CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Noon kickoff for Ole (535)
I'VE GOT SOMETHING T (468)
QB Play vs. WR Play (19)
FBI Charges of Fraud &
2019 WBB - HoopGurlz (ESP
The difference in our 5 s
Zion Williamson pay to pl
QB Play vs. WR Play
Game time vs Tennessee
Bentley or Scarnecchia ?
What Really Drags the Exc
Gator Fan's Perspective o
2018 Signee - Tyquan John

Old 08-10-2018, 11:36 AM   #21
SC Gamecock
IT IS WHAT IT IS

Male

CockyCash: 200
SC Gamecock is USC mascot materialSC Gamecock is USC mascot materialSC Gamecock is USC mascot materialSC Gamecock is USC mascot materialSC Gamecock is USC mascot materialSC Gamecock is USC mascot materialSC Gamecock is USC mascot materialSC Gamecock is USC mascot materialSC Gamecock is USC mascot materialSC Gamecock is USC mascot materialSC Gamecock is USC mascot material
Default Re: Dan Werner Media availability (8/9/2018)

It’s not the plays/scheme/concept itself that caused a stagnant offense. It’s a copy cat league everybody barrows. Virtually every team is running the same passing concepts its just when and where they choose to run the play. There are slight variations of things in run game game concepts, clemson, bama, Ohio State and a few other teams have been pretty inventive in that area. By and large it’s not the plays in the playbook that are making the real difference. It’s knowing what you’re offense does well and doing more of that, introducing some new schemes that put pressure on the defense (up tempo, More RPOs), and coaching up fundamentals/eliminating any bad habits or tendencies that’s attributing to poor play.

To be honest I’m not sure what Ropers deal was. I do know that all off season muschamp made an effort to say we will be going more uptempo and we didn’t get as much of it as expected. We also didn’t continue to go back to things that were working when they were actually working, and instead of doing what Jake was good at; he tried to mold the offense around what roper was good at. Which was the opposite of what he said he was going to do. I guess there’s a fine balance there but the whole non sense with jakes foot stance? Really? Roper was really THAT picky? That was the final straw for me. That showed him trying to push his agenda onto the offense and making Jake do something he wasn’t Comfortable with.

There was a video that was on jakes twitter for awhile inside the meeting room, and you hear an analyst (the guy with the glasses) say “why in the hell is roper asking the TE to come all the way across the formation to pick up that block?” It’s like they too had lost faith in what they were doing, and knew from the film thst what they were doing wasn’t making sense. I think roper would’ve been an astounding playcaller back around 2003-2008. I wish I knew a little bit more about why it didn’t work out for him. Maybe he was too technical? Perry orth use to say he was like a professor. I think the consensus was there was too much thinking taking place pre and post snap, and if a guy as cerebral as Jake couldn’t get it down, then who was going to?
SC Gamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 12:02 PM   #22
CoverTwo
If C2 doesn't trust you..

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Gamecock View Post
I wish I knew a little bit more about why it didn’t work out for him. Maybe he was too technical? Perry orth use to say he was like a professor. I think the consensus was there was too much thinking taking place pre and post snap, and if a guy as cerebral as Jake couldn’t get it down, then who was going to?
Thaddeus Lewis, Sean Renfree, and Anthony Boone all did pretty damn good.

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan
CoverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 12:06 PM   #23
Master Bedroom
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 10500
Master Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot material

I don't think Jake is very cerebral though. I mean he is a "student of the game" and puts in work, but he is more of an instinct and feel type player. Those Duke guys on the other hand
Master Bedroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 01:14 PM   #24
SC Gamecock
IT IS WHAT IT IS

Male

CockyCash: 200
SC Gamecock is USC mascot materialSC Gamecock is USC mascot materialSC Gamecock is USC mascot materialSC Gamecock is USC mascot materialSC Gamecock is USC mascot materialSC Gamecock is USC mascot materialSC Gamecock is USC mascot materialSC Gamecock is USC mascot materialSC Gamecock is USC mascot materialSC Gamecock is USC mascot materialSC Gamecock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post
Thaddeus Lewis, Sean Renfree, and Anthony Boone all did pretty damn good.
Ok, so it wasn't Roper? It was Jake Bentley? Genuinely curious your opinion. Cause I don't know why Roper didn't work out. It's purely speculation.

Do you think Cutcliffe had something/more to do with their success? Or the fact that those 3 were all just smarter than jake? I guess smarts> talent in ropers offense? What's the point you're making.
SC Gamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 01:41 PM   #25
LegalCock
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 8000
LegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot material

I think either Roper is just a good QB coach, good at planning on the board but not at getting a flow, being decisive and making adjustments and/or handling pressure/leading the entire offensive group of players and coaches; or he is mediocre and that was covered up by working with one of the best offensive coaches in the history of CFB for the vast majority of his career.

Doesn't really matter to me now, but you gotta' ding the head coach for hiring him twice (and for potentially not learning that lesson about not hiring the guy who only worked for THE guy with the Boise bust).

