CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
2k15
TaySC
GAMEKEM
GregoryHouse
thumpin big
Ironfan
Three and Out
COCKYWOOD
Order 66
Cockypantherfan
Ty’son Willians to x (2614)
*** USC MBB (9-8, 4- (1525)
Jake Bentley progres (670)
Bianca Cuevas-Moore (659)
2019 Preferred Walk (566)
2020 - Vershon Lee (519)
Transfer Portal (463)
2020 - Jerrold Pough (436)
2020 - Jacyais Credl (387)
2020- Zykevious Walk (367)
*** USC MBB (9-8, 4-1) vs
Tech question
2019 - Shilo Sanders
Ty’son Willians to xfer
Unanimous
2019 Preferred Walk On -
2020- Zykevious Walker
Discussion: 2019 Recruiti
2019 - Jammie Robinson
Muschamp at Carolina and

Old 01-10-2019, 10:05 PM   #1
Goofyboy
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
Goofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot material
Default I wonder if Muschamp and TRob might adjust

from the "buck" as a big part of the pass-rush to a more 4-3 base because of the DL personnel available.
Looking at the proven and emerging guys at DL, I wonder if the "best players on the field" philosophy might help us shore up our weaknesses at linebacker.

Here's my thinking.
At DT, we can have a very talented 2 deep with bodies to spare. Kinlaw, Belk, Sandidge, and Kier Thomas provide a solid 2 deep with some rest when needed. The coaches are pleased with Inagbare as a swing player and think highly of Tyreek Johnson when healthy. We also have four more experienced scholarship tackles who might step-up during the off-season.

At DE, I think we could see Thomas and Inagbare against teams that run on us, and Sterling and Fennell or B Johnson used against passing threats.
That would allow DJ Wonnum to play LB on the strong side (he can tackle and cover tight ends) if we're getting gashed, and Buck when we can use extra pass rush. That puts Brunson at MLB with some needed relief from R Louis. The weak side can be manned by Greene (if he steps it up), Jones, and Staley. Backup at strong side LB could have B Johnson, Greene, and maybe Fennell.

Coming in, we have Pickens, Anderson, and Fitten (more buck/olb sized), all good-looking DE prospects. Add Devante Davis, a big DE, Boykins (a solid OLB), and Brown (likely needing to thicken).

We already play some 4-3, but we truly couldn't stop the run this year. Much of it was caused by weak second-level play. A lot of poor tackling in space coupled with missed assignments and getting blocked too easily which put us in bad shape on second and third down. Our safeties got banged-up making tackles they shouldn't have had to make.

It seems a shame to have better players watching while our 2nd and third level are both outplayed and worn down. If we use 2 of this year's bucks to push and relieve on the second level next year, we should find the whole group improved. I think we could try DJ and B Johnson or Fennell back there and still have a formidable 4 up front. We know Wonnum, Johnson, and TJ Brunson can all blitz if appropriate and needed. With the quick passing and mobile quarterbacks we face, we have to boost our second level a bunch or keep bleeding away games.
Goofyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 10:52 PM   #2
carolinamyke
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 5500
carolinamyke is USC mascot materialcarolinamyke is USC mascot materialcarolinamyke is USC mascot materialcarolinamyke is USC mascot materialcarolinamyke is USC mascot materialcarolinamyke is USC mascot materialcarolinamyke is USC mascot materialcarolinamyke is USC mascot materialcarolinamyke is USC mascot materialcarolinamyke is USC mascot materialcarolinamyke is USC mascot material
Default Re: I wonder if Muschamp and TRob might adjust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofyboy View Post
from the "buck" as a big part of the pass-rush to a more 4-3 base because of the DL personnel available.
Looking at the proven and emerging guys at DL, I wonder if the "best players on the field" philosophy might help us shore up our weaknesses at linebacker.

Here's my thinking.
At DT, we can have a very talented 2 deep with bodies to spare. Kinlaw, Belk, Sandidge, and Kier Thomas provide a solid 2 deep with some rest when needed. The coaches are pleased with Inagbare as a swing player and think highly of Tyreek Johnson when healthy. We also have four more experienced scholarship tackles who might step-up during the off-season.

At DE, I think we could see Thomas and Inagbare against teams that run on us, and Sterling and Fennell or B Johnson used against passing threats.
That would allow DJ Wonnum to play LB on the strong side (he can tackle and cover tight ends) if we're getting gashed, and Buck when we can use extra pass rush. That puts Brunson at MLB with some needed relief from R Louis. The weak side can be manned by Greene (if he steps it up), Jones, and Staley. Backup at strong side LB could have B Johnson, Greene, and maybe Fennell.

