CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
b381l
Gamecocks1137
Order 66
snruter amabon
DTGCOCKS#32
thekob
Acockolypse Now
A. Pilgrim
eightohhthree
B-G
ESPN reporter adding (3203)
SOS: No QB controve (2282)
In light of our matc (1401)
How we won the UGA g (1371)
Just read this. (1311)
If we keep winning a (706)
Neat statistic bruhh (616)
Clemson requires sex (559)
Should I move to Oxf (510)
Women of the SEC Ran (421)
Vandy Fans
Winston
Happy National Cheeseburg
uniforms saturday
Acock's SEC Wrap Up 2014:
In light of our matchup w
Places to watch Carolina
The SEC East schedule fro
Christian Walker called u
How we won the UGA game:

Old 07-20-2012, 08:39 AM   #1
Braveguy06
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 1022
Braveguy06 is sharpening his clawsBraveguy06 is sharpening his clawsBraveguy06 is sharpening his clawsBraveguy06 is sharpening his claws
Default 2012 Defense

So I read alot of message boards talking about how we are in so much trouble with the loss of allen, gilmore, ingram, and robertson. First not many people knew how good ingram was and it is my opinion that clowney helped ingram become the star he was as a senior. Gilmore was good but very raw. Quarles and Jerideau will make a good duo inside so DT doesnt have me worried at all. Allen could of been the most underrated player we had but I think Holloman does well to fill the spur postion. I have faith in victor to handle his side and may be a better true CB coverage wise than gilmore was. If auguste can beat the injury bug then he should play well. Only true ? mark is Brison Williams and I have high hopes for him. As far as EJ goes, I cant say that im not glad he is gone. I think he got a little to much credit from the players making plays. Our defense isnt going anywhere no matter how much people wish for it.
Old 07-20-2012, 08:43 AM   #2
Mt. Lattimore
At the Top

Male

CockyCash: 500
Mt. Lattimore rules the CockPitMt. Lattimore rules the CockPitMt. Lattimore rules the CockPitMt. Lattimore rules the CockPitMt. Lattimore rules the CockPitMt. Lattimore rules the CockPitMt. Lattimore rules the CockPitMt. Lattimore rules the CockPitMt. Lattimore rules the CockPitMt. Lattimore rules the CockPitMt. Lattimore rules the CockPit
Default Re: 2012 Defense

Its nice having 4 senior linebackers.
Mt. Lattimore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 08:58 AM   #3
scz71864
5 Star Frat

Male

CockyCash: 200
scz71864 is crowing loudlyscz71864 is crowing loudlyscz71864 is crowing loudlyscz71864 is crowing loudlyscz71864 is crowing loudlyscz71864 is crowing loudlyscz71864 is crowing loudlyscz71864 is crowing loudlyscz71864 is crowing loudlyscz71864 is crowing loudlyscz71864 is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mt. Lattimore View Post
Its nice having 4 senior linebackers.
wont be nice next year. But yes it will be nice to have the experience and leadership

scz71864 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 09:02 AM   #4
Braveguy06
Blue Chip

Male

Braveguy06 is sharpening his clawsBraveguy06 is sharpening his clawsBraveguy06 is sharpening his clawsBraveguy06 is sharpening his claws

Got some great LB on the way in who should make a impact.
Old 07-20-2012, 11:51 AM   #5
Goofyboy
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Goofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot material

