CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
CockyLifer
Gamecocks1137
Bed Sores
mpilot0705
Aggie96
ReadR00ster
Master Bedroom
spareparts
TheUniversityofSC
AtlGAMECOCK
Finbaum Jogs on USC (1587)
The Field (1503)
Spurrier winning at (1134)
I hope Coach Spurrie (1066)
One of the great thi (963)
Anyone watching pti (951)
Defensive Backfield (853)
GAME (823)
SDS/Garcia: Entertai (710)
Death in the family (702)
GAME
The Field
I hope Coach Spurrier get
Conflict with Aggies on t
Finbaum Jogs on USC campu
Elliott Fry
****Official 2014 Gamecoc
Anyone watching pti
SDS/Garcia: Entertaining
Defensive Backfield

Old 11-18-2012, 08:41 PM   #1
cofcgamecock9
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 100500
cofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot material
Default Our QB play will determine outcome..

I really believe this. Our d-line is going to get its stops and big plays and Clemson is going to score some points. Our running backs are going to gain some yards (probably around 100-150). I feel very comfortable that all of this will pan out just like we expect.

This game will come down to QB play. Shaw plays like he did against UT, Ark, UGA, Mizzou, UAB, and even LSU, SC wins. His performance against LSU would get us 40 points against Clemson's defense.

Shaw plays like he did against Florida, Kentucky, or Wofford and SC loses.

Everyone on here knows I have been a HUGE proponent of Connor Shaw. That is true. But in THIS PARTICULAR game, if Shaw seems like he is afraid to throw it like it appeared against Wofford, DT needs to go in, even in a hostile environment. This is not a "who is a better QB point." I am saying this because Clemson's secondary is horrible and all SC needs is for someone to actually throw the ball downfield.

In any other game, I would have said Shaw was still our best option because we could play ball control and still win and having DT in would risk too many turnovers from lack of experience. This game is different. We can score 40 easily on Clemson if we just throw the ball.

If Connor does what he did against Ark and UT, which was only a couple of weeks ago, we will beat Clemson.
cofcgamecock9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:48 PM   #2
rosstheboss
Diehard

Male

CockyCash: 461687660
rosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot material
Default Re: Our QB play will determine outcome..

^i agree with most of that but I think shaw's play is directly related to the o line's play. IMO if the o line can hold a block longer than a second or two (incredible i know)then shaw will be able to pick apart their secondary. If they play like they have most of the year, shaw will get happy feet and will ultimately cost us the game. For once, I hope spurrier has a short leash on shaw. usually i hate when he pulls a qb.
Old 11-18-2012, 08:49 PM   #3
Coulwoodwarlord
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 900000
Coulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot material

Indeed, Shaw must play well. Important that we score early to ease the pressure he might feel. I do think he will play to a high level this coming week.
Coulwoodwarlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:50 PM   #4
pantera17
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1057615
pantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot material

True.
pantera17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:52 PM   #5
robgusc76
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 101200
robgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to robgusc76

Dissagree, I think our running game is the key to winning.
robgusc76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:52 PM   #6
cofcgamecock9
Banned

Male

cofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosstheboss View Post
^i agree with most of that but I think shaw's play is directly related to the o line's play. IMO if the o line can hold a block longer than a second or two (incredible i know)then shaw will be able to pick apart their secondary. If they play like they have most of the year, shaw will get happy feet and will ultimately cost us the game. For once, I hope spurrier has a short leash on shaw. usually i hate when he pulls a qb.
Most of the year?? Again, I am saying that the offensive line play and Shaw's play in the UT, Ark, Mizzou, UGA, LSU, and UAB game are more than enough to get us the win. All we need is for Shaw to play he did against UT or Ark and that was the same offensive line blocking as the one against Wofford and KY.

I hear what you are saying about the O-line, but I think this game rests squarely on Connor's shoulders. He doesn't need a lot of time to throw it against Clemson. Even what we did against Mizzou which is throw to the TE all game will work against Clemson.

