is USC mascot material

Is it weird that nobody from here actually eats there BBQ?
InletCock1989 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 04:05 PM   #59
InletCock1989
5th Year Senior

Male

CockyCash: 5236
InletCock1989 is USC mascot materialInletCock1989 is USC mascot materialInletCock1989 is USC mascot materialInletCock1989 is USC mascot materialInletCock1989 is USC mascot materialInletCock1989 is USC mascot materialInletCock1989 is USC mascot materialInletCock1989 is USC mascot materialInletCock1989 is USC mascot materialInletCock1989 is USC mascot materialInletCock1989 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitchcock View Post
I went to Scott's late Thursday afternoon, my first time there.

My impressions? I could smell smoke when I got of of the car. Nice place. Pretty fair crowd, it was growing while I was there.

I went simple for my first try, got the pulled pork plate, cole slaw, tater salad, sweet tea, and a bag of pork skins for later.

To me, the pork wasn't anything special. In fact, it was disappointing. No taste of smoke whatsoever, in fact my impression was it was cooked over gas. Almost makes me think he's doing so much volume he may be starting on wood, then finishing on gas to speed the process. Quite honestly, I've had equal pork at Dukes, which is only special because it's a buffet.

I did see some ribs a few people had, the ribs looked fantastic. I'll give him a second chance and try ribs next time.

Tried the pork 3 ways, naked, with "Rodney Sauce", and "Other" sauce. The Other sauce was the best, the Rodney didn't have enough spice. The little bits of pepper in the bottle kept clogging up the tip of the squeeze bottle.

The pork skins were on the expensive side ( about $5 for a small bag), but were very good, nice spice mix on them. I'd definitely get them again.

Cole slaw and tater salad were basic, tasted good...but it's hard to screw up either.

Next try will be ribs with collards and maybe mac n cheese.
You want some good BBQ and collards? Big Dís between Hway and Jville.
InletCock1989 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 06:22 PM   #60
sandstorm2001
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 50700
sandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot material

To update my initial review from page one:

I've been back to Rodney Scott's a couple times in the last few months and had a much better experience compared to my first visit. I went pretty soon after they opened my first time and I think they just still didn't have it together. I haven't made it back to Lewis's but thats because of price and lack of sides, though I do think they may have added Mac and cheese to the menu since my first visit.