CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
b381l
Master Bedroom
garnet_black215
Regalcock
GamecockSuperFan
CockyRyan
WeStillOwnUSC
Gamecocks1137
MWard
nodnahs
Clemson Recruiting.. (3089)
Gamecocks (-10.5) vs (1535)
Ranking the Opposing (1373)
Not a Rival.. (1041)
Clowney Spares RB Bi (1020)
Gamecock Coaches as (930)
NCAA Football 15 (561)
Hello Gamecocks! (476)
Marching band (413)
COCKYTALK ONE HIT WO (287)
Clemson Recruiting...how
Galaxy vs Seatle
Clowney Spares RB Big Hit
Marching band
Name a Gamecock
Discussion: 2015 Recruiti
Hello Gamecocks!
John Rocker at rock botto
2015 - Ty'Son Williams
****Official 2014 Gamecoc

Old 12-02-2012, 08:49 PM   #1
MWard
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 94340
MWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot material
Default UM vs USC, Matchup by the numbers

The Michigan vs South Carolina all time series is tied at 1 win each. The last time the teams played was in 1985 and the Gamecocks lost.
http://football.stassen.com/cgi-bin/...South+Carolina

For 2012, Michigan ranked 34th for Strength of Schedule, USC ranked 10th.
http://www.teamrankings.com/college-...hedule-by-team

Michigan is 8-4 with losses against bama, notre dame, nebraska and ohio state. ALL 4 of their losses were road games. All 4 losses were to ranked teams.

I put who leads in the category in bold. Stats were from ncaa.org.

Michigan
Rushing Offense- 39th
Passing Offense- 95th
Total Offense- 80th
Passing Efficiency- 68th
Scoring Offense- 57th
Sacks Allowed- 25th
TFL's Allowed- 18th

Turnovers Lost- 89th

Rushing Defense- 57th
Passing Defense- 2nd
Total Defense- 11th

Pass Eff Defense- 35th
Scoring Defense- 16th
Sacks- 85th
TFL's- 54th
Turnovers Gained- 89th
3rd Down Conv %- 33rd

Net Punting-74th
Punt Returns - 63rd
Kickoff Returns- 54th

USC
Rushing Offense- 84th
Passing Offense- 65th
Total Offense- 87th
Passing Efficiency- 21st
Scoring Offense- 43rd
Sacks Allowed- 104th
TFL's Allowed- 100th
Turnovers Lost- 47th

Rushing Defense- 15th
Passing Defense- 17th
Total Defense- 12th
Pass Eff Defense- 34th
Scoring Defense- 13th
Sacks- 5th
TFL's- 19th

Turnovers Gained- 50th
3rd Down Conv %- 35th

Net Punting- 81st
Punt Returns- 15th
Kickoff Returns- 73rd

All in All, it's a pretty even matchup. Their OL is much better than ours though. Our DL is much better at effecting the backfield than theirs is though. They are also better at running the ball. We get more turnovers and don't turn it over as much as them. Most of the other rankings are pretty close.

-Abo Swinney, April 23, 2014

http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/po...steve-spurrier

Last edited by MWard; 12-02-2012 at 09:06 PM.
MWard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 08:57 PM   #2
sosfan812
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 500
sosfan812 is crowing loudlysosfan812 is crowing loudlysosfan812 is crowing loudlysosfan812 is crowing loudlysosfan812 is crowing loudlysosfan812 is crowing loudlysosfan812 is crowing loudlysosfan812 is crowing loudlysosfan812 is crowing loudlysosfan812 is crowing loudlysosfan812 is crowing loudly
Default Re: UM vs USC, Matchup by the numbers

Great Job and thank you for doing it! I know stats look close but look who we played to get our stats and who they played to get theirs.
sosfan812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 09:00 PM   #3
Cockholio
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 200
Cockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot material

Probably the biggest-sized O and D line's we'll play against. Freakin' Huge!
Old 12-02-2012, 09:03 PM   #4
AtlGAMECOCK
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 3568
AtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to AtlGAMECOCK

gotta get everybody healthy and ready
Old 12-02-2012, 09:07 PM   #5
Unknit
4-Star

Male

Unknit has developed his gaff and talonsUnknit has developed his gaff and talonsUnknit has developed his gaff and talonsUnknit has developed his gaff and talonsUnknit has developed his gaff and talonsUnknit has developed his gaff and talonsUnknit has developed his gaff and talonsUnknit has developed his gaff and talonsUnknit has developed his gaff and talonsUnknit has developed his gaff and talonsUnknit has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockholio View Post
I looked at their rivals depth chart and they do not seem much bigger than any other o-line we have faced, in fact they look much smaller than some of the better ones we faced like Tenn...
Old 12-02-2012, 10:06 PM   #6
go garnet
Walk On

Male

go garnet has feathers coming ingo garnet has feathers coming ingo garnet has feathers coming in

That pass defense scares me, since we have been heavier passing the ball lately...

