CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
ReadR00ster
A. Pilgrim
jrussjr
markp_vip
B-G
GamecockSuperFan
l^l^lBGCock
thekob
Lonnie
2000grad
Davis dinged up agai (3070)
Winston (2757)
New Photos by Travis (1882)
For the love of God! (1632)
Quarles is a Colt! (1048)
SOS: No QB controve (926)
Waldrop injured (828)
CBS Sports Meathead (621)
Rabbit package? (485)
Sig I'm giving a Daw (447)
In light of our matchup w
Winston
Just read this.
SMU job - Spurrier Jr.?
Waldrop injured
ESPN reporter adding to t
2015 Commitment - Mon Den
Acock's SEC Wrap Up 2014:
Davis dinged up again?
Sig I'm giving a Dawg Bud

Old 11-19-2012, 12:41 PM   #1
jaytda4th
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 500
jaytda4th rules the CockPitjaytda4th rules the CockPitjaytda4th rules the CockPitjaytda4th rules the CockPitjaytda4th rules the CockPitjaytda4th rules the CockPitjaytda4th rules the CockPitjaytda4th rules the CockPitjaytda4th rules the CockPitjaytda4th rules the CockPitjaytda4th rules the CockPit
Default Would Charlie Strong be a good Head Coach here?

Just to be off topic to be thinking down the line. Obviously it depends on how much longer Spurrier is here if this would make sense.

What would you think about bringing Charlie Strong back to SC to be a HC? Would you be worried if he did come here he'd still be looking to move to other schools (like a florida)?
Old 11-19-2012, 12:46 PM   #2
Travelin
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1044
Travelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot material
Default Re: Would Charlie Strong be a good Head Coach here?

Or we could coax Dr. Lou to come back as Head Coach.
Travelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 12:46 PM   #3
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

Depends on who his offensive coordinator is.

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan
CoverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 12:49 PM   #4
Gamecock Rob
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 200
Gamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot material

Yes, I actually heard someone on a podcast or in an article say recently they thought the only SEC school that Strong would go to is USC.
Gamecock Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 12:51 PM   #5
MeesterFriendly
I'll be with you shortly

Male

CockyCash: 392030
MeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot material

Personally, I don't think so.
Old 11-19-2012, 12:56 PM   #6
DiamondGamecock
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 600
DiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post
Depends on who his offensive coordinator is.
Yeah, whoever coaches here, I hope they have an offensive coordinator.
DiamondGamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:01 PM   #7
Kazak
4-Star

Male

Kazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPit

Spurrier might coach another 6 or 7 years. I firmly believe he'll coach at least another 3 or 4 years. He's back in the mix now with a contending program, and he loves it. The landscape of potential replacements will change by the time Steve hangs it up. (Strong will likely have a high profile job at that point.)
Kazak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:01 PM   #8
Carolina4Life
1st Team All-Pro

Male

Carolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot material

Charlie was my favorite but like CoverTwo said it all depends on who the head coach is.
Carolina4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:21 PM   #9
Xnex
Blue Chip

Male

Xnex is developing his combXnex is developing his combXnex is developing his combXnex is developing his combXnex is developing his combXnex is developing his combXnex is developing his combXnex is developing his combXnex is developing his combXnex is developing his comb

Provided he has a good staff working for him and a solid OC calling the plays I think Charlie Strong would be a GREAT coach at USC. But for whatever reason, I think he will end up going to Arkansas at season's end. Charlie would be at or very near the top of my wish list for replacements for Spurrier if he was available when Spurrier decides to hang 'em up for good.
Xnex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:24 PM   #10
blockycocky
Walk On

Male

blockycocky has feathers coming inblockycocky has feathers coming inblockycocky has feathers coming in

I think the stanford coach would be an awesome choice as well.
Old 11-19-2012, 01:27 PM   #11
Spurman15
4-Star

Male

Spurman15 is developing his combSpurman15 is developing his combSpurman15 is developing his combSpurman15 is developing his combSpurman15 is developing his combSpurman15 is developing his combSpurman15 is developing his combSpurman15 is developing his comb

I think Charlie Strong is headed to UT.

