CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Other Sports > The Locker Room

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
JerseyBird
FurmanCock
Cockhornleghorn
Gamecocks1137
Master Bedroom
Copperhead
sanford
b381l
ConwayGamecock
GamecockUltimate
Venables to TAMU? (4265)
Vegas line moving on (3093)
2014 Junkanoo Jam ** (2856)
Phil Kronblut show (1464)
Arkansas... (1462)
Women's Soccer Elite (1092)
End of the aTm / LSU (965)
Anyone know what thi (903)
Star Wars: The Force (367)
marshall/WKU (345)
2014 Class AA Division II
Dooms interview with Ronn
NCAAF: SOUTH CAROLINA @ C
Texans getting frustrated
End of the aTm / LSU game
Constant Updates on Watso
Arkansas...
2014 Junkanoo Jam **USC W
Vegas line moving on game
Tailgating tomorrow for t

Old 11-19-2012, 06:59 PM   #1
Don Giovanni
The original DG

Male

CockyCash: 200
Don Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot material
Default Who will be the next to join the SEC?

With the big news of Maryland and Rutgers heading to the Big 10, I feel it's only a matter of time before the SEC makes a serious push to add two more schools. If that happens, who do you think the likely candidates are? Keep in mind I'm asking who do you think it WILL be, not who you want. Of course I would like to discuss preferences as well, but before you give your preference, please give your opinion on who will actually be joining next. Again, this assumes there will be another move in the near future.

I think VT has to be the obvious target. They pretty much suck this year, but that's the exception rather than the norm. There culture seems to be a perfect fit, and they are nationally recognized. Plus it would allow the SEC to expand its footprint a little more.

As for the second school, I'm really unsure of who it would be. Logic would suggest a school in NC would get the nod, but who is a realistic target? I think UNC and Duke are pretty much set in stone to be members of the ACC, so they're probably out of the discussion. Wake Forest could work, but are they a good choice? Then we have NC State. They might be a fit culturally, or at least have the potential to fit in. I'm thinking they're similar to what South Carolina was when we joined the SEC. And outside of the ACC schools in NC, the only POSSIBLE school would be ECU and I don't think they would come close to being in the conversation.

So my thought is the SEC would definitely go after VT, but they probably won't add just one. I'm completely at a loss for a second school. Of course it doesn't have to be in NC, but what are some other possibilities?

Eat! Pugnant! Vincere! Removere asinum!
Don Giovanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:02 PM   #2
smoovecock
The Gamecock Pimps Daddy

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Homecoming King 
smoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot material
Default Re: Who will be the next to join the SEC?

NC State....they bring in the NC market and they are trying to be relevant in football to go along with their other sports programs.....It will be very tuff for NCSU to leave the acc but I feel the money that will be involved will be too much for the Pack to turn down...
Old 11-19-2012, 07:03 PM   #3
USCBatgirl21
Official Baseball Chick

Female

CockyCash: 1000500
USCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot material
Send a message via MSN to USCBatgirl21

NCSU and VT

NCSU will do it just to tell the rest of Tobacco Road to kiss their wolf butts.
USCBatgirl21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:03 PM   #4
Spurrier_Superior_One
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 26397596
Spurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot material

I think VT and NCSU for sure but maybe add Oklahoma State
Spurrier_Superior_One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:05 PM   #5
smoovecock
The Gamecock Pimps Daddy

Male

smoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurrier_Superior_One View Post
I think VT and NCSU for sure but maybe add Oklahoma State
..I have forgotten about OSU...But I would think that OSU and OU would be a package deal.....and didnt they sign on with a big buy out when the alignment happend..??
Old 11-19-2012, 07:06 PM   #6
Kickerspl80
Too Deep

Male

CockyCash: 10000692
Kickerspl80 is USC mascot materialKickerspl80 is USC mascot materialKickerspl80 is USC mascot materialKickerspl80 is USC mascot materialKickerspl80 is USC mascot materialKickerspl80 is USC mascot materialKickerspl80 is USC mascot materialKickerspl80 is USC mascot materialKickerspl80 is USC mascot materialKickerspl80 is USC mascot materialKickerspl80 is USC mascot material

