CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
El Cid Ranger
WeStillOwnUSC
GarnetSwarm1990
taylorssc
USCNowAndForever
gamecockgal
SC Sandlapper
Gamecocks1137
B-G
ConwayGamecock
Interesting quotes f (2040)
Have you ever been s (1237)
Tennessee Offense Br (803)
Key for 2015 defense (741)
Women's Team Ranked (501)
This season and recr (434)
Skai Moore out for U (416)
COCKYTALK GOLF OUTIN (407)
Lebron makes Clevela (333)
SEC Coaches Dress Up (224)
Uniforms for Tenn
***2014 Carolina Panthers
Have you ever been so wro
BLACK OUT!!!!!!!
We're going to the NCAA T
Season Tickets
Key for 2015 defense
Women's Team Ranked #2 In
Wallpaper & Backgroun
2016 - Jovan Kinlaw

Old 12-27-2012, 01:16 PM   #1
Garnet Gamecock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 500
Garnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot material
Default Why Doesn't Connor Wear Bigger Pads?

He's still wearing what look like Pop Warner pads compared to what Tajh Boyd wears, for example.

I know he needs range of motion but so do other quarterbacks that seem to wear flak jackets compared to what Connor wears.

I want Connor to truly "run" again instead of just taking off to the sideline at any hint of danger. Since he is recovering from a pretty severe injury, why aren't they changing his pad configuration to give him significantly more protection?

Connor's greatest threat is when he tucks it and runs... and cuts back upfield, making one juke to get past a defender. He hasn't been doing that for some time now because his highest priority is not taking hits.

Last edited by Garnet Gamecock; 12-27-2012 at 01:50 PM.
Garnet Gamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 01:39 PM   #2
uscsandstorm85
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

uscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPit
Default Re: Why Doesn't Connor Wear Bigger Pads?

It's probably just his personal preference. It's time the coaches talk to him about it though. Both QB's need to be healthy in order for USC to make a run next year.
Old 12-27-2012, 01:46 PM   #3
Garnet Gamecock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Garnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscsandstorm85 View Post
It's time the coaches talk to him about it though. Both QB's need to be healthy in order for USC to make a run next year.
He needs to be able to take SEC-type hits again and again and those pee-wee pads he's wearing wouldn't give me an ounce of confidence if I were the quarterback.

I think he is handicapping himself by wearing something that feels more comfortable but gives him zero psychological confidence that he could take a hit. We've got to get him back to where he will run upfield.

When he is 100% healthy next year, I hope and pray that we don't march him back onto the field with this kiddie pads again. We're just asking for trouble if we do.
Old 12-27-2012, 01:48 PM   #4
Mick Chicken
Banned

Male

Mick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot material

I heard Tajh wears pads with wings
Mick Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 01:49 PM   #5
Garnet Gamecock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick Chicken View Post
Now that's funny!!!

Old 12-27-2012, 01:57 PM   #6
MBGCock
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1110145
MBGCock is USC mascot materialMBGCock is USC mascot materialMBGCock is USC mascot materialMBGCock is USC mascot materialMBGCock is USC mascot materialMBGCock is USC mascot materialMBGCock is USC mascot materialMBGCock is USC mascot materialMBGCock is USC mascot materialMBGCock is USC mascot materialMBGCock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garnet Gamecock View Post
He's still wearing what look like Pop Warner pads compared to what Tajh Boyd wears, for example.

I know he needs range of motion but so do other quarterbacks that seem to wear flak jackets compared to what Connor wears.

I want Connor to truly "run" again instead of just taking off to the sideline at any hint of danger. Since he is recovering from a pretty severe injury, why aren't they changing his pad configuration to give him significantly more protection?

Connor's greatest threat is when he tucks it and runs... and cuts back upfield, making one juke to get past a defender. He hasn't been doing that for some time now because his highest priority is not taking hits.
Mobility, throwing motion?
MBGCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 02:01 PM   #7
Garnet Gamecock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBGCock View Post
Mobility, throwing motion?
Why doesn't Tajh have that problem?

Boyd's running was quite effective for a major part of the season and his throwing was just fine (except when he played us, of course).

And it's not just Boyd. Many quarterbacks seem to go with normal to OVERsized pads and still maintain a decent throwing motion and completion percentage.

I think Connor is making a big mistake by going with undersized pads. He's actually a fairly big dude, but when he wears those pads everyone has the impression that he is a midget and they get the idea that he's too short to see his receivers (and so forth).
Old 12-27-2012, 02:11 PM   #8
JohnnyB21
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 1050
JohnnyB21 is USC mascot materialJohnnyB21 is USC mascot materialJohnnyB21 is USC mascot materialJohnnyB21 is USC mascot materialJohnnyB21 is USC mascot materialJohnnyB21 is USC mascot materialJohnnyB21 is USC mascot materialJohnnyB21 is USC mascot materialJohnnyB21 is USC mascot materialJohnnyB21 is USC mascot materialJohnnyB21 is USC mascot material

He's played wide receiver most of his life, they are probably receiver pads because that's what je's used to. Idk

34-17 29-7 34-13 27-17 31-17

Coming for #6 next season!!!

154-71 in past 5 seasons against Clemson.
JohnnyB21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 02:11 PM   #9
MBGCock
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1110145
MBGCock is USC mascot materialMBGCock is USC mascot materialMBGCock is USC mascot materialMBGCock is USC mascot materialMBGCock is USC mascot materialMBGCock is USC mascot materialMBGCock is USC mascot materialMBGCock is USC mascot materialMBGCock is USC mascot materialMBGCock is USC mascot materialMBGCock is USC mascot material

Quote:

Boyd's running was quite effective for a major part of the season and his throwing was just fine (except when he played us, of course).

