CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
scfanz
*** #25 USC WBB (5-4 (957)
Zia Cooke 43 points, (391)
Starting Lineup Pred (294)
Deebo
Vote for Hilinski
*** #25 USC WBB (5-4) @ P
What's for dinner tonight
Discussion: 2019 Recruiti
2019 WBB - HoopGurlz (ESP
2019 - Matthew Bedford -
The Betting Window is OPE
2020 men's basketball rec
Belk Bowl

Old 10-12-2018, 10:07 AM   #141
NYSC
Walk On

Male

CockyCash: 500
NYSC is making other chickens nervousNYSC is making other chickens nervousNYSC is making other chickens nervousNYSC is making other chickens nervousNYSC is making other chickens nervousNYSC is making other chickens nervousNYSC is making other chickens nervous
Default Re: Jake Bentley or Bust

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowcutta View Post
i dont know if this was necessarily muschamp's reasoning but my guess is he felt that if scar got the start performed well and we won he'd have no choice but to go with scar for the rest of the season. muschamp doesnt want to be put in a position where he basically has to keep jake on the bench without giving him another shot first and overall doesnt want to be in the position where he goes into next season not knowing what he has in jake. we have a healthy backup qb coming off a great game that i dont believe cwm will hesitate to put in there if jake is ineffective.

Yes! Agreed.
NYSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 10:07 AM   #142
JTsecSC
Jon Gruden's lovechild

Male

JTsecSC is developing his combJTsecSC is developing his combJTsecSC is developing his combJTsecSC is developing his combJTsecSC is developing his combJTsecSC is developing his combJTsecSC is developing his combJTsecSC is developing his combJTsecSC is developing his combJTsecSC is developing his comb

This discussion is sooo reminiscent of Shaw vs. Thompson, except:
- Bentley is not nearly as polished as Shaw and his struggles are more apparent and influential on the win column.
- Scar doesn't have NEARLY the body of work for the wild claims some on here are making (unlike the dozens of passes we had seen by Thompson).

I think the current situation is both more and less muddy than the previous one, if that makes sense. Bentley is probably better and Scar probably worse than they are getting credit for -- but that doesn't really speak toward which would be the better start. Call me fickle, but I would hate to be making the call prior to taking to the field Saturday.
JTsecSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 10:13 AM   #143
NYSC
Walk On

Male

NYSC is making other chickens nervousNYSC is making other chickens nervousNYSC is making other chickens nervousNYSC is making other chickens nervousNYSC is making other chickens nervousNYSC is making other chickens nervousNYSC is making other chickens nervous

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTsecSC View Post
This discussion is sooo reminiscent of Shaw vs. Thompson, except:

- Bentley is not nearly as polished as Shaw and his struggles are more apparent and influential on the win column.

- Scar doesn't have NEARLY the body of work for the wild claims some on here are making (unlike the dozens of passes we had seen by Thompson).

I think the current situation is both more and less muddy than the previous one, if that makes sense. Bentley is probably better and Scar probably worse than they are getting credit for -- but that doesn't really speak toward which would be the better start. Call me fickle, but I would hate to be making the call prior to taking to the field Saturday.

But the beauty of going with Scar is if he didnít live up to the new hype put Bentley back in and stop the controversy
Old 10-12-2018, 10:14 AM   #144
NYSC
Walk On

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legalman72 View Post
Correct. Thatís how humans make advancement, by showing courage. Thatís how you knock off top teams, too. Trust your linemen. Watch the UGA game, even the Kentucky game. Clean pocket regularly. Step up and go through progressions. A good QB canít play scared.