My family is all from Raliegh and went to NCState so ive been there quite a bit. That is one BIG ASS school. The campus is huge with tons of students. I think the football team is lightyears behind being SEC caliber, but with that big of a brand and following, they could be a sleeping giant. They remind me somewhat of Tex A&M, they joined the SEC and their large following got pumped about it and now they are quite good.
Old 11-19-2012, 07:07 PM   #7
Don Giovanni
The original DG

Male

Don Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCBatgirl21 View Post
NCSU and VT

NCSU will do it just to tell the rest of Tobacco Road to kiss their wolf butts.
So you're thinking their motivation would be sort of like A&M's from last year? I can buy that. I wonder when the next moves will happen. I don't think it will be VERY soon, but within the next two years or so. Then again, the ACC had already bumped the buyout way up to try and keep members and that didn't prevent Maryland, so I wonder if VT and NC State might approach the SEC to try and get out before the ACC tries to up the fee to $100,000,000.

Old 11-19-2012, 07:09 PM   #8
USCBatgirl21
Official Baseball Chick

Female

USCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot material

Yes I do. While, as Kicker mentions, they are behind SEC caliber in athletics, they still have the intangibles. It would take some time, but they "fit the mold" of an SEC school. As does VT.
Old 11-19-2012, 07:09 PM   #9
smoovecock
The Gamecock Pimps Daddy

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickerspl80 View Post
My family is all from Raliegh and went to NCState so ive been there quite a bit. That is one BIG ASS school. The campus is huge with tons of students. I think the football team is lightyears behind being SEC caliber, but with that big of a brand and following, they could be a sleeping giant. They remind me somewhat of Tex A&M, they joined the SEC and their large following got pumped about it and now they are quite good.
...Good example right here.....Even though it is small their stadium only hold about 58 Grand...but it is nice and well planned out....Not a bad seat in the house and their fans really want a good product...
Old 11-19-2012, 07:11 PM   #10
USCBatgirl21
Official Baseball Chick

Female

NCSU also fits the mold in other sports as well, especially baseball, which we all know the SEC is the lead conference in the Nation. Being in the ACC is holding NCSU back from reaching their full potential IMO.
Old 11-19-2012, 07:12 PM   #11
Kickerspl80
Too Deep

Male

Kickerspl80 is USC mascot materialKickerspl80 is USC mascot materialKickerspl80 is USC mascot materialKickerspl80 is USC mascot materialKickerspl80 is USC mascot materialKickerspl80 is USC mascot materialKickerspl80 is USC mascot materialKickerspl80 is USC mascot materialKickerspl80 is USC mascot materialKickerspl80 is USC mascot materialKickerspl80 is USC mascot material

Thats right. With SEC football income and that big fanbase they can add onto the stadium if needbe...I mean theyre basically o par with Kentuckys Commonwealth stadium and past Vandy already
Old 11-19-2012, 07:14 PM   #12
Kickerspl80
Too Deep

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCBatgirl21 View Post
NCSU also fits the mold in other sports as well, especially baseball, which we all know the SEC is the lead conference in the Nation. Being in the ACC is holding NCSU back from reaching their full potential IMO.
I completly agree with you. If NCSU gets some of those recruits that UNC gets in baseball then they are automatically a competitor. And that SEC logo on their shirts is quite the factor when recruiting
Old 11-19-2012, 07:14 PM   #13
smoovecock
The Gamecock Pimps Daddy

Male

Another thought....OU and OSU are still out there....I think with the success that Texas AM has had it will probably make them go back and rethink things some what....
Old 11-19-2012, 07:15 PM   #14
smoovecock
The Gamecock Pimps Daddy

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoovecock View Post
Another thought....OU and OSU are still out there....I think with the success that Texas AM has had it will probably make them go back and rethink things some what....
...and continuing that thought...I would hate to see 2 programs like OU and OSU come in...We are heavy already with great football programs...Its hard enough for one of us to get to the championship game...
Old 11-19-2012, 07:16 PM   #15
Kickerspl80
Too Deep

Male

Im scared to add a OU or OSU to the SEC. Can u imagine that, there would be ten SEC teams in the top ten every year lol!!!
Old 11-19-2012, 07:22 PM   #16
Don Giovanni
The original DG

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoovecock View Post
That's a pretty good point, Smoove. I just wonder if either or both would seriously consider making the move. I remember T. Boone Pickens saying he didn't want OSU to switch, and while he's only one man, he's definitely an important figure in OSU's world.

