CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
CockNJersey
thekob
Flameout12
BringBackGarcia
Flips
Lonnie
Wisercock
LegalCock
JDStud6
SC Gamecock
Cause of WR issues? (518)
Worst case scenario (427)
Luck ran out yesterd (423)
Serious Question to (332)
Where are the tight (304)
Man run over by lawn (295)
Gator Fan's Perspect (237)
The Chefs vs the Pat (210)
The critique of the (202)
Thoughts/Prayers App (188)
Bentley or Scarnecchia ?
The critique of the offen
Bowl eligible?
Bowen declares for NBA dr
Serious Question to our f
2019 Commitment - Ryan Hi
Tennesee Game Time....
Battling Apathy
Attendance Saturday vs Te
Current State Of Gamecock

Old 10-12-2018, 08:29 AM   #1
CockNJersey
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 5533
CockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot material
Default Run defense

From the sounds of it, the coaching staff doesn’t see any adjustments that can be made to improve run defense. After evaluating the film the takeaway is just that players have to play their assignments better. I’m sure between Champ and TRob, they would notice if there was a problem scheme-wise. There’s nothing particularly mystifying about run defense. Players just have to stick to their assignments and play disciplined...and tackle.

This tells me it’s a talent issue so I’m not super hopeful that we’ll see much of an improvement. What we’ve seen is likely what we’ll see going forward. Hopefully we can get Wonnum back to help out and current players will improve with experience.

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.thest...219798620.html
CockNJersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 08:35 AM   #2
gamecock88
All Everything

Male

CockyCash: 1825498
gamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot material
Default Re: Run defense

They can improve it somewhat by coaching them up but at this point there's not much that can be done scheme wise to make a huge impact. Issues on this D from the front to back end and you just can't coach away some of those. They can play better and make tackles when they are in position.
gamecock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 08:37 AM   #3
Gamerooster
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 3500
Gamerooster is USC mascot materialGamerooster is USC mascot materialGamerooster is USC mascot materialGamerooster is USC mascot materialGamerooster is USC mascot materialGamerooster is USC mascot materialGamerooster is USC mascot materialGamerooster is USC mascot materialGamerooster is USC mascot materialGamerooster is USC mascot materialGamerooster is USC mascot material

needs to be much better
Old 10-12-2018, 08:45 AM   #4
gotrice?
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 20020
gotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to gotrice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CockNJersey View Post
From the sounds of it, the coaching staff doesn’t see any adjustments that can be made to improve run defense. After evaluating the film the takeaway is just that players have to play their assignments better. I’m sure between Champ and TRob, they would notice if there was a problem scheme-wise. There’s nothing particularly mystifying about run defense. Players just have to stick to their assignments and play disciplined...and tackle.

This tells me it’s a talent issue so I’m not super hopeful that we’ll see much of an improvement. What we’ve seen is likely what we’ll see going forward. Hopefully we can get Wonnum back to help out and current players will improve with experience.

Tells me it's a discipline issue. When our LBs are in the correct hole we stop the run pretty well, when they aren't playing assignment football we get gashed. I'm not saying we are supremely talented but when we're actually playing assignment football we're doing a solid job against the run. Just look at UK 1st half vs 2nd half. 1st half our LBs couldn't find the right hole to save their lives and were constantly out of position, 2nd half they're in position and we hold UK scoreless. We're certainly not talented enough to be able to cover up mental mistakes like we could back when we had those elite defenses loaded with NFLers but we are definitely talented enough if we play smart assignment football.
gotrice? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 08:46 AM   #5
Lonnie
Band

Male

CockyCash: 2001
Lonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotrice? View Post
Tells me it's a discipline issue.
Combined with an execution issue...

Lonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 09:04 AM   #6
BringBackGarcia
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 1000
BringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotrice? View Post
Tells me it's a discipline issue. When our LBs are in the correct hole we stop the run pretty well, when they aren't playing assignment football we get gashed. I'm not saying we are supremely talented but when we're actually playing assignment football we're doing a solid job against the run. Just look at UK 1st half vs 2nd half. 1st half our LBs couldn't find the right hole to save their lives and were constantly out of position, 2nd half they're in position and we hold UK scoreless. We're certainly not talented enough to be able to cover up mental mistakes like we could back when we had those elite defenses loaded with NFLers but we are definitely talented enough if we play smart assignment football.

Here's my thought on this, because I agree, but I don't know if it's coaching or trust.

Maybe someone who's played before at a higher level can weigh in, but I'd imagine if I'm under the belief that I am that much better than the guy beside me, and better enough that I feel like I need to cover his slack, I'm more inclined to play out of position, to bite on play action and misdirection plays, because I'm not dialed in to what I'm doing.

