CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
El Cid Ranger
WeStillOwnUSC
GarnetSwarm1990
taylorssc
USCNowAndForever
gamecockgal
SC Sandlapper
Gamecocks1137
B-G
ConwayGamecock
Interesting quotes f (2040)
Have you ever been s (1237)
Tennessee Offense Br (803)
Key for 2015 defense (741)
Women's Team Ranked (501)
This season and recr (434)
Skai Moore out for U (416)
COCKYTALK GOLF OUTIN (407)
Lebron makes Clevela (333)
SEC Coaches Dress Up (224)
Uniforms for Tenn
***2014 Carolina Panthers
Have you ever been so wro
BLACK OUT!!!!!!!
We're going to the NCAA T
Season Tickets
Key for 2015 defense
Women's Team Ranked #2 In
Wallpaper & Backgroun
2016 - Jovan Kinlaw

Old 12-19-2012, 09:28 AM   #1
gobluejeff86
Walk On

Male

CockyCash: 500
gobluejeff86 is making other chickens nervousgobluejeff86 is making other chickens nervousgobluejeff86 is making other chickens nervousgobluejeff86 is making other chickens nervousgobluejeff86 is making other chickens nervousgobluejeff86 is making other chickens nervousgobluejeff86 is making other chickens nervous
Default Why Woodson won Heisman, and why Clowney can

Hey all-heard Clowney on the radio this morning talking about the Heisman, and I agree he can win it if he's dominant enough. I thought Suh should have won his last year. When Charles Woodson won in '97, he literally took away half the field and keyed our last truly dominant defense. He also ran back some kicks and caught some TD's, but his true brilliance was on defense. If you've never seen the legendary one-handed interception against Michigan State-enjoy, and try to figure out how high he is in the air as he catches a ball that's clearly being thrown away.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jk5u20AuXkE
gobluejeff86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 10:21 AM   #2
yFSC
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 480
yFSC is crowing loudlyyFSC is crowing loudlyyFSC is crowing loudlyyFSC is crowing loudlyyFSC is crowing loudlyyFSC is crowing loudlyyFSC is crowing loudlyyFSC is crowing loudlyyFSC is crowing loudlyyFSC is crowing loudlyyFSC is crowing loudly
Default Re: Why Woodson won Heisman, and why Clowney can

It sure would be interesting to see Clowney get a few looks in the backfield like he did in HS, but that would open him up to big hits, and I wouldn't put it past a few players to try & take him out.
yFSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 10:44 AM   #3
Rebel4ever
The Paradigm Shift

Male

CockyCash: 200
Rebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by yFSC View Post
It sure would be interesting to see Clowney get a few looks in the backfield like he did in HS, but that would open him up to big hits, and I wouldn't put it past a few players to try & take him out.
Interesting, yes. But no way our coaches even consider it.
Old 12-19-2012, 11:18 AM   #4
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

trapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot material

The problem with defensive guys is that you can go away from them, double or triple team them, and because its not stats based when that occurs, they fail to get the votes they deserve.

After this year I will be AMAZED if a purely defensive player ever wins it. I just can't see it happening, not after a Senior Linebacker on an undefeated team playing for the National Championship with great stats (103 tackles, 7 ints, 1 FR, 11 PD and 1.5 sacks) failed to win.
trapper82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 11:53 AM   #5
brat
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 100500
brat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot material

Still say since the SEC refs refuse to call holding on the OL unless it is so blatant and open to view of everyone watching, he can't win. Makes it all but impossible to get the huge number of sacks, forced fumbles, etc. that he would need to be a frontrunner for the award. If the SEC refs called it like in the Clempson game (I still think they did it since they were in an ACC stadium), where he could get lots of sacks, that is another story.

Would love to be proved wrong.
Old 12-19-2012, 12:10 PM   #6
hellraiser24
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1373
hellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by brat View Post
Still say since the SEC refs refuse to call holding on the OL unless it is so blatant and open to view of everyone watching, he can't win. Makes it all but impossible to get the huge number of sacks, forced fumbles, etc. that he would need to be a frontrunner for the award. If the SEC refs called it like in the Clempson game (I still think they did it since they were in an ACC stadium), where he could get lots of sacks, that is another story.