Old 11-19-2012, 07:26 PM   #17
LegalCock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1500
LegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot material

I don't think NCSU would come. They couldn't stand not being in the hoops centric universe. You don't understand, they gave up 60 points this weekend in what used to be a big regional rivalry and all the talk on the radio and in the halls today is about losing an early season basketball game that doesn't mean shit. Its like another planet from SEC country. Would be much more likely to peel off the virgina schools.
LegalCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:29 PM   #18
smoovecock
The Gamecock Pimps Daddy

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Giovanni View Post
That's a pretty good point, Smoove. I just wonder if either or both would seriously consider making the move. I remember T. Boone Pickens saying he didn't want OSU to switch, and while he's only one man, he's definitely an important figure in OSU's world.
...Yea....He is the God Father out there for sure...Sorry I had too..
Old 11-19-2012, 07:31 PM   #19
smoovecock
The Gamecock Pimps Daddy

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalCock View Post
I don't think NCSU would come. They couldn't stand not being in the hoops centric universe. You don't understand, they gave up 60 points this weekend in what used to be a big regional rivalry and all the talk on the radio and in the halls today is about losing an early season basketball game that doesn't mean shit. Its like another planet from SEC country. Would be much more likely to peel off the virgina schools.
...They do like their basketball for sure...But State has been an after thought in BB compared to unc and dooke....I think they would jump at the chance....Speaking of living near or in tobacco road...I moved to NMB 12 years ago and it was weird listening to Gamecock fans talking about dooke or unc basketball and how much they love one or the other.....
Old 11-19-2012, 07:35 PM   #20
CockyMBA
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 500
CockyMBA is sharpening his clawsCockyMBA is sharpening his clawsCockyMBA is sharpening his clawsCockyMBA is sharpening his clawsCockyMBA is sharpening his claws

I think Florida State.

Here's why:

1. Maryland and FSU were the only ACC schools to vote against the ACC when they raised their exit fee to $50 million. Sounds like they want their options open and they don't want big financial impact to affect them IF they wanted to leave.

2. FSU doesn't add to the footprint, but it adds to the prestige. FSU is a national brand and if you look at all the teams that have switched conferences lately, they are not big names. The SEC wants to remain the POWER conference. Does any other school out there give them more bang? If they take the BEST southern traditional football power who's NOT in the SEC, that's HUGE

3. The SEC has flirted with FSU twice before. I was reading somewhere that explained when we joined the SEC, FSU was the #1 East target & we were #2. Discussions were had and they were on the right track, then at the last moment, FSU administration balked. After that, we were the Eastern compliment to Arky in 92. I also think something was mentioned in the 80s with a four team expansion (Texas & Arky in the West + FSU & USC in the East). That failed too in part cause TX legislature wanted A&M to be a part of that package, but the SEC didn't want two from the same state.

4. FSU is solid in basketball and baseball. Facilities are top notch. They are already operating like an SEC school. But when they a national brand BUT have to operate with the same conference share as Pittsburgh. Or Wake Forest...how long do you think that will last. It's like they need to go independent, which no one is doing anymore OR figure out a way to step it up. Does the SEC turn down an FSU request? I don't care how problematic scheduling 14+ teams are. They will make it work.

As for the other team, the Eastern/Southern teams that make the most sense are NCST or VT. (I think VT because it's closer to a large Top 10 market - DC).

If I'm commissioner of the SEC, I'd try and pair FSU with Oklahoma in the West.

EDIT. Found the link to FSU in the SEC in the 80s: http://blog.al.com/press-register-sp...arly_join.html
CockyMBA is offline   Reply With Quote