CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
StormOfTalons
b381l
GarnetBlack&Blue
2000grad
JerseyBird
gromweat
Acockolypse Now
Ahmad
WeStill0wnUSC
NinjaSven
Nick Chubb (6385)
Spurrier Presser (2193)
Spurrier: Davis Will (1704)
Cack's Toast of the (1703)
Rankings (1512)
3-4 "D" Ke (1347)
Update: Brison Willi (1316)
Will Devin ever suit (1099)
Over reacting? (526)
New to Cockytalk... (411)
Update: Brison Williams i
Why won't Spurrier implem
No Fun League Strikes Aga
Cack's Toast of the Game:
2015 Commitment - Shameik
All of our defensive play
Uniform thread
Keeping 2015 together!
Baseball Recruiting Threa
Spurrier Presser

Old 12-29-2012, 11:13 PM   #1
dreammachine
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 500
dreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot material
Default Tight Ends & Game Plan

I sure hope that our TE's get to have a big part in our game plan by SOS. It always seem to me that our TE's were open and when we did throw to them they made big yardage after the catch. I think that we have three of the best in college football and I would love to see them have a large game in our bowl against Michigan.
dreammachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 11:45 PM   #2
Coop2Cocky
Walk On

Male

Coop2Cocky has hatched from the shell
Default Re: Tight Ends & Game Plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreammachine View Post
I sure hope that our TE's get to have a big part in our game plan by SOS. It always seem to me that our TE's were open and when we did throw to them they made big yardage after the catch. I think that we have three of the best in college football and I would love to see them have a large game in our bowl against Michigan.
I think we will start out running, as we should. That will open up the playaction...Big Jus and Busta should have plenty of space. I agree that Jerrell is a good 1 too!
Coop2Cocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 12:10 AM   #3
catdaddy66
Former Walk On in-law

Male

CockyCash: 250018
catdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot material

Welcome to the board Coop! I agree that the run should be primary. But any time during the game the TE's will make plays. Justice will be blocking his garnet a$$ off and can catch whatever is thrown his way. Busta will slip out to an area by hisself and make the defense look silly. But we have to get the run going and that means Connor effin' Shaw!! He is the key that unlocks our offense.
Old 12-30-2012, 12:45 AM   #4
Coop2Cocky
Walk On

Male

Thanks a lot! I've been sitting back reading you guys comments for a few months now. I'm a lifetime Gamecock fan. Grew up in Columbia. Look forward to some great discussions on here...I hope I don't get cussed out like some I've seen on here! Lol!...I'm a big boy. I can take it!
Old 12-30-2012, 12:53 AM   #5
Coop2Cocky
Walk On

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coop2Cocky View Post
Thanks a lot! I've been sitting back reading you guys comments for a few months now. I'm a lifetime Gamecock fan. Grew up in Columbia. Look forward to some great discussions on here...I hope I don't get cussed out like some I've seen on here! Lol!...I'm a big boy. I can take it!
...oh yeah, back to football...I know it's very unlikely this will happen in the bowl game, but does anyone think we could see some 3 TE sets next year? Defenses would have to pick their poison with Ace on the outside, and Busta, Jerrel, and Owens/Rainey all on the field at once. Not to mention B.Wilds, Mike, or Shon in the backfield! With all the depth at WR, we might see some interesting formations next year.
Old 12-30-2012, 12:29 PM   #6
Garnet 4 Life 81
Banned

Male

Garnet 4 Life 81 is sharpening his clawsGarnet 4 Life 81 is sharpening his clawsGarnet 4 Life 81 is sharpening his clawsGarnet 4 Life 81 is sharpening his claws

i would like to see all 3 play, busta, justice and adams. would like to roland play too.

Garnet 4 Life 81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 01:00 PM   #7
cockypanther
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 113355
cockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot material

I would love to see our offense tee off on this Michigan D. Doubtful that will happen as we don't have the most explosive offense, but if we can play mistake free we have a good chance to pound them. Here's to hoping for a 42-10 type game!
cockypanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 02:39 PM   #8
Dizzy01
Starter

Male

Dizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockypanther View Post
I would love to see our offense tee off on this Michigan D. Doubtful that will happen as we don't have the most explosive offense, but if we can play mistake free we have a good chance to pound them. Here's to hoping for a 42-10 type game!
In 7 out of the 12 games the team scored 30 plus points. The only games they didn't hit that mark were against Vandy where the QB was injured, Florida and LSU who were top 10 defenses, Wofford where there were limited possessions and the worst oline play of the season and Clemson. The team has the potential to put up points as long as they don't try to get too cute or deviate too much from what they do.
Dizzy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 02:48 PM   #9
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

When you have guys like Sanders and Ellington who are so explosive, they are going to get most of the targets which leads to only a handful of touches to be spread around to the B receiver, tight ends, and backs. The latter 2, are basically check downs. The Tight Ends are mainly the guys they want to get involved in the redzone and on special plays (such as the Spurrier "pick" play that they use so often). As long as we have playmakers at receiver, you won't see the TEs get Patriot-type touches.

