CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
GarnetSwarm1990
Gamecocks1137
NinjaSven
Jim Lahey
Storm Of Spurs
roosterdude21
kingofnerf
Sandstorm29
wincocks84
WeStillOwnUSC
Wilds & Carson B (2535)
Marquavius Lewis (2486)
So, why is next year (2328)
How Long Will The Re (1517)
Restaurant musts in (1099)
Why do so many of yo (1090)
Schuyler Rimmer 6'10 (839)
Shot in the arm for (830)
Custom Jersey (444)
5 Gourmet Foods That (305)
Marquavius Lewis
2015 Signee - Sherrod Pit
Why do so many of you guy
Frank Martin's Game has b
2015 Commitment - Dante S
How Long Will The Rebuild
Further clarification on
The Vent and Coaching cha
Previewing Clemson
2015 - Mark Fields

Old 12-06-2012, 12:11 PM   #1
Roosterboy
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material
Default Will we have a coach in waiting?

With Spurrier extending his contract to 2017, and his age, I was wondering, do you guys think we do the "coach in waiting" game?

The reason I ask is because of a recent editorial by Scott Hood of GamecockCentral.

I'm not a big fan of Scott, but he raises valid points in this piece.
http://southcarolina.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1445674

But my question stems from near the end, when he mentions Ward, Elliott and Mangus eventually taking head coaching jobs.

Do you guys think we name one of those three as our next head coach when Spurrier hangs it up..presumably after the 2017 season?

Or even Spurrier Jr.?
1975, 1977, 1981, 1982, 1985, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012
Two-time National Champs

Roosterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 12:15 PM   #2
BCWriter
Syvelle's Biggest Fan

Male

CockyCash: 500
BCWriter has earned his spursBCWriter has earned his spursBCWriter has earned his spursBCWriter has earned his spursBCWriter has earned his spursBCWriter has earned his spurs
Default Re: Will we have a coach in waiting?

Spurrier Jr. would be awful.
BCWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 12:17 PM   #3
Roosterboy
Household Name

Male

Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCWriter View Post
Maybe, but that isn't the question.
Will we or won't we have a coach in waiting?
1975, 1977, 1981, 1982, 1985, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012
Two-time National Champs

Roosterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 12:17 PM   #4
JTsecSC
Jon Gruden's lovechild

Male

JTsecSC is making other chickens nervousJTsecSC is making other chickens nervousJTsecSC is making other chickens nervousJTsecSC is making other chickens nervousJTsecSC is making other chickens nervousJTsecSC is making other chickens nervousJTsecSC is making other chickens nervousJTsecSC is making other chickens nervous

Mangus as a head coach???????

I'm just hoping the Clay Travis dumptruck full of cash theory is deployed when the time comes. Let's get the best man, inside or out.
JTsecSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 12:18 PM   #5
Mick Chicken
Banned

Male

Mick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot material

I'm not real big on the HCIW title but in the right situation it could work. I used to think of the three that Mangus would probably be the one...but I am thinking more Ward these days. I think it would be great from a consistency standpoint. Scheme, recruiting, coaches etc.. would have little/no turnover. I don't care that they make it official or anything, as long as they have a plan and make sure the recruits and players are on board.
Mick Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 12:30 PM   #6
superfly
Game MVP

Male

superfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roosterboy View Post
Will we or won't we have a coach in waiting?
Every candidate in the United States is a HC in waiting....they will all be waiting until Spurrier retires. The job is attractive enough to pull someone back should they leave. I guess to answer your question is another question....how did that work out before for others doing it ? NOT GOOD !
Old 12-06-2012, 12:36 PM   #7
Cockyhard
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 200
Cockyhard is developing his combCockyhard is developing his combCockyhard is developing his combCockyhard is developing his combCockyhard is developing his combCockyhard is developing his combCockyhard is developing his combCockyhard is developing his combCockyhard is developing his comb

Little Scotty Spurrier... lol.. totally kidding.... can anyone think of a coaches kid that ended up ever being better than his dad... and no... Lane is not better than Monte Kiffin... lol

Is football season here yet???
Cockyhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 12:36 PM   #8
LegalCock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1500
LegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot material

Doubt it. It's not spurrier's style. There might be some understanding that a guy will get consideration, like say Whammy is tearing it up for the next 4-5 years and he gets a great offer and we want to keep him real bad then maybe we name him assistant head coach like ellis was and it is understood that he will get a look. But I mean spurrier won't even let someone else call the plays, much less be kind of the semi-head coach.
LegalCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 12:39 PM   #9
wshell
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 31680
wshell has earned his spurswshell has earned his spurswshell has earned his spurswshell has earned his spurswshell has earned his spurswshell has earned his spurswshell has earned his spurs

HCIW is essentially a dead tag since the NCAA amended its rules so that HCIW's have to follow the same restricted recruiting guidelines as a head coach. Thus, you don't see HCIW anymore because it limits two coaching staff members instead of one. There may be informal agreements, but the official HCIW is pretty detrimental to recruiting unless you have a 90 year old coach and it's a legitimate concern to recruits who the next coach will be. In that case the old guy probably isn't doing too much recruiting to begin with.