This is a strong point and worthy of a thread is Jake scrambling or running?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-12-2018, 10:23 AM   #145
kidrobinski
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 1320
kidrobinski is USC mascot materialkidrobinski is USC mascot materialkidrobinski is USC mascot materialkidrobinski is USC mascot materialkidrobinski is USC mascot materialkidrobinski is USC mascot materialkidrobinski is USC mascot materialkidrobinski is USC mascot materialkidrobinski is USC mascot materialkidrobinski is USC mascot materialkidrobinski is USC mascot material

Quote:
Correct. That’s how humans make advancement, by showing courage. That’s how you knock off top teams, too. Trust your linemen. Watch the UGA game, even the Kentucky game. Clean pocket regularly. Step up and go through progressions. A good QB can’t play scared.
Yeah. Now watch the Georgia and Kentucky games looking at the RECEIVERS if you want to see what playing scared looks like. It’s a bit tough going thru progressions when your receivers aren’t particularly killing themselves to work themselves open and then get gator arms when you DO go their way. That door swings both ways; two to tango.
kidrobinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 10:56 AM   #146
JDStud6
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 15065
JDStud6 is USC mascot materialJDStud6 is USC mascot materialJDStud6 is USC mascot materialJDStud6 is USC mascot materialJDStud6 is USC mascot materialJDStud6 is USC mascot materialJDStud6 is USC mascot materialJDStud6 is USC mascot materialJDStud6 is USC mascot materialJDStud6 is USC mascot materialJDStud6 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Correct. Thatís how humans make advancement, by showing courage. Thatís how you knock off top teams, too. Trust your linemen. Watch the UGA game, even the Kentucky game. Clean pocket regularly. Step up and go through progressions. A good QB canít play scared.
Jake didn't lose the UGA game, certainly

JD
JDStud6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 11:10 AM   #147
Legalman72
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 19800000000
Legalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot material

I’m not blaming just Jake. Never have. Read the title of the thread. There are other threads about WRs, etc.

FTR, I hope Jake kills it this week. I hope he kills it every week and starts beating good teams. I truly do.
Legalman72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 11:17 AM   #148
Wisercock
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 20000
Wisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Iím not blaming just Jake. Never have. Read the title of the thread. There are other threads about WRs, etc.

FTR, I hope Jake kills it this week. I hope he kills it every week and starts beating good teams. I truly do.
In all fairness he can't do it alone. The rest of the team has to step up too.
Old 10-12-2018, 07:31 PM   #149
kingoftheroost
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 100014000
kingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot material

Who has a better pass defense: Missouri or Vanderbilt? It's a sincere question. I ask because of the teams the two QBs have each faced, these seem to be the most comparable.

If it's Missouri, then it seems clear Scarnecchia outplayed Bentley, but the difference in venue must also be taken into consideration.

If it's Vanderbilt, then Bentley is not nearly as bad as some want us to believe. Has he struggled this year? I think the answer is clearly yes, but he has faced tougher competition than Scarnecchia has.
Old 10-12-2018, 07:38 PM   #150
TaySC
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 873262
TaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingoftheroost View Post
Who has a better pass defense: Missouri or Vanderbilt? It's a sincere question. I ask because of the teams the two QBs have each faced, these seem to be the most comparable.

If it's Missouri, then it seems clear Scarnecchia outplayed Bentley, but the difference in venue must also be taken into consideration.

If it's Vanderbilt, then Bentley is not nearly as bad as some want us to believe. Has he struggled this year? I think the answer is clearly yes, but he has faced tougher competition than Scarnecchia has.

MO = 117
Vandy = tied for 80th

That is if you go by passing yards per game against their defenses.

Ole Miss will be the worst pass defense that we play all year.... they are ranked 124th out of 130.
TaySC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 08:13 PM   #151
roosterdude21
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 3211819568
roosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot material

Lots of dropped passes. I don't recall a team in recent memory that has had more dropped passes than our team this year. Or, maybe they just stand out more because they were drops at crucial moments. Bentley does have his faults, sure, every QB does, but the drops aren't helping.
roosterdude21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 08:57 PM   #152
crow0328
4-Star

Male

crow0328 is developing his combcrow0328 is developing his combcrow0328 is developing his combcrow0328 is developing his combcrow0328 is developing his combcrow0328 is developing his combcrow0328 is developing his combcrow0328 is developing his comb

Bentley is not a great qb just average. Bentley should start but on a short leach. This is a big game and Bentley is known to chock in big games. I wish our coaches could develope quarterbacks. Maybe Joyner should get a look.
crow0328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 09:00 PM   #153
11SWU10
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 1120
11SWU10 is crowing loudly11SWU10 is crowing loudly11SWU10 is crowing loudly11SWU10 is crowing loudly11SWU10 is crowing loudly11SWU10 is crowing loudly11SWU10 is crowing loudly11SWU10 is crowing loudly11SWU10 is crowing loudly11SWU10 is crowing loudly11SWU10 is crowing loudly