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan
CoverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 03:35 PM   #10
dreammachine
Starter

Male

dreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coop2Cocky View Post
Welcome on board Coop and you sound like me and a lot of other posters when they first got started. I have been a member for a long time and don't have anywhere near the numbers that many of our regular posters do. That being said, most of the time a lot of stuff that I wanted to speak about was already covered by someone else and most of the time they had a better reply than I would have had. Everyone once and a while though, I do have a good question or something that I think the Gamecock Nation should talk about or discuss and I will post it. I hope to do better in the future, but like I stated earlier we do have a lot of very smart football people on this website and I really enjoy reading their posts. Hopefully, you won't have to endure anyone jumping down your throat due to one of your post. I have seen this happen in the past, but not as much anymore unless someone is rude and way, way, off base with their post. Once again, glad to have you on board and my people were from the little mill village of Olympia, SC back in the 1920's before my grandfather moved down to Bath, SC to work in the cotton mills here, which are now all closed down.

Old 12-30-2012, 03:40 PM   #11
dreammachine
Starter

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post
When you have guys like Sanders and Ellington who are so explosive, they are going to get most of the targets which leads to only a handful of touches to be spread around to the B receiver, tight ends, and backs. The latter 2, are basically check downs. The Tight Ends are mainly the guys they want to get involved in the redzone and on special plays (such as the Spurrier "pick" play that they use so often). As long as we have playmakers at receiver, you won't see the TEs get Patriot-type touches.
C2, you are correct with the way Coach Spurrier runs his O-Game Plan, but I sure do wish that he would utilize our TE's more. I remember for years how Georgia would kill us with good size TE's that would go out just far enough and get them a first down and before you knew it Georgia would be inside the 20 yard line with these dump off passes to their tight ends. Just my humble opinion with the studs that we have playing at tight end we should use them more. I do give way to Coach Spurrier and his play calling, but I think just like the running attack, throwing to your tight ends will open up the long ball to your wide outs.
Old 12-30-2012, 03:59 PM   #12
Dizzy01
Starter

Male

Dizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot material

Spurrier has adapted some with the TEs especially along the seams. Jared Cook before and now Busta have made the TE seam route a successful part of the offense. I think next year with Cunnigham gone there will be more throws to the TE as Cunnigham was more of a blocker/safety valve guy.
Old 12-30-2012, 04:14 PM   #13
ZenUSC
Blue Chip

Male

ZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy01 View Post
Spurrier has adapted some with the TEs especially along the seams. Jared Cook before and now Busta have made the TE seam route a successful part of the offense. I think next year with Cunnigham gone there will be more throws to the TE as Cunnigham was more of a blocker/safety valve guy.
I think the opposite is true. We will be undersized at TE next year. TEs primarily are the 6th and 7th lineman. Pass catching is a plus but not the primary function.
The TE position was used this year more than it will be next year due to Cunningham's NFL size and speed.
ZenUSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 05:49 PM   #14
Goofyboy
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Goofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot material

Quote:
The TE position was used this year more than it will be next year due to Cunningham's NFL size and speed.
???
Cunningham has developed a good pair of hands, is a tough blocker, but speed isn't one of his best assets. Busta and Adams have very good, near WR speed, height, and are filling out. Owens is tall, strong, and getting bigger, but isn't fast. The blocking is what we will miss - Busta and Owens are better pass targets.
Goofyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 05:51 PM   #15
Dizzy01
Starter

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenUSC View Post
I think the opposite is true. We will be undersized at TE next year. TEs primarily are the 6th and 7th lineman. Pass catching is a plus but not the primary function.
The difference is much like when Cook was starting you have tremendous mismatches as very few LBs have the speed and very few DBs have the size to cover these guys. Cook was a big part of the passing game even though he was a weak blocker and Spurrier will use his weapons.
Old 12-30-2012, 09:12 PM   #16
FanofCarolina1
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 925
FanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot material

I love watching the TE's get the ball when they don't have to sit back and help protect the QB.
Old 12-30-2012, 09:43 PM   #17
ucan'tlickourcocks
The "other" M. Lattimore

Male

CockyCash: 991000000
ucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot material

Give SOS a month to prepare, I know we will have a solid game plan....... including using the TE some, particularly in key situations.....

But in my opinion, we win this game running the ball...... Miles, Davis, & Carson will be ready to show out....... assuming our O-line can create some holes!

If we can run the ball, we win going away......... if we can't, going to be a tough game!
Old 12-30-2012, 09:56 PM   #18
COCK PIT
Recruit

Male

COCK PIT is learning to peckCOCK PIT is learning to peck

Tight ends are game changers. When the opposing team is able to press and stuff the run the tight ends can be the one thing that gets the offense going. I actually think we could us them a lot more up the seam. Mattison like to blitz and we can definitely use some quick vertical routes to make them hesitate.
COCK PIT is offline   Reply With Quote