CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
gamecock88
Dietz
GregoryHouse
zcoop
Jdallen20
Yearofthegamecock
Badazcock
roosterdude21
Blackland
Team Garcia
**USC vs. Auburn GAM (14260)
ESPN Game Day Commen (1831)
Simple "yes&quo (1383)
Phil Steele just pre (1081)
Garcia: Change the R (647)
TeMarcus Blanton (642)
Bashing Players, coa (465)
Miss St vs. Kentucky (302)
Anybody just have th (296)
Where in Seattle (211)
**USC vs. Auburn GAME Thr
Hire Muschamp as DC!
2016 - Avery McCall
UFC 179: Jose Aldo vs Cha
WET PAPER SACK DEFENSE
Anybody just have that &q
ESPN Game Day Comments Re
Bama @ Tennessee
Turtle Beach
Miss St vs. Kentucky

Old 11-19-2012, 02:22 PM   #1
Backup QB
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 500
Backup QB is learning to peck
Default My realistic take on the game...

Fisrt off I am not confident about this game, nor am I doom and gloom. One minute I feel good the next I dont. This game is going to be what happens when a stoppable force meets a moveable object.

I will start with my biggest concern which is our offense. Connor Shaw is visibly hurt and afraid to run and risk further injury. That makes our offense rather one dimentional and basically ruins running out of the shotgun. clempson will figure out rather quickly that we are not running the zone read and that every time it looks like a run the ball is either going to Miles/Davis. I just finished watching the clempson game from last year and then I watched the Wofford replay. It felt like I was watching two different QB's. Last year Shaw took the snap looked downfield if the first option wasn't there he would look for the second or sometimes the third. If it wasn't there he took off and ran north south with authority. What I am seeing at this point this year is indecisiveness and CS feeling pressure that sometimes is not there. It seems like every pass is either a 2 yard screen or a 40 yard bomb there is no in between. He is not checking down like he used to, and when he runs he runs east west hovering the line of scrimmage and if he decides to go past it he is running very gingerly. The middle of clempsons defense is wide open every single time but unfortunately that seems to be the last place on the field CS is comfortable throwing to.

I am also concerned about our receivers giving up on plays. I do have some experience in this area. I played small time college ball, nothing like SEC ball and we ran a very heavy qb run pass option offense. Nine times out of ten our QB would take off running or end up throwing to a RB. As a receiver I can tell you that you can only see it happen so many times before you anticipate not getting the ball and start running lazy routes.

As for our defense I think anyone who knows anything about football will tell you if we pressure boyd then good things will happen for our defense. The fact is that we will not be able to pressure him on every single play. My biggest concern for our defense is that our secondary is going to bite on play action which I have seen them do many times (see the long pass in the Wofford game). It is only going to take them doing that 3 or 4 times for us to be completely out of the game.

Bottom line is our defense is good and so is their offense. Their defense is bad and our offense is no where near where it should be.

That is my take and I am sure some will call me a tater for not saying we will win by 30 and giving their offense any credit but I am just calling it like I see it.
Backup QB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:13 PM   #2
Justhatguy
4-Star

Male

Justhatguy is making other chickens nervousJusthatguy is making other chickens nervousJusthatguy is making other chickens nervousJusthatguy is making other chickens nervousJusthatguy is making other chickens nervousJusthatguy is making other chickens nervousJusthatguy is making other chickens nervousJusthatguy is making other chickens nervous
Default Re: My realistic take on the game...

I'm just worried if this game becomes a shootout, do we have the offense to keep up. Our defense will play well, but it can be a KO or punt returned for a td or a broken run or missed tackle on a pass that can start a shootout. Do we have enough firepower to win a 40+ point game?

I kinda think we might try a ball or time control type of game but I'm not too sure if Miles is the type of back who will get us the 4+ ypc needed to keep the sticks moving. If Wilds was back there, diff story. And with Shaw's tentativeness with his injuries, he's been known to hand the ball off 8 out of 10 times on the read. Just think if Clemson dared him to keep it every single time, can he run it effectively?