This game is squarely on our QB play.
Old 11-18-2012, 08:56 PM   #7
cofcgamecock9
Banned

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by robgusc76 View Post
Dissagree, I think our running game is the key to winning.
Our running game is going to get somewhere between 125-175 yards. Mark it down (unless we have some sort of 70 yard run).

This game will come down to Shaw. All he has to do is play like he did against UT or Ark and we win.
Old 11-18-2012, 09:01 PM   #8
rosstheboss
Diehard

Male

CockyCash: 461687660
rosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot material

I still think the o line has sucked most of the year. yes, even in some of those games you mentioned. Did you ever see lattimore run through a big hole? no, he worked his a** off for 3 yards at a time. IMO we were able to hide our struggling o line in a lot of games because shaw was healthy(shoulder was hurt i know but not his foot). We could use him more as a running back along with lattimore and not put so much pressure on our line. Now, it is obvious the foot is really bothering him and he isn't the same threat he previously was. We need the o line to have their best game of the year IMO because clemson is going to score some points and shaw needs more time to be able to pick apart clemson's terrible secondary
Old 11-18-2012, 09:04 PM   #9
cofcgamecock9
Banned

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosstheboss View Post
I still think the o line has sucked most of the year. yes, even in some of those games you mentioned. Did you ever see lattimore run through a big hole? no, he worked his a** off for 3 yards at a time. IMO we were able to hide our struggling o line in a lot of games because shaw was healthy(shoulder was hurt i know but not his foot). We could use him more as a running back along with lattimore and not put so much pressure on our line. Now, it is obvious the foot is really bothering him and he isn't the same threat he previously was. We need the o line to have their best game of the year IMO because clemson is going to score some points and shaw needs more time to be able to pick apart clemson's terrible secondary
oh, I am not saying that o-line has been great. But the o-line that played against UT, Ark, etc. is definitely good enough to beat Clemson as long as Shaw plays the way he did against those teams. It would be NICE for Shaw to have more time, but he doesn't need more time than he had against UT or Ark for us to get a win.

Telling you, if Shaw plays like he did against UT, Ark, etc. SC will score 40 points and we win.
Old 11-18-2012, 09:04 PM   #10
FanofCarolina1
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 925
FanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot material

Well our pass defense better get coached up this week also.
Old 11-18-2012, 09:10 PM   #11
cofcgamecock9
Banned

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanofCarolina1 View Post
Well our pass defense better get coached up this week also.
Yeah, but I don't think it will determine the game. I feel pretty comfortable that we are going get beat some and we will have 1-2 interceptions. We will give up about 300-400 yards passing and Clemson will score points. That sounds like a lot, but it isn't what I think determines the game. Clemson will have less than 100 yards rushing. Clemson will look similar to what Tennessee looked like on offense against us.

I am telling you, Clemson's defense is so bad that if Connor will just trust his receivers and throw the ball, SC will win because they will score 40 points. The Connor that played UT, Ark just a few weeks ago wins this game.

The Connor that played Wofford does not.

I guess what I am saying is that there are all kinds of factors that are important, but it seems like I have a comfortable feeling about how most of them are going to go. Clemson is going to beat our secondary some, but I expect it so it doesn't make me nervous.

I am just nervous about which Shaw plays because I really believe it holds the key to the game.
Old 11-18-2012, 09:17 PM   #12
JQ94
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 200
JQ94 has developed his gaff and talonsJQ94 has developed his gaff and talonsJQ94 has developed his gaff and talonsJQ94 has developed his gaff and talonsJQ94 has developed his gaff and talonsJQ94 has developed his gaff and talonsJQ94 has developed his gaff and talonsJQ94 has developed his gaff and talonsJQ94 has developed his gaff and talonsJQ94 has developed his gaff and talonsJQ94 has developed his gaff and talons

if this is true, my week is going to shit.
Old 11-18-2012, 09:19 PM   #13
cofcgamecock9
Banned

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by JQ94 View Post
if this is true, my week is going to shit.
why? All I am saying is that he needs to play just like he did against Ark, UT, etc. He has done it before, he just needs to do it this weekend. His play against UT or Ark would be more than enough to win.