These guys all need to realize that as a unit they're not bad, as individuals they aren't many superstars. Play your role, trust the guy next to you to do the same, and play smart.

You know, now that I write that down, it does sound like a coaching issue.
BringBackGarcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 09:05 AM   #7
Goofyboy
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
Goofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot material

In both the Ky and Missouri games, I noticed numerous times the middle linebacker moving forward and attacking a blocker while the ball-carrier ran through the hole created. They need to get off blocks and fill gaps, not create them. We've all seen the edge guys pinch in and get beaten on the edge by runners bouncing outside. I think our linebacker play has been more of a problem then the D linemen thus far. Muschamp has mentioned the secondary missing some tackles as well. We certainly can't afford to get gashed on the ground by ATM, who has a QB who is a notably good runner. If we bite on fakes, we're dead.
Goofyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 10:41 AM   #8
CoverTwo
If C2 doesn't trust you..

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CockNJersey View Post

There is literally no one else than they can put in to help at Linebacker and Safety. Louis (playing injured), Staley, and Jones (coming off injury) just aren't ready to contribute. Ibe is hurt. Gipson, Brown, and Roderick aren't ready yet. Its pretty much go with what we have currently and live with the results.

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan
CoverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 10:44 AM   #9
CoverTwo
If C2 doesn't trust you..

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

The biggest problem we have is Brunson, Greene, and Montac have either been terrible or incredibly inconsistent. Bad pursuit angles and missed tackles. I can understand a younger player taking themselves out of a play but these guys have played a lot of snaps. They are better than this.

I'm also sort of convinced that Brunson can't play at 240+

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan
CoverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 12:41 PM   #10
BringBackGarcia
Blue Chip

Male

BringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post
The biggest problem we have is Brunson, Greene, and Montac have either been terrible or incredibly inconsistent. Bad pursuit angles and missed tackles. I can understand a younger player taking themselves out of a play but these guys have played a lot of snaps. They are better than this.

I hate calling out players that I think are really giving it 100%, but Brunson has been a big letdown for me this year.

I didn't expect much out of Montac.
Old 10-12-2018, 03:07 PM   #11
Goofyboy
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
Goofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackGarcia View Post
I hate calling out players that I think are really giving it 100%, but Brunson has been a big letdown for me this year.

I didn't expect much out of Montac.
Not a surprising comment from one who thinks Garcia was a good quarterback or added much to the team.
Montac has played well this year, but has made mistakes to go along with making key plays. That's much like several of his team-mates.
Goofyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 03:27 PM   #12
sosfan812
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 5500
sosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot material

Why is it taking until the 2nd half to make adjustments?
sosfan812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 03:35 PM   #13
pshade
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 250
pshade is crowing loudlypshade is crowing loudlypshade is crowing loudlypshade is crowing loudlypshade is crowing loudlypshade is crowing loudlypshade is crowing loudlypshade is crowing loudlypshade is crowing loudlypshade is crowing loudlypshade is crowing loudly

I made this exact post in another thread, but it should be here:
Cover Two, your sig name is the obvious answer with the team struggles and identity. I will elaborate:
1) The cover two defense is designed to keep everything in front of you and make the offense slowly work its way down the field. You are HOPING for a penalty or turnover to stall the drive. "Play it SAFE". The problem with that is it was a defense designed in the early 90's around a front four that could get pressure on a QB without blitzing. Tampa 2, Cover Two was made obsolete by the Spread and West Coast Offense. The ball is released to fast and the Safeties are too deep.

2) The defense get frustrated because they see the offense march slowly down the field and by the defensive scheme, they can't stop it. That's when you get the dumb frustration penalties. (Remember the Kentucky game, 4th and 2, we were in a cover two with 2 DLmen). It is extremely easy to block against our defense because everyone will always be lined up in the spot where they should be. No offense should not know who they are suppose to block.

3) The cover two is a balance the field defense, safeties and linebackers split the field. When a team motion anyone to the two receiver, or TE-Rec side, we then are out leveraged on the outside because the Safety has to cover 20 yards to give support. That is why we give up so many long runs. Again, the players see this and are getting frustrated because we will not change this OBSELETE defense.

4) Now on offense, we are still on the 90's philosophy of establishing the run game to pass. New England has dominated the NFL passing to set up the run. You don't have to throw it down field, but screen passes or flares to get to RB's in open space. If you force the Safeties up, Shi and Deebo will have a field day and Jake won't be throwing into double coverage.

5) This is getting long, so I will stop ranting and hope we change.

GO GAMECOCKS!!!!
pshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 04:20 PM   #14
BringBackGarcia
Blue Chip

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofyboy View Post
Not a surprising comment from one who thinks Garcia was a good quarterback or added much to the team.
Montac has played well this year, but has made mistakes to go along with making key plays. That's much like several of his team-mates.

