CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
GamecockSuperFan
cocks are us
robgusc76
Ericvol2096
El Cid Ranger
A. Pilgrim
taylorssc
jellafever
johnnyb
BLACK OUT!!!!!!! (2350)
Jimbo Fisher Blames (998)
Ole Miss Fan's Milk- (879)
Herbstreit on " (859)
Little know stat (We (829)
SEC QB's in the Red (821)
Gamecockology Helms (792)
2013 Georgia vs. 201 (663)
Gif Sharing Time!!!! (459)
Where do you like to (379)
Little know stat (Week 10
Herbstreit on "SEC B
Sports no longer fun?
Tennessee - South Carolin
SEC QB's in the Red Zone
Tennessee Offense Breakdo
Perry Dozier Jr. (2015 Pr
COCKYTALK GOLF OUTING
Where do you like to sit
BLACK OUT!!!!!!!

Old 09-30-2012, 11:47 AM   #1
cofcgamecock9
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 100500
cofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot material
Default "Connor is a great passer." - Steve Spurrier

When the whole Dylan vs Connor debate was going on earlier this year, a lot of fans on this board were saying that Connor was just not a very good passer. That he was never going to be a good passer.

Direct quote from Steve Spurrier last night after game - "Connor is a great passer."

Yeah, Yeah, I know the ones that were saying he wasn't a good passer are going to say he only throws short passes, etc.

So what passes did he throw that were bad last night? The two deeps balls he threw were right on target with the WR dropping one.

What about the pass he threw as he was rolling to his left and running out of bounds. That is a very difficult pass to throw.

So for two games now, in fact since people were saying Connor couldn't pass the ball, tell me what passes Connor has thrown poorly.

He threw a ball out of bounds last night to avoid the sack. I guess that is the "poorest" pass he has thrown because every other incompletion has been a dropped ball.
cofcgamecock9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 11:50 AM   #2
cofcgamecock9
Banned

Male

cofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot material
Default Re: "Connor is a great passer." - Steve Spurrier

In fact, I will even take it a step further. I think Connor Shaw will be all-SEC by the end of the season.

The guy doesn't throw 40 passes a game, but he hasn't missed on one pass in two games and he has the best legs in the SEC.
Old 09-30-2012, 11:54 AM   #3
jaytda4th
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 500
jaytda4th rules the CockPitjaytda4th rules the CockPitjaytda4th rules the CockPitjaytda4th rules the CockPitjaytda4th rules the CockPitjaytda4th rules the CockPitjaytda4th rules the CockPitjaytda4th rules the CockPitjaytda4th rules the CockPitjaytda4th rules the CockPitjaytda4th rules the CockPit

Conner looks like he has gotten a lot faster. Anyone agree?

-- Seems like he is faster than everyone on the field when he puts the jets on.
Old 09-30-2012, 11:55 AM   #4
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

It is the passes he doesn't throw, IMO. Still has that tendency to bail out a little too early and Spurrier has been critical of that. I don't think we have seen him sit in the pocket and throw a intermediate dig/square in or skinny post type of route too much. My concern is that he can't see coverage over the oline. His deep ball is fantastic though and he does well with a moving pocket, roll out.

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan
CoverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 11:59 AM   #5
Goofyboy
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Goofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot material

Shaw threw a ten yard pass at Lattimore's ankles, and it forced him to go down to catch it and a review that confirmed it as a catch. Other than that I didn't notice anything poorly thrown last night. It doesn't mean he's a poor passer, it means he threw a poor pass. My issues with his passing are holding on to the ball too long and sometimes not commiting to the scramble by sprinting away from coverage instead of drifting away. When he moves quickly to get separation, he often still looks downfield and finds a target.
Goofyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 12:00 PM   #6
cofcgamecock9
Banned

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post
It is the passes he doesn't throw, IMO. Still has that tendency to bail out a little too early and Spurrier has been critical of that. I don't think we have seen him sit in the pocket and throw a intermediate dig/square in or skinny post type of route too much. My concern is that he can't see coverage over the oline. His deep ball is fantastic though and he does well with a moving pocket, roll out.
Yes, and I am not disagreeing. But the comments two weeks ago by MANY were that he wasn't a good passer. You read them too, I am sure. Such as that Dylan threw a better deep ball than Connor. I talked to Damiere Byrds dad and that is not true at least according to him. They all love Connors passing ability.

Connor Shaw is a very good passer and I am just pointing out that that is one of those areas where fans perception WAS NOT reality and that is why Coach Spurrier says he is our QB.