I like both kids. It is Muschamp"s job and he has the most to loose.
If we block well for the run game and tackle well on "D" we win.
Win first, play both if possible.
Just win.
11SWU10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 09:07 PM   #154
rt3891
ISLAND COCK

Male

CockyCash: 3000
rt3891 is crowing loudlyrt3891 is crowing loudlyrt3891 is crowing loudlyrt3891 is crowing loudlyrt3891 is crowing loudlyrt3891 is crowing loudlyrt3891 is crowing loudlyrt3891 is crowing loudlyrt3891 is crowing loudlyrt3891 is crowing loudlyrt3891 is crowing loudly

Jake is not a bust if we win tomorrow.
rt3891 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 10:19 PM   #155
gotrice?
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 20020
gotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to gotrice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYSC View Post
But the beauty of going with Scar is if he didnít live up to the new hype put Bentley back in and stop the controversy
Well if I remember correctly Spurrier didn't do that in the Shaw/Thompson controversy he just kept going Shaw despite the fans and it worked out pretty well. Any coach who worries about what fans are saying is an idiot. So you're saying Muschamp should be an idiot and start Scar strictly because there is a vocal segment of the fan base pushing it? He's starting the guy who he thinks gives him the best chance to win, period.
gotrice? is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 03:48 PM   #156
Cocky2001
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 5400
Cocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocky2001 View Post
Duwayne Johnson lost his starting job as a junior to Warren Sapp a freshman due to injury...The Rock went into acting and Sapp to the NFL...

The question is wrong here though...Scar won with zero interceptions...Jake is 1-7 against ranked teams and has ints all over the place.

Here is the question since Jake is starting this week, "What is the over/under for the first pick 6 this week?"

I want to be down for before the 10:28 mark of the second quarter
OK, Jake didn't throw his traditional 'pick-6' yesterday with the defender catching the ball and going untouched to the endzone for the 6. But throwing a pic in the endzone that keeps 6 off of our side of the scoreboard should count as an unconventional pick-6. I believe that all of us would agree that we were on our way to scoring a TD on that drive. At worst, it would be a pick-3.

Wonder what Vegas would think about this? FTR this was in the first quarter so time isn't an issue here.
to come true." Bodhi.
Cocky2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 03:53 PM   #157
Cocky2001
Two Deep

Male

Cocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotrice? View Post
Well if I remember correctly Spurrier didn't do that in the Shaw/Thompson controversy he just kept going Shaw despite the fans and it worked out pretty well. Any coach who worries about what fans are saying is an idiot. So you're saying Muschamp should be an idiot and start Scar strictly because there is a vocal segment of the fan base pushing it? He's starting the guy who he thinks gives him the best chance to win, period.
First off, Bent is no Connor Shaw.

Secondly, Go back and take a look at the Clemson game and the Outback
Bowl that season. Shaw didn't play at all in the Clemson game and Thompson was the QB got the W against Michigan.
to come true." Bodhi.
Old 10-14-2018, 03:58 PM   #158
Cocky2001
Two Deep

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt3891 View Post
Jake is not a bust if we win tomorrow.
What is he now?

I would argue that he isn't a 'bust', but he isn't a messiah at QB either...or a Moses...or a Noah...or a Joshua...he's just a kid playing QB that would have benefitted greatly from being sat down at the start of the game yesterday.

This was a game that we should have won. And we would have won with Scar.
to come true." Bodhi.
Old 10-14-2018, 04:00 PM   #159
Master Bedroom
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 10500
Master Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot material

How difficult is it for McClendon to call plays with this offense in the first quarter? And everytime this team wins the toss and takes the ball, that is also a coaching fail
Master Bedroom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 04:05 PM   #160
The Yancey
Grumpy Old Fart

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 
CockyCash: 4751350
The Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot material

We be busted

I miss Old Cocky Talk

The Yancey is offline   Reply With Quote