CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
CoverTwo
ReadR00ster
Singaporecock
sporkgod50
usc1
2000grad
ktguen
markp_vip
jrussjr
3MTA3
Group wants Clemson, (982)
Larenz Bryant update (876)
Hillsborough (540)
2015 - Chris Clark (473)
2016 - Greg Little (470)
Joeckel Transfering (466)
UK's Whitlow to tran (455)
Bamberg High School (311)
USC Tartan Unvieled (257)
Its April 15th and i (256)
A'ja Wilson
**USC vs. The Citadel GAM
SC Supreme Court Rules ag
Jameis Winston's Accuser
purchasing football ticke
Need Bama-USC Tickets (Ba
Kelcy and Vic questioned
Larenz Bryant update?
MLS Atlanta
UK's Whitlow to transfer

Old 11-14-2012, 09:47 AM   #1
Legalman72
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 19477065
Legalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot material
Default Scoffing at stats garnered in the ACC

I think the tide of recruits and goodwill the SEC (and other quality conferences) has received is only going to increase. Listening to ESPN and Rivals Radio yesterday, Brian Billick talked about it, along with numerous guests and coaches on the Rivals station.

Players like Clowney, Alshon, Melvin, and Stephon are absolutely battle-tested. NFL teams needn't worry if they're soft or feasting on weak competition because all they have to do is watch the film. Heck, just this year Clowney has faced multiple future NFL starters.

And, smack aside, Tajh Boyd up in Clemson is putting up video game numbers and getting largely ignored. Others in the ACC, too. That conference, without a doubt, is growing markedly weaker--a vicious cycle.

I'm not intending this as smack. But if I were a recruit who wanted to go to the League, there is no way I would consider the ACC, even FSU. Playing in the SEC erases all questions any scout might have.
Legalman72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 10:24 AM   #2
cack
ONE NINE 3

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Homecoming King 2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Signature Fark Off Winner: Award given for winning a CockyTalk Fark Off - Given for: Winning the Farkoff Hey Beer Man!: Award given to the poster we most want to have a beer with - Given for: being voted the person CockyTalk most wants to have a beer with 
CockyCash: 344470
cack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot material
Default Re: Scoffing at stats garnered in the ACC

You look at All-Everything CJ Spiller and all the records he broke in the ACC. He's having a decent career with good games here and there, but he is by no means dominating like he was against weaker opponents.

Follow me at One Nine 3 BBQ

cack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 10:36 AM   #3
sc455
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 23088816
sc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot material

it's never good to scoff..one day its your turn.
sc455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 10:53 AM   #4
Legalman72
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 19477065
Legalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc455 View Post
it's never good to scoff..one day its your turn.
Don't tell me, tell NFL scouts, NFL coaches, and the media. The players shouldn't give a rip what I think.

I still think it's a vicious cycle. If the ACC teams keep getting worse, less quality kids will go there.
Legalman72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:07 AM   #5
I Bleed Garnet
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 524485398
I Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot material

Honestly I think it's just all how great your potential is and how you do in the combine.
Jason Pierre Paul played organized football for what 2 years and now he's one of the best DEs in the NFL.
Jared Allen played at Idaho State.

Of course the SEC has more prime time/marquee games so its easier to scout and see they've played in meaningful games, but so many players now days are picked because they have NFL bodies/combine numbers and coaches hope they can mold them into great players.
Example: Antonio Allen being 2nd team all SEC, putting up monster numbers and he's on the practice squad. Compared to Chandler Jones who had 4.5 sacks in the big east at DE and was picked in the first round and has had a pretty good season.

#LukeForMod
2010 Football SEC East Champs
2009 Basketball SEC East Co-Champs

"9 out of 10 schools cheat, and the 10th is in last place"-Jerry Tarkanian
I Bleed Garnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:39 AM   #6
Red Devil
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 500
Red Devil has earned his spursRed Devil has earned his spursRed Devil has earned his spursRed Devil has earned his spursRed Devil has earned his spursRed Devil has earned his spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legalman72 View Post
Don't tell me, tell NFL scouts, NFL coaches, and the media. The players shouldn't give a rip what I think.

I still think it's a vicious cycle. If the ACC teams keep getting worse, less quality kids will go there.
It is getting worse, they just added those powerhouses Pitt and Syracuse!!
Old 11-14-2012, 11:49 PM   #7
jch81
Blue Chip

Male

jch81 has developed his gaff and talonsjch81 has developed his gaff and talonsjch81 has developed his gaff and talonsjch81 has developed his gaff and talonsjch81 has developed his gaff and talonsjch81 has developed his gaff and talonsjch81 has developed his gaff and talonsjch81 has developed his gaff and talonsjch81 has developed his gaff and talonsjch81 has developed his gaff and talonsjch81 has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
Originally Posted by cack View Post
You look at All-Everything CJ Spiller and all the records he broke in the ACC. He's having a decent career with good games here and there, but he is by no means dominating like he was against weaker opponents.
CJ Spiller isnt dominating because Chan Gailey doesnt give him any carries. His ypc tells you all you need to know.
jch81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 12:04 AM   #8
gamecockphan
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 2200
gamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Bleed Garnet View Post
Honestly I think it's just all how great your potential is and how you do in the combine.
Jason Pierre Paul played organized football for what 2 years and now he's one of the best DEs in the NFL.
Jared Allen played at Idaho State.

Of course the SEC has more prime time/marquee games so its easier to scout and see they've played in meaningful games, but so many players now days are picked because they have NFL bodies/combine numbers and coaches hope they can mold them into great players.
Example: Antonio Allen being 2nd team all SEC, putting up monster numbers and he's on the practice squad. Compared to Chandler Jones who had 4.5 sacks in the big east at DE and was picked in the first round and has had a pretty good season.
This pretty much sums it up.
gamecockphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 12:20 AM   #9
Gyle41386
Explosivo

Male

CockyCash: 1450
Gyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to Gyle41386 Send a message via Yahoo to Gyle41386

Quote:
Originally Posted by jch81 View Post
CJ Spiller isnt dominating because Chan Gailey doesnt give him any carries. His ypc tells you all you need to know.
Yep, he had a couple of great weeks when Fred Jackson was out at the beginning of this season. My fantasy team would like to see him get more carries, soon.
Old 11-15-2012, 07:58 AM   #10
Evilchicken2
Allergic to kool aid

Male

Evilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot material

What a ridiculous premise. NFL scouts do a phenomenal job weeding through talent in all conferences regardless of competition--they know who has the talent. You don't need to be battled tested in the SEC, that's just silly. By the way, the real scouting takes place in the combines and workouts away from the cupcake factory.
Old 11-15-2012, 09:00 AM   #11
Ownage McGee
Banned

Male

Ownage McGee is developing his combOwnage McGee is developing his combOwnage McGee is developing his combOwnage McGee is developing his combOwnage McGee is developing his combOwnage McGee is developing his combOwnage McGee is developing his combOwnage McGee is developing his combOwnage McGee is developing his comb

Evilchicken is correct
Ownage McGee is offline   Reply With Quote