I don't think there are any more HCIW left in America now that Muschamp, Fisher and Franklin took HC jobs. Might be wrong though
wshell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 12:41 PM   #10
Cockholio
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Cockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot material

Seriously, is there any larger distraction to a football program than to have a coach-in-waiting? I think that sh*t has run its course and we won't see any more of that.
Old 12-06-2012, 12:48 PM   #11
Zandit
Banned

Male

Zandit has hatched from the shell

For all we know, our best candidate to coach in several years may not yet be on the drawing board. I wouldn't want to limit our options this far out.
Zandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 12:49 PM   #12
JQ94
4-Star

Male

JQ94 has developed his gaff and talonsJQ94 has developed his gaff and talonsJQ94 has developed his gaff and talonsJQ94 has developed his gaff and talonsJQ94 has developed his gaff and talonsJQ94 has developed his gaff and talonsJQ94 has developed his gaff and talonsJQ94 has developed his gaff and talonsJQ94 has developed his gaff and talonsJQ94 has developed his gaff and talonsJQ94 has developed his gaff and talons

I hate the "coach in waiting BS"
Old 12-06-2012, 12:49 PM   #13
RD1
Walk On

Male

CockyCash: 23233500
RD1 has feathers coming inRD1 has feathers coming inRD1 has feathers coming in

Personally not a fan of HCIW, but Tanner does have some experience in how to play it.
RD1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 12:50 PM   #14
LegalCock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1500
LegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot material

Yeah it was a stupid idea anyways, not like the coach or school is really that obligated, see Muschamp, Will.
LegalCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 12:56 PM   #15
CarolinaSpur12
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 100500
CarolinaSpur12 is developing his combCarolinaSpur12 is developing his combCarolinaSpur12 is developing his combCarolinaSpur12 is developing his combCarolinaSpur12 is developing his combCarolinaSpur12 is developing his combCarolinaSpur12 is developing his combCarolinaSpur12 is developing his combCarolinaSpur12 is developing his combCarolinaSpur12 is developing his comb

I don't believe I have faith in anyone on our staff apart from possibly Whammy. I don't want this decent head coach with good coordinators. I want a HEAD COACH. those are the teams with championships. Not Dabo and crew. I want Charlie Strong with a good OC. Not whammy with Magnus.

CarolinaSpur12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 12:58 PM   #16
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

Initially, I thought this gig was GA Mangus' to lose but it looks like GA has, at least temporarily, dug a ditch he can't get out of. But really, he makes the most sense because he knows the system, he has head coaching and OC experience (albeit at a lower division), and he can flat out recruit his ass off.

But right now, I think Coach Tanner is going to go with the smoothest transition. So that is why I think, now, Whammy is going to be the leader in the clubhouse when the time to replace Spurrier comes. I may be wrong, but I think he has to know that he has a better than average chance of getting this job if he sticks around. Unlike EJ, Whammy is still relatively young and is still growing in the profession. I think the next order of business will be to name him assistant head coach (if he doesn't already have the title, I forget) or give him the head coach in charge of the defense title.

What I do know is that when the time nears, Tanner and Spurrier are going to have a plan laid out and that should ease the stress of a lot of USC fans. I just don't think Tanner and Spurrier are going to be going outside the family for a replacement though unless it is someone with a strong Spurrier tie.

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan
CoverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 01:02 PM   #17
Sir Cuss
Two Deep

Female

Sir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot material

Quote:
Or even Spurrier Jr.?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCWriter View Post
Quote:
Looks like that was integrated . . . so it was one of the questions.

Sir Cuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 01:12 PM   #18
uscsandstorm85
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

uscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPit

No, it is too soon to commit to the next coach. Let ALL the options present themselves, then make a decision.
Old 12-06-2012, 01:19 PM   #19
MWard
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 94340
MWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot material

Yes, we are going to actually have two official head coaches. Urban Meyer and Nick Saban.

Both are pissed about Spurrier's comments about going somewhere where nothing has been won before and winning championships. It's all but a done deal.

I cannot back this up with sources, truth or facts.

-Abo Swinney, April 23, 2014

http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/po...steve-spurrier
MWard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 01:20 PM   #20
JTsecSC
Jon Gruden's lovechild

Male

JTsecSC is making other chickens nervousJTsecSC is making other chickens nervousJTsecSC is making other chickens nervousJTsecSC is making other chickens nervousJTsecSC is making other chickens nervousJTsecSC is making other chickens nervousJTsecSC is making other chickens nervousJTsecSC is making other chickens nervous

I think everyone is dismissing what seems to be the most logical choice for the next HC. That is, SOS being his own successor. Just entertain the thought here...

At 72 SOS decides he wants to step down as his knees are not quite as fuild and old age is starting to weigh heavy on him physically. Right before his retirement, Steve commits incredible NCAA infractions and blows the whistle himself. SOS's self-destructive sabotage leads the NCAA to bring down the banhammer and the death penalty to SC Football. Meanwhile, Steve is cryogenically frozen during which USC is forced to give up football.

In 2024 Steve is revived and engineered up in a darth vader manner, where he is now stronger and more powerful than ever (see Lattimore 2013). A la Lame Kiffin y Pee Carroll, SOS is able to avoid the NCAA penalties and the hiring of another USC head coach, while also allowing himself to resurrect USC's program. Thus, he is his own HCIW.

I think the writing is on the wall people.
JTsecSC is offline   Reply With Quote