I hope South Carolina wins this one. I have some Michigan Fan friends. They would never let me hear the end of it.

I do like that we are playing Michigan. At least it's a team you've heard of. The win will have meaning.

We just need to get healthy and take our "A" game.

Go Gamecocks!!!
Old 12-02-2012, 10:18 PM   #7
peterlemon
Game MVP

Male

peterlemon rules the CockPitpeterlemon rules the CockPitpeterlemon rules the CockPitpeterlemon rules the CockPitpeterlemon rules the CockPitpeterlemon rules the CockPitpeterlemon rules the CockPitpeterlemon rules the CockPitpeterlemon rules the CockPitpeterlemon rules the CockPitpeterlemon rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by go garnet View Post
That pass defense scares me, since we have been heavier passing the ball lately...

I hope South Carolina wins this one. I have some Michigan Fan friends. They would never let me hear the end of it.

I do like that we are playing Michigan. At least it's a team you've heard of. The win will have meaning.

We just need to get healthy and take our "A" game.

Go Gamecocks!!!
They scored 9 points against Nebraska. I like the way that sounds.
peterlemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 10:33 PM   #8
MikeTrainNC8
Cock of the Walk

Male

CockyCash: 66034
MikeTrainNC8 is USC mascot materialMikeTrainNC8 is USC mascot materialMikeTrainNC8 is USC mascot materialMikeTrainNC8 is USC mascot materialMikeTrainNC8 is USC mascot materialMikeTrainNC8 is USC mascot materialMikeTrainNC8 is USC mascot materialMikeTrainNC8 is USC mascot materialMikeTrainNC8 is USC mascot materialMikeTrainNC8 is USC mascot materialMikeTrainNC8 is USC mascot material

Quote:

Cough LSU Florida UT cough
Old 12-02-2012, 11:12 PM   #9
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

I knew our offense wasn't great, but 87th.....sacks allowed 104....I really am shocked. Thanks for putting this together.
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 12:05 AM   #10
snoopcockycock
AQUACOCK

Male

snoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot material

well the stat that should stick out more than any other is the strength of schedule. mich is ranked at 35, while usc is 10. that tells the whole story, and is the biggest reason all other stats take a backseat, and the main factor in usc killing clempscum these days.
being battle tested is everything! mich will lose to us for the exact same reason clempscum did, because they will be shellshocked by the middle of the third quarter, and gassed in the fourth. usc is use to playing much stronger and better teams all season long, and it will show up in this game just like it did against clempscum. and for the record clempscum's offense is much, much better than mich's, and with many more weapons. we all saw how that turned out...
this is the last game for these seniors, and i think they will dominate mich.
Old 12-03-2012, 12:09 AM   #11
FlorenceCock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1200000
FlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Just looking at Rivals it really doesn't seem that way at all to me.
Old 12-03-2012, 12:12 AM   #12
MGoBlue
Walk On

Male

MGoBlue has hatched from the shell

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemon View Post
They scored 9 points against Nebraska. I like the way that sounds.
That game was the black sheep of our season.

We were on the 5 yard line with 1st and goal when denard got hurt. Rather than goto Devin, our Junior QB with playing experience (he was filling a gap at WR at the time), we put in our 3rd stringer RS freshman qb, who promptly went 3/16 for 14 yards and three INTs. Needless to say, that QB hasn't played again, and things have looked a tad better
MGoBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 12:25 AM   #13
AtlGAMECOCK
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 3568
AtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to AtlGAMECOCK

MgoBlue , what does the Michigan fanbase think of this matchup? Is there anyhting about USC that scares you guys or makes you worry?
Old 12-03-2012, 12:30 AM   #14
ElectricCock
Fear The Thumb, Clemson

Male

CockyCash: 200516
ElectricCock is USC mascot materialElectricCock is USC mascot materialElectricCock is USC mascot materialElectricCock is USC mascot materialElectricCock is USC mascot materialElectricCock is USC mascot materialElectricCock is USC mascot materialElectricCock is USC mascot materialElectricCock is USC mascot materialElectricCock is USC mascot materialElectricCock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGoBlue View Post
That game was the black sheep of our season.