And it's not just Boyd. Many quarterbacks seem to go with normal to OVERsized pads and still maintain a decent throwing motion and completion percentage.

I think Connor is making a big mistake by going with undersized pads. He's actually a fairly big dude, but when he wears those pads everyone has the impression that he is a midget and they get the idea that he's too short to see his receivers (and so forth).
boyd has a stronger arm than connor, I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it or not but also maybe because of the rotation of his arm? Im just guessing.
MBGCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 02:19 PM   #10
ConwayGamecock
The Classic Double-Take

Male

CockyCash: 71443
ConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot material

Connor also wears grey or black socks, whereas Tyler Bray wears orange socks, because Bray has a stronger arm. I'm not totally sure about this, but it sounds good to me, plus I also get to bring up once again that Connor has a weak arm, so it's all good....
ConwayGamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 02:28 PM   #11
ConwayGamecock
The Classic Double-Take

Male

ConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot material

Old 12-27-2012, 02:30 PM   #12
JAYBEZ
1st Team All-SEC

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Signature 2007 NCAA Bracket Challenge: 2007 NCAA Bracket Challenge - Given for: 1st place Fark Off Winner: Award given for winning a CockyTalk Fark Off - Given for: Winning the Farkoff 
CockyCash: 117561006
JAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot material

Quote:

You should find another example. Using Tajh Boyd as the glowing showpiece he should strive for makes me immediately lose respect for your argument. Tajh wears bigger pads because he is a fat a$$. He is a big lumbering piece of Clemson filth that runs up numbers against JV competition.

Try someone else, then comeback...
Old 12-27-2012, 02:46 PM   #13
MillerTime843
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1135301
MillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAYBEZ View Post
You should find another example. Using Tajh Boyd as the glowing showpiece he should strive for makes me immediately lose respect for your argument. Tajh wears bigger pads because he is a fat a$$. He is a big lumbering piece of Clemson filth that runs up numbers against JV competition.

Try someone else, then comeback...

HAHAHAHAHA
MillerTime843 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 02:53 PM   #14
Indiana Gamecock
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 1250
Indiana Gamecock is developing his combIndiana Gamecock is developing his combIndiana Gamecock is developing his combIndiana Gamecock is developing his combIndiana Gamecock is developing his combIndiana Gamecock is developing his combIndiana Gamecock is developing his combIndiana Gamecock is developing his combIndiana Gamecock is developing his comb

I think it is just appearance. Tajh is considerably larger than Conner.
Old 12-27-2012, 03:02 PM   #15
scfanz
Game MVP

Male

scfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot material

Please do not compare Connor Shaw to Taj Boyd in any way. If Connor wants to wear smaller pads that's his choice.
scfanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 03:07 PM   #16
ZenUSC
Two Deep

Male

ZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPit

The Vandy player who broke Connor's shoulder bone led with his knee. The knee struck only pads but broke a bone. Different shoulder pads would not have helped. That could have been a very serious injury. I thought the SEC should have made a rule change about leading with a knee. A knee is a battering ram with the potential to do more damage than a helmet tackle.
ZenUSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 03:11 PM   #17
TStone
Grammar Nazi

Male

Pumpkin Contest: Winner of the Pumpkin Carving Contest - Given for: Pumpkin Contest 
CockyCash: 4535
TStone is USC mascot materialTStone is USC mascot materialTStone is USC mascot materialTStone is USC mascot materialTStone is USC mascot materialTStone is USC mascot materialTStone is USC mascot materialTStone is USC mascot materialTStone is USC mascot materialTStone is USC mascot materialTStone is USC mascot material

Quote:

I'm confused about what this has to do with your point. Do they make some sort of new fangled foot pads? He's coming off of a foot injury. His shoulder injury has been fine for a while now - and it was in a part of the back where heavier pads wouldn't add a lot of additional protection.
Old 12-27-2012, 03:14 PM   #18
SCohioBoy
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 200
SCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPit

Simple answer, boyd gets hit by Clowney. Shaw takes hits from, well none of the tiggers
Old 12-27-2012, 03:15 PM   #19
ConwayGamecock
The Classic Double-Take

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenUSC View Post
The Vandy player who broke Connor's shoulder bone led with his knee. The knee struck only pads but broke a bone. Different shoulder pads would not have helped. That could have been a very serious injury. I thought the SEC should have made a rule change about leading with a knee. A knee is a battering ram with the potential to do more damage than a helmet tackle.
Plus the VU player didn't hit Connor on the shoulder, or where the pads are the largest. He hit Connor in the back area just below the padded shoulder....still on the pads part, but it's always the lesser padded part of the shoulder pads. Also, the UAB player that struck Connor as he was making his pass, that re-injured him and knocked him out of that game, wasn't on the heaviest padded part of the shoulder pads either, but was into his right pectoral muscle below the shoulder.

I haven't actually seen Connor get hurt in any contact where the contact was on top of his shoulders, where the pads are the thickest. I don't know that any thicker shoulder pads would've prevented Connor's shoulder blade/scapula injury...
Old 12-27-2012, 03:18 PM   #20
unmeaty
Recruit

Male

unmeaty rules the CockPitunmeaty rules the CockPitunmeaty rules the CockPitunmeaty rules the CockPitunmeaty rules the CockPitunmeaty rules the CockPitunmeaty rules the CockPitunmeaty rules the CockPitunmeaty rules the CockPitunmeaty rules the CockPitunmeaty rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick Chicken View Post
Ha!

Aye larfed, muy funnyable.