Quote:
So I read alot of message boards talking about how we are in so much trouble with the loss of allen, gilmore, ingram, and robertson. First not many people knew how good ingram was and it is my opinion that clowney helped ingram become the star he was as a senior. Gilmore was good but very raw. Quarles and Jerideau will make a good duo inside so DT doesnt have me worried at all. Allen could of been the most underrated player we had but I think Holloman does well to fill the spur postion. I have faith in victor to handle his side and may be a better true CB coverage wise than gilmore was. If auguste can beat the injury bug then he should play well. Only true ? mark is Brison Williams and I have high hopes for him. As far as EJ goes, I cant say that im not glad he is gone. I think he got a little to much credit from the players making plays. Our defense isnt going anywhere no matter how much people wish for it.
I disagree with many of the details of your post, but think the overall conclusion will prove correct.
With Gilmore, we lost much more than raw talent. He knew the schemes, how to cover, and tackled well. However, getting Auguste back to pair with Hampton offers promise.
Ingram was a unique presence with attributes that let him contribute in ways that are unusual for a DE/DT. He made Clowney better more than the other way around. However, I think Clowney will assume some of that versitile, multi-dimensional role beginning this year. Don't be surprised to see him in the forward punting team blockers. That would make me nervous as an opposing coach.
I agree that Quarles will likely be even better, and that Jerideau may turn some heads (in helmets, even).
Allen was truly a presence - superb tackler, opportunist, playmaker, and a confident coverage man. I, too, think Holloman could be even better with his size, speed, experience, and intelligence as a player.
Markette will be missed, even though a backup - he made plays on D and special teams, but we have some others, including incoming freshmen, who show speed and promise.
I also like the comments from other posters about what I see as an upgrade at linebacker. I think we'll have size options, and experienced backups (if healthy) that we've not seen before. I think the LB options will give Ward the opportunity to be more aggressive both in rushing the DL and in blitzing that seemed riskier to EJ because we didn't have the linebacking in place to attack rather than just defend. The overall size and speed at LB look to me to be the biggest upgrade on defense. I also think our offense will likely be much more of an assest to our defense than last year.
Goofyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 12:08 PM   #6
Braveguy06
Blue Chip

Male

Gilmore has made good plays but he was also beat alot. Wasnt it gilmore who left cobb wide open when we lost to kentucky??? Even in the draft they said he was good but raw but they could mold him. Clowney & ingram made each other better due to the fact 1 of the 2 always doubleteamed which left the other open. Ingram has said many times that playing beside clowney really helped him step up his game. Past is the past regardless of opinion. Still feel like this defense can match last years or do better.
Old 07-20-2012, 12:44 PM   #7
SR4-AJ1
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 9708333
SR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudly

They also said it looked like gilmore got beat more than usual because he was trying to make up for other peoples mistakes. He is a loss that could hurt us the most due to his experience and playmaking abilities IMO
Old 07-20-2012, 01:06 PM   #8
cockypanther
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 113355
cockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot material

The proven depth in the secondary is what worries me a little bit. There are a lot of sophmore and freshaman in the secondary who are talented players and could possibly emerge this year and help out. It's never a bad thing to get good athletes on the field early on in their career. We will be scary if the likes of Christian, McWilliams, Elder, Marcus, and Royster give us some quality playing time this year. I'm very excited to see what our secondary can become in the next couple of years.
cockypanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 01:07 PM   #9
cockypanther
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 113355
cockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot material

Just read over my post again and I guess it should say the unproven depth.
cockypanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 02:04 PM   #10
cocky2476
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 1450
cocky2476 is developing his combcocky2476 is developing his combcocky2476 is developing his combcocky2476 is developing his combcocky2476 is developing his combcocky2476 is developing his combcocky2476 is developing his combcocky2476 is developing his combcocky2476 is developing his comb

let me guess those are uga fans and clemson fans, right now they are trying to make their selves feel better. getting beat a few years in a row does that to you. you can mark it down we will have a better defense this year.
cocky2476 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 02:10 PM   #11
MillerTime843
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1135301
MillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot material

I call 11 interceptions this year and 5 by Swearinger
MillerTime843 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 07:13 PM   #12
GamecockUltimate
BIGGER. STRONGER.LONGER

Male

CockyCash: 219000
GamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime843 View Post
I call 11 interceptions this year and 5 by Swearinger
only 11...i think it needs to be higher than that

for willy
GamecockUltimate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 07:16 PM   #13
GamecockUltimate
BIGGER. STRONGER.LONGER