Coming in, we have Pickens, Anderson, and Fitten (more buck/olb sized), all good-looking DE prospects. Add Devante Davis, a big DE, Boykins (a solid OLB), and Brown (likely needing to thicken).

We already play some 4-3, but we truly couldn't stop the run this year. Much of it was caused by weak second-level play. A lot of poor tackling in space coupled with missed assignments and getting blocked too easily which put us in bad shape on second and third down. Our safeties got banged-up making tackles they shouldn't have had to make.

It seems a shame to have better players watching while our 2nd and third level are both outplayed and worn down. If we use 2 of this year's bucks to push and relieve on the second level next year, we should find the whole group improved. I think we could try DJ and B Johnson or Fennell back there and still have a formidable 4 up front. We know Wonnum, Johnson, and TJ Brunson can all blitz if appropriate and needed. With the quick passing and mobile quarterbacks we face, we have to boost our second level a bunch or keep bleeding away games.
I have thought the same thing. First time I have ever seen us with so much depth on DL.
carolinamyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 10:57 PM   #3
GeoCocky66
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 21773
GeoCocky66 is USC mascot materialGeoCocky66 is USC mascot materialGeoCocky66 is USC mascot materialGeoCocky66 is USC mascot materialGeoCocky66 is USC mascot materialGeoCocky66 is USC mascot materialGeoCocky66 is USC mascot materialGeoCocky66 is USC mascot materialGeoCocky66 is USC mascot materialGeoCocky66 is USC mascot materialGeoCocky66 is USC mascot material

You've got some good points, but Kobe Smith is definitely ahead of Kier Thomas at DT in most packages. We need stronger interior play, and as much as I like Kier, he's much better at end than tackle. And, Kobe actually had a decent season there.
GeoCocky66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 11:37 PM   #4
Goofyboy
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Goofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoCocky66 View Post
You've got some good points, but Kobe Smith is definitely ahead of Kier Thomas at DT in most packages. We need stronger interior play, and as much as I like Kier, he's much better at end than tackle. And, Kobe actually had a decent season there.
I think you're right. They've used Thomas outside some this year (I think mostly to set the edge against the run), and he might still be a good swing player going forward. He also offers an inside rush guy on pass-rush situations.
Old 01-11-2019, 03:20 AM   #5
gotrice?
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 102015
gotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to gotrice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofyboy View Post

Here's my thinking.

Our incoming players are all players that will excel in our current system more than the old 4-3 or 4-2-5. The smallest pure DL we've brought in is 268 before stepping on campus and will likely play next year (if he doesn't RS) between 280-285. Pickens may play at 295-300 this year. Green is a NT if he qualifies. Devontae Davis is entering campus right around 270-275. Fitten is a BUCK all the way. We're finally getting set to play the style of defense up front that Muschamp wants, we certainly aren't changing now.
gotrice? is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 05:31 AM   #6
Three and Out
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 20500
Three and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot material

Muschamp has one of the best defensive minds in the country. But nobody can play the defense he wants without talent. 2019 is the first year we have brought in enough good players that can play multiple positions that can do what he’s looking for.
Three and Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 09:46 AM   #7
crowcutta
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 6000
crowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot material

i dont think its the way we should have to go moving forward because im hopeful we'll find some answers at lb but going along with what you're saying we can run a scheme closer to a traditional 3-4 rather than our hybrid scheme. having said that, for me if we're not straying from what we're doing schematically, start pickens or thomas at end then you start a bigger body likely belk next to kinlaw with wonnum at buck. then you work in sterling/johnson/fennell at buck and end in pass rushing situations. i think we also need to find the optimum weight and/or spot that thomas should play, de and inside only in passing situations or put on a little more weight and be more of an every down dt but a guy you still expect to affect the passer. then theres another suggestion that was kicked around by one or more on here that you move kinlaw to end.

