CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
kingoftheroost
Badazcock
thekob
cockfight21
ChickenButt
Ericvol2096
Cockypantherfan
GSC2013
gadeneer1986
Four UK Players Susp (1732)
400 pasing yards (705)
Nosovitch (689)
This program has no (583)
Funny? (553)
What fish do you eat (391)
KY Suspends 4 Player (384)
Zone Read Analysis w (363)
Thompson Has Neck In (298)
Would You Accept Lam (273)
Funny?
One dimensional QB
HBC Weekly Presser
Zone Read Analysis w/ 201
Middle-Earth: Shadow of M
Bad Week For Upstate Coac
Thoughts on the basketbal
10-2
Maty Mauk tries to take o
What fish do you eat

Old 12-05-2012, 12:41 PM   #1
sparklecityspur
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 500
sparklecityspur has earned his spurssparklecityspur has earned his spurssparklecityspur has earned his spurssparklecityspur has earned his spurssparklecityspur has earned his spurssparklecityspur has earned his spurs
Default Has Clowney exceeded your expectations?

I was thinking about this last night after hearing about all the accolades and nominations he is getting for such prestigous awards, as a true sophomore at that.
I can honestly say that the weeks leading up to his big announcement, I was looking at his high school highlights, and I knew that he was a once in a decade or longer prospect. But I still underestimated the type of impact he would have on college football. My expectations of him were to have a typical freshman season, but not to expect him to get this type of noteriety until his junior year.

Thanks Jadaveon for proving me wrong.

Did anyone expect the same as me?
sparklecityspur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 12:43 PM   #2
Sax1031
Blue Chip

Male

Sax1031 has feathers coming inSax1031 has feathers coming in
Default Re: Has Clowney exceeded your expectations?

no

it was pretty much known he was a beast coming out of high school
Sax1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 12:46 PM   #3
FloydTheBarber
Banned

Male

FloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot material

He exceeded my expectations last year

8 sacks as a true freshman DE in the SEC? Um, hello!

And then to obtain the single season sack record as a sophmore?

Yeah...he's done quite well.
FloydTheBarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 12:52 PM   #4
Metalrush24
Pro aris et focis

Male

CockyCash: 27359704
Metalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot material

In a way.

I expected him to be this great. However, when it comes to highly-touted players, you tend to expect them to not live up to expectations.

Ya know?
Old 12-05-2012, 12:58 PM   #5
MeesterFriendly
I'll be with you shortly

Male

CockyCash: 392030
MeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot material

If we can find someone to fill Devin's shoes next year & bring the beast factor on the other end the way he did........... watch out, Clowney could break 20 sacks.
Old 12-05-2012, 01:04 PM   #6
usc1
Class of 2013

Male

CockyCash: 200
usc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by keegthecock View Post
If we can find someone to fill Devin's shoes next year & bring the beast factor on the other end the way he did........... watch out, Clowney could break 20 sacks.

Chaz Sutton
Old 12-05-2012, 01:06 PM   #7
MWard
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 94340
MWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot material

Yes, 1st Team All American as a Soph, that's legit.

-Abo Swinney, April 23, 2014

http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/po...steve-spurrier
MWard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 01:11 PM   #8
Rebel4ever
Banned

Male

Rebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot material

Just look at his high school vids. You could tell then and you can tell now that he is a monster. Dude will go down as the most high profile Gamecock athlete ever once he cannonball splashs into the NFL.
Rebel4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 01:12 PM   #9
LBC
2nd Team All-American

Male

LBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot material

Not from a football standpoint. I had a friend of mine who coached football in the Rock Hill area for over twenty five years tell me that without question he was the best football player he had ever seen. Nt coached but seen with his own eyes. NFL scouts are on record as saying he could have literally played on Sundays coming out of high school. So I knew he was beyond just special.