Yes, he has things he needs to work on like what you are saying, but his passing accuracy or ability is not one of them.
Old 09-30-2012, 12:01 PM   #7
PageUSC
Recruiting60%-Coaching40%

Male

CockyCash: 987375
PageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot material

He doesn't stand in the pocket because every time he drops back the pocket collapses and he has to scramble or roll out. We've got issues on the OL.
Old 09-30-2012, 12:01 PM   #8
catdaddy66
Former Walk On in-law

Male

CockyCash: 250018
catdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by cofcgamecock9 View Post
When the whole Dylan vs Connor debate was going on earlier this year, a lot of fans on this board were saying that Connor was just not a very good passer. That he was never going to be a good passer.

Direct quote from Steve Spurrier last night after game - "Connor is a great passer."

Yeah, Yeah, I know the ones that were saying he wasn't a good passer are going to say he only throws short passes, etc.

So what passes did he throw that were bad last night? The two deeps balls he threw were right on target with the WR dropping one.

What about the pass he threw as he was rolling to his left and running out of bounds. That is a very difficult pass to throw.

So for two games now, in fact since people were saying Connor couldn't pass the ball, tell me what passes Connor has thrown poorly.

He threw a ball out of bounds last night to avoid the sack. I guess that is the "poorest" pass he has thrown because every other incompletion has been a dropped ball.

It is usually ill advised to make this throw. The QB has to square his shoulders to get more strength and accuracy behind it. Connor didn't square but the ball was absolutely beautiful! Best pass all night, IMO.

I believe one of his strengths is keeping his eyes downfield to locate a receiver coming open as a defender closes to stop his possible run.
Old 09-30-2012, 12:02 PM   #9
cofcgamecock9
Banned

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofyboy View Post
My issues with his passing are holding on to the ball too long and sometimes not commiting to the scramble by sprinting away from coverage instead of drifting away. When he moves quickly to get separation, he often still looks downfield and finds a target.
Again, not saying that Shaw isn't still working on things. I am stating that this idea that he is not a good passer that was WIDELY posted a couple of weeks ago is completely inaccurate.
Old 09-30-2012, 12:03 PM   #10
smtrgmcock
Walk On

Male

CockyCash: 1200
smtrgmcock is sharpening his clawssmtrgmcock is sharpening his clawssmtrgmcock is sharpening his clawssmtrgmcock is sharpening his claws
Send a message via AIM to smtrgmcock

The Offensive Line hasn't done a great job of protecting the pocket, he hasn't had the time to see routes develop. His deep balls have been on the money. Would it be nice to see more of an aerial assault, sure, but he's consistently done what it takes to move the chains.
Old 09-30-2012, 12:03 PM   #11
TroubleCock
Blue Chip

Male

TroubleCock is developing his combTroubleCock is developing his combTroubleCock is developing his combTroubleCock is developing his combTroubleCock is developing his combTroubleCock is developing his combTroubleCock is developing his combTroubleCock is developing his combTroubleCock is developing his comb

Quote:
Right on, He is so fast to run, sometimes i don't even know if he is making reads on the passes he is throwing. if you could mesh connor + dylan it'd be awesome.
TroubleCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 12:03 PM   #12
cofcgamecock9
Banned

Male

BOTTOM LINE

I didn't say that Connor didn't have things to work on. This wasn't about him holding on to the ball too long.

A ton of people said two weeks ago that Connor Shaw was not a good passer and was only a good runner.

They were wrong. Simple as that.

Steve Spurrier doesn't say "Connor is a great passer" unless he means it.
Old 09-30-2012, 12:08 PM   #13
smtrgmcock
Walk On

Male

CockyCash: 1200
smtrgmcock is sharpening his clawssmtrgmcock is sharpening his clawssmtrgmcock is sharpening his clawssmtrgmcock is sharpening his claws
Send a message via AIM to smtrgmcock

And the supposed "Connor vs. Dylan" debate was extremely short-sighted and asinine. A sizable majority of our fan base are idiots. There was never a real "controversy", just a bunch of fan boys on the internet who value the performance of a backup against two porous defenses over what a proven leader has done on and off the field. Probably the same guys who worshipped Achilles Garcia.
Old 09-30-2012, 12:09 PM   #14
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

Well I'm not sure people were criticizing the way he throws the football. What they have been critical of what has been mentioned so far. The conservative decision making, holding into the ball too long .. IMO, it was fair to raise some questions when Dylan was completing intermediate stuff down the middle of the field and pretty much throwing it down the field at will. Granted the competition was slack

I don't think many would say Connor doesn't throw a pretty ball. Just want to continue to see him make strides and eventually hit some reads that he has been missing.