First, Garcia lead to us to Atlanta, beat Bama, and did so while partying like a 70's rock star. If you could take 1/4th of his attitude and give it to Bentley, he'd be a Heisman candidate. That "I don't care, I know I'm the best player on this field" attitude, I think, is what's holding Bentley back. You can see it in his demeanor, he's playing not to mess up when it's go time. Garcia may not had been able to add two plus two because he was so messed up at times, but he could let a bomb go to Alshon when it mattered. And sure, maybe he went a little too far, but there's a reason we're still talking about him.

Second, Montac is a fine player, but I didn't expect him to light up the world. He's been okay. Slow. Out of position. And has made a few plays. Did you expect something more from him?
Old 10-12-2018, 04:50 PM   #15
Master Bedroom
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 10500
Master Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot material

Definitely have to stop overrunning plays and wrapping up better, that alone would be a big improvement
Master Bedroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 04:53 PM   #16
crowcutta
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 6000
crowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post
yeah assuming all the weights are accurate he's had a weird progression. listed at 230 last year, 225 in the spring, 240 now. i havent really watched him intently enough this year to say if i see a difference, but in general its something i would look at too. then theres some combination of not being as good or as experienced up front especially with wonnum out and i wonder how much not having skai next to him has negatively affected tj.

back to the overall run defense, there is no magic elixir because all it takes is one mistake on any given play. the biggest concern for me is those 5-10 yard runs turning into big plays, because the linebackers and safeties arent cleaning up plays properly. the other thing that jumps out at me is we're 5 games in and other than brunson, none of the other linebackers in our 2 linebacker set have been credited with a single tackle for loss.
crowcutta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 05:23 PM   #17
scfanz
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 5000
scfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot material

We can't tackle. Everyone on defense goes for the big sports center hit rather than wrapping up and tackling the runner.
scfanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 05:29 PM   #18
Absfract
World Traveler

Male

CockyCash: 3000
Absfract rules the CockPitAbsfract rules the CockPitAbsfract rules the CockPitAbsfract rules the CockPitAbsfract rules the CockPitAbsfract rules the CockPitAbsfract rules the CockPitAbsfract rules the CockPitAbsfract rules the CockPitAbsfract rules the CockPitAbsfract rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by scfanz View Post
We can't tackle. Everyone on defense goes for the big sports center hit rather than wrapping up and tackling the runner.
We've had a few decent open field tackles... but not enough.
Absfract is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 09:21 PM   #19
Order 66
Ed O'Bannon must pay

Male

CockyCash: 10950385
Order 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by pshade View Post
I made this exact post in another thread, but it should be here:
Cover Two, your sig name is the obvious answer with the team struggles and identity. I will elaborate:
1) The cover two defense is designed to keep everything in front of you and make the offense slowly work its way down the field. You are HOPING for a penalty or turnover to stall the drive. "Play it SAFE". The problem with that is it was a defense designed in the early 90's around a front four that could get pressure on a QB without blitzing. Tampa 2, Cover Two was made obsolete by the Spread and West Coast Offense. The ball is released to fast and the Safeties are too deep.

2) The defense get frustrated because they see the offense march slowly down the field and by the defensive scheme, they can't stop it. That's when you get the dumb frustration penalties. (Remember the Kentucky game, 4th and 2, we were in a cover two with 2 DLmen). It is extremely easy to block against our defense because everyone will always be lined up in the spot where they should be. No offense should not know who they are suppose to block.

3) The cover two is a balance the field defense, safeties and linebackers split the field. When a team motion anyone to the two receiver, or TE-Rec side, we then are out leveraged on the outside because the Safety has to cover 20 yards to give support. That is why we give up so many long runs. Again, the players see this and are getting frustrated because we will not change this OBSELETE defense.

4) Now on offense, we are still on the 90's philosophy of establishing the run game to pass. New England has dominated the NFL passing to set up the run. You don't have to throw it down field, but screen passes or flares to get to RB's in open space. If you force the Safeties up, Shi and Deebo will have a field day and Jake won't be throwing into double coverage.

5) This is getting long, so I will stop ranting and hope we change.

GO GAMECOCKS!!!!
Great post!
Order 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 09:37 PM   #20
Ace Dilcock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 13324
Ace Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot material

Inexperience on the D Line is the big problem. We lost Sawyer, Ulric Jones and Taylor Stallworth, then Wonnum got hurt. Kinlaw only played in half the games last year as a Transfer Sophomore, and he is our most experienced guy now.

I have noted that Boom likes quick, smaller D Linemen. If you lack size, you have to have good technique and strength. Both of those come with time and experience.

Boom complains about not getting off blocks - that is is a function of strength and technique.
Ace Dilcock is offline   Reply With Quote