I hope SOS's playcall will be an Alabama '10 type of game where it will be the difference but I dont have faith that we can win a shootout. For a Clempson team that has a mindset that they can score 50+ when they want, this might be tough.
Justhatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:16 PM   #3
ATL COCK 31
Recruit

Male

ATL COCK 31 is developing his combATL COCK 31 is developing his combATL COCK 31 is developing his combATL COCK 31 is developing his combATL COCK 31 is developing his combATL COCK 31 is developing his combATL COCK 31 is developing his combATL COCK 31 is developing his comb

I think they move the ball well but we hold them to more FGs than TDs. We score more TDs than FGs so we come out with a tough win

ATL COCK 31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:20 PM   #4
Carolina4Life
1st Team All-Pro

Male

Carolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot material

I would add value to this thread but I have a hard time reading essay's on a message board.
Carolina4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:26 PM   #5
imabeastonu
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 200
imabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot material

our defense will get stops when it matters most
imabeastonu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:30 PM   #6
Kickerspl80
Too Deep

Male

CockyCash: 10000692
Kickerspl80 is USC mascot materialKickerspl80 is USC mascot materialKickerspl80 is USC mascot materialKickerspl80 is USC mascot materialKickerspl80 is USC mascot materialKickerspl80 is USC mascot materialKickerspl80 is USC mascot materialKickerspl80 is USC mascot materialKickerspl80 is USC mascot materialKickerspl80 is USC mascot materialKickerspl80 is USC mascot material

Lots of members posting this week after not posting for months and months. Maybe this is a big week. Who are we playing again?
Old 11-19-2012, 06:34 PM   #7
ACPhilson
Really hates Orange Teams

Male

CockyCash: 1000200
ACPhilson is USC mascot materialACPhilson is USC mascot materialACPhilson is USC mascot materialACPhilson is USC mascot materialACPhilson is USC mascot materialACPhilson is USC mascot materialACPhilson is USC mascot materialACPhilson is USC mascot materialACPhilson is USC mascot materialACPhilson is USC mascot materialACPhilson is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickerspl80 View Post
Lots of members posting this week after not posting for months and months. Maybe this is a big week. Who are we playing again?

North Greenville High.
Old 11-19-2012, 06:35 PM   #8
ElTiger
Commander Cool

Male

CockyCash: 300
ElTiger is USC mascot materialElTiger is USC mascot materialElTiger is USC mascot materialElTiger is USC mascot materialElTiger is USC mascot materialElTiger is USC mascot materialElTiger is USC mascot materialElTiger is USC mascot materialElTiger is USC mascot materialElTiger is USC mascot materialElTiger is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACPhilson View Post
North Greenville High.
I thought we were playing y'all this week. Is that next week buddy?

ElTiger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:51 PM   #9
Cockholio
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Cockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot material

My take is that we're capable of playing for a hard-fought, single digit win. I also believe we're capable of crapping the bed offensively and getting blown out due to the defense getting worn down. The only thing I'm sure of in this game is that our defense will play with heart, regardless of what happens offensively.
Old 11-19-2012, 07:25 PM   #10
BCWriter
Syvelle's Biggest Fan

Male

BCWriter has earned his spursBCWriter has earned his spursBCWriter has earned his spursBCWriter has earned his spursBCWriter has earned his spursBCWriter has earned his spurs

I don't know why some of yall think our gameplan will be different. We'll line up in the zone read as usual and struggle early. Maybe Connor can hit a couple play-actions down the field.

It'll be up to us playing mistake-free and keeping the Tigers out of the endzone. We do those two things, we win. If not, we're headed to Atlanta.
BCWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:14 PM   #11
Red Devil
Two Deep

Male

Red Devil has earned his spursRed Devil has earned his spursRed Devil has earned his spursRed Devil has earned his spursRed Devil has earned his spursRed Devil has earned his spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCWriter View Post
I don't know why some of yall think our gameplan will be different. We'll line up in the zone read as usual and struggle early. Maybe Connor can hit a couple play-actions down the field.

It'll be up to us playing mistake-free and keeping the Tigers out of the endzone. We do those two things, we win. If not, we're headed to Atlanta.
Watching Connor closely this season and I realize he never pump fakes. Garcia used it all the time to good effect.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:17 PM   #12
cofcgamecock9
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 100500
cofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Devil View Post
Watching Connor closely this season and I realize he never pump fakes. Garcia used it all the time to good effect.
I am not saying he does it all the time, but Connor has had several successful plays where he pump faked. I can think of three or four right off the top of my head.
cofcgamecock9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:18 PM   #13
Carolina4Life
1st Team All-Pro