Last edited by crowcutta; 01-11-2019 at 10:38 AM..
crowcutta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 10:26 AM   #8
Wisercock
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 20000
Wisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot material

I don't care what defensive alignment we use as long as our defense is ranked in the top 50 next season in total defense, points allowed, and/or red zone defense.
Old 01-11-2019, 04:06 PM   #9
gotrice?
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 102015
gotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to gotrice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisercock View Post
I don't care what defensive alignment we use as long as our defense is ranked in the top 50 next season in total defense, points allowed, and/or red zone defense.
I think they won't disappoint next season. Lots of pieces finally in place.
gotrice? is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 04:12 PM   #10
cockybusiness2
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 2010508
cockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotrice? View Post
I think they won't disappoint next season. Lots of pieces finally in place.

I sure hope so... I was thinking... When SOS was our coach (known for his offense) and the defense carried the team.

Now Champ is our coach (known for his defense) and last year the offense carried the team.

I guess this is par for the U of SC.
cockybusiness2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 02:34 AM   #11
mpilot0705
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1996220
mpilot0705 is USC mascot materialmpilot0705 is USC mascot materialmpilot0705 is USC mascot materialmpilot0705 is USC mascot materialmpilot0705 is USC mascot materialmpilot0705 is USC mascot materialmpilot0705 is USC mascot materialmpilot0705 is USC mascot materialmpilot0705 is USC mascot materialmpilot0705 is USC mascot materialmpilot0705 is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to mpilot0705

I don't see them changing defensive philosophy totally. I could see us lining up more in a true 4-3 or 4-2-5, but as long as muschamp is here the 3-4 with a buck will be our base defense. Much like when spurrier was here we adapted with Shaw to run some zone read and inside zone scheme our passing trees and offense was still the fun-n- gun. In today's game if you are playing a flex player, I prefer running the 4-2-5 with the lb/ safety hybrid than a 3-4 with the de/lb flex.

In the 3-4 with a buck you are a little small to line up and stop power runs and you lack the coverage speed against a 5 wide. A 4-2-5 with an oversized safety/ undersized lb still gives you a 4 man front with big mlb to stop the run and also plenty of speed in coverage.
Old 01-12-2019, 11:29 AM   #12
FanofCarolina1
💩💩💩💩

Male

CockyCash: 32144
FanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot material

Spurrier ran the 4-2-5 and did pretty well with it.
FanofCarolina1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 11:47 AM   #13
spurfan93
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 5200
spurfan93 is USC mascot materialspurfan93 is USC mascot materialspurfan93 is USC mascot materialspurfan93 is USC mascot materialspurfan93 is USC mascot materialspurfan93 is USC mascot materialspurfan93 is USC mascot materialspurfan93 is USC mascot materialspurfan93 is USC mascot materialspurfan93 is USC mascot materialspurfan93 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanofCarolina1 View Post
Spurrier ran the 4-2-5 and did pretty well with it.
To me, that defense was successful because you had guys like Antonio Allen and Devonte Holloman playing the “spur” position. Guys that could cover in the secondary but also come down and play linebacker. Also helps with all the NFL talent we had on the line.
Old 01-12-2019, 02:16 PM   #14
Ace Dilcock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 128944
Ace Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot material

I agree that we wil finally have the talent/depth/experience to run the Defense that Boom wants to run, and also players to tweak the line-up to counter the opponents' schemes/strengths and make situational adjustments (smaller DTs on pass-rushing downs, e. g.).

But what I want to see, regardless of schemes and packages, are three things:
  • One, the ability/strength to stop short yardage runs, especially when the Wildcat is used.
  • Two, the ability to contain a running/DT QB on 3rd and long.
  • Three, the ability to put pressure on a passing QB in 3rd and long situations.

We have not been close to doing any of those things last year. That needs to change in 2019.
Old 01-18-2019, 07:46 PM   #15
SC Gamecock
IT IS WHAT IT IS

Male

CockyCash: 200
SC Gamecock is USC mascot materialSC Gamecock is USC mascot materialSC Gamecock is USC mascot materialSC Gamecock is USC mascot materialSC Gamecock is USC mascot materialSC Gamecock is USC mascot materialSC Gamecock is USC mascot materialSC Gamecock is USC mascot materialSC Gamecock is USC mascot materialSC Gamecock is USC mascot materialSC Gamecock is USC mascot material

4-2-5 was as multiple as it got and I loved that. You could mold the scheme around your best player. If it was norwood you could make him an OLB in a 3-3-5 or DE in normal 4-2-5. That particular scheme is really not much different from muschamps buck. It just puts an extra DB on the field. Which you would think muschamp would love to do. His defense is so multiple though, that’s not the issue. He brings in a nickel as well but it’s practically useless in run support.
SC Gamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 09:17 PM   #16
Goofyboy
1st Team All-SEC

