CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Spurticus
COCKYTALKIN
b381l
sanford
usc1
TAFC 5 1981
B-G
Mt. Lattimore
gamecockgal
Gamecockfanatic4
Top 10 Reasons Why T (2169)
Spurrier vs Saban (986)
Jaguars Justin Black (917)
Gurley or Davis (620)
Expect A Healthy Dos (462)
Lattimore Sidelined (429)
Frank Caliendo + Mor (405)
Anyone Switching to (334)
Coach's media golf p (326)
Darth Vader 'Vette (287)
****Official 2014 Gamecoc
Lattimore Sidelined By Le
Expect A Healthy Dose of
Gurley or Davis
Places to eat in Conway?
2015 - Mon Denson
2015 - Amonte Caban
college football match up
2016 - Brandon McIlwain
Steve Spurrier - Say What

Old 11-21-2012, 10:18 PM   #1
cofcgamecock9
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 100500
cofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot material
Default Connor Shaw's rushing stats..

This is a direct quote from Steve Spurrier earlier in the season.. "There's no question that running the ball is what Connor does, which makes him a good quarterback," Spurrier said. "So if he plays, he'll run it some. If he can't run, I don't think he's quite as effective."

Games where Connor has rushed more than 5 times and his yards per carry.
Vandy - 6.6 YPC
Mizzou - 3.4 YPC (and had 80 yard TD called back)
KY - 4.0 YPC
Georgia - 5.6 YPC
LSU - -0.1 YPC
Florida - -0.2 YPC
Tenn - 1.8 YPC
Arkansas - 1.3 YPC
Wofford - 1.8 YPC

For the past five games, Connor hasn't been effective running the ball and he is not even averaging 2 yards per carry. I know it includes sacks, but he was sacked in the first four games as well. Look at how glaring the difference is in the first few games compared to the last part of the season.

When did Connor hurt his foot? I didn't realize the drop off in his mobility had been that significant until I watched the highlights of his first 6 games of this year that are posted in another thread. He looks like a completely different player.

Last edited by cofcgamecock9; 11-21-2012 at 10:29 PM.
cofcgamecock9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 02:38 PM   #2
pitchcock
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 29799800
pitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot material
Default Re: Connor Shaw's rushing stats..

Maybe it's his foot, or maybe the staff has been emphasizing to him to run through his progressions before he takes off running.

A lot of the times he's took off running he still had time to throw, and he had receivers open.
pitchcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 04:18 PM   #3
TKE226
Damn Yankee

Male

CockyCash: 1768234
TKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot material

does that mean he isnt a very good pocket passer?
TKE226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 05:41 PM   #4
doccock
Super Doc

Male

CockyCash: 500
doccock rules the CockPitdoccock rules the CockPitdoccock rules the CockPitdoccock rules the CockPitdoccock rules the CockPitdoccock rules the CockPitdoccock rules the CockPitdoccock rules the CockPitdoccock rules the CockPitdoccock rules the CockPitdoccock rules the CockPit

The biggest difference I see is he doesn't push it when he runs anymore. He just takes the open yards and then goes down. Which is what coach has been telling him to do. It means he might not break the big one but he will make it through the whole game by not taking too many hits.
doc
Old 11-22-2012, 06:43 PM   #5
JAYBEZ
1st Team All-SEC

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Signature 2007 NCAA Bracket Challenge: 2007 NCAA Bracket Challenge - Given for: 1st place Fark Off Winner: Award given for winning a CockyTalk Fark Off - Given for: Winning the Farkoff 
CockyCash: 117561006
JAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by cofcgamecock9 View Post
This is a direct quote from Steve Spurrier earlier in the season.. "There's no question that running the ball is what Connor does, which makes him a good quarterback," Spurrier said. "So if he plays, he'll run it some. If he can't run, I don't think he's quite as effective."

Games where Connor has rushed more than 5 times and his yards per carry.
Vandy - 6.6 YPC
Mizzou - 3.4 YPC (and had 80 yard TD called back)
KY - 4.0 YPC
Georgia - 5.6 YPC
LSU - -0.1 YPC
Florida - -0.2 YPC
Tenn - 1.8 YPC
Arkansas - 1.3 YPC
Wofford - 1.8 YPC

For the past five games, Connor hasn't been effective running the ball and he is not even averaging 2 yards per carry. I know it includes sacks, but he was sacked in the first four games as well. Look at how glaring the difference is in the first few games compared to the last part of the season.

When did Connor hurt his foot? I didn't realize the drop off in his mobility had been that significant until I watched the highlights of his first 6 games of this year that are posted in another thread. He looks like a completely different player.

I started noticing this a few games back, that we still run the zone read but seldom does shaw pull it and run.

I think it has slowed the entire running game. Teams know where to focus and aren't caught off balance.
Old 11-22-2012, 07:34 PM   #6
cofcgamecock9
Banned

Male

cofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAYBEZ View Post
I started noticing this a few games back, that we still run the zone read but seldom does shaw pull it and run.

I think it has slowed the entire running game. Teams know where to focus and aren't caught off balance.
I noticed this too. In fact, I went back and watched Wofford game and posted about it in another thread. He didn't keep that ball one time in that game on a zone read play. Not once. He had a couple of scrambles and one designed QB draw, but no zone reads where he kept it.
Old 11-22-2012, 10:03 PM   #7
robgusc76
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 101200
robgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to robgusc76

South Carolina is 2-0 when Kenny Miles has 20 carries and 100 yards...Just sayin
robgusc76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 10:04 PM   #8
robgusc76
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 101200
robgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to robgusc76

Quote:
Originally Posted by cofcgamecock9 View Post
I noticed this too. In fact, I went back and watched Wofford game and posted about it in another thread. He didn't keep that ball one time in that game on a zone read play. Not once. He had a couple of scrambles and one designed QB draw, but no zone reads where he kept it.
Part of that, atleast in the wofford game was his foot.
robgusc76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 10:09 PM   #9
cofcgamecock9
Banned

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by robgusc76 View Post
Part of that, atleast in the wofford game was his foot.
Oh I am sure it is mostly his foot. But what I am saying is that if his foot is bothering him that bad, he may not be our best choice at QB for the Clemson game. Based specifically on matchup a and how weak Clemsons secondary is now

Go back to the very top of this thread and look at the quote directly from Spurrier early in the season. He directly says that what makes Connor a good qb is his ability to run. If he doesn't have that ability, then I am hoping they at least have him on a short leash Saturday night.

No disrespect at all to Connor because I love the guy. But as bad as Clemsons secondary is this year, we need a guy in that will throw the ball.
Old 11-22-2012, 10:25 PM   #10
CockTail
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 500
CockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot material

The other thing Shaw does, is require a spy from the defense, whether he runs or not. Shaw gives us the best chance to win, period.