We were on the 5 yard line with 1st and goal when denard got hurt. Rather than goto Devin, our Junior QB with playing experience (he was filling a gap at WR at the time), we put in our 3rd stringer RS freshman qb, who promptly went 3/16 for 14 yards and three INTs. Needless to say, that QB hasn't played again, and things have looked a tad better
we played a few games with a backup QB and 4th string RB and bball point guard and did pretty well haha...
Old 12-03-2012, 12:33 AM   #15
MGoBlue
Walk On

Male

MGoBlue has hatched from the shell

Our biggest weakness on offense is our O Line, and your D Line scares the bejeesus out of us.

Otherwise, I think the position matchups are pretty even.

I think we consider it a winnable game (hell, we took ND and OSU to the wire on the road), but I don't really hear anyone EXPECTING to win, especially after our last two outings with the SEC (Miss St in '10 and Bama this year)
MGoBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 12:42 AM   #16
SwimCock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

SwimCock rules the CockPitSwimCock rules the CockPitSwimCock rules the CockPitSwimCock rules the CockPitSwimCock rules the CockPitSwimCock rules the CockPitSwimCock rules the CockPitSwimCock rules the CockPitSwimCock rules the CockPitSwimCock rules the CockPitSwimCock rules the CockPit

Good start. Getting some respect from the Michigan fans on our site. Welcome.
SwimCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 12:47 AM   #17
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 510
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by b381l View Post
I knew our offense wasn't great, but 87th.....sacks allowed 104....I really am shocked. Thanks for putting this together.
That is what happens when you play in conference with good defenses.
ReadR00ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 12:52 AM   #18
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadR00ster View Post
That is what happens when you play in conference with good defenses.
We played 2 teams this year with good defenses and lost both. Come on man 87th.
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 12:57 AM   #19
uscsandstorm85
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

uscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPit

Defense, defense, defense.
Old 12-03-2012, 01:29 AM   #20
eaddy1847
Gamecock Since 1976

Male

CockyCash: 800
eaddy1847 is USC mascot materialeaddy1847 is USC mascot materialeaddy1847 is USC mascot materialeaddy1847 is USC mascot materialeaddy1847 is USC mascot materialeaddy1847 is USC mascot materialeaddy1847 is USC mascot materialeaddy1847 is USC mascot materialeaddy1847 is USC mascot materialeaddy1847 is USC mascot materialeaddy1847 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWard View Post
The Michigan vs South Carolina all time series is tied at 1 win each. The last time the teams played was in 1985 and the Gamecocks lost.
http://football.stassen.com/cgi-bin/...South+Carolina

For 2012, Michigan ranked 34th for Strength of Schedule, USC ranked 10th.
http://www.teamrankings.com/college-...hedule-by-team

Michigan is 8-4 with losses against bama, notre dame, nebraska and ohio state. ALL 4 of their losses were road games. All 4 losses were to ranked teams.

I put who leads in the category in bold. Stats were from ncaa.org.

Michigan
Rushing Offense- 39th
Passing Offense- 95th
Total Offense- 80th
Passing Efficiency- 68th
Scoring Offense- 57th
Sacks Allowed- 25th
TFL's Allowed- 18th
Turnovers Lost- 89th

Rushing Defense- 57th
Passing Defense- 2nd
Total Defense- 11th
Pass Eff Defense- 35th
Scoring Defense- 16th
Sacks- 85th
TFL's- 54th
Turnovers Gained- 89th
3rd Down Conv %- 33rd

Net Punting-74th
Punt Returns - 63rd
Kickoff Returns- 54th

USC
Rushing Offense- 84th
Passing Offense- 65th
Total Offense- 87th
Passing Efficiency- 21st
Scoring Offense- 43rd
Sacks Allowed- 104th
TFL's Allowed- 100th
Turnovers Lost- 47th

Rushing Defense- 15th
Passing Defense- 17th
Total Defense- 12th
Pass Eff Defense- 34th
Scoring Defense- 13th
Sacks- 5th
TFL's- 19th
Turnovers Gained- 50th
3rd Down Conv %- 35th

Net Punting- 81st
Punt Returns- 15th
Kickoff Returns- 73rd

All in All, it's a pretty even matchup. Their OL is much better than ours though. Our DL is much better at effecting the backfield than theirs is though. They are also better at running the ball. We get more turnovers and don't turn it over as much as them. Most of the other rankings are pretty close.

Wow some interesting stuff in your post. Very enlightening. You sir did a good job, thank you and pts sent.