CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > The Water Cooler

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
NAGamecockFan
taylorssc
Gamecocks321
GarnetSwarm1990
doubledribble
Lonnie
El Cid Ranger
Master Bedroom
SC Sandlapper
So Disappointed With (1805)
Rank the QBs under S (1353)
Back like cooked cra (945)
Tennessee game (649)
Who start on the d l (607)
Google finally gets (471)
No Comments on the H (441)
lack of production= (377)
Squats (332)
NFL: CHARGERS @ BRON (153)
Why I think we beat Aubur
So Disappointed With The
Thoughts on the basketbal
SEC Debate: Best candidat
Back like cooked crack
Discussion: 2015 Recruiti
Ranking Top HC jobs in SE
If the Head Ball Coach re
Vote For Cocky
Rank the QBs under Spurri

Old 11-22-2012, 07:50 AM   #1
AikenRooster2112
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 500
AikenRooster2112 is developing his combAikenRooster2112 is developing his combAikenRooster2112 is developing his combAikenRooster2112 is developing his combAikenRooster2112 is developing his combAikenRooster2112 is developing his combAikenRooster2112 is developing his combAikenRooster2112 is developing his combAikenRooster2112 is developing his comb
Default If everyone is going to work on the Holidays....

... maybe we need to do away with them. I'm working, and I saw McDonald's, Bojangles, Waffle House, and the c-stores are all open, and Wal-Mart,Target, and others are opening tonight.
If we're going to celebrate a Holiday, then let's do it; other than that, can we end the charade?
AikenRooster2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 08:01 AM   #2
FloydTheBarber
Banned

Male

FloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot material
Default Re: If everyone is going to work on the Holidays....

When I was in college I worked at a pretty busy bar. If I wanted off for any holiday, I requested it off early enough so that my managers could make the schedule knowing i would be off.
FloydTheBarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 08:30 AM   #3
Sir Cuss
Two Deep

Female

Sir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot material

I agree. The police, fire department, white house, and hospitals should all be closed today because, if not, Thanksgiving is a farce.

Sir Cuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 08:45 AM   #4
AikenRooster2112
4-Star

Male

AikenRooster2112 is developing his combAikenRooster2112 is developing his combAikenRooster2112 is developing his combAikenRooster2112 is developing his combAikenRooster2112 is developing his combAikenRooster2112 is developing his combAikenRooster2112 is developing his combAikenRooster2112 is developing his combAikenRooster2112 is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Cuss View Post
I agree. The police, fire department, white house, and hospitals should all be closed today because, if not, Thanksgiving is a farce.
You can always count on one or two posters going to the extreme. None of the jobs I mentioned are essential services. Nay, they reflect the extent of the commercialization of the holidays and the basis for my question.
Old 11-22-2012, 08:49 AM   #5
Sir Cuss
Two Deep

Female

Sir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot material

Ah, I gotcha.

Well, on that point, I think that some people would rather work on Thanksgiving (especially ones who need the money). But I am one who would rather spend the time with family. Sorry for taking your post to the extreme.

Another point though is that these times help the economy when retail stores are open. A lot of people have time to shop during the holidays.

Old 11-22-2012, 08:50 AM   #6
AikenRooster2112
4-Star

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloydTheBarber View Post
When I was in college I worked at a pretty busy bar. If I wanted off for any holiday, I requested it off early enough so that my managers could make the schedule knowing i would be off.
A HOLIDAY isn't a normal day, therefore, non-essential services exempted, it should be an automatic day off, like it used to be, up until a few years ago.
BTW, I am not complaining about ME having to work, because I always have to work around other people's convenience, but, I am showing pity for others. I guess I didn't state that explicitly, so it was overlooked.
Old 11-22-2012, 08:55 AM   #7
AikenRooster2112
4-Star

Male

Quote:
Ah, I gotcha.

Well, on that point, I think that some people would rather work on Thanksgiving (especially ones who need the money). But I am one who would rather spend the time with family. Sorry for taking your post to the extreme.

Another point though is that these times help the economy when retail stores are open. A lot of people have time to shop during the holidays.
I think a lot of younger workers get exploited when these stores open on Thanksgiving. We claim to be a nation of values and people who honor family and tradition, but our actions speak otherwise. We are a nation of greed and commercialization to sickening degrees.
Old 11-22-2012, 09:07 AM   #8
Sir Cuss
Two Deep

Female

Damn. You really don't like holidays, do you? lol

Old 11-22-2012, 09:56 AM   #9
FloydTheBarber
Banned

Male

FloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by AikenRooster2112 View Post
A HOLIDAY isn't a normal day, therefore, non-essential services exempted, it should be an automatic day off, like it used to be, up until a few years ago.
BTW, I am not complaining about ME having to work, because I always have to work around other people's convenience, but, I am showing pity for others. I guess I didn't state that explicitly, so it was overlooked.
Are you implying that being open for business on Thanksgiving should be outlawed? If so, this conversation would need to continue in the PF.
Old 11-22-2012, 09:57 AM   #10
FloydTheBarber
Banned

