CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
doubledribble
b381l
Jmansour333
thumpin big
ReadR00ster
PageUSC
Gamecocks1137
gadeneer1986
RoosterBooster
Cockflame1701
Busta out indefinite (1631)
How did we not make (1466)
SOS says his next st (1344)
Our Road Upset Wins (1306)
Miss St. defense (1269)
No easy road for our (564)
Roll call for Auburn (498)
CBSSports SEC predic (496)
University of Buffal (387)
Michael Sams done in (360)
2015 Commitment - Davon D
Our Defense?
CBSSports SEC prediction
MMA: Holeve (Down Syndrom
World of Warcraft, CSGO,
Busta out indefinitely.
Why is everyone anticipat
SOS says his next stop is
Our Road Upset Wins
Miss St. defense

Old 12-13-2012, 12:23 AM   #1
DiamondGamecock
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 600
DiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spurs
Default Retire #21

I know it was mentioned in the Lattimore Appreciation thread, and to some this is a sensitive topic. I would like to say, I believe his number should be retired. He is the greatest gamecock to every play this game, be it on the field and off.

#Retire21

Last edited by DiamondGamecock; 12-13-2012 at 12:34 AM.
DiamondGamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 12:33 AM   #2
Teamneil
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 541
Teamneil is developing his combTeamneil is developing his combTeamneil is developing his combTeamneil is developing his combTeamneil is developing his combTeamneil is developing his combTeamneil is developing his combTeamneil is developing his combTeamneil is developing his comb
Default Re: Retire #21

I understand the thought here, but it would be awesome if the player who worked the hardest on and off the field was given the #21 jersey on both sides of the ball. Every time we saw a fresh face wearing the jersey we would know about their character right away. Would be something for players to work towards, all the while honoring our hero.
Old 12-13-2012, 12:39 AM   #3
M.C.
The original "Mastercock"

Male

CockyCash: 200
M.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to M.C.

we don't need to retire his jersey no one will ever forget Lattimore

All you Clemson Tigers Can Kiss My Garnet Ass -M.C.
M.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 12:41 AM   #4
4Ever2Thee
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 2940
4Ever2Thee rules the CockPit4Ever2Thee rules the CockPit4Ever2Thee rules the CockPit4Ever2Thee rules the CockPit4Ever2Thee rules the CockPit4Ever2Thee rules the CockPit4Ever2Thee rules the CockPit4Ever2Thee rules the CockPit4Ever2Thee rules the CockPit4Ever2Thee rules the CockPit4Ever2Thee rules the CockPit

Do it
4Ever2Thee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 12:54 AM   #5
#7Clowney
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 500
#7Clowney is making other chickens nervous#7Clowney is making other chickens nervous#7Clowney is making other chickens nervous#7Clowney is making other chickens nervous#7Clowney is making other chickens nervous#7Clowney is making other chickens nervous#7Clowney is making other chickens nervous

way too early in my mind
#7Clowney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 01:01 AM   #6
Gamecock Rob
Household Name

Male

Gamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot material

Make 21 THE number, like #1 for Michigan.
Gamecock Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 01:02 AM   #7
KaneisAble
Bowl MVP

Male

KaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamneil View Post
I understand the thought here, but it would be awesome if the player who worked the hardest on and off the field was given the #21 jersey on both sides of the ball. Every time we saw a fresh face wearing the jersey we would know about their character right away. Would be something for players to work towards, all the while honoring our hero.
I actually like this sentiment a lot, but a lot of players will want to make their own name. Barring this, though, retire it. It should be hanging in the stadium. There will only ever be one #21.
KaneisAble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 01:03 AM   #8
lilcocky2004
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 687
lilcocky2004 has earned his spurslilcocky2004 has earned his spurslilcocky2004 has earned his spurslilcocky2004 has earned his spurslilcocky2004 has earned his spurslilcocky2004 has earned his spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamneil View Post
great idea.
lilcocky2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 01:13 AM   #9
Rebel4ever
The Paradigm Shift

Male

Rebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot material

I like Spurrier's idea of retiring numbers. His was retired and he had it unretired because he said he would love to see a player wearing the #11 back out on the field. Basically Spurrier doesn't care too much about retiring numbers. If #21 is retired then #7 will have to be retired. I mean come on, have to be. I like the idea of just putting their names on the ramp rings if they break records. To me, that is enough.
Old 12-13-2012, 01:13 AM   #10
uscsandstorm85
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

uscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPit

I like the idea of making it into an award. That's how tradition is created.
Old 12-13-2012, 01:17 AM   #11
crowcutta
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1000
crowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot material

policy is to retire jerseys, not numbers. if he still holds a school record in 5 years undoubtedly his jersey will get retired.
crowcutta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 01:21 AM   #12
DiamondGamecock
Banned

Male

DiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowcutta View Post
policy is to retire jerseys, not numbers. if he still holds a school record in 5 years undoubtedly his jersey will get retired.
While I understand this, he is ultimately almost fully responsible for this university's turn around. I understand the policy, but to fans everywhere, this policy can be rewritten, especially when the name Lattimore is involved.