Great point Brat. It is a shame that holding is not as called as much anymore. They need to start calling it more before things get out of hand on the line.

Suh came close to winning it in 2009, but Ingram did put up huge numbers. I think with Teo finishing 2nd this year, earning a lot of first place votes, it paves the way for a true defensive player to win it in the next few years. If Teo won it this year, there would be no way a defensive player could win it next year, but since he lost, the idea of putting a defensive player at #1 on the ballot is a thought that could still be in voters' minds.
"I can do all things through Him who gives me strength" - Philippians 4:13

hellraiser24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 12:26 PM   #7
Mick Chicken
Banned

Male

Mick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellraiser24 View Post
Great point Brat. It is a shame that holding is not as called as much anymore. They need to start calling it more before things get out of hand on the line.

Suh came close to winning it in 2009, but Ingram did put up huge numbers. I think with Teo finishing 2nd this year, earning a lot of first place votes, it paves the way for a true defensive player to win it in the next few years. If Teo won it this year, there would be no way a defensive player could win it next year, but since he lost, the idea of putting a defensive player at #1 on the ballot is a thought that could still be in voters' minds.

I agree. I'm glad T'eo didn't win it this year, partly because he wasn't the best defensive player let alone the best overall player in cfb, but also because that would have made it more difficult for a defensive player to win it this year...but i'm glad he finished 2nd and got so much publicity in the process
Mick Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 12:31 PM   #8
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

trapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellraiser24 View Post

But the voters you are talking about have two major things going for them that will prevent it:

1. All former Heisman winners get a vote, and they are ALL offensive players, minus one that played Defense, Offense and Special teams. By and large, they lean Offensive.

2. Regionally, guys get support. Collin Klein got 60 first place votes this year, and that's just silly. Not surprisingly, they all came from the Midwest. If you were going to vote for a QB in this class it is debatable, but not ridiculous. Voting for Klein over Manziel was laughable after Klein's performance against Baylor.

So basically you have some voters that lean offense no matter what, and you have others that lean their region no matter what, combine that together and you get a situation where a defensive player winning will be rare.
Old 12-19-2012, 12:33 PM   #9
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick Chicken View Post
I agree. I'm glad T'eo didn't win it this year, partly because he wasn't the best defensive player let alone the best overall player in cfb, but also because that would have made it more difficult for a defensive player to win it this year...but i'm glad he finished 2nd and got so much publicity in the process
I'll agree to disagree here. Whether you hate Notre Dame or love Notre Dame, he came up with big defensive plays week after week when they needed them. 7 int's in one season...ridiculous.
Old 12-19-2012, 01:46 PM   #10
usc1
Class of 2013

Male

CockyCash: 420
usc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapper82 View Post
The problem with defensive guys is that you can go away from them, double or triple team them, and because its not stats based when that occurs, they fail to get the votes they deserve.

After this year I will be AMAZED if a purely defensive player ever wins it. I just can't see it happening, not after a Senior Linebacker on an undefeated team playing for the National Championship with great stats (103 tackles, 7 ints, 1 FR, 11 PD and 1.5 sacks) failed to win.
Suh had a better individual year than Teo. 7 INT for a LB to me is more of a guy just being in the right place at the right time.
Old 12-19-2012, 02:09 PM   #11
U-Dub Gamecock
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 58166
U-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by brat View Post

The only time the SEC called holding all effing year long was during the Clemson game... we had 7 holding calls on us (Just 1 for Clemson)..

Only 3 times ALL YEAR LONG was holding called on our opponents...
U-Dub Gamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 02:17 PM   #12
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by usc1 View Post
Suh had a better individual year than Teo. 7 INT for a LB to me is more of a guy just being in the right place at the right time.
Agreed, but the competition for Suh was greater than it was for Te'o. Ingram was a monster for number 1 Alabama that year, and Gerhart had a great season leading the nation in rushes.