Male

Carolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot material

Shaw pumped faked last week.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:27 PM   #14
SpecOps Cock
Banned

Male

SpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot material

I have seen him pump fake then get sacked!!
SpecOps Cock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:35 PM   #15
Carolina4Life
1st Team All-Pro

Male

All I know is I HOPE TO GOD he get's rid of the damn ball! FOR ONCE can we have an away game where that happens?
Old 11-19-2012, 08:53 PM   #16
talon
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 2400
talon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPit

Last year Clemson played a lot of man-to-man which let Connor run a great deal. I expect Zone to force Connor to throw.
talon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:56 PM   #17
Carolina4Life
1st Team All-Pro

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by talon View Post
Last year Clemson played a lot of man-to-man which let Connor run a great deal. I expect Zone to force Connor to throw.
Then I expect sacks!
Old 11-19-2012, 09:16 PM   #18
usc1
Class of 2013

Male

usc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot material

It'll be a close game. Not a blowout like the last 3 years
Old 11-20-2012, 12:21 AM   #19
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backup QB View Post
Fisrt off I am not confident about this game, nor am I doom and gloom. One minute I feel good the next I dont. This game is going to be what happens when a stoppable force meets a moveable object.

I will start with my biggest concern which is our offense. Connor Shaw is visibly hurt and afraid to run and risk further injury. That makes our offense rather one dimentional and basically ruins running out of the shotgun. clempson will figure out rather quickly that we are not running the zone read and that every time it looks like a run the ball is either going to Miles/Davis. I just finished watching the clempson game from last year and then I watched the Wofford replay. It felt like I was watching two different QB's. Last year Shaw took the snap looked downfield if the first option wasn't there he would look for the second or sometimes the third. If it wasn't there he took off and ran north south with authority. What I am seeing at this point this year is indecisiveness and CS feeling pressure that sometimes is not there. It seems like every pass is either a 2 yard screen or a 40 yard bomb there is no in between. He is not checking down like he used to, and when he runs he runs east west hovering the line of scrimmage and if he decides to go past it he is running very gingerly. The middle of clempsons defense is wide open every single time but unfortunately that seems to be the last place on the field CS is comfortable throwing to.

I am also concerned about our receivers giving up on plays. I do have some experience in this area. I played small time college ball, nothing like SEC ball and we ran a very heavy qb run pass option offense. Nine times out of ten our QB would take off running or end up throwing to a RB. As a receiver I can tell you that you can only see it happen so many times before you anticipate not getting the ball and start running lazy routes.

As for our defense I think anyone who knows anything about football will tell you if we pressure boyd then good things will happen for our defense. The fact is that we will not be able to pressure him on every single play. My biggest concern for our defense is that our secondary is going to bite on play action which I have seen them do many times (see the long pass in the Wofford game). It is only going to take them doing that 3 or 4 times for us to be completely out of the game.

Bottom line is our defense is good and so is their offense. Their defense is bad and our offense is no where near where it should be.

That is my take and I am sure some will call me a tater for not saying we will win by 30 and giving their offense any credit but I am just calling it like I see it.
I respect what you said....everyone has a right to their opinion.....and I especially agree with you on WR running lazy routes because they can tell when CS is going to take off running.
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 12:27 AM   #20
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justhatguy View Post
I'm just worried if this game becomes a shootout, do we have the offense to keep up. Our defense will play well, but it can be a KO or punt returned for a td or a broken run or missed tackle on a pass that can start a shootout. Do we have enough firepower to win a 40+ point game?

I kinda think we might try a ball or time control type of game but I'm not too sure if Miles is the type of back who will get us the 4+ ypc needed to keep the sticks moving. If Wilds was back there, diff story. And with Shaw's tentativeness with his injuries, he's been known to hand the ball off 8 out of 10 times on the read. Just think if Clemson dared him to keep it every single time, can he run it effectively?

I hope SOS's playcall will be an Alabama '10 type of game where it will be the difference but I dont have faith that we can win a shootout. For a Clempson team that has a mindset that they can score 50+ when they want, this might be tough.
I'd like to see Miles/Davis get 30 carries. Nothing causes a high speed team to self destruct like not being able to get back on the field quickly enough. Even if we don't score, just to keep our offense on the field for 5-7 minutes 4-5 times a game will really help, and keeps our defense rested. I think this is the game that Whammy finally turns up the heat. If Boyd gets time, he'll be successful.
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote