CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
Spurticus
GarnetSwarm1990
Sandstorm29
NinjaSven
WeStillOwnUSC
kingofnerf
Jim Lahey
Storm Of Spurs
roosterdude21
So, why is next year (2715)
Why do so many of yo (1348)
Shot in the arm for (1049)
Schuyler Rimmer 6'10 (941)
Custom Jersey (540)
5 Gourmet Foods That (464)
looks like we have 2 (362)
Abu Bowl Ready (350)
The pets holiday din (226)
75 Best Bakeries in (184)
looks like we have 2 OL r
**USC vs. Clemson GAME Th
BEST GAMECOCK FOOTBALL PL
5 Gourmet Foods That Used
The Vent and Coaching cha
Shot in the arm for the D
Nosovitch/bowl/ question.

Old 01-03-2013, 12:21 AM   #1
STEPHONGILMOREFAN!
4-time heisman

Male

CockyCash: 450
STEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot material
Default quarterback competition 2013

So aside from the other threads.. I was talkin to a few of my friends on the football team.. and all of them seem to think that dylan is going to take the job durin spring and summer. It was interesting to hear it from the players instead of just fans.
Old 01-03-2013, 12:28 AM   #2
b381l
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1000052205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material
Default Re: quarterback competition 2013

I'm sure the WR and TE will be happy about that. I heard Connor is going to have surgery on his foot, so maybe this will jumpstart Dylan's progress this spring. I have a tremendous respect for what Connor has done, I just think Dylan is a better QB.
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:37 AM   #3
cofcgamecock9
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 100500
cofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot material

I just think it is awesome that we have Coach Spurrier to get to work with these guys and decide who should play. Hell, we are 22-4 in the past two seasons. He seems to have a pretty good handle on it.

If Dylan starts then I think that is pretty awesome because it would mean that Spurrier must be confident in his abilities to give him the starting job over a senior that is 17-3 as a starter. That would be pretty exciting.

If Connor starts then I will think that is pretty awesome because Spurrier must think that Connor is working hard and deserves to keep being the starter.

Hell, to be honest with you, what would excite me the most would be for Connor Mitch to come in and get the starting job or for Nosovitch to get the starting job. Do you know how good that would mean they would have to be in the spring and fall if Spurrier thought they deserved to be the starter over CS or DT. They would have to be lighting it up. That would be pretty awesome.
cofcgamecock9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:57 AM   #4
DiamondGamecock
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 600
DiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spurs

Dylan.. well IMO it is his job to lose.. talking to some of my friends on the football team they said.. WATCH THE F* OUT for Mitch..

hey they said it not me
DiamondGamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:32 AM   #5
LegalCock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1500
LegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot material

I think he'll probably go with whoever has the better fall camp to start the season and work the other guy in and just go with the hot hand. He's always had the philosophy that it is no big deal to rotate guys in, just like hoops and if one guy is on fire, he plays more.
LegalCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:55 AM   #6
Spur's Addiction
Been caught moddin'...

Male

CockyCash: 200
Spur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalCock View Post
I think he'll probably go with whoever has the better fall camp to start the season and work the other guy in and just go with the hot hand. He's always had the philosophy that it is no big deal to rotate guys in, just like hoops and if one guy is on fire, he plays more.
This
Old 01-03-2013, 10:08 AM   #7
MWard
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 94340
MWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot material

In B4 Hellraiser calls bullshit!

-Abo Swinney, April 23, 2014

http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/po...steve-spurrier
MWard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:08 AM   #8
Emery
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1000
Emery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot material

I know this isn't based on anything as far as stats, wins/loses, etc. but I like the way our offense looks with Dylan. It seems like everyone is more crisp or something.
Emery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:17 AM   #9
BigSteven34
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 35360615
BigSteven34 is USC mascot materialBigSteven34 is USC mascot materialBigSteven34 is USC mascot materialBigSteven34 is USC mascot materialBigSteven34 is USC mascot materialBigSteven34 is USC mascot materialBigSteven34 is USC mascot materialBigSteven34 is USC mascot materialBigSteven34 is USC mascot materialBigSteven34 is USC mascot materialBigSteven34 is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to BigSteven34

It is going to be fun watching this unfold, it will also be a bit sad because one of the many fine quarterbacks we have is going to be second string. I like both Connor and Dylan, I think they are both good quarterbacks with a lot of potential. May the best one win!
BigSteven34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:35 AM   #10
scfanohio
Blue Chip

Male

scfanohio has developed his gaff and talonsscfanohio has developed his gaff and talonsscfanohio has developed his gaff and talonsscfanohio has developed his gaff and talonsscfanohio has developed his gaff and talonsscfanohio has developed his gaff and talonsscfanohio has developed his gaff and talonsscfanohio has developed his gaff and talonsscfanohio has developed his gaff and talonsscfanohio has developed his gaff and talonsscfanohio has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
Originally Posted by b381l View Post
I have a tremendous respect for what Connor has done, I just think Dylan is a better QB.
That is exactly how I feel and you said it better than I could. As fans I hope we look at this as a benefit, not a competition. To have two dependable quarterbacks we can win with is amazing, and the thought that we have two more young ones that may be winners as well is a new world for us.