Male

CockyCash: 219000
GamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot material

look at it this way, new guys have always stepped up for us. you had the Brinkleys then Norwood, then DT, then Ingram and Clowney, now DT and Clowney..and even in the secondary you had all those guys we put in the NFL but you had Allen who replaced darian stewart. We will be fine. New guys step up

for willy
GamecockUltimate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 07:36 PM   #14
Roosterboy
Household Name

Male

Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material

Mark it down...Kelcy Quarles will have a monster season from DT...and I think Ahmad Christian will shoot up the chart to be our nickle back.
1975, 1977, 1981, 1982, 1985, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012
Two-time National Champs

Roosterboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 09:15 PM   #15
dieselcock
Blue Chip

Male

dieselcock has feathers coming indieselcock has feathers coming indieselcock has feathers coming in

every year we have guys like Norwood,Rice,McKinley,etc that everyone freaks out about replacing...The thing we need to see is we are a team that recruits very well now. We use to rely heavily on a couple of great players every year to keep us in a game...Now,they win as a unit..Now,we have coaches who know the strengths of every player and puts them in a position to make plays...we will be fine! I'm not saying those guys are not missed when they leave...I'm just saying we should be looking forward to reloading.
Old 07-20-2012, 09:19 PM   #16
SwimCock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

SwimCock rules the CockPitSwimCock rules the CockPitSwimCock rules the CockPitSwimCock rules the CockPitSwimCock rules the CockPitSwimCock rules the CockPitSwimCock rules the CockPitSwimCock rules the CockPitSwimCock rules the CockPitSwimCock rules the CockPitSwimCock rules the CockPit

Just like our baseball team, our football program is great at targeting outstanding recruits and then developing them so that they can step in and contribute when they need to.
SwimCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 09:32 PM   #17
Goofyboy
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Goofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot material

Quote:
Just like our baseball team, our football program is great at targeting outstanding recruits and then developing them so that they can step in and contribute when they need to.
We're two years away from 7-5 and one year away from sucking in a bowl game. I don't see a dynasty yet. I do think you are on the right track about the look for the future, especially since we seem now able to redshirt quality players to get them ready for this level as opposed to earlier years having to use them before they were fully ready. Now we seem to only rely on the exceptional athlete for early playing time.
Goofyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 09:36 PM   #18
Gamecockfanatic4
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 4567500
Gamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to Gamecockfanatic4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofyboy View Post
We're two years away from 7-5 and one year away from sucking in a bowl game. I don't see a dynasty yet. I do think you are on the right track about the look for the future, especially since we seem now able to redshirt quality players to get them ready for this level as opposed to earlier years having to use them before they were fully ready. Now we seem to only rely on the exceptional athlete for early playing time.
he didn't say we were a dynasty at all, every school that can get them uses the top young players early

Gamecockfanatic4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 12:56 AM   #19
GamecockJames
4-Star

Male

GamecockJames has feathers coming inGamecockJames has feathers coming in

The only losses that can possibly hurt this team on defense are EJ and Gilmore. Of all the players that keep getting mentioned Gilmore was the only one to start every single game from the moment he stepped on campus. All those other guys got buried on the depth chart behind somebody else. Nobody expected Ingram and Allen to make all of the plays they did last season and now that there gone ppl are claiming two steps backwards. Those ppl are not very smart.

Besides the next time somebody starts talking that talk ask them to name some second and third stringers on our defense they can't do it because they don't know anything about our defense. I can guarantee you before last season most of these ppl had never even heard of Antonio Allen or Melvin Ingram.

That's what college football is guys leave and other ppl step up.
I'm not going to stand up here and run my mouth like that coach from the upstate does" and "I invite you to get your picutre with two trophies up here, one is the Cap. 1 Bowl trophy and the other is the state championship trophy, that trophy is not really a big deal because we win it every year now
GamecockJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 03:24 PM   #20
Coondog
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Coondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot material

Victor Hampton will ba a lockdown corner this year. This kid is the real deal wait and see.
Coondog is offline   Reply With Quote