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan
CoverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 12:10 PM   #15
Emery
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1000
Emery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot material

Quote:
Exactly, there were several times when he steps up in pocket and stops going through the receivers to just run. I don't know if it's that he can't see as you say or is only comfortable with one on one coverage as opposed to zone. It seems with zone he goes to check down every single time (which is the appropriate thing most of the time) but doesn't try to thread one in.
Emery is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 12:11 PM   #16
cofcgamecock9
Banned

Male

Quote:
Well I'm not sure people were criticizing the way he throws the football. What they have been critical of what has been mentioned so far. The conservative decision making, holding into the ball too long .. IMO, it was fair to raise some questions when Dylan was completing intermediate stuff down the middle of the field and pretty much throwing it down the field at will. Granted the competition was slack

I don't think many would say Connor doesn't throw a pretty ball.
C2, there were plenty of people two weeks ago that said that Connor wasn't a good passer. I remember them very very well.
Old 09-30-2012, 12:13 PM   #17
Mechanical Cock
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 200
Mechanical Cock is crowing loudlyMechanical Cock is crowing loudlyMechanical Cock is crowing loudlyMechanical Cock is crowing loudlyMechanical Cock is crowing loudlyMechanical Cock is crowing loudlyMechanical Cock is crowing loudlyMechanical Cock is crowing loudlyMechanical Cock is crowing loudlyMechanical Cock is crowing loudlyMechanical Cock is crowing loudly

35 of 39, 4 td, 0 int, 397 yds passing, 117 yds rushing in last two games. Two games he was at full strength more or less. As many TDs as incompletes to use Geno Smith vocabulary.
Old 09-30-2012, 12:20 PM   #18
DiamondGamecock
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 600
DiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spurs

Connor is a great passer, I agree. He just needs to work on his check downs a bit more. I noticed last now how he would look at his primary target, and when he wasn't open he took off. It wasn't that no one was open, if you go back and look, you can see we usually had someone open.

With that being said, I will also mention when he does make a throw he is spot on, and throwing for 80 and 90+ percent in the last two games is a very good pass completion rate. He makes the throws when we absolutely need him to, but there are times when he is tentative. I think the reason his accuracy is so high, is because he plays tentative in the pocket. I know he likes to pass more than run, he has stated that in the past, but for some reason he still seems like he would rather take off than throw.

At this point he has been a great field general, and if he continues to do so, we will continue having an amazing season. Just work on the check downs a bit more Connor, and all will be well.

Also that drop from DL Moore in the first half of the game, that should have been a Touchdown. We cannot miss opportunities like that in the Georgia game, because of the way they can score quickly. Hopefully our Defense can and will make up for it if occurs.

Lets just get better and beat Georgia next week, and we will all be happy.
DiamondGamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 12:23 PM   #19
BornCocky'86
Good...Great

Male

CockyCash: 283
BornCocky'86 rules the CockPitBornCocky'86 rules the CockPitBornCocky'86 rules the CockPitBornCocky'86 rules the CockPitBornCocky'86 rules the CockPitBornCocky'86 rules the CockPitBornCocky'86 rules the CockPitBornCocky'86 rules the CockPitBornCocky'86 rules the CockPitBornCocky'86 rules the CockPitBornCocky'86 rules the CockPit

He is playing crazy good right now. There was the 20/21 against Mizz. He was 15/18 last night. Two of the incompletions were drops by Ellington and DL Moore. I can't remember the other incomplete but DAMN!!! that boy is accurate as hell
"I think maybe we should just sit here quietly now and not say anything, and let you just kinda contemplate on the news I just dropped on you, and let me just kinda contemplate on my own pain and sorrows right now."

Kenny Powers
BornCocky'86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 12:25 PM   #20
BornCocky'86
Good...Great

Male

CockyCash: 283
BornCocky'86 rules the CockPitBornCocky'86 rules the CockPitBornCocky'86 rules the CockPitBornCocky'86 rules the CockPitBornCocky'86 rules the CockPitBornCocky'86 rules the CockPitBornCocky'86 rules the CockPitBornCocky'86 rules the CockPitBornCocky'86 rules the CockPitBornCocky'86 rules the CockPitBornCocky'86 rules the CockPit

Quote:

disagree respectfully, he has no choice but to scramble and when he does the results are almost always positive
"I think maybe we should just sit here quietly now and not say anything, and let you just kinda contemplate on the news I just dropped on you, and let me just kinda contemplate on my own pain and sorrows right now."

Kenny Powers
BornCocky'86 is offline   Reply With Quote