Male

It looks like we will have these guys at LB next year:

TJ Brunson (solid, but worn thin this year. Too many snaps and moved around)
Rosendo Louis (unproven, but came along toward the end)
Sherrod Greene (experienced, but poor production, beaten badly on key plays)
Earnest Jones (came back from injury and looked promising)
Damini Staley (looked small and played inconsistently - good tackle, bad tackle)
Eldridge Thompson (if he gets a medical waiver)
Rodricus Fitten (incoming freshman, good size, but no experience)
Derek Boykins (incoming freshman, really good athlete, 208 lb good height to grow)

That's it. Seven (maybe 8) scholarship bodies at a position that you need to make 60% of your tackles. I think one looked good this year, one looked promising, and the rest have a lot to prove. If we are going to stop the run and screens this year, we have to get big improvement at the position. I can't see any reason to not switch at least one buck, maybe 2 to linebacker to beef up the group size-wise and to take some pressure off Brunson. That was my main point in the original post. I want to see the best on the field, even if it takes some new thinking. We have what I consider a lot of talent up front, and hate to see B Johnson and Fennell waiting on snaps while our second level is getting worked over and beaten about.
Old 01-18-2019, 11:06 PM   #17
FilchCock
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 3000
FilchCock is USC mascot materialFilchCock is USC mascot materialFilchCock is USC mascot materialFilchCock is USC mascot materialFilchCock is USC mascot materialFilchCock is USC mascot materialFilchCock is USC mascot materialFilchCock is USC mascot materialFilchCock is USC mascot materialFilchCock is USC mascot materialFilchCock is USC mascot material

Y'all are probably tired of hearing me say this, but this is a no-brainer. We have, like, 1 guy on the line built for a 3 man front.
FilchCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 11:16 PM   #18
FilchCock
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 3000
FilchCock is USC mascot materialFilchCock is USC mascot materialFilchCock is USC mascot materialFilchCock is USC mascot materialFilchCock is USC mascot materialFilchCock is USC mascot materialFilchCock is USC mascot materialFilchCock is USC mascot materialFilchCock is USC mascot materialFilchCock is USC mascot materialFilchCock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotrice? View Post
Our incoming players are all players that will excel in our current system more than the old 4-3 or 4-2-5. The smallest pure DL we've brought in is 268 before stepping on campus and will likely play next year (if he doesn't RS) between 280-285. Pickens may play at 295-300 this year. Green is a NT if he qualifies. Devontae Davis is entering campus right around 270-275. Fitten is a BUCK all the way. We're finally getting set to play the style of defense up front that Muschamp wants, we certainly aren't changing now.
Zacch Pickens is a pure 4-3 DE. Why would we want to line him up clogging gaps as an undersized 3-4 DE when we need him rushing the passer? Enagbare, Smith, and wonnum all work better as 4-3 DEs, and we don't have a roster full of dudes big enough for a 3-4 front. We have no true nose tackle. Guys like Keir Thomas would work better as a 4-3 disruptive DT anyway. This also keeps us from having our tiny linebackers trying to set the edge. We don't have the personnel for a 3-4. I don't believe we ever will at USC.
FilchCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 11:43 PM   #19
COCKYWOOD
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 5800
COCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot material

Must be able to play press coverage!!!
COCKYWOOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 12:03 AM   #20
Goofyboy
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowcutta View Post
i dont think its the way we should have to go moving forward because im hopeful we'll find some answers at lb but going along with what you're saying we can run a scheme closer to a traditional 3-4 rather than our hybrid scheme. having said that, for me if we're not straying from what we're doing schematically, start pickens or thomas at end then you start a bigger body likely belk next to kinlaw with wonnum at buck. then you work in sterling/johnson/fennell at buck and end in pass rushing situations. i think we also need to find the optimum weight and/or spot that thomas should play, de and inside only in passing situations or put on a little more weight and be more of an every down dt but a guy you still expect to affect the passer. then theres another suggestion that was kicked around by one or more on here that you move kinlaw to end.
We shouldn't be working in sterling/johnson/fennell at buck when our linebackers are getting manhandled and worn out. A couple of them can likely be on the field more at linebacker in a 4-3 with the bigger bodies we have up front in at least a good 2-deep 4 man front with good rush options and passing-down specialists available in our 14 scholarship DL group - with Pickens and Anderson being added as top-tier freshmen.