Last edited by LegalCock; 08-10-2018 at 02:02 PM..
LegalCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 01:50 PM   #26
CoverTwo

Male

CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Gamecock View Post
Ok, so it wasn't Roper? It was Jake Bentley? Genuinely curious your opinion. Cause I don't know why Roper didn't work out. It's purely speculation.

Do you think Cutcliffe had something/more to do with their success? Or the fact that those 3 were all just smarter than jake? I guess smarts> talent in ropers offense? What's the point you're making.
I think we are going to find out the answers this season. All I'm saying is that I'm not 100% confident that Roper/Cutcliffe's system was the problem. Its proven to work and Duke had 3 really, really good Quarterbacks put up huge numbers in it for a long period of time. It may just end up being that Jake just wasn't a good fit for it for one reason or another. However if Jake struggles in this more simplistic uptempo system that he has been in most of his playing career pre-Roper then maybe its time to start questioning him.

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan
Old 08-10-2018, 02:44 PM   #27
longhaul
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 2000
longhaul is USC mascot materiallonghaul is USC mascot materiallonghaul is USC mascot materiallonghaul is USC mascot materiallonghaul is USC mascot materiallonghaul is USC mascot materiallonghaul is USC mascot materiallonghaul is USC mascot materiallonghaul is USC mascot materiallonghaul is USC mascot materiallonghaul is USC mascot material

I think that system seems to be more successful when Cutcliffe is involved. I don't think Roper ever had a good feel for play calling.
longhaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 02:50 PM   #28
lakemurraycock
Starter

CockyCash: 5357
lakemurraycock is USC mascot materiallakemurraycock is USC mascot materiallakemurraycock is USC mascot materiallakemurraycock is USC mascot materiallakemurraycock is USC mascot materiallakemurraycock is USC mascot materiallakemurraycock is USC mascot materiallakemurraycock is USC mascot materiallakemurraycock is USC mascot materiallakemurraycock is USC mascot materiallakemurraycock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhaul View Post
I think that system seems to be more successful when Cutcliffe is involved. I don't think Roper ever had a good feel for play calling.
X2
lakemurraycock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 03:15 PM   #29
cack
ONE NINE 3

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Homecoming King 2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Signature Fark Off Winner: Award given for winning a CockyTalk Fark Off - Given for: Winning the Farkoff Hey Beer Man!: Award given to the poster we most want to have a beer with - Given for: being voted the person CockyTalk most wants to have a beer with 
CockyCash: 20200
cack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot material

Quote:
I think we are going to find out the answers this season. All I'm saying is that I'm not 100% confident that Roper/Cutcliffe's system was the problem. Its proven to work and Duke had 3 really, really good Quarterbacks put up huge numbers in it for a long period of time. It may just end up being that Jake just wasn't a good fit for it for one reason or another. However if Jake struggles in this more simplistic uptempo system that he has been in most of his playing career pre-Roper then maybe its time to start questioning him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoovecock View Post
I agree with Cack.
cack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 03:40 PM   #30
CoverTwo

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by cack View Post
I think its a fair statement. He is in his 3rd year with the program. If he struggles, it might be time to re-evaluate the Quarterback position. I don't think there is anything shocking there.

Old 08-10-2018, 03:51 PM   #31
Flameout12
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

Quote:
These numbers are telling to me. I see an obvious trend, and it's connected to coaching/offense. This is why I was wishing we'd get G.A. back, but I'm digging having Dan on staff.

Passing efficiency comps: Current season with 5 previous seasons/2 different QB coaches (Roper v. G.A. Mangus).

Jake ’17 was:

.........Duke/UF.....................................USC
’10…..S. Renfree 120.7..................Stephen Garcia 148.7
’11….S. Renfree 126.51...................Connor 148.31
’12….. S. Renfree 136.52.................Connor 158.07
’13….. A. Boone 128.2....................Connor 162.9
’14…… J. Driskell 103.5...................Dylan 140.6

Avg....123.086....................151.716

Recruiting: Renfree 3* Boone 3* Driskell 4*
Garcia 4* Shaw 3* Thompson 2*

http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/f...ndividual/8/p2

2010 http://web1.ncaa.org/mfb/natlRank.js...&div=IA&dest=O
http://web1.ncaa.org/mfb/natlRank.js...&div=IA&dest=O
http://web1.ncaa.org/mfb/natlRank.js...&div=IA&dest=O

Multiple years
http://stats.ncaa.org/rankings/change_sport_year_div
Flameout12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 10:43 PM   #32
LegalCock
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 8000
LegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot material

A couple other pretty good qbs didn’t thrive under “rope’s system” one is playing in the nfl and another is going to be likely the first qb taken in this years draft.
LegalCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 07:12 AM   #33
Legalman72
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 26147483647
Legalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot material

IMO, Roper is to Cutcliffe, as dude who carries Buffett’s bag is to Warren Buffett.
Legalman72 is online now   Reply With Quote