There is and always will be only one Lattimore, and #21 is and always will be connected to that.
Old 12-13-2012, 01:22 AM   #13
sandstorm2001
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 100700
sandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowcutta View Post
I believe AD policy is that players who leave early for the draft aren't eligible to have their numbers retired.

I like the idea of making it into an award of some kind, but wouldn't some players be ineligible to wear 21 based on the position they play?
Old 12-13-2012, 01:24 AM   #14
Mr.101
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 21018809
Mr.101 is USC mascot materialMr.101 is USC mascot materialMr.101 is USC mascot materialMr.101 is USC mascot materialMr.101 is USC mascot materialMr.101 is USC mascot materialMr.101 is USC mascot materialMr.101 is USC mascot materialMr.101 is USC mascot materialMr.101 is USC mascot materialMr.101 is USC mascot material

I support the earning #21 idea rather than retiring it.
Mr.101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 01:25 AM   #15
Acockolypse Now
L-I-V-I-N

Male

CockyCash: 45000175
Acockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot material

We need to find a way to honor our greats.

The ramp signs are great, but limiting. I'd love to see us use the arms for the lights for a "ring of honor" the way Florida does theirs.

On another note, I'd love to see a statue of Marcus outside right next to statues of Big George and JoeMo.
Old 12-13-2012, 01:33 AM   #16
carolina_corpsman
Blue Chip

Male

carolina_corpsman is crowing loudlycarolina_corpsman is crowing loudlycarolina_corpsman is crowing loudlycarolina_corpsman is crowing loudlycarolina_corpsman is crowing loudlycarolina_corpsman is crowing loudlycarolina_corpsman is crowing loudlycarolina_corpsman is crowing loudlycarolina_corpsman is crowing loudlycarolina_corpsman is crowing loudlycarolina_corpsman is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamneil
This! Make wearing #21 an honor that players aspire to!

Posted from Cockytalk.com App for Android
carolina_corpsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 01:37 AM   #17
gAmkok
Eh.

Male

gAmkok rules the CockPitgAmkok rules the CockPitgAmkok rules the CockPitgAmkok rules the CockPitgAmkok rules the CockPitgAmkok rules the CockPitgAmkok rules the CockPitgAmkok rules the CockPitgAmkok rules the CockPitgAmkok rules the CockPitgAmkok rules the CockPit

The number won't get retired - the athletic department doesn't do that any more (theoretically you could run out of numbers). I also don't see the 21 jersey being all that much of an incentive, regardless of the caliber of player it would represent, because kids/players identify with their jersey numbers - that's why so many try to keep the same one they had in HS - so switching numbers two or three years in could be seen as more of a hassle than a reward. What I COULD see is a helmet sticker concept where the team votes for one or two players each season who exemplify all the qualities the sticker embodies (Marcus' most acclaimed qualities, naturally).
gAmkok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 01:40 AM   #18
DiamondGamecock
Banned

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by gAmkok View Post
The number won't get retired - the athletic department doesn't do that any more (theoretically you could run out of numbers). I also don't see the 21 jersey being all that much of an incentive, regardless of the caliber of player it would represent, because kids/players identify with their jersey numbers - that's why so many try to keep the same one they had in HS - so switching numbers two or three years in could be seen as more of a hassle than a reward. What I COULD see is a helmet sticker concept where the team votes for one or two players each season who exemplify all the qualities the sticker embodies (Marcus' most acclaimed qualities, naturally).
I understand what your saying, but at some point, we either A have to put a foot down or B, show some toughness.

The number should be retired, that is all I can say. You will never have another player like Lattimore, well, we will never. At some point you just have to recognize what he has done on and off the field, accept it, make it an issue, and then make it happen. That is my two cents. May not be worth more than that, but it is how I feel.

If someone would like to make the #Retire21 on twitter, I bet it will be trending across the country in less than a day.
Old 12-13-2012, 01:45 AM   #19
FlorenceCock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1200000
FlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot material

The number doesn't need to be retired lol. It is fine if they want to retire his jersey but we don't need to go around retiring numbers. Also it is the policy of the athletic department that if a player leaves early before they graduate their jersey can't be retired. Listen Marcus will never been forgotten and he is indeed one of the greats to play in the garnet and black but he doesn't need to have his number retired. I think people are taking things a little bit to far and letting their emotions get caught up in all of this.
Old 12-13-2012, 01:48 AM   #20
DiamondGamecock
Banned

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlorenceCock View Post
The number doesn't need to be retired lol. It is fine if they want to retire his jersey but we don't need to go around retiring numbers. Also it is the policy of the athletic department that if a player leaves early before they graduate their jersey can't be retired. Listen Marcus will never been forgotten and he is indeed one of the greats to play in the garnet and black but he doesn't need to have his number retired. I think people are taking things a little bit to far and letting their emotions get caught up in all of this.
Not really, emotions are one thing, taking it too far is another. He took us farther than we ever imagined, I think we owe it to him. Even if he disagreed, which I am sure he will because he is humble. Do it anyway.

A garnet colored soundbite on a spiral column is just not enough in my opinion, how do you retire his jersey but not his number? Is his number not part of his jersey?