However, I had no idea how grounded and together that kid was. How much he actually loved the game and his teammates. How fun loving he seems to be. How much genuine personality he has. He could have been great on the field and a complete douche bag or worse an absolute trouble maker and malconent but he is none of those thing. Clowney is by all acccounts a perfect player with literally everything you could ever want in a football player.
LBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 01:15 PM   #10
catdaddy66
Former Walk On in-law

Male

CockyCash: 250018
catdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot material

He has come along faster than I thought he would but his performance was expected. What amazes me most is the ease (grace?) that he uses to accomplish this with. Make no mistake though, he will knock you into next week!
Old 12-05-2012, 01:16 PM   #11
scargamecocks87
4-Star

Male

scargamecocks87 is crowing loudlyscargamecocks87 is crowing loudlyscargamecocks87 is crowing loudlyscargamecocks87 is crowing loudlyscargamecocks87 is crowing loudlyscargamecocks87 is crowing loudlyscargamecocks87 is crowing loudlyscargamecocks87 is crowing loudlyscargamecocks87 is crowing loudlyscargamecocks87 is crowing loudlyscargamecocks87 is crowing loudly

He exceeded my expectations in his second game when he threw aaron Murray around like a rag doll causing the fumble and MI6 touchdown
scargamecocks87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 01:28 PM   #12
Mechanical Cock
Blue Chip

Male

Mechanical Cock is crowing loudlyMechanical Cock is crowing loudlyMechanical Cock is crowing loudlyMechanical Cock is crowing loudlyMechanical Cock is crowing loudlyMechanical Cock is crowing loudlyMechanical Cock is crowing loudlyMechanical Cock is crowing loudlyMechanical Cock is crowing loudlyMechanical Cock is crowing loudlyMechanical Cock is crowing loudly

You know that scene in lord of the rings where Sauran is swinging the mace ravaging all the soldiers...that is my expectation.
Old 12-05-2012, 01:29 PM   #13
Sax1031
Blue Chip

Male

Sax1031 has feathers coming inSax1031 has feathers coming in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechanical Cock View Post
You know that scene in lord of the rings where Sauran is swinging the mace ravaging all the soldiers...that is my expectation.
lol

here was mine:

Sax1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 01:39 PM   #14
Lonnie
Band

Male

Lonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot material

He has met my expectations. To exceed my expectations, he would have to had scored multiple defensive touchdowns by now.

Lonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 01:43 PM   #15
Legalman72
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 19008950
Legalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalrush24 View Post
In a way.

I expected him to be this great. However, when it comes to highly-touted players, you tend to expect them to not live up to expectations.

Ya know?
Great answer! You nailed how I feel. Overall, I'm tickled. He's an amazing player.
Legalman72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 01:54 PM   #16
Luke Skycocker
Git Dat Baw

Male

2011 Football Pickem: 2011 Football Pickem - Given for: 2011 Football Pickem Champ 
CockyCash: 106687138593
Luke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot material

Absolutely he has. I thought he would be very good, but not All-American, best DE in the nation in his sophomore year.
Old 12-05-2012, 02:00 PM   #17
burr
Recruit

Male

burr has earned his spursburr has earned his spursburr has earned his spursburr has earned his spursburr has earned his spursburr has earned his spurs

I truly think that #7 has changed the way Carolina - the whole damn school and ever thing about it - feels about things. Im feeling a lot better about things Carolina than I ever have, and this is a little more than I expected to get outta one player. Nothing against any other of the players, but I think thats what #7 brought (more than I coulda seen)

Physically, he is a man among boys and opponents are gonna have to pay.
burr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 02:07 PM   #18
SR4-AJ1
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 9708333
SR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudly

Before he leaves Carolina I would love to see him get in the backfield and just pluck the ball from the QBs hand (Like he was carrying it on a platter for JD to take) and run it back for a touchdown!!!
Old 12-05-2012, 02:13 PM   #19
NCgamecock1981
Entrenched Starter

Male

CockyCash: 80000
NCgamecock1981 is developing his combNCgamecock1981 is developing his combNCgamecock1981 is developing his combNCgamecock1981 is developing his combNCgamecock1981 is developing his combNCgamecock1981 is developing his combNCgamecock1981 is developing his combNCgamecock1981 is developing his comb

I expected him to have several forced fumbles that he returned for TD's by now but oh well. Sometimes you just have to take what you can get.

NCgamecock1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 02:21 PM   #20
Cockyhard
Blue Chip

Male

Cockyhard is developing his combCockyhard is developing his combCockyhard is developing his combCockyhard is developing his combCockyhard is developing his combCockyhard is developing his combCockyhard is developing his combCockyhard is developing his combCockyhard is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechanical Cock View Post
Never seen Lord of the Rings....Is that one of those Frodo Potter movies

Is football season here yet???
Cockyhard is offline   Reply With Quote