He just can't play like he did against Wofford.
Old 11-18-2012, 09:25 PM   #14
rt3891
ISLAND COCK

Male

CockyCash: 500
rt3891 has hatched from the shell

Quote:
Originally Posted by cofcgamecock9 View Post
why? All I am saying is that he needs to play just like he did against Ark, UT, etc. He has done it before, he just needs to do it this weekend. His play against UT or Ark would be more than enough to win.

He just can't play like he did against Wofford.
You keep saying 'like he did against Ark. and UT', what about like he did against Clemson last year? I would take that in a heartbeat Sat night, but with the foot issue, not sure if that's possible.
rt3891 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 09:28 PM   #15
cofcgamecock9
Banned

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt3891 View Post
You keep saying 'like he did against Ark. and UT', what about like he did against Clemson last year? I would take that in a heartbeat Sat night, but with the foot issue, not sure if that's possible.
Oh, absolutely. Like he did against Clemson last year would be fine.

I simply use UT and Ark because they were just a couple of weeks ago. If he plays like he did against Clemson last year, UAB, Mizzou, LSU, UGA, UT, or Ark, we win. I absolutely believe that. He doesn't have to have a great game (LSU as an example), but he does need to make some throws and trust it. I am not sure what happened against Wofford because he looked fine against UT and Ark.
Old 11-18-2012, 09:34 PM   #16
JQ94
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 200
JQ94 has developed his gaff and talonsJQ94 has developed his gaff and talonsJQ94 has developed his gaff and talonsJQ94 has developed his gaff and talonsJQ94 has developed his gaff and talonsJQ94 has developed his gaff and talonsJQ94 has developed his gaff and talonsJQ94 has developed his gaff and talonsJQ94 has developed his gaff and talonsJQ94 has developed his gaff and talonsJQ94 has developed his gaff and talons

I'm not, nor will I ever question his ability..it's his consistency that is and should be a very large concern.
Old 11-18-2012, 09:36 PM   #17
U-Dub Gamecock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 58166
U-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot material

I think our O-Line will determine more than anything on offense.... They better improve quickly!
Old 11-18-2012, 09:38 PM   #18
cofcgamecock9
Banned

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by JQ94 View Post
I'm not, nor will I ever question his ability..it's his consistency that is and should be a very large concern.
Yep, and that is why I think he holds the keys to this weekend. I feel like I have a good gauge on what we are going to get from the rest of the team. I am not saying it will be spectacular, but at least I feel like I know what to expect.

With Connor, I felt like he had made some pretty good strides after the UT and Ark game. He wasn't great, but he was doing what he needed to do and that was pick up some first downs with his feet and throw the ball. And we scored 38 points in both of those games.

Then Wofford happened. I have no idea what happened to him in one week. I am not down on him. Again, he can easily play well enough to beat Clemson if he just plays like he has many times this year.
Old 11-18-2012, 09:41 PM   #19
cofcgamecock9
Banned

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by U-Dub Gamecock View Post
I think our O-Line will determine more than anything on offense.... They better improve quickly!
Our O-line that played against UT, Ark, UGA, Mizzou, LSU will be more than enough to beat Clemson. If we scored 38 on UT and Arkansas with that O-line what in the world makes you think that Clemson's defensive line is going to do any better??

O-line will not be the issue. Connor had enough time against UT and Ark to throw for plenty of yards. Clemson's defensive front is certainly no better.
Old 11-18-2012, 09:43 PM   #20
U-Dub Gamecock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 58166
U-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by cofcgamecock9 View Post
Our O-line that played against UT, Ark, UGA, Mizzou, LSU will be more than enough to beat Clemson. If we scored 38 on UT and Arkansas with that O-line what in the world makes you think that Clemson's defensive line is going to do any better??

O-line will not be the issue. Connor had enough time against UT and Ark to throw for plenty of yards. Clemson's defensive front is certainly no better.
Maybe they were flat yesterday... But it is a concern