CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > iCocky

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
b381l
Gamecocks1137
taylorssc
kingofnerf
4Runner
robgusc76
gamecockgal
Storm Of Spurs
ReadR00ster
QCB
CBS: SOS to Florida? (3186)
Juco QBs? (1173)
SDS grades the Furma (911)
we can STILL win the (905)
Auburn/USC point spr (783)
How do you want Aubu (676)
Whenever I Get Depre (658)
If the Head Ball Coa (514)
Mike Davis Stiff Arm (328)
When did it change ? (245)
CBS: SOS to Florida?
Shamiek Sheppard (2014 Pr
If the Head Ball Coach re
Juco QBs?
Auburn/USC point spread
Cann tipping plays?
Williams and Mitch
How do you want Auburn to
we can STILL win the east
Just started playing &quo

Old 12-22-2012, 02:37 AM   #1
sandstorm2001
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 100700
sandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot material
Default PC build

looking to build a PC. How does Cockytalk feel about these selections?

CPU: AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core Processor

Motherboard: Asus M5A97 ATX AM3+ Motherboard

Memory: Kingston Predator Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2400 Memory

Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

Storage: Plextor M5S Series 64GB 2.5" Solid State Disk

Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB Video Card

Case: Cooler Master HAF 922 ATX Mid Tower Case

Power Supply: XFX ProSeries 750W 80 PLUS Silver Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply

Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B3ST/BLK/G/AS DVD/CD Writer

I haven't decided for sure if I'm going to add the SSD. I would just put it on there to load my OS. Looking to put in Win7 64 bit.
Old 12-22-2012, 02:38 AM   #2
Next Year
Synthetica

Male

CockyCash: 977700
Next Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot material
Default Re: PC build

Hey

Did you ever claim that sweet-ass Carolina Jacket from that other thread?
Old 12-22-2012, 02:46 AM   #3
sandstorm2001
1st Team All-SEC

Male

sandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Next Year View Post
Hey

Did you ever claim that sweet-ass Carolina Jacket from that other thread?
haha, yeah I talked to ElTiger. Gonna try to pick it up from him on Sunday.
Old 12-22-2012, 04:30 AM   #4
USCremedy
This your bush?

Male

CockyCash: 2300
USCremedy is USC mascot materialUSCremedy is USC mascot materialUSCremedy is USC mascot materialUSCremedy is USC mascot materialUSCremedy is USC mascot materialUSCremedy is USC mascot materialUSCremedy is USC mascot materialUSCremedy is USC mascot materialUSCremedy is USC mascot materialUSCremedy is USC mascot materialUSCremedy is USC mascot material

SSD for sure, i added a 128GB OCZ Vertex4 ($100 about a month ago) to my system and I highly recommend it, 5 year replacement warranty if it ever goes bad. 5 second boots, makes no noise. I have the 1TB Caviar black and its quite noisey if you put an OS on it (well mine is, ive read mixed reviews)The noise was the main reason i went SSD/OS and the WD for storage. I promise you wont regret the SSD, you should actually install windows on the WD first then try the SSD so you see the difference.

USCremedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 10:55 AM   #5
The Yancey
Grumpy Old Fart

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 
CockyCash: 4751350
The Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot material

I agree with adding the SSD for your OS. You would benefit from increasing your RAM to at least 12GB though.

Order Of The Spur
The Yancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 12:27 PM   #6
FlorenceCock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1200000
FlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot material

DDR3 ram is so cheap right now you might as well go to 16 gigs. Also I have been an AMD fan my entire life but honestly right now you will get more band for your buck out of a i7. A SSD is a must for a new build but read up and be educated on what you buy because some of them have terrible problems with their controllers. This is a great site to read up on what it current and it also allows you to compare hardware benchmarks so you can see what performs better in certain configurations. The basic i7 2600k beats out the 8350 in just about every category that matters and being a lifelong AMD fan that is hard to write.
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/697?vs=287
Edit: If you still want to go AMD this is a heck of a deal on a 8320 which is just a downclocked 8350 that amazon has right now.
http://www.amazon.com/AMD-FX-Series-...tag=slickdeals

Last edited by FlorenceCock; 12-22-2012 at 02:30 PM.
FlorenceCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 11:47 PM   #7
sandstorm2001
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlorenceCock View Post
DDR3 ram is so cheap right now you might as well go to 16 gigs. Also I have been an AMD fan my entire life but honestly right now you will get more band for your buck out of a i7. A SSD is a must for a new build but read up and be educated on what you buy because some of them have terrible problems with their controllers. This is a great site to read up on what it current and it also allows you to compare hardware benchmarks so you can see what performs better in certain configurations. The basic i7 2600k beats out the 8350 in just about every category that matters and being a lifelong AMD fan that is hard to write.
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/697?vs=287
Edit: If you still want to go AMD this is a heck of a deal on a 8320 which is just a downclocked 8350 that amazon has right now.
http://www.amazon.com/AMD-FX-Series-...tag=slickdeals
according to this website's benchmarks the 8350 is the best CPU you can get for under $200, which fits in my budget pretty nicely.

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?...t-Core&id=1780
Old 12-22-2012, 11:59 PM   #8
nin_usc_freak92
Class of 2015

Male

CockyCash: 3400
nin_usc_freak92 rules the CockPitnin_usc_freak92 rules the CockPitnin_usc_freak92 rules the CockPitnin_usc_freak92 rules the CockPitnin_usc_freak92 rules the CockPitnin_usc_freak92 rules the CockPitnin_usc_freak92 rules the CockPitnin_usc_freak92 rules the CockPitnin_usc_freak92 rules the CockPitnin_usc_freak92 rules the CockPitnin_usc_freak92 rules the CockPit

Definitely agree with the SSD for your OS. I have a 128GB and struggle with space issues on it all the time though (trying to get a 512GB to replace it as soon as I can, but they're pretty pricey). For the record, I only use the 128GB for my OS and software. It's gotten to the point recently that I have had to install some larger programs (think games, Adobe Premiere, photoshop, etc) on my external drives that were intended just for media & document purposes.

I noticed you're going to have a regular 500GB internal HDD as well, so that's good. I only have the SSD, but I have 2 Nvidia GeForce GTX 285M GPU's for SLI purposes.
Old 12-26-2012, 04:43 PM   #9
LeeSC
Melvin bowls...overhand.

Male

CockyCash: 200
LeeSC is USC mascot materialLeeSC is USC mascot materialLeeSC is USC mascot materialLeeSC is USC mascot materialLeeSC is USC mascot materialLeeSC is USC mascot materialLeeSC is USC mascot materialLeeSC is USC mascot materialLeeSC is USC mascot materialLeeSC is USC mascot materialLeeSC is USC mascot material

+1 on the SSD. I put one in my laptop and would never go back. I put my OS and programs that would really benefit from the SSD on that drive (photoshop, etc).

I put in a secondary large HDD for storage and secondary programs.
LeeSC is offline   Reply With Quote