"I am not a desert but a SANDSTORM builds within me"
Spurman15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:34 PM   #12
Xnex
Blue Chip

Male

Xnex is developing his combXnex is developing his combXnex is developing his combXnex is developing his combXnex is developing his combXnex is developing his combXnex is developing his combXnex is developing his combXnex is developing his combXnex is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurman15 View Post
I think Charlie Strong is headed to UT.
My GOD, for a moment there I saw that as you using the abbreviation of the states and you were saying Strong was headed to Utah. My eyes crossed whan I thought you were saying that.
Xnex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:37 PM   #13
LakeMonticelloCock
Blue Chip

Male

LakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudlyLakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudlyLakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudlyLakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudlyLakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudlyLakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudlyLakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudlyLakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudlyLakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudlyLakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudlyLakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xnex View Post
Provided he has a good staff working for him and a solid OC calling the plays I think Charlie Strong would be a GREAT coach at USC. But for whatever reason, I think he will end up going to Arkansas at season's end. Charlie would be at or very near the top of my wish list for replacements for Spurrier if he was available when Spurrier decides to hang 'em up for good.

Arkansas is aiming higher than Strong right now.

Spurrier isn't leaving for at least another 3-4 years. By then there is no telling what coach might have made his mark and could be a good candidate for USC by then.

Keep in mind many Gamecocks though Skip Holtz would be a great fit here if Spurrier only coached 5 years or so at USC. Now Skip's about to be fired from USF.
LakeMonticelloCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 02:20 PM   #14
kabercr2
Blue Chip

Male

kabercr2 is sharpening his clawskabercr2 is sharpening his clawskabercr2 is sharpening his clawskabercr2 is sharpening his clawskabercr2 is sharpening his claws

How about Rick Stockstill?
kabercr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 02:23 PM   #15
Ownage McGee
Banned

Male

Ownage McGee is developing his combOwnage McGee is developing his combOwnage McGee is developing his combOwnage McGee is developing his combOwnage McGee is developing his combOwnage McGee is developing his combOwnage McGee is developing his combOwnage McGee is developing his combOwnage McGee is developing his comb

I think the 3-3-5 system he implemented here was brilliant. He seemed to get the most of the talent he had to work with. But for the life of me I couldn't figure out why we always gave up big 3rd downs. 3rd and 10, 15, 20, 25, didn't matter. We would give them up everytime.
Ownage McGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 02:24 PM   #16
803scdantes
Bowl MVP

Male

803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeMonticelloCock View Post
Arkansas is aiming higher than Strong right now.

Spurrier isn't leaving for at least another 3-4 years. By then there is no telling what coach might have made his mark and could be a good candidate for USC by then.

Keep in mind many Gamecocks though Skip Holtz would be a great fit here if Spurrier only coached 5 years or so at USC. Now Skip's about to be fired from USF.
They also thought Ellis Johnson would be a great fire and now he's about to be fired from USM after one 0-11 season.
Old 11-19-2012, 02:25 PM   #17
LegalCock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1500
LegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot material

He would be a good fit here, but the timing isn't likely to work out. Also, don't forget dude is from R-kansas.
LegalCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 02:28 PM   #18
LegalCock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1500
LegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabercr2 View Post
How about Rick Stockstill?

Possible, but he needs to move up a rung and duplicate the success first. This is bigtime now dude. We just hired Lou Holtz and Steve Spurrier. Next is Bill Bellichek.
LegalCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 02:37 PM   #19
Travelin
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1044
Travelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot material

Maybe Jon Gruden is secretly our head coach in waiting.
Travelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 03:37 PM   #20
yazoo
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1813
yazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaytda4th View Post
Just to be off topic to be thinking down the line. Obviously it depends on how much longer Spurrier is here if this would make sense.

What would you think about bringing Charlie Strong back to SC to be a HC? Would you be worried if he did come here he'd still be looking to move to other schools (like a florida)?
YOu want us to rehire third and long, charlie strong?

Shaq Attack
yazoo is offline   Reply With Quote