I've always subscribed to the "if you have two quarterbacks you don't have one" theory until Tuesday. I'm so glad Dylan started those two games and played in the second quarter of this one. When he was needed on the last drive there weren't any deer in the headlights throws like in his first series at Vandy. It was all business, he knew what to do and SOS had the full playbook available.

One more note....every other coach, with 17 seconds left, facing a 52 yard field goal, only one time out, and backup QB in the game, throws short out routes or a medium range pass to get in field goal range. That's what Michigan defended. We run go routes to the end zone. Got to love it.
scfanohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:47 AM   #11
davidmc467
Little Engine That Could

Male

CockyCash: 500
davidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot material

I think we see Spurrier solidify a two-quarterback system.

They both can bring a lot to the game.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:51 AM   #12
Cocky2001
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 0
Cocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by scfanohio View Post
One more note....every other coach, with 17 seconds left, facing a 52 yard field goal, only one time out, and backup QB in the game, throws short out routes or a medium range pass to get in field goal range. That's what Michigan defended. We run go routes to the end zone. Got to love it.
Well, there were two reasons for that...

1. We had a QB that could do it...

2. We had already misfired on 2 fg attempts on that getting sloppier field...

(3. Spurrier hates field goals!")
to come true." Bodhi.
Cocky2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:21 PM   #13
Flameout12
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocky2001 View Post
Well, there were two reasons for that...

1. We had a QB that could do it...

2. We had already misfired on 2 fg attempts on that getting sloppier field...

(3. Spurrier hates field goals!")
And of course we threw it to one of our best playmakers. Thanks Bruce for the great play!
Flameout12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:27 PM   #14
Acockolypse Now
L-I-V-I-N

Male

CockyCash: 45000175
Acockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot material

Here's hoping we see a healthy Connor Shaw in 2013. Dude played through pain the entire year.

It's nice to have the talent we have at QB now, whereas before we never had a capable backup, but that invariably leads to the tiresome QB controversy threads that seem to pop up like mushrooms after a rain shower.

I'll let Spurrier and Mangus decide.
Old 01-03-2013, 12:27 PM   #15
The Yancey
Grumpy Old Fart

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 
CockyCash: 4751350
The Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot material

SOS said after the game that all positions will be open going into spring camp. Competition is a good thing. I doubt that things will be really set until fall though. Still, spring should give us a good indication of who is progressing. One thing is obvious though: in the SEC you really need to have 2 capable QB's. Maybe 3 since both Shaw and Thompson were dinged up by the end of the bowl game. Shaw, Thompson, Nosovitch, Mitch: This will be a VERY interesting spring!

Order Of The Spur
The Yancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:56 PM   #16
scfanohio
Blue Chip

Male

scfanohio has developed his gaff and talonsscfanohio has developed his gaff and talonsscfanohio has developed his gaff and talonsscfanohio has developed his gaff and talonsscfanohio has developed his gaff and talonsscfanohio has developed his gaff and talonsscfanohio has developed his gaff and talonsscfanohio has developed his gaff and talonsscfanohio has developed his gaff and talonsscfanohio has developed his gaff and talonsscfanohio has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yancey View Post
SOS said after the game that all positions will be open going into spring camp. Competition is a good thing.
If somebody beats out that defensive end, #7, we're going to be real good next year.
scfanohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:01 PM   #17
Lonnie
Band

Male

Lonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot material

NM

Lonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:11 PM   #18
b381l
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1000052205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

I think the reason our 2 QB system will work is because they like and respect each other and there is absolutely no jealously or bitterness between them. They are both 100% team first players......it doesn't get any better than that. There will be games where we need more running so Connor plays more, then there will be games where we need more passing so Dylan plays more. I just have a really good feeling about us playing both next year. And I think SOS will be able to take it from there.
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:39 PM   #19
me4USC
Blue Chip

Male

me4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot material

I am so tired of this, but I'm like a rubbernecker passing a wreck. I can't help myself. I just have to keep reading the threads.

Mitch will not beat out either Shaw or Thompson this year. He doesn't have ANY college experience. Both Shaw and Thompson do. Mitch should be redshirted.

me4USC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:42 PM   #20
FanofCarolina1
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 2462144
FanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot material

Well Shaw will have surgery on his foot and miss the spring so yeah, Dylan will take the reigns in Spring and summer.