Male

Quote:
I think a lot of younger workers get exploited when these stores open on Thanksgiving. We claim to be a nation of values and people who honor family and tradition, but our actions speak otherwise. We are a nation of greed and commercialization to sickening degrees.
It is sick and disgusting that people would be willing to work on a holiday! Gah, they are so greedy! How dare they seek to make a livig during these times!
Old 11-22-2012, 11:13 AM   #11
Captain9Dragons
Forest Grump

Male

CockyCash: 22107959
Captain9Dragons is USC mascot materialCaptain9Dragons is USC mascot materialCaptain9Dragons is USC mascot materialCaptain9Dragons is USC mascot materialCaptain9Dragons is USC mascot materialCaptain9Dragons is USC mascot materialCaptain9Dragons is USC mascot materialCaptain9Dragons is USC mascot materialCaptain9Dragons is USC mascot materialCaptain9Dragons is USC mascot materialCaptain9Dragons is USC mascot material

We got the day off, going to work around the house. There will be no shopping on my list until Monday. It seems to get really crazy now with Black Friday and such.

Happy Thankgiving everyone!
Old 11-22-2012, 11:33 AM   #12
TheUSCMike
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 4250
TheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot material

Well, stores used to close on Sunday's and people bitched about that so much things changed. Who was at fault there, the "greedy" owners or the "selfish" people that wanted these services provided 7 days a week?
I can understand that if a family no longer wanted to go to the trouble of preparing a big Thanksgiving meal, they might want to go out and eat.
C-stores? The C is for convenience, right? You need gas or milk, where do you go on Sunday?
There is a lot more that I could say about this but I think I'll stop here.
Happy Thanksgiving!
TheUSCMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 11:49 AM   #13
COCKDIESEL
Voice of Reason

Male

CWS Baseball Pickem Winner: CWS Baseball Pickem Winner - Given for: Winning the first CWS Pickem Contest 
CockyCash: 53400000
COCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot material

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.
Old 11-22-2012, 11:56 AM   #14
brat
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 100500
brat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot material

I worked almost every holiday, big and small, for my entire career including Christmas Day (morning and into the afternoon) for 15 years straight before getting one off. Now, I barely remember when one approaches as they seem little different from any other day.

Some people have to work on such days; part of the job. They get use to it, so don't fret for them. For those who get them off...enjoy.
Old 11-22-2012, 12:52 PM   #15
AikenRooster2112
4-Star

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUSCMike View Post
Well, stores used to close on Sunday's and people bitched about that so much things changed. Who was at fault there, the "greedy" owners or the "selfish" people that wanted these services provided 7 days a week?
I can understand that if a family no longer wanted to go to the trouble of preparing a big Thanksgiving meal, they might want to go out and eat.
C-stores? The C is for convenience, right? You need gas or milk, where do you go on Sunday?
There is a lot more that I could say about this but I think I'll stop here.
Happy Thanksgiving!
Yeah, that's what I'm saying. The culture has changed, so we should just do away with the Holidays, since they're meaningless.
Old 11-22-2012, 12:54 PM   #16
AikenRooster2112
4-Star

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by brat View Post
I worked almost every holiday, big and small, for my entire career including Christmas Day (morning and into the afternoon) for 15 years straight before getting one off. Now, I barely remember when one approaches as they seem little different from any other day.

Some people have to work on such days; part of the job. They get use to it, so don't fret for them. For those who get them off...enjoy.
Yeah, perhaps that's what has ruined it for me.
Old 11-22-2012, 12:56 PM   #17
AikenRooster2112
4-Star

Male

Quote:
Damn. You really don't like holidays, do you? lol
Quite the contrary. My point is that we should start slowing down and celebrating them again, like we used to.
Old 11-22-2012, 12:59 PM   #18
FloydTheBarber
Banned

Male

Quote:
Yeah, that's what I'm saying. The culture has changed, so we should just do away with the Holidays, since they're meaningless.
Claiming businesses being open this renders holidays meaningless is an absurd and illogical conclusion.
Old 11-22-2012, 01:01 PM   #19
FloydTheBarber
Banned

Male

Guess what? I'm celebrating Thanksgiving all day. I'm not even going to one of those businesses that are open. The fact those businesses are open has not changed Thanksgiving for me and many others as well. It only renders the holiday meaningless if you choose for it to.
Old 11-22-2012, 01:25 PM   #20
sandstorm2001
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 100700
sandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Why does everybody have to celebrate the holidays the way you want to celebrate them? If you don't think businesses should be open make a point of not going to the store. Enjoy your thanksgiving the way you want to enjoy it (being careful not to watch things like football where people are having to work on thanksgiving) and let everyone else do what they have to/want to do.

I know you were excluding essential services in your post, but I have a friend that's an EMT, so he got to work at 6:30 AM today and will get off at 6:30 AM tomorrow. His family just moved their thanksgiving to Friday, which is better in a way because now they are able to have more friends over for their thanksgiving because people have fewer family commitments